Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 14 - Dinner and Dancing

Once they had portkeyed to Black Moor Manor, Maeve and Morag hugged tightly. “Oh, Morag, it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen!”

Morag squeezed her sister even tighter for a moment before releasing her. “What do you mean?”

“The golden lights swirling around you like an orb. Then they sort of condensed and went through both of you to center on your hands before shooting into the sky and lighting up the whole area!” Maeve explained, the memory of the spectacular sight shining in her eyes.

“I didn’t see anything like that,” was Morag’s astonished reply.

The girls were interrupted by a house elf wrapped in a filthy tea towel. “If the misses will please to follow Kreacher, my Mistress has prepared a room for you to change.” The little house elf was especially ugly, but he obviously worshipped Mrs. Black.

They fell into step behind the little elf arm in arm, whispering together about the ceremony. Morag hadn’t seen anything but Regulus during the ceremony and wondered if that was the way it was supposed to be or if, because they were in the center of Fingal’s Cauldron Seat, they were somehow bewitched.

“All I know is everyone else saw what I told you,” Maeve told her sister just as they reached the room Kreacher indicated would be theirs.

The room was actually an entire suite including a sitting room, a bedroom and a private bathroom. “Oh, how lovely!” Morag exclaimed, running her fingers over a silk-brocade sofa, deep forest green with silver threads running throughout the design.

“Very Slytherin,” Maeve answered, nodding in agreement. “We should change before we’re late.”

Their robes had been hung in the bedchamber and were wrinkle free. “I could get used to being pampered like this.” Maeve giggled.

“Oh, anytime dahling!” Morag answered, imitating a snooty tone.

“I just love the robes you’ve chosen for dinner!” Maeve said, running her fingers over her sisters robes, admiring the pale silver material sprigged with deep green flowers.

“Yours are just as lovely.” Morag smiled, nodding to her sisters pale green robes trimmed with darker green ribbons.

They changed quickly and were wondering if they should try to find their way when Kreacher appeared. “Ah, the young missuses is ready. Kreacher’s Mistress will be most pleased! If you will please to follow Kreacher.” He bowed deeply and trotted from the room.

The girls giggled again and followed the horrid looking little elf.

Regulus stood waiting at the bottom of the staircase. His eyes lit upon his betrothed and a smile brightened his features. He offered his arm to Morag and leaned close to her ear to whisper, “You look enchanting, Princess.” He straightened and asked in a louder tone, “May I escort you to dinner?”

Morag’s eyes shined with happiness at his compliment and gallantry. “You may.” She tucked her hand into the crook of his elbow and left her sister standing on the stair a bit flabbergasted.

Sirius, who had been standing with the other guests, jumped at the opportunity and stepped forward to offer his arm to Maeve. “Allow me?”

Maeve smiled in relief. “Yes, please.”

The crowd took their cue from the boys and began pairing up to enter the huge formal dining chamber.

“How will everyone know where to sit?” Maeve whispered to Sirius as he led her to the table.

“Mother’s enchanted the room. It’s a tricky bit of magic, but she’s an expert at controlling these sort of affairs,” Sirius replied in a bit of an aggrieved tone. “As a matter of fact, I was ordered to escort you to dinner. Had to put up a bit of resistance you know. Couldn’t let her know she was trying to force me to do exactly what I wanted to do.”

Maeve glanced up at him sharply and saw the amusement in his eyes. As they passed Mr. and Mrs. Black she tugged lightly on his elbow and simpered, “I’m so pleased you offered to escort me to dinner. Otherwise I might have been left standing on the stair all night.”

Sirius smirked at her joke, “Not at all. Anyone as lovely as yourself would probably have to beat the young blokes off with a stick.”

Maeve suppressed a giggle at the outraged expression on Mrs. Black’s face, and the warning in her eyes for Sirius to behave.

The table settings were elegant, the crystal exquisite and the overall chamber was quite lavish. “Mother has put on quite a show here,” Sirius told Maeve quietly. “Nothing is too good for her baby boy.”

“It’s a bit overwhelming,” Maeve admitted.

