Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Darkest Year Yet by School owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 8

Life and Death

“She said that if…” Nicky began, but she suddenly stopped and pulled out her wand.

The others looked around. A voice muttered something and before anyone could react Nicky fell to the ground. The person ran away and there was no use in trying to stop the person. Everyone crowded around Nicky. She didn’t look to good at all. Despite her looks, she sat up. She then stood up. Even though everyone told her to sit down. “Look,” She said, “They are trying to hold us up, we must move quickly.”

“No. You have been hit with an unknown curse and you could be hurt. Sit down.” Dumbledore said.

“Please. If I sit down, then we’ll waste time. We must be swift.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore gave her a hard stern look and said, “Remember.”

That single word gave her a look of shock on her face and she sat down in a chair. “Thank you. Remus get Poppy and tell her to hurry.” Dumbledore said.

The others sat down. “Nicky. Will you be okay? I mean, I so concerned about my mother. I don’t want to worry about you too.” Ginny said.

A pained look came across her face for a moment, but she replaced it with a smile. Keep everyone calm. Don’t worry them. She thought.

“Nicky. Please don’t do this to me. Do you remember what you said to me? The easy way is for you to cover your pain. The right way is to tell us what’s wrong.” Harry said.

Nicky laughed a hollow laugh. “I guess you did listen to me then. You’re right though. I am in pain. I know what caused it to. Please do not fear for me.”

“What is it?” Hermione asked.

“If I told you, you would be frightened Hermione.” Nicky said.

“No she wouldn’t. I really want to know Nicky.” Ron said.

Nicky muttered something to Dumbledore. Dumbledore’s eyes widened with shock. “Do not move. I had no idea. Why would you be a target though?” He asked.

“It’s quite obvious. I show up out of no where. I protect Harry. Anything standing in the way of Harry has to be taken care of. That’s what they think. I was in the way, now I am out of they way. Now they have one more thing blocking Harry. You, Dumbledore. You cannot fail.” Nicky said softly.

She no longer moved. “Oh no.” Ginny muttered again and again.

Ron, Hermione and Harry sat quietly in fear. A few minutes later Madam Pomfrey and Remus came in. Dumbledore told Madam Pomfrey what happened in a few whispers. She let out a gasp. “To St. Mungo’s that’s where she’ll go. I have no experience with this…dark magic.” Madam Pomfrey said grimly.

“You guys may get to see Molly after all.” Remus said.

As soon as they got to St. Mungo’s, Nicky was taken away by healers. They found where Molly was and went in. “Mum?” Ginny said gently.

“Hello Ginny dear.” Molly said happily.

This made all of them jump. “We had no clue that you were well.” Remus said.

“Yes, the healers do a good job. I am going to leave soon I think.” Molly said.

Everyone started to chat happily. Meanwhile…Nicky felt like she was floating. On a cloud away from here. She was spinning higher and higher. She felt like she was going to burst. Her mind slowed down, but not before she heard ‘This girl is going to die.’

Fear was not a problem for her. She had no fears…until now. She didn’t want to die. It wasn’t her time. She needed to save Harry.

A healer pulled Dumbledore aside to tell him the girl was dying and that her friends should be there when she does. Everyone gathered around Nicky to say goodbye.

“Bye Nicky. I really wanted to know you better.” Ginny said.

“I thought next year you’d be a good keeper. ‘Cause I stink.” Ron said with a sad chuckle.

“You were so clever. I really wanted to read with you in the library.” Hermione said.

“You taught me an important lesson in life. I will never forget it. I will not weep.” Harry said.

They turned to leave.

“You can still know me. I am not going anywhere, but I see you are. I don’t want to be keeper, thank you Ron though. I will read in the library with you Hermione sometime. I am glad that you learned a lesson from me Harry. Perhaps there will be more.” Nicky said softly.

They all stopped. Did she just talk? “I am not going to die today. Thank you very much. I still have much to do at Hogwarts.” Nicky said.

“NICKY! You’re alive!!” Ron yelled in shock.

Even Dumbledore and Remus looked shocked. The healer ran back into the room. “How can it be? What is your full name?” The healer asked.

“Nicole Ann Campbell.”

“Where are you from?”

“Maryland. It’s in the U.S.”

“Wha…”

“I am fine, believe me. I don’t want to cause trouble, but this is quiet ridicules Mister.” Nicky said.

“Just to be sure though. Does she act normal?” The healer asked.

“Yes.” Dumbledore said.

“Well. Nicky you should be dead. I don’t know what happened. Just like Harry here should be dead. I don’t get this group. It like nobody dies.” The healer said.

Nicky looked as if she realized something. They discharged both Nicky and Molly. The healer’s said that for both to live was an amazing victory. “What are you thinking Nicole?” Dumbledore asked as they walked away to Hogwarts.

“Well, what that healer said is wrong, we cannot die physically, but by a broken heart, we’re as good as dead.” Nicky said.

“True. Perhaps the key to this mystery lies within. Emotion will set you free.” Dumbledore said.

Nicky laughed fully, “We hold secrets, tell them in riddles and have no clue what the other is saying.”

Dumbledore smiled. Soon they arrived at Hogwarts. Molly decided to go home though. Snape was waiting for them. “I found one…dead.” He said pointing to the dark mark hovered above the Gryffindor tower.

