Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Although the majority of the story is told from Sirius and Maeve’s point of view, this chapter takes a short detour from their road of romance. I hope readers enjoy a walk in the woods with Morag and Regulus!

Chapter 12 “ A Walk In The Woods

Morag wandered through the wood that skirted the grounds of Black Moor Manor. Comfortingly familiar sounds floated through the air, the silly baaing of sheep, sharp yips from sheepdogs keeping the flock from wandering too far from the fold, and the distant sound of singing from the shepherds. She smiled at the frugalness of the Blacks, “allowing” the shepherds to bring their flocks her to graze, knowing a bit of magic would shear the lawns and fertilize the ground more efficiently. But they wouldn’t hear of paying a herbologist for a few spells when the sheep could do it for free.

She wondered if she and Regulus would get along or if he would simply banish her here once the marriage was final. Villagers loved to tell stories of the Black men who had done that over the centuries. She shook her head at her ruminations; the marriage wouldn’t happen for years. Perhaps she would be able to fall in love with him, and he with her.

A faint smile hovered at the corners of her mouth as she remembered the impromptu lunch a few days ago. She’d heard such rumors of Sirius Black and James Potter. Thoughtless pranks they had played, all sorts of hexed students claiming the Gryffindors were the culprits, and of hearts they had broken. Surprisingly, the boys had been quite delightful during lunch. Sirius Black had been most entertaining, claiming if he had known of the betrothal, he would have toed the line during school so he would be the one bonded with her in just two more days.

James Potter had been almost as witty and amusing. He’d flirted unabashedly with both her sister and herself, but had also laughingly told them he would never be able to be serious about either of them when Lily Evans had already taken his heart.

“Too bad Evans doesn’t return your ardor, mate,” Sirius had teased.

Dramatically, James had clasped his hands over his heart. “How can you say that? You know it’s only a matter of time until she succumbs to my charms!”

“Oh, I forgot,” Sirius replied with a wicked grin. “Will she succumb to your charms or will you be more diligent in potions and brew a draught that will bring her to your empty arms?”

James mocked a blow to his friend’s head. “Just because you are better at potions than I am doesn’t mean I would stoop so low. Ours will be a true love, a love that will go down in history!” he proclaimed.

The girls giggled at the boys antics. How many boys would profess a lifelong love when they were just fifteen years old?

“Evans, you said.” Maeve asked, “Isn’t she the one you mistook me for?”

“Yes, the corridor you were walking down was a bit dark, making your hair look more like hers. She has the most incredible dark red locks, and vivid green eyes a man could drown in.”

“Oh, she’d like to drown you in something mate!” Sirius taunted. He turned his attention to Maeve and stage whispered, “She can’t stand the sight of him. He doesn’t stand a chance with her.”

The girls again dissolved in giggles. “Sister, I believe we better get back to Machrie Moor, so we can show mother our purchases before father receives the afternoon owl with the bill!” Morag told her sister quietly.


They had bid goodbye to the boys and scurried along, hoping mother would soothe fathers temper before they had to face him about their extravagance.

Morag continued wandering along, staying far enough in the wood to keep from the sight of the Manor. Part of her wanted to go out into the open and see if she could spot Regulus Black, the other part of her wanted nothing more than to run away and hide until after the ceremony was scheduled. She sighed, knowing she wouldn’t shame her family in that way. Betrothals were barbaric, but she would do her duty to her family.

“What are you doing here?” a masculine drawl startled her out of her thoughts. She whirled around and gaped at the man on the path behind her. He was tall with icy cold blue eyes and long, flowing white hair.

“J-just taking a walk, sir,” she replied as evenly as she could.

He took a slow step toward her and gazed down his aristocratic nose. “And who are you?”

“M-Morag Stewart, if you please.”

“Ahh, the bride-to-be,” the man taunted lightly. “Trying to get a glimpse of your future husband?”

A slight blush flushed Morags cheeks. “N-not really. I just w-wanted to take a walk.”

“No matter. I am Lucius Malfoy, betrothed to your future husband’s cousin. We will soon be related, my dear.”

“How do you do?” Morag replied, not knowing what else to say.

A faintly sinister smile crossed his aquiline features. “How do I do what?”

“Lucius. Lucius are you out here?” Another man came along the path. “There you are! Didn’t you hear me calling?”

Lucius drew back from Morag and turned to the newcomer. “Of course, I was just chatting with your future intended.” He gestured to Morag and continued, “Regulus Black, Miss Morag Stewart. I’ll just leave the two of you to get acquainted.”

“Oh, uh, hello.” Regulus murmured, seeing Morag up close for the first time.

Morag inwardly cursed the flush reddening her cheeks and tried to smile. “Pleasure to meet you.”

“Well, this is a bit awkward, isn’t it?”

