Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Darkest Year Yet by School owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 6
Start of term

As Molly promised she woke them all up for supper. Remus got much better. The days flew by and soon it was the time for the carriages to arrive. Harry walked outside with Ron, Hermione and Ginny. They saw Neville with Trevor his frog. “Hi, Harry! Did you have a good summer? I did. My grandma bought me a new wand. Look at it!” He said excitedly.

Neville pulled out a new shiny wand. Ginny saw her friends and ran over to them. Dean, Seamus and other Gryffindors came out and talked to Harry, Ron and Hermione. They soon saw some of their favorite people; (NOT!) Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. “Potter, the dementors are coming. Oh, no! Did I mention that the dark lord is coming to kill everyone you didn’t? I can’t believe that you killed your own godfather.” Malfoy said.

The D.A heard this and started yelling at Malfoy and his friends. Some raised their wands, but Harry said, “No. Don’t fire.”

Malfoy and his friends went away in fear that they would hurt them. “Come on. Let’s go to the feast.” Hermione said.

“Okay.” Ron and Harry said.

They walked inside and sat down at the Gryffindor table. “Attention please.” Professor McGonagall said.

Dumbledore stood up and said, “Welcome to Hogwarts. We will start the sorting and then I have many important announcements.”

The sorting hat sang its song and then everyone was sorted. Dumbledore stood again and spoke softly and sadly, “As many of you know, Voldemort has returned to a human form again. We are all targets. The D.A that was started will continue, legally, and will be expanded to all that wish to defend themselves. Also Professor Lupin will fill the Defense against the Dark Arts post. No one will be allowed into the Forbidden Forest. When you leave for Hogsmeade you will be accompanied by an adult. I wish to acknowledge a new student from a school in America. Her name is Nicole Campbell. Please stand up and tell us about yourself.”

“Hello.” A girl said standing up at the Gryffindor table. Her hair was pulled to the side in a side pony tail. She had wavy blonde hair. Her red short sleeve shirt said ‘I could talk all day’. She wore faded jeans. She looked spunky and Harry felt that she was going to be a cool person. “My name is Nicole, but I like to be called Nicky. I come from an American school called Washington High. To muggles it looks like a normal school, but it’s really a magic school like yours. It looked small on the outside, but it had an expansion charm on it so it was bigger on the inside. I know all of your classes as I had them at my school. Well, that’s all that you need to know now, but if you want to ask me questions I would be happy to answer them.”

She sat down. Everyone clapped loudly. Dumbledore stood up and said, “Enjoy the feast.”

The food appeared magically and everyone ate. Time passed and it was time to go to the common room. Nicky appeared at Harry’s side as people left the great hall. “Could you please tell me where to go?” She asked.

“Sure. I’m…” Harry began.

“Harry James Potter. Best friends Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley. In your first year you found out about the Sorcerer’s Stone. That is a long story. Anyway to your second year you found where the Chamber of Secrets was and saved Ginny Weasley from Tom Riddle a.k.a Voldemort. You also made an illegal potion, of which the headmaster doesn’t know you made. In…” Nicky said.

“Wait! How do you know all of this stuff? It’s like. I dunno. Weird.” Harry said.

Nicky eyes flashed and he could see that she wanted to tell him something. “Harry, I’ll tell you sometime, I promise. I really want to tell you, but…” She said.

“Harry!” Hermione yelled form the stairs.

“Are you coming mate?” Ron asked.

Harry said, “Follow me.” And walked off.

Nicky followed carefully and at a single noise pulled out her wand. “Nicky are you okay?” Harry asked.

She nodded dully. “Harry who’s this?” Ron asked.

Hermione looked as if Ron was an alien. “Ron, she’s Nicky. Do you ever pay attention?” Hermione asked.

“Yes. I do. I just forgot.” Ron said defensively.

“Yeah well; anyway I’m Hermione Granger.” Hermione said putting out her hand.

Nicky shook it. She looked as if she already knew this and let Ron introduce himself. “Miss Campbell, may we see you?” Professor McGonagall asked.

They were all standing in the hallway leading to the common room. Dumbledore was with Professor McGonagall. “Sure.” Nicky said to the adults, and then she faced Harry, Ron and Hermione. “I hope we can talk again. I got to go.” She whispered to Harry though, “If you want answers meet me by the lake at 12 and wear your invisibility cloak.”

She walked behind Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall and they disappeared. Harry, Ron and Hermione walked into the crowded common room. They chatted happily with their friends. The room was getting rowdy and out of control. Just as Dean let off an I-hate-potions confetti balloon, Professor McGonagall walked in. “Dean clean that mess up now.” Her voice was sharp and harsh.

Nicky was right behind her. While Professor McGonagall sorted out the mess in the common room, Hermione suddenly said, “Oh no! Tomorrow’s the start of the term. I really need to get sleep. You two should do the same. Nicky, if you’d like I could show you your bed.”

