Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dedicated Watcher by angel_charlie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2:- I fancy some butternut squash

Sunday 5th September, 9:30am, My dormitory :
After Thursday night’s events Katerina and I were no longer speaking to each other. Although, I had received a recount of the happenings after I had left, thanks to her diary.

Apparently, soon after I had run for it, Katerina was found huddled behind the invisibility curtain, clutching her hot chocolate (stupid girl). The truth was dragged out of her, probably without any need for Veritaserum (I say truth, but it was presumably all a pack of lies) and my name must have been dropped into the story hundreds of times. The Marauders (may they live forever) were apparently rather pleased, seeing as they now had someone to recruit as their insider to spy on Lily.

Sunday 5th September, 11:00am, Library.
Nothing good ever comes from what I do. I may go to Sirius and Remus later and explain that I am much closer to Lily and make a much better spy. I may bring them gifts so they cannot refuse.

Sunday 5th September, 1:00pm, Lunch:
I’m sitting here playing with my food, constantly reliving the past couple of hours.

Here is proof that I am a lot closer to Lily than “The Amateur Spy”: I was, a few hours ago, sitting in the library with Miss Evans. After falling out with Kat, I decided Lily needed some excellent company, and excellent company was available, me, so I adopted her. She would probably be very interesting if she could just stop doing boring things, like reading.

She was at that time reading “Magic Mushrooms: The User’s Guide.” So Lily Evans is a drug addict? I thought Good to know, good to know! (Maybe she isn’t so boring after all) I had to question her on my new findings!


“Lily … may I question you on my new findings?” I asked nervously.

“Yes, sure, is it about how to make a general poison remedy, because if so a Bezoar is usually…”

I cut her off by raising of my hand. Bezoar? What in the blazes is that?

“No, I was just wondering if you were a drug addict?” She looked horrified at my question, maybe she didn’t want people to know (I should’ve advised her not to carry a book around labelled Magic Mushrooms then, and they say she’s the smart one!)

“What? Wherever did you get that idea?” she asked, confused.

I motioned to her book, a sympathetic look on my face. She looked at it, puzzled, and then laughed. “No, I just got this out of the library for my Herbology essay; it’s about mushrooms that have their own brand of magic.”

Oh God, I really shouldn’t have said anything. She launched into a lecture about mushrooms that turn into seagulls when people aren’t looking, or something along those lines (I wasn’t actually listening to her, although I should’ve already known what she was telling me as I am in her Herbology class). But still… when will I need to know about fungi that grow ten times stronger when they eat spinach?

Surprise, surprise, Kat walked in and innocently plonked herself down next to Lily. How dare she? I knew her game.

“I know your game, Katerina Pane!” I growled, I would not have her corrupting my new best friend’s happiness, especially when I should be, as I am the rightful spy. “Katerina, I will not have you corrupting Lily’s happiness!”

Kat threw me a pathetic death glare (one that was no match for my own) and Lily looked at me, her green eyes full of confusion.

“Corrupt my happiness? What are you on about Rosy?” she asked, torn between puzzlement and amusement.

Kat looked at me, as if to say, ‘You wouldn’t!’

I looked back at her as if to say, ‘Oh ho ho, I would!’

“Well, Lily, I hate to break it to you, but Kat has been employed to watch every little thing that you…”

I attempted to finish my sentence but someone clamped a hand around my mouth, rudely stopping me from finishing my sentence. They were actually quite hurting me, but I forgot all that as I looked up and gazed into the beautiful face of Sirius Black himself. I was suddenly urged to lick his hand. I thought I would faint. He began to drag me out of the library.

After being dragged out of the library, which any normal person would have been embarrassed by, but, like I said, I am not normal. Sirius then let go of me and gave me a stern look.

“Follow me!” he demanded

He then ran up to the seventh floor where the Room of Requirement lies, Peter and me tottering behind. He walked in front of the stretch of wall three times, which caused me to become rather dizzy. The door was revealed and we entered.

Inside the room was virtually empty, it had a stone floor and a bare, wooden chair in the middle (it rather reminded me of the court room trials that have been appearing in the Daily Prophet lately). He gestured to the chair. I didn’t move, too confused by the situation I was in. He therefore guided me towards the chair with a strong hand on my shoulder. Sirius then conjured two chairs out of nowhere and sat down, and then Peter followed suit (I was very impressed by this, as we had only just learnt how to conjure needles, which I couldn’t do). I almost burst into a fit of giggles as I remembered a joke about needles that I read in a Muggle book.

“Do you have anything to say for yourself?” Sirius asked in his deep, sexy voice. I was quite stunned by his presence and couldn’t think of anything to say.