Once the guests were seated the plates and goblets magically filled with the first course. It seemed as soon as they began everything was choreographed to the most infinite degree. The goblets stayed full. The moment a plate was emptied, the next course appeared, and nearly everyone finished at the same time.

Lucius Malfoy stood and tapped his wine goblet for attention. The crowd fell silent and he announced, “I’d like to propose a toast to the young couple so recently betrothed. May this union be one of great success, and bring honor to both your houses.”

Morag stiffened at his words. They were politely spoken but she felt a thread of fear from this man. He seemed such a cold sort. Everyone lifted their glasses and said, “To honor,” before drinking.

Mr. Black stood and announced, “Dancing will be held in the ballroom, there will be games in the drawing rooms, and the gardens have been lit for anyone fancying a walk after dinner. Please enjoy yourselves.” With that he offered his hand to his wife and escorted her from the room.

“Will you be dancing or gaming this evening Miss Stewart?” Sirius drawled as he stood, offering his arm to escort her from the room.

“My sister and I did bring dancing robes,” she answered shyly.

“Allow me to escort you to your room so you may change into them, I claim the first waltz.” Sirius said brashly.

They walked around the table to where Regulus and Morag still sat, talking quietly together. “Sister, I’m going to change for the dancing, won’t you come along?”

Morag reluctantly pulled her eyes from Regulus and nodded. As she began to stand Regulus put his hand on her arm, looking up at Sirius and Maeve, “I’ll escort her up in a moment.”

Sirius looked suspiciously at his brother for a moment before nodding. After all, what could he possibly do in the midst of the crowd at the Manor tonight?

Maeve had nearly finished changing when Morag danced into the room. “Isn’t he handsome? Isn’t he nice? What do you think?”

Maeve couldn’t resist teasing her sister for a moment. “Well, we did meet him in Diagon Alley the other day, so yes; I do think he’s quite nice.”

Morag picked up a pillow from a divan and threatened her sister with it. “I meant Regulus! What do you think of him?”

“He is a nice looking bloke.” Maeve admitted, holding up her hands to fend off the pillow. “But really, I haven’t said a word to him. How could I know if he’s nice or not?”

“You’ll have to trust me.” Morag replied, dropping the pillow and making her way to the bedchamber to change into her dress robes. “I do like those robes on you, sister. That sky blue gauze overdress brings out your eyes and compliments the deeper blue sheath.”

“Thank you! I do like your robes too. When you first picked it out I didn’t think the emerald green overdress would look good over the white sheath, but it really is most flattering.”

“Those sales ladies did very well, finding us dresses that match but are different. I do have to hand it to them.”

Maeve giggled at the memory of their shopping trip. “It was fun, wasn’t it?”

“That it was! And Mother told me Father only winced when he got the bill.”
“We have some white roses in the bouquet in the sitting room, why don’t I grab a few to put in your hair. A quick charm will keep them from wilting, and they will set off the whole thing.” Maeve offered.

“That would be wonderful.” Morag agreed, adding a few more pins to her upswept hair.

Maeve returned in a moment, tapping her wand on the flowers she murmured, “Conservo Floridus.” She tucked them into her sisters’ coiffure and smiled. “There, that is lovely.”

“Thank you, Maeve. I hope this is as wonderful a night as we’ve always dreamed. I do like Regulus, he is very nice, and I’m sorry for all the moaning and worrying you’ve had to listen to all summer.”

“I’m just glad to know you’re happy. I hope you are as happy for the rest of your life as you are right now.” Maeve answered, hugging her sister gently. “Now, let’s go dance and have a wonderful time!”

The boys were standing just outside the door when the girls opened it. Both somber faces broke into smiles of pleasure when the girls appeared. Regulus stepped forward, breaking the silence, “I cannot believe you are even more enchanting than you were at dinner, but I must admit I am amazed. Shall we go?”

Morag blushed prettily and took his arm, murmuring her thanks for his compliment.

Sirius held out his arm, silent until Maeve tucked her hand into his elbow. “You look stunning.”

Maeve smiled at the compliment and teased, “Well, I feel like a troll next to my sister this evening.”