“Thanks. I just need to study for the beginning of the term. I really want to be prepared. As I have heard, that Professor Snape is one tough cookie to the Gryffindors.” Nicky said.

“Okay then. Good night Ron, Harry.” Hermione said.

“’Night ‘Mione.” Ron said. He yawned.

“Yeah, I think I’ll go to bed too.” Ron added.

“I’ll stay here and study too.” Harry said.

“Umm… okay Harry.” Hermione said looking oddly at him. After they all said goodnight, Hermione went into the girls’ dorm and Ron the boys. Soon the common room was empty. Harry had his cloak and asked Nicky if she was ready. She nodded. They slipped on the cloak and went to the lake. They pulled off the cloak and sat by the lake. The lake was beautiful tonight. The full moon reflected against the lake. The stars glowed. “How do you know so much about me and my friends?” Harry finally asked.

Nicky sighed and said, “I know because I have been sent here by my headmistress on a certain mission. You too Harry are on this mission. I cannot tell you what it is. There is a time for questions and a time for answers. This is the time for questions. Someday, will be the day for answers. Harry. You know as well as I do, that Voldemort will kill many this year. I know you will wept for many of them will be friends and people you know. I am telling you to be strong. Do not give in. I know the future is a wonderful and terrible thing. You shall conquer and be conquered. Have faith Harry.”

“Do you know someone I know has died?” He asked.

“Yes. I know everything about your life that even Dumbledore does not know. I am a child like you. I too have feelings. I am very sorry about Sirius. Do not let it drag you on though.” Nicky said.

“Oh Nicky. Please help me. I am not sure that my friends feel the pain I feel.” Harry begged.

“Yes, they don’t feel the exact pain you feel, but they feel the pain never the less. Remus has lost all of his friends. Do you know the pain he feels? As I have said, many will die. If you cry, then you will cry forever. Do not cry because many will die. I am preparing you for the path that lies ahead. There are only two choices; the easy way, and the right way. Only you can tell which one is the best. Your choice will change the course of the future.” Nicky said softly to him.

They sat on the grassy shores gazing at the lake in complete silence. “What path would you choose, Nicky?” Harry asked.

She let out a deep breath. “I cannot tell you. You must choose it yourself.”

Harry sat there thinking of everything that happened. He did something next that shocked himself and Nicky. He bent over and kissed her on the cheek. As he did so he noticed a warm glow to her. He felt strength and comfort around her. “Harry,” Nicky said ever so softly, “We must get back to the castle before anyone finds out we’re gone.”

They got up and stole one last glance at the moon and headed for the castle. Nicky through the cloak over Harry and walked with her wand withdrawn. The two made it to the common room safely. Harry took off the cloak and said goodnight and left. Nicky did the same.

Nicky slept well and so did Harry. In the morning Nicky changed into her Gryffindor robes and had her hair at full length. During breakfast everyone was looking to see what they would be going to. “Hey!” Harry said to Ron, Hermione and Nicky, “We all have potions together before lunch. That’s great we can suffer together.”

“What a coincidence. I have potions at the same time.” Draco said. “Isn’t that lucky that I get stuck with idiots?”

“Not really.” Ron muttered.

Nicky put out her hand and said brightly, “Good morning. My name is Nicky. What’s yours?”

“Draco Malfoy. If you might want a suggestion, you could hang out with my crowd instead of those three.” Draco said.

“Thanks. Sadly, I don’t like losers, stuck ups or anyone named Draco Malfoy. Hey, you fit all three, so sorry. I won’t hang out with you or your friends.” Nicky said.

Pumpkin juice squirted out Ron’s nose and everyone was laughing at what Nicky said. Draco went away embarrassed. Harry high-fived her and Hermione said, “Well done.”

Ron just kept laughing. Too bad in a few months or weeks this is going to go away, Nicky thought; only sadness will fill these halls.

A loud noise filled the room. I thought…Nicky thought.

The time is now. A voice replied.

I am not ready. Nicky responded.

Yes, you are. You were born ready. The voice said.

Nicky pulled out her wand. She ran to the doors. Others called her back, but she was ready. Nicky opened the doors and saw only two wet death eaters. She laughed. The others didn’t though. “Voldemort has full power and he brings these two here. Has he gone crazy?” She said.

The two looked around dazed and said, “Who are you?”

Nicky thought for a moment and said, “Harry Potter.”

She almost laughed at this. “Get him!” One yelled.

Nicky was too quick though, she body-binded them, before they had a chance. “Harry Potter, for your information is a boy. I am clearly a girl.” She said smiling.

Dumbledore went over to them and did what he had to do (that was long and boring, so I won’t tell you). The rest of the kids went to their classes. Soon it was potions. Harry and everyone else dreaded this moment. Snape walked into the room and said, “Miss Campbell is it not?”

