Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Darkest Year Yet by School owl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 9
Promises


A bright light filtered through the windows of the Great Hall and awoke some of the children. The warmth was comforting. Harry sat up. Ron was by his side. Harry noticed that a small tear was in his eye. “Are you okay Ron?” Harry asked softly careful not to wake up others.

Ron shook his head. “Harry, things will be different from now on. I mean he’s not going to be here. Not late into the night will he laugh. Not ever.” Ron said.

Harry saw what Ron was saying for he often thought this. Harry didn’t cry this time. He remembered what Nicky had said. “I know Ron. We won’t see him again. We won’t see Cedric again. Nor will we see my mum or my Dad or Sirius again. There are too many deaths.” Harry said sadly.

“I know. I really wish that we could have gotten to know him better.” Ron said.

Harry was about to reply when Dumbledore stood up and spoke, “Good morning students. It will not be a good morning as many of you know. I wish that I could give you time to grieve, but the classes must go on. If anyone wishes to talk, they may see any of the staff.”

Harry whispered to Ron, “Any of the staff except Snape.”

Ron muffled a laugh. “Please have the best day you can. You may go to the dorms to perform your normal morning habits.” Dumbledore said dismissing them.

Ron and Harry saw Hermione and rushed over to her. “Hello Hermione. How are you?” Harry asked.

“Fine and you two?” She said.

Ron laughed suddenly at Hermione, “What?” Hermione asked.

“I never knew you had such P.J’s.” He said pointing to Hermione’s light pink long sleeve top and pants.

“What’s wrong with them?” Hermione asked heatedly.

“They’re PINK!!” Ron said laughing.

Hermione opened her mouth to argue when Harry pulled her aside, “Hermione, I think that Ron is dealing with grief. I have no clue why, he wasn’t his best friend, but he is sad though.” Harry said.

Ron was at his side. “I know why. No one that I knew really died. I didn’t know Cedric. I didn’t know your mum or dad. I knew Sirius, but not like you Harry. I knew Dean. He slept in the same room with us for over five years. I feel a little sad too, that I never knew him well.” Ron said.

“It’s okay.” Harry said.

Harry had no clue how to comfort him. “Ron maybe you’re right about my P.J’s. I don’t like pink. My mother picked them out. I think I can change them blue though with the proper spell.” Hermione said.

“No, I like them pink.” Ron said with a smile.

“You two are very odd. Strange too.” Harry said.

They walked to the dorms and got ready for the day. All the teachers were sad it seemed; Even Professor Binns (who was only Hermione’s teacher. All the others didn’t take the History. It was way too boring.) Seemed sad. The trio had D.A.D.A together and Nicky was with them.

The class was so quiet. Professor Lupin walked out of his office. “Hello everyone. Today I think it best if we talk instead of the lesson. Can anyone tell me what it’s like to lose someone close?” He said.

Lupin’s eyes locked on Harry’s. Harry looked away from these eyes and stared at the ground. Nicky raised her hand. “Nicky?” Lupin said.

“Professor, I lost my father when I was six. It was sad. Terrifying at the moment. It was so scary.” Nicky said.

“Were you there when your father died?” Lupin asked.

Malfoy sneered, “She probably killed her father. The filthy Mudblood.”

Before Lupin could do anything Nicky stood up and raised her wand and went to Malfoy. “You little pure blood. I am not MUDBLOOD!! Mudbloods are not filthy! I did not kill my father. If you want to know, I will tell you how my father died. It was ten years ago, but I still remember it.”



FLASH BACK


“I am leaving for town okay Nicole?” Her mother asked.

Nicky nodded. “I’ll be back soon. Tell your father I am getting groceries.” Her mother said.

“Okay mama.” Nicky said and her mother kissed her cheek.

“Bye.” They said.

Nicky waved until her mother disappeared from the path. The garden surrounding the house was so beautiful. Her mother was proud of her flowers. Humming birds were about. It was such a sunny day. Nicky was in a tan dress with roses on it. A hat that matched covered the top of her small head. Her blonde curls whipped in the soft breeze. She looked very pretty, just like her mother. She was chasing a butterfly when she heard a pop. She ran inside.