“Unhand me you whining, toad-spotted so-and-so, I need a hug, you and your sexy voice will get nothing out of me!” Oh my giddy Aunt, I had just announced the fact that I am a complete imbecile… again. Queen of the uncontrollable gobs had struck once more! Why? That was the second time I had made a complete fool of myself in front of the love of my life, in less than four days! I must start searching for a cheap cave to live in! I am still blushing at the memory.

“Okay, moving on.” Sirius looked at me as if I was a lunatic, which I am, so I cannot blame him. “Do you recognise this?” He held up a tube of mascara - the one I had been looking for! I must’ve dropped it when I ran out from behind the curtain. I nodded guiltily. He stared at me for a couple of seconds and then grinned. I swooned at the sight of his famous smile; it was the first time it was directed at me. He stood up from his chair and walked towards me, tapping his chin in contemplation.

“Rozabela Bland, you have just made mine and Peter’s job a lot easier!” He took my hand and kissed it. I thought it was very cheesy, but I could get used to it. “I assume it was you that screamed behind the curtain on Thursday night?”

I nodded remembering the incident that I would rather forget. He continued, “Since you already know our plan about getting Lily and James together, I don’t feel the need to explain it any further. Peter and I are recruiting you as our official spy; you can tell your friend that she is not needed anymore. She told us she doesn’t even like Evans.”

I smiled, whilst trying not to make my chin look huge. He offered me his hand. I took it and he pulled me up. “We thank you from the bottom of our hearts, my fair lady.” He feigned a very superior, posh English accent.

I began to leave the room. Trying my best to look sexy, I unlocked the door and stepped out, forgetting the step that lay the other side of the door. I tripped and fell flat on my face. I swore loudly, got up and ran down the corridor, praying they hadn’t seen or heard me.

Sunday 5th September, 11:30, in bed:
Am I doing the right thing? I mean, Lily Evans is supposed to be my friend, spying on her doesn’t seem very morally right. But then again, James, once she realises just how wonderfully amazing he is, will be perfect for her. But does she deserve James? This is another question I must add to the list, the list of thoughts and ideas that make my brain ache. I must sleep; I need to be fresh as a daisy tomorrow because I have double Transfiguration! Yay!

Wednesday 15th September, 8:30am, Breakfast:
I am still not talking to Katerina, although whenever she sees me she gives me big puppy dog looks, trying to make me come back to her. Well, woof woof, Kat - get some new friends! The last time I bothered speaking to her was when I had to let her down, rather harshly to be honest, about the whole spying on Lily fiasco.

In the last week or so, which I haven’t reported in, Sirius and I have been talking a lot about stuff I should be finding out. The music she likes and her favourite foods… that sort of thing. I never knew Sirius would care so much about his friend’s love life, he was making a huge effort just to get them together.

“So, Rosy, have you found out anything about Lily yet?” Sirius asked, looking up from the animagus transformation fact-sheet we were supposed to be filling in. I found it strange that he was actually taking an interest in the work.

I almost said something stupid, again, but managed to contain myself.
“Well, I know for a fact that she isn’t a drug addict, she just does Herbology essays!”

Well, something almost not stupid. He gave me that look people give me when I do something one usually wouldn’t do, but he shook it off when I smiled sheepishly.

“Ok then, she doesn’t take drugs. Nor does James, so that’s okay! Anything else?” he asked.

“Well, no. I haven’t really had a chance to talk to her; she’s been busy with prefect’s duties and other boring stuff. But I have a free period after this lesson, so I might be able to catch up with her!”

“You do that. We shall have another little chat soon then!”

I nodded, taking in as much as I could of what he was saying, which is hard when you have a small brain capacity like I have.

“Miss Bland, Mr Black, if you continue to talk I will turn your tongues into lead, then we shall see if the words flow so easily!” McGonagall spoke clearly across the Transfiguration classroom from over Snape’s desk

The bell rang and I noticed Lily scurrying out, rather faster than I would have imagined considering her height. I jogged to keep up. I had almost caught up with her when she yelled over her shoulder. “Potter, leave me alone. I will not go out with you; I never shall either, so leave me alone!”

“Lily, as much as I love James Potter,” may he live forever, I thought in my mind, “I am quite relieved to say I am not him,” I yelled back, stopping in my tracks as she carried on running. I began to run again because she was getting away rather quickly. She stopped, suddenly, causing me to run right into her. The crash knocked us both over into a heap on the floor, and caused my skirt to fly up, revealing the new woollen knickers my grandmother had just sent me. To passers by this would have either looked like an accident, or something a whole lot more embarrassing (something that involves me and Lily… you know…)

“Ouch, I’m sorry, Rosy. I swear it was Potter following me; he had that glint in his eye, you know!” she mumbled. Her voice was muffled and strained due to the considerable weight on top of her.

