Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

More than Friends by HPismylife4real

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry rose and quickly followed Ron upstairs into their dormitory, and sat down on Ron’s bed next to him. Harry had no idea where to begin. How could a twenty minute walk with Hermione cause them to become so upset?

“Ron… wanna tell me what’s up? Or do I have to summon Voldemort to hex it out of you?” Harry jokingly questioned his best friend.
Ron looked up, and Harry could tell that this wasn’t good.
“Look, whatever it is, I’ll help you through it. I think we both know Hermione well enough to figure out what crazy thing she’s said to you this time,” Harry offered.
“It’s not that big of a deal,” Ron mumbled.
Not that big of a deal? Then that was a pretty rotten thing to say down there if it’s no big deal.”
“No… that’s not what I meant. That is what Hermione told me when I asked her how she felt for me to hold her hand. While we were walking outside just now, I thought that I was ready to tell her how I feel. So, at the moment, I thought I should hold her hand, so I did. And then after I asked her what she thought.” Ron explained.
Oh man. Ouch! Way to hut someone’s pride Hermione. Harry thought to himself.
“Hmm, that’s odd. Anything else?” Harry asked.
“Yeah, there’s something else. I really like her, you know? I just can’t figure out how to get her to feel the same way about me.”
“It doesn’t work that way mate, you can’t force someone to like you. Have you ever considered the possibility that Hermione actually does like you? Maybe, she’s just insecure or confused right now because of your sudden emotions. Or perhaps she is unsure of how to express her feelings for you, and maybe, just maybe, she thought you didn’t like her, and would make fun of her for asking you the very same question that you just asked her.” Harry said.
Ron pondered all of this for a moment before he opened his mouth to speak. “Guess I’m more clueless than I thought. I have a lot to think about right now Harry, do you mind?” Ron begged.
Harry got up and left the room without another word, just a reassuring wink as he closed the door behind him.



On the way down, Harry was suddenly pulled by the arm and dragged down the steps leading from the bedrooms. Hermione whispered to him, “Come with me!”
They made their way to Ginny, who was sitting in a chair with two empty chairs facing hers.
“Sit down please Harry.” Ginny commanded. Harry did as she asked, feeling odd that they wanted to talk to him.

“Before anyone starts talking,” Harry began, “I would just like to say, that I spoke with Ron, and I believe he sees what a git he’s been. Give him a bit to cool off, and then talk to him, Hermione.”
“Well, that may be, but I would still like to speak with you first Harry.” Hermione stated. “Okay. I like Ron. I really, really do. But you two have to understand something… what Ron and I feel towards each other is personal and special, so I would prefer if you would let us handle this on our own. If we decide to do anything about it that is.”

Ginny had a hurt look on her face, and though she heard what Hermione said, she didn’t quite like it. She and Hermione had shared loads of secrets before. After all, it was Ginny who was the first to know that Hermione was going to the Yule Ball last year with Viktor Krum.
Hermione could tell by the look in Ginny’s eyes that she was going to have a hard time with this, but that she would of course respect Hermione’s decision. In fact, Ginny said these same words out loud.
“Hermione, you know that I am going to have a difficult time adjusting to this, but I will respect your decision, as I’m your friend.”
“So will I,” Harry affirmed.
“Phew! Glad that’s over. Now… ” Hermione started.
“Upstairs in our bedroom, you know which bed.” Harry finished, knowing what Hermione was thinking. She didn’t need another word, she was off.



Hermione quietly knocked on the door to Ron and Harry’s bedroom. She strained to hear a voice from inside beckoning her to come in.

However, Ron was inside, trying to forget all about Hermione. He heard a soft knock, and could instantly tell it was her behind the door.
This can’t be good. What did I do now? Ron thought.
He jumped off his bed, and walked over to the door. He hesitated as his hand reached the doorknob. He then jumped a little as Hermione knocked again, irritated.

Ron opened the door, and looked straight into the eyes of his best friend and crush. They just stared into each other’s eyes for a moment, before Ron broke the silence. He cleared his throat a little, and said, “Yes Hermione? Did you need me for something?”
More than anything she thought.
Hermione paused for a second before mumbling, "What have I gotten myself into?” and then she laughed to herself. Ron just stood there with a dead serious look on his face.

Hermione took in a big, deep breath, and looked down at the carpet. “Anyway, I just came up here to talk about what happened earlier… outside. I wasn’t thinking, and it was terribly rude of me, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it when I said it didn’t matter to me if you were holding my hand or not. What I meant to say, and what I’ve been wanting to tell you for a long time, is that it means a lot to me. More than you know. The fact is, I like you a lot too Ron!” She now risked looking up at Ron, but she couldn’t tell what he was thinking.

“Hermione… you know… you’re a funny person. I’ve actually been under the impression that you like Harry, and your answer to my question earlier confirmed my theory, so I don’t know what to say. You really hurt me saying that. It was like… I meant nothing to you. And now… you come in here, and claim that you like me. I don’t know about you. I can’t turn my feelings off and on like the way you do.”
Hermione sighed. “Ron. I was scared alright? I’ve always meant to tell you, and when you grabbed my hand like that, I was feeling like you are… I felt there was no way you could have done because you like me. But now I know the truth, and you know the truth too.” Hermione pleaded, taking a step closer to him. “Please forgive me.”

Ron leaned back and put up his hands to stop her. “I don’t know. I’ll have to sleep on it.”
“Sure. Whatever you want Ron. Take as long as you like.” Hermione turned slowly and left, sadly closing the door behind her. As she leaned against the outside, a tear ran down her cheek. Never before in her life had she felt so clueless and alone.