“Yes, yes it is a bit,” Morag answered, trying vainly to relax. “I was just taking a walk when I met Mr. Malfoy. It seems as if you were meeting him for something. I wouldn’t want to interrupt anything. If you’d like to go, I wouldn’t mind.”

“Not at all. I can speak with him later. Why don’t we continue your walk and get to know each other a bit. It might make the ceremony easier to deal with if we know each other a little,” Regulus replied gently. This girl acted like a frightened bird, and for some reason he wanted to still those fears.

“Oh, erm, okay.”

Regulus flourished his hand toward the path. “Shall we?”

Morag relaxed slightly, and was happily relieved to feel the heat leave her cheeks. “Yes, of course.” They fell into step along the path. “I must say I am a bit relieved to get to meet you before being betrothed to you.”

Regulus chuckled lightly. “At least it’s only a betrothal ceremony and not a wedding. Imagine having to meet on your wedding day as they did long ago! Talk about awkward.”

Morag giggled nervously. “How awful!”

“Quite. I can just picture those conversations. ‘Pleased to meet you, which side of the bed would you prefer?’” he said drolly.

A sputter of true laughter escaped Morag. “Oh! Goddess! I don’t even want to think about something like that happening.”

Regulus leaned toward her and nudged her with his elbow. “None of that for us, hmmm?”

Without thinking Morag swatted his elbow. “Of course not!”

“Pity,” he replied, merriment twinkling in his eyes. He was relieved to see that although he had thought her the plainer sister, she was quite lovely. When standing in the dappled shade of the trees, a slight trace of blush remaining on her cheeks, and a smile lighting her eyes, she took his breath away. Uncomfortable with such feelings, he looked away, saying, “Although I do have high hopes that we will get along.”

Morag nodded. “I hope so too.”

“Morag, that’s an unusual name, isn’t it?”

“Yes. It’s Celtic, meaning ‘embracing the sun’. It used to be quite common, but not anymore. My family has handed it down for generations on my father’s side. What about yours? Other than the fact that it’s a constellation.”

“Ah, yes. Regulus, twenty-fifth brightest star in the night sky, it also means ‘Prince’.”

Morag giggled lightly.

He smiled. “Think the meaning of my name’s funny do you?”

“No,” she said laughingly. “Not that at all.”

“What then?” he demanded, pretending to sulk.

“It just means that I’ll get to marry ‘My Prince’.”

Regulus guffawed. “Never thought of that! Well now, you’ve got something to look forward to, don’t you?”

“Absolutely. I’ve always wanted to marry a prince.”

“Then you’ll be my princess. That’s what I’ll call you; from now on you’ll be ‘Princess’!” Regulus dubbed her, pretending to touch a sword to each of her shoulders.

“Oh. I don’t quite know what to say,” Morag said feeling a bit flustered.

“Not to worry, my dear. I tend to bestow nicknames to people I like, and I find that I do like you, very much.”

“I’m so relieved we met today!” Morag burst out. “I was so worried you’d be horrid!”

Regulus gaped at her for a moment. “Why would you think that, I don’t believe we’ve ever met.”

“No. No we haven’t. But, you see, I’ve heard all kinds of stories about Slytherin’s and none of them have been good,” she admitted.

“Ah. Now I see. Stereotype. Cold, cruel, cunning, underhanded, and evil. That’s all Slytherin’s are, right?”

“No. I can see that Slytherin’s are just people, just like all the rest of us. Do you think, just because I’m in Hufflepuff that I’m some sort of pushover?”

Regulus stopped walking and looked into her eyes. “No, I don’t believe you’re a pushover. I do think you are lovely.”

“Well, I don’t believe you are cold, cruel or underhanded,” she answered honestly, and went on to tease, “But you might be a bit cunning, with a line like that.”

“You wound me to the core, madam!” Regulus cried, arms aloft he proclaimed his innocence. “I am simply stating the truth.”

“I should make my way home. It will be time for dinner soon,” she replied, shying away from the compliment.

Regulus nodded. “True enough. I’ll see you in two days.”

“At least we don’t have to dread the day,” Morag replied with relief.

“No, Princess. I don’t dread the day at all,” Regulus declared. He took her hand and dropped a light kiss on the back of it. He held onto her hand and gazed down at her for a long moment. “I believe I can actually start to look forward to it. Not that I’ll admit it to my relatives!”

Morag sputtered with laughter. “No, that would be out of character for either of us wouldn’t it?”

“You see, we are in agreement already. You give me high hopes madam.” He lifted her hand again, turned it over and pressed a kiss to her palm. “Good night Princess.” He dropped her hand and walked toward the Manor.”

“Goodnight My Prince.” She whispered, turning toward home.

OoOoO

I am dedicating this chapter to my beta Kerichi. She's such a romantic at heart, I couldn't bear to stick Morag with a complete cad.

I hope you liked this chapter. Please review and tell me what you think!