“Daddy, you’re home!” Nicky said.

He father swept her into her arms and twirled her around. Her dress swirled around. “Hello sweetie. Where’s your mother?” He said putting her on the floor of their wonderful home.

“Mama went to get groceries. She said she’d be back soon.” Nicky said.

“Nicole, why don’t we go away from here? Just for a little bit.” He said looking around as he pulled out his wand.

Nicky sensed a fear in her dad’s voice. “What about mama?” Nicky said.

“We’ll find her and take a vacation.” He said.

“Why are we going?” Nicky said sadly, “Why are we leaving our beautiful home?”

“Nicole, there are some bad people in the world. Not everyone is good. Some people want to hurt others. I’m not sure why, but they do. Someone wants to hurt us, so we need to go. Now.” Her dad said.

“Okay.” Nicky said looking at her father with fear on her face.

“If anything happens to me go to the den and look in my drawer. You will see a leather book. Read that book and pass it on to your children. Okay? Promise me you’ll do that. Don’t let anyone else read it. Don’t let it fall into the wrong hands.” Her father said hurriedly.

“I can’t read though Daddy.” Nicky said.

“Promise me.” He said harshly.

“Okay Daddy. I’ll read it.” Nicky said afraid.

The sun went away and was replaced by dark clouds. A soft rain came down. It turned violent. Lighting filled the sky. A bang at the door. “Nicole! Get under the table now!” Her father shouted.

Nicky ran under the kitchen table. The door fell down and in came a dark cloaked figure. Her father said many spells. The other man repelled them and hit her father with other spells. A green light filled Nicky’s brown eyes and her father fell to the floor. The wind knocked off her hat and she covered her mouth. Her father lay on the ground. Dead.

His wand lay a little to her left. The man saw the wand and then saw Nicky. He dove to get it. Little Nicky got it first. “Give me that wand.” He ordered over the wind.

“No!” She yelled back.

He raised his wand and made the same incantation that killed her father. She dodged the deadly green light. “Go away!” She said.

He made another move. Once again she moved out of the way. “Bring Daddy back!” Nicky yelled.

“He’s not coming back. He’s dead.” The man said laughing into the wind and rain.

Nicky was choked up with tears. “No! No!” She yelled.

The man laughed more. He used an unforgivable curse on her. She screamed so loudly. She felt a power awaking inside her. Without moving her wand, she blew the man back into the wall. The wall collapsed. The house tumbled to the ground.

Nicky was trapped inside. She somehow moved everything out of her way and made it to the desk. She pulled out the book and went out into the rain. Her mother was there. Her mother never understood what happened because she was a muggle. Her mother screamed into the night. Nicky never really understood what happened either. What power did a six year old have against one of the darkest wizards in the world?




Present


“My mother didn’t want anything to do with the magic world after that. She didn’t know I still have my father’s wand. I wasn’t allowed to talk to anyone that had anything to with magic. I received my letter a few years later. I picked my dad’s wand up and got a few things at Venture Ally. I went against mother’s permission. I still have the book that my father told me to get after all these years.” Nicky said sadly.

“Did you kill that man?” Someone asked.

“No.” She said bitterly, “If I did, then others wouldn’t have died.”

“What was in that book?” Someone asked.

“My father’s secrets, desires, spells and wisdom.” Nicky said.

“How did you do that without a wand?”

“I felt angry. I didn’t know what to do, but I wanted to hurt the man that took my father away.” Nicky said.

She looked at Malfoy, “So, no I did not kill my father. I am half and half. Half wizard and half muggle. Do not insult my parents or me again.”

Lupin looked at Nicky and said, “I am sorry to hear that. Please take your seat.”

Nicky took one last glance at Malfoy and put her wand away and sat down. Harry spoke, “Professor, why don’t you tell us what it’s like to lose someone?”

Lupin looked at Harry and said, “What do you mean Harry?”

“Professor, you’ve lost three good friends and another that’s as good as dead.” Hermione said.

“Well. I don’t know where to start. Lily and James were murdered. My friend was told to be the one who killed my other friend and then he was in Azkaban. Then it turns out that Peter was alive. Sirius died. That’s that. All my friends have died. As you have said Peter is as good as dead. I have had many who have died. It is a sad time.” Lupin said quickly.