They all gasped. Who would it be?

It was Dean Thomas.

“How did this happen?” Dumbledore asked walking quickly with the children following in his wake.

“I have no clue. I kept the kids away from the Gryffindor tower. I can’t describe it sir. It was…I am not sure.” Snape said.

Harry said, “Wait. I think you four better stay outside. I am not sure what they did, but it’s probably not good.”

Dumbledore nodded in agreement. Professor McGonagall was waiting inside. Dean lay in the middle of the floor with papers everywhere in the common room. Harry moved towards Dean. He pulled a note from his hand it said:

Potter, all of your friends will die. Unless you die first. It’s either them or you. This boy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Next time it might be Ron, Hermione or Ginny. I’ve meet Ginny before. I bet the others are dying to see me. Or it could be Nicky (If she didn’t die already). Yes, I’m watching you. Waiting for you.

Deadly good pal,

Lord Voldemort

“Read this professor.” Harry said.

Dumbledore read it. “Go check the boy’s dorm with Remus.” He said.

Harry did and there was a little snooping done, but not much. Many of his papers were thrown around, but other than that not much was changed. Remus looked at everything to make sure it wasn’t ‘dangerous’. “There’s not much damage.” Harry reported to Dumbledore.

“I suppose that Professor McGonagall will have to talk to his parents. Could you…” Dumbledore began.

“I’m not sure.” Harry said quickly.

Dumbledore searched his face. “Okay. I understand. Could you please bring the others in?”

Harry nodded and brought the kids in. Everyone gasped at the papers everywhere and Dean’s empty face, everyone that is except Nicky. Nicky dropped to Dean’s side. She observed him carefully. “There’s nothing you can do Nicole.” Dumbledore said to her.

“Maybe. Maybe not. If a person is dead, they do not breathe. They breathe if a person is alive. Revivous.” She said pointing her wand at Dean.

Everyone stared. No spell can awaken the dead. Could it? Dean moved a bit. Once again everyone gasped. Dean was breathing. Nicky spoke to him. Her voice carried magic it’s self. “Dean. Do you know who I am?” She asked gently.

“Yes. You’re Nicky.” Dean said weakly.

“Did you know that Gryffindors are brave?” Nicky asked.

Dean nodded on the floor. He felt a warm presence with her there. He felt a little of his pain leave him. “Good. If you are a true Gryffindor then you could tell me what happened here. Who did this?” Nicky said.

Everyone was hanging on to every word they said. “I don’t really remember. It was…” Dean said softly.

Dean lay still at last. “Oh no.” Nicky said.

Everyone was looking at Nicky. Finally she looked up at them. “He has passed away. Magic could save him once, not twice. I feel like I failed you. I am sorry. We may never know what happened.” She said her voice filled with emotion.

“You didn’t. You tried hard Nicole. I didn’t even notice. Imagine if he was still alive and we told his parents he was dead and we buried him alive. It’s okay.” Dumbledore said as he made Dean’s lifeless body float down the stairs.

Dumbledore left. Remus went to the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall with the flick of her wand cleaned up the mess. “Come on kids. Let’s go to the Great Hall.” She said softly her eyes were filled with tears.

The Great Hall was filled with all of the confused students. Dumbledore was about to tell them what happened. Somehow, immediately after they walked into the Great Hall, the Thomas’s walked in. “What happened?” Mrs. Thomas asked shakily.

No one said anything. “WHAT HAPPENED?” She yelled mentally.

Mrs. Thomas dissolved into tears. Mrs. Thomas went over to Harry and said, “If you never attended this school, if you were never born…” He said began angrily.

“Then you and Dean would be dead. Listen, I know you grieve, but don’t take it out on others. Let’s face it. If Harry was never born, Voldemort would kill everyone and everything.” Nicky cut in just as angrily.

“My child. My baby. He can’t be…” Mrs. Thomas said.

“I am sorry of your loss. I know it’s not easy. Believe me, I know. I knew Dean. We laughed together late at night in the dorm. We had some really good times. That’s what I try to remember. The good times. Not the bad ones. I encourage you to do the same.” Harry said.

The Thomas’s nodded. “We’re sorry. I guess we shouldn’t have barged in here. It’s so hard to believe though.” Mr. Thomas said.

“No apology needed. Your loss is our loss too. Anyone is welcome in these halls. As long as you are on our side. I am sorry for your loss once again and if you would be so kind as to follow me into my office.” Dumbledore said.

Dumbledore left and the Thomas’s were right behind him. Harry and his friends followed. Nicky stayed behind. She knew it wasn’t her place to be. Dumbledore told the story of what happened. He said he didn’t know what happened. Meanwhile Professor McGonagall told the school what happened. Everyone was in shock. How could a student just die? How could they get into the school? Was anyone safe?

Many questions arose that night. They slept in the great hall just like in their 3rd year. Some were crying into the night. Harry and his friends returned late into the night with Dumbledore. The Thomas’s were gone. Life is full of life and death. Nicky and Molly lived. Dean died. That’s the way things were going to be.

A/N- Sad. I know. I needed someone to die though that wasn’t a main character. I flipped though the pages until if found a name. It just happened that it was Dean. Sorry to everyone that liked him. Please tell me what you think.