“I am afraid I would not know, seeing as James has never pursued me.” I continued lying where I was, Lily’s shoulder made a nice headrest, and so I was rather comfortable. I was unaware my beautiful, green, woollen knickers were on show. But I wasn’t in the dark about that for much longer.

“Gorgeous knickers, Bland.” A voice chuckled from somewhere above us. “Evans, I never knew you swung the other way!”

We both adjusted ourselves accordingly (i.e. jumped up quickly and pulled down skirts) as we saw who it was. James Potter. I almost swooned at the sight of him and even Lily was noticeably redder. “Moving on…” he continued, looking us both up and down, before Lily cut him off.

“Save it, Potter, I know what you want. The answer is, yet again, no!”

“Actually no, that is not what I am here for!” He grinned smugly. For someone who was in love with her, he sure did like to see her make mistakes. Such a strange boy, but wonderful. “I am actually here to tell Rozabela that Sirius is looking for her and wants to tell her… what was it…?”

“Oh, just say it, Potter, we haven’t got all day!” Lily spat out. James looked rather put out, and I had the urge to suddenly hug him.

“Sorry, he said good luck with operation free period, make it happen baby!” he recited. “He also said that you would understand, but I think that was because I didn’t understand, and I am now just confusing myself even further. Anyhow… as I am here Evans…”

“No!”

“Women!” he muttered as he slouched off, mumbling under his breath something that was barely audible but which sounded distinctly like: “I fancy some butternut squash!”

Lily and I then went off to the library because she also had a free period. We sat down at our regular table; I seemed to be coming to the library a lot lately. From her bag, Lily pulled out a ten-ton book, as our usual routine went, and began to read. I just sat there, twiddling my thumbs. But I quickly remembered that I had a mission. I pulled the book out of her hands and stared intently at her. She looked rather nervously back at me.

“What was that for?” She asked.

“Lily, we have been friends for what? Two weeks?” She nodded in response to my question. “Exactly, I was thinking this and I realised, we know nothing about each other, so I suggest we take this time to have a little chat! Do you mind if I ask a few questions?” I asked, in a voice that was quite unlike my own, but, none-the-less, she nodded, albeit tentatively. Wow, I was good at this!

“Fantastic! So, first thing’s first, what kind of music are you into?” I asked, whilst pulling out a notebook.

She eyed the notebook apprehensively before answering. “Well, a bit of everything really. You know a bit of Elvis, a bit of the Rolling Stones. I have a huge poster of them on my bedroom wall. Oh and that new band - Abba, and Hot Chocolate. Well, all the modern bands really.” She spoke with increasing speed and excitement. She could talk for England. I was quite interested to know that she likes some of the same music as me. I’m going through one of those music phases when that’s all you’re thinking about, well, when I am at home anyway. It’s a good job my mum is a Muggle because I can listen to all that stuff at home; we have all the latest LP’s and we might be getting one of those ultra modern cassette players as well. Anyway, I nodded as I scribbled down all the different bands she was naming.

“And, of course, Led Zeppelin and Lulu! By the way, do you do this with all your friends?” she asked, once she had finally finished reciting the different bands that she was naming. I looked up, confused at her question, and realised she was still eyeing my notebook.

“Oh,” I exclaimed, fishing around for an excuse. “No, I’m just writing down some possible Christmas present ideas.” She seemed to accept my answer and waited for the next question.

“I like your taste in music!” I said, once I had finished writing the endless list of bands. “So what’s your favourite food, meal, drink, chocolate bar?”

She took a deep breath before answering. “Well, I love that new range of marzipan and white chocolate Honeydukes has just brought out. Oh, and I have a sweet tooth for Muggle sweets, such as chocolate buttons, galaxy chocolate, marshmallows. I love marshmallows, wine gums, and chocolate cake - don’t even get me started on cake!”

I wish I hadn’t got her started on cake… she went on for about five minutes talking about chocolate cake, who ever knew Lily was such a chatterbox, and cake fiend?

Unfortunately, I had to stay and listen to her gabble on about all the different colour socks she likes to wear; Her favourite smells (frying onions get her senses tingling); lesson (charms, but she has a secret soft spot for potions); books (Wuthering Heights had her crying for hours); teachers (she’s Dumbledore’s woman through and through) and biggest celebrity crush (Donny Osmond and David Bowie, amongst others.)

But hey, all in a day’s work, don’t you think?