“Why don’t you talk Harry?” Ron asked.

Harry laughed, “Ron! Almost everyone I know has died. I would have to tell the story of my life. We’d be here forever.”

“There is no forever.” Nicky said sadly.

The bell rang. “Class dismissed except for you four.” Lupin said.

Harry, Hermione, Ron and Nicky went up to Lupin’s desk. “We have all had some hard times. There will be more. Let’s support each other. Nicky are you alright?” Lupin asked.

“Yes.” That’s all she said before running out of the room.

“She’s not telling us something.” Ron said.

“Nicky has had a very tough life.” Lupin said.

Lupin ran upstairs leaving the trio with a million questions. “Darn! I’m going to be late for potions!” Harry said.

“Charms!” Hermione said.

“Transfiguration!” Ron said.

They went their separate ways. Harry ran into the dungeons late. Nicky was wiping her tears away into a handkerchief. “Potter. What excuse do you have today?” Snape asked.

Without waiting for an answer Snape said, “Detention.”

“It’s not his fault!” Nicky said, “He was held after class. Do not give him detention because you feel like it. Give him a chance!”

“You’ll be joining Potter.” Snape said smiling.

“You monster! Can’t you see that your class is at an emotional stand point?” Nicky asked angrily.

“You can’t let emotions take over your life!” Snape shouted.

“YES YOU CAN! You have no emotions. You are a cold hearted monster! You’re not even human! You’re the one who killed my father!” Nicky yelled.

She regretted those words. “No, I didn’t.” Snape said taken back.

“Yes you did! I found this letter in my father’s book! He wanted me to know! You are a murderer!” She yelled shoving the letter into his hand.

The class was afraid. If he killed someone, was he safe? Snape read the letter. “Nicole Ann Campbell? The daughter of Jack Scott Campbell?” He asked.

“Yes! Don’t you forget it!” Nicky said hysterically.

“You where there when he died. Did you see me? Is that why you have come to Hogwarts? To get revenge?” Snape asked a deadly tone.

“So you admit it?” Nicky asked.

“No.” Snape said coldly.

“I came to Hogwarts for a different reason.” Nicky said.

Nicky pulled out her wand. “This is my father’s wand. Now it belongs to me. It has been used only in defense. Never for evil. That is until now. I will kill you for making my life horrible!” She said.

Dumbledore appeared at the door. “Nicky please don’t do this. It wasn’t Professor Snape.” He said.

Nicky put her wand away and showed Dumbledore the letter. “I will not kill him. I am sorry for how I behaved, but I will never forgive him for what he did.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore rested a hand on her shoulder. “I am glad that you didn’t kill him. This is not Professor Snape. However, it is a Snape that killed your father. He is not related to Professor Snape or at least I don’t think so.” He said.

“Professor, I just came out of D.A.D.A and I was a little angry. Oh my god. I could have killed him. My apologies. Yes Professor, you can’t let emotions take over your life.” Nicky said.

“Come with me Nicole. We need to talk.” Dumbledore said.

Nicky’s hands shook as she gathered her things. I have blown it. I lost control. She thought.

It’s okay. No one was hurt. A voice said.

Nicky thought about what she could have done. At that thought she fainted. Darkness swallowed her.

“Nicole? Can you hear me?” Dumbledore asked.

She opened her eyes. She saw Snape, Harry and Dumbledore around her. No more talk about what happened. She was relived that this. She was so happy when Snape gave her a week’s detention that she hugged him and left.


Nicky collapsed on her bed and fell asleep. Soon Hermione was shaking her shoulder. “Nicky. Wake up!” Hermione hissed.

“What’s going on?” Nicky asked.

“Another death.” Hermione said.

Nicky bolted up and ran out into the common room. A body lay in the middle of the floor. It had red hair. Ron was by Nicky’s side. Suddenly she knew who the body belonged too. Harry saw too. “I’ll kill who ever did this!” Ron shouted.

He ran to the body. No one tried to stop him. Nicky was by his side. “Ron. May I try something?”

“No! She’s dead. Ginny’s dead!” He said sobbing.