“Yes, my last name is Campbell. My first name is Nicky though and would prefer if you called me that. You only say someone’s last name out of respect. As I would call you Professor Snape.” Nicky said.

“Let’s see what you know. Or do Americans think they’re too good to do it.”

“I am skilled in D.A.D.A and potions. Try what you may, you cannot stump me.” Nicky said challenging Snape with her brown eyes flaming.

“Fine.” Snape spat. “If you think you’re so good. Wolfsbane potion.”

“Sure. If you’re not going to use it as it can only be used in a full moon.” Nicky said.

“Fine. Do you know about Occlumency?” Snape said.

“Yes, look. You are wasting everyone’s time trying to stump me.” Nicky said.

“What is Occlumency?” Snape pushed on.

“It’s a…” She began.

“Legilimens!” Snape said.

Nicky braced herself and said, “Protego!”

The spell went back to Snape. Snape repelled it. “Very good.” Snape said stiffly.

“There. I answered all of your questions correctly. Now, please go on with the class.” Nicky said.

“Why does a Gryffindor challenge Professor Snape? Are you a snob?” Draco asked.

“I challenge him because I want to prove a point. That point is that we are all equal. No matter what house. I do not think of myself as a snob. You are allowed to think what you want of me. However, I will know that it is not true.” Nicky said.

The Gryffindors were looking at Nicky as if they saw her for the first time. Slytherins were cheering Draco and Snape on. The two looked at Nicky as if she was a human with ten arms or something. “Look, Nick. I know that you think of yourself highly, but your not. You’re a mud blood!” Draco said.

Everyone gasped. “My name is either Nicole or Nicky, but not ‘Nick’. So what? I am not the only muggle born in here. It doesn’t matter what our heritage is. I mean you came from a bunch of idiotic, dumb, death eater family! Who cares? It’s the person that matters. And you Draco are just like your family!” Nicky said loudly.

The Gryffindors were up on their feet clapping. The Slytherins looked taken back. Draco sat down and Snape sat at his desk and began to scribble something on a piece of parchment. “Give this to Professor McGonagall. You have detention for a week.” Snape said to Nicky.

Nicky walked to the front of the room and took the parchment. “Thank you Professor.” Nicky said quietly.

Snape sneered. Suddenly Harry fell to the floor screaming. “Class dismissed.” Snape said quickly and rushed to Harry’s side.

Everyone left except for Hermione, Ron and Nicky. Nicky knelt beside Harry and spoke to him softly. Her voice had a kindness and warmth to it. It was almost like a soothing song. Harry felt her warmth as she moved her hands to his head. She pulled his hands off of his head. She kept talking to him. Harry stopped moving and lay still. “Professor, do you have a soothing potion?” Nicky said her voice still soft.

Hermione and Ron looked at Nicky amazed. Somehow she calmed Harry. Snape nodded dully, also amazed. Snape got up and brought a little to Nicky. Nicky lifted Harry’s head and poured some of the potion down Harry’s throat. Harry felt stronger. “Ron get Professor McGonagall and Hermione get Dumbledore quickly!” Nicky said urgently.

They did as they were told. Nicky sat by Harry. Snape asked, “How did you know what potion to use? How did you calm Harry like that?”

Nicky looked at him and spoke in a beautiful voice, “I know what to use because I am the head student in my year; much like Hermione. I calmed Harry by simply speaking to him in a gentle way; nothing more, nothing less.”

A thunder of running feet was heard. Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall appeared at the door with Ron and Hermione. Dumbledore walked over to Harry and Professor McGonagall followed. “What happened?” Dumbledore asked Nicky.

“He fell out of his seat screaming, sir. I gave him a soothing potion. I am not sure why he fell though.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore bent over Harry and asked him, “What did you see?”

“Voldem… Voldemort ordered his death eaters to kill some muggles at a dance club. He said after they did that then they could come into Hogsmeade and kill as many as they wish.” Harry said weakly.

Professor McGonagall ran out after hearing that to get some of the order on it. “Hermione, Ron get Harry up to the common room to rest. Lupin will be up shortly to take the place of Professor McGonagall tonight. She is on a mission.” Dumbledore said.
“No one will go back to classes.”

“Would you like me to, professor?” Nicky asked.

“No! Not if we can avoid it. No, stay with Harry and his friends.” Dumbledore said sharply.

“I can…” Nicky began.

“No. Go on now.” Dumbledore said.

Hermione, Ron and Harry look confused. However they went up stairs to the common room with Nicky.



A/N- That was probably everyone’s favorite chapter! It was mine. Sorry it was so long. If you’re confused that’s okay. All of your questions will be answered. Please REVIEW!!! REVIEW and please, be kind when you review. Thanks, School owl.