Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Ten “ Plots and Plans

James looked ‘round trying to see what had made Sirius light up like a Christmas tree. “What’s up mate?”

Sirius, who had just caught a glimpse of Maeve was distracted from a rather intense planning session with Ted and James on how they were going to manage to get his wand from his mother before he could make his escape, reluctantly turned his eyes from the doorway Maeve had just entered to his best friend. “Huh?”

“You went straight from miserable to ecstatic in the blink of an eye. Any particular reason?” James teased.

“Oh, uh, I just, ‘erm, I just saw someone.” Sirius, normally eloquent, stumbled over his words not wanting James to know he fancied a girl whose name he didn’t even know.

“Who?

Sirius quickly thought up a lie. “Um, well actually I thought it was Moony, but it wasn’t.”

“You are losing your mind, mate,” James said, patting his friend on the shoulder. “Now, I don’t see why you can’t just nick you wand from your mother when she’s not looking.”

“I’ve told you, she’s more cunning than that. Slytherin to the core. She’s done something to it, I can’t find it and I’ve bloody well looked.” Sirius replied, sliding back into his morose mood.

Ted shrugged. “Why don’t I give you a loan? The two of you can Floo out of here and go to Ollivanders for a new wand.”

Sirius’s eyes lit at the suggestion. “Brilliant! We can Floo from here and be back in no time!”

“Why would you want to come back? You could go anywhere from Diagon Alley. Kip at my place, my parents wouldn’t mind,” James suggested.

“I need my robes, you git. All my books, potion ingredients, and clothes are here. I’d need to come back so I can get them before I make my escape permanent.” Sirius explained, hoping they would believe his excuses. He knew he had to see Maeve again, find out if she went to Hogwarts or Beauxbatons, and let her know he wanted to see her again.

“You do have a point. You couldn’t very well drag your trunk out the door quietly without a bit of magic,” James said thoughtfully.

“Besides, if you think I’m going to miss seeing my brother suffering through a betrothal ceremony to the girl I was supposed to be saddled with, you are thicker than I thought,” Sirius added, grinning mischievously.

James sniggered. “There’s that too! Did I tell you we’ve been invited? Mother told me last night at dinner. She said since we are already here, we might as well stay the week and go home afterward.”

A bark of laughter escaped Sirius. “Got your Formal Dress robes?”

“Huh?”

“This is ‘an occasion’ that means Formal Dress robes old man,” Sirius answered delightedly.

James groaned. “You are having me on, right?”

“Not a bit of it. If you don’t have them, we will have to get some in Diagon Alley.”

“Bloody hell,” James muttered, running his hand through his messy hair, making it stand up even more than usual.

Sirius jumped a bit when the door to the Lodge swung open, hoping it was Maeve coming out, but the petite form that stepped out was Mrs. Potter, a wide smile on her face she came to the table crying out, “Sirius you rascal, what’s this trouble you’ve gotten yourself into this time? James only told me you had your wand confiscated, but not why.”

All three stood quickly as she approached, Sirius moved to pull a chair out for her to join them. Mrs. Potter was always a good egg in his opinion. He was sure James got a bit of her resourcefulness from her. “Oh, the usual. My mother just doesn’t appreciate a good joke the way you do ma’am.”

“That’s a pity,” Mrs. Potter observed. She turned her eye toward James. “You should count yourself lucky I don’t see things the same way as poor Sirius’s mother.” As she took her seat she waved them to their seats.

“Perish the thought mother. I am the luckiest bloke at school!” James declared vehemently.

“Let’s take a moment to be serious, shall we?” she asked, after eyeing James for a moment. “Sirius, my husband and I have discussed, at length,what I am about to tell you. You and your parents have never seems to see eye to eye. We would like to offer you a place to stay when you’re not at school.”

Sirius’s mouth dropped open for a moment before he could gather his wits. “I don’t know what to say.” He admitted.

“Say yes, you silly goose,” she declared.

“Alright, yes then,” he exclaimed with a grin.

“Very well. You may accompany us home after your brother’s betrothal ceremony.” With that declaration she rose from her seat causing the three of them to jump to theirs. “Boys will be boys. But you take note, the two of you; you will behave or have me to answer to!”

James and Sirius both ducked their heads at this. As understanding as she could be, Mrs. Potter could also frighten the devil himself.

She opened her bag and pulled out a pouch that jingled, tossing it to her son she said, “Now, you need to go to Diagon Ally and get yourself some Formal Dress Robes for the ceremony, and I don’t want to hear any groaning about it. You get yourself something presentable.” With that she walked away.

Ted, James and Sirius sank back into their seats. “Blimey,” breathed Ted, “That’s some woman!”

“Tell me about it!” James replied. “Keeps Dad on his toes, I’ll tell you that!”

“I’ll take you up on that loan, Ted,” Sirius said with a grin. “Couldn’t hurt to have a spare wand, even if Mother does give mine back.”

Ted chuckled and reached into his pocked, pulled out a pouch and tossed it to Sirius. “There you go, it’s more than you need for a wand, but I trust you’ll pay me back when you can.”

“You can bet your life on it,” Sirius said solemnly, pocketing the pouch. He turned to James and couldn’t contain his grin. “To Diagon Alley mate?”

“Bloody right you are,” James replied with a matching grin.

The boys hopped to their feet and bid goodbye to Ted, and rushed inside to the wizards’ parlor. James pulled a knut from his pouch and tossed it in the bowl opening the box of Floo Powder. “This should be a lark,” he said tossing a handful into the flames crying out, “Diagon Alley.”

Sirius followed and moments later the two of them were brushing themselves clean in the Leaky Cauldron.

Tom the bartender grinned at the two of them calling out heartily, “What are you two young scamps up to today?”

The grin faded from James’s face for a moment. “Mother sent me to get some dress robes.”

“Well, stop by for a bit of lunch when you’re done,” Tom answered. “That should cheer you up.”

“Just might do that,” Sirius replied. “So long as the special today isn’t the Pea Soup!”

The boys laughed and headed for the back door hearing Tom shout after them, “There’s nothing wrong with my Pea Soup!”

OoOoO

As always I have to thank Kerichi for being a wonderful beta and a better friend! (And for whacking me over the head for submitting th un-beta'd version of a chapter)

I also want to thank everyone who has taken the time to review! It is such a thrill to log on and find out that someone has read a chapter and enjoyed it (or not) enough to actually take a moment and tell you! So please, take a moment and tell me!