“Ginny.” Nicky said, “Wake up dear.”

Ginny moved and sat up. “What’s everyone starring at?” She asked.

“Did you fall asleep?” Nicky asked.

“Yes.” Ginny said.

Nicky stood up and said, “There you have it. She’s alive and well. She was never touched by anyone.”

There were no adults in the room so Nicky said, “Go to bed everyone.”

They started to go back to the dorms when someone touched Nicky and she spun around in her long, pale blue nightgown. Her hair spun with it. She saw who it was, it was Neville. There was something wrong with him though. “Neville?” She asked.

“Crucio!” He yelled.

Everyone turned to see Neville say this. Nicky fell to the floor and screamed. Harry was surprised how much she sounded like his mother. Ron and Harry were holding Neville to the floor. Nicky got up. “Someone get Dumbledore!” She yelled shakily.

Someone left to get him. Nicky bent over Neville and said, “Neville, it’s me. Do you remember your friends? Come back to us. Fight it.”

Harry and Ron were surprised at what she was saying. Neville used an unforgivable curse on her. Neville realized what was happening. He felt safe and warm with her. He stopped fighting. Dumbledore ran in. “Nicole! Are you okay?” He asked.

She felt sick and she was pale, but she said, “That’s not important. Neville…”

“Tried to kill you. This is terrible. One of our own students trying to kill another.” Dumbledore said.

“He can’t help it! He’s under Voldemort’s control.” Nicky said.

Dumbledore looked astonished. “How did this happen?” He asked.

“I’m not sure. I just could tell.” Nicky said.

Ron and Harry were now struggling to keep Neville down as Neville began to move about again. Dumbledore spoke to Neville, “My dear boy. What has happened?”

Neville looked up at Dumbledore. The light shone in his eyes. He was back. “I went for a walk. I was minding my own business when I heard a voice. I just sort of blanked out after that. I only saw flashes of what I was doing.” Neville said honestly.

“Who did this?” Dumbledore asked.

“I’m really not sure. I think I hurt someone real bad though…” Neville said, his voice was cracking, “It was a girl. She screamed so loudly… I wanted to stop, but I couldn’t.”

“That was me.” Nicky said smiling.

“I am so sorry. I never meant for this to happen. What did I do to you?” Neville asked.

“An unforgivable curse. The very one you’re afraid of.” Nicky said.

Neville gasped. Nicky sat next to him. “Neville, it’s okay. A little pain never hurt anyone, but you need to resist.” She said.

Hermione said, “I really must go to bed now.”

They all said goodnight. Dumbledore soon left and after Neville apologized a million times Nicky sat by the fire alone. She stared into the flames. Harry sat with her. “Nicky, what was your life like after your father died?”

“My mother wouldn’t let me near anything that involved magic. Not even a magic set. We moved to a new house. Lived in a new neighborhood. No one knew us. They didn’t know that I had unleashed a very powerful magic. I went to a muggle school until I got my letter. I didn’t show my mom, I just left a note. I entered a new and fascinating world. I was in control. I began my lessons and people started talking. I was the witch that defeated a dozen death eaters; I save 19 people from the grasps of death. None were true though. I opened my father’s book many times. I suffered pain from people and dark lords. Always on my tail.” She said smiling.

“I can relate.” Harry said.

This made Nicky smile wider. “I guess you could.”

“Why did you freak out in Snape’s class?” Harry asked.

“I guess I was so angry for someone for taking my father away from me that I snapped. I wanted them to feel the pain that I felt. You know what I mean, don’t you?” Nicky said smiling more.

“Why do I bother to tell you? Why do you bother to ask? In my third year I wanted to kill Sirius for handing my parents to Voldemort. Now all I want to do is bring him back.” Harry said sadly.

He moved closer to her. He was so close that he could smell a faint lilac and lavender sent. “My father made me make a promise. I still keep to that promise. I want you to promise me that you will be happy and stay strong. That you will always see light in the dark.” Nicky said.

“I promise.” Harry said.



A/N- I hate the part where Nicky fights with Snape. Everyone forgets it though. I hope you like it so far. I gave up time with my family on Christmas to write this, so please review and make me want to write the next chapter. Thanks.