Sirius slowed their pace a bit and whispered, “You’re not supposed to outshine the future bride your, its not good form.”

“Aren’t you a silver tongued devil?” observed Maeve.

“If you say so.” Sirius smirked.

The huge double doors to the ballroom stood open and the sound of music floated through the air. The parents of the newly betrothed couple stood just inside the door chatting amicably as their children approached.

“Your boys are quite handsome,” Mrs. Stewart told Mrs. Black.

“Thank you. I must return the compliment. Your daughters are quite lovely,” Mrs. Black replied.

Mr. Stewart stepped forward and kissed Morag’s cheek. “You look marvelous daughter.”

“Thank you, Da.”

“You’ll take care not to hurt her young man, or you’ll answer to me,” Mr. Stewart said quietly to Regulus.

“I’ll treat her as if she’s a Princess, sir. I promise you that,” Regulus vowed.

“It’s time to begin the dancing Regulus,” His mother announced haughtily.

“Yes, mother,” Regulus agreed. “Will you honor me with the first dance, Morag?”

“I would love to,” she answered with a happy smile.

He led her to the center of the dance floor and nodded to the orchestra. They circled the dance floor gracefully and were applauded before other couples joined them.

Sirius executed a half-bow to Maeve and asked gallantly, “May I have the honor?”

Maeve suppressed a giggle, nodded regally before taking his hand. “You may.”

‘At last!’ Sirius thought. ‘She’s in my arms. This is heavenly’

‘I’m so glad he actually asked me to dance!’ Maeve thought happily. ‘He’s such a good dancer. I do hope I don’t trip.’

Unfortunately, as the song ended they ended very near to Mr. and Mrs. Black. “Sirius, a word,” his mother ordered.

Sirius grimaced before nodding to his mother. He turned his attention back to Maeve, “Thank you so much for the dance. I hope to claim another before long.” He inclined his head toward his mother, trying to signal to her that he had no choice but to go.

Maeve nodded her understanding, trying not to be too disappointed. “That would be lovely.”

Sirius led her to his parents. “Father, Mother, this is Maeve Stewart. Maeve, my I introduce you to my parents?”

A light blush touched her cheeks as she murmured, “It’s a great pleasure you meet you. You have a lovely home.”

Mrs. Black nodded regally. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well. It is a nice change to meet a young person who knows her manners.” She pointedly looked at Sirius as she spoke.

Sirius stiffened at the implied insult. He masked his features into polite blandness and offered his arm to his mother, “You wished to speak with me, Mother?”

“Indeed.” She took his arm and steered him out of the ballroom.

Sirius glanced over his shoulder in time to see his father asking Maeve to dance. Controlling the urge to wince for her sake he escorted his mother out of the room. Before she could speak he reached into his robe and withdrew his wand, holding it out to her. “I assume this is what you wanted.”

Mrs. Black frowned slightly. “You seem to be accommodating.” She took the wand and tucked it into her robes.

“Just trying to prove I’ve learned my lesson, Mother.”

Suspicion filled her eyes as she considered his remark. Reluctantly she admitted, “It’s true you haven’t caused any trouble since you’ve been here, aside from chasing the owls from the owlery.”

“A light joke, Mother. You wouldn’t want me to lose all of my sense of humor would you?”

“Sirius, I had hoped by now you would have learned your pranks aren’t funny to anyone but yourself. You embarrass the House of Black when you act so impetuously.”

Sirius hung his head, biting back the sharp retorts that came to mind. “Yes, Mother.”

“This is neither the time nor place for this discussion. Run along and behave yourself, you and I will discuss this very soon.”

Sirius was desperate to get away from his mother’s disapproval. Although he wanted to run in any direction to get away from his mother, he also knew tonight was to be a test. “Would you like me to escort you back to the ballroom?”

Mrs. Black took his arm and replied, “There may be hope for you yet, Sirius.”

Sirius scanned the crowd as they entered the ballroom. His father was still dancing with Maeve. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart were near the door, watching their daughters dancing. Mr. Steward hailed them calling out, “It seems your son is a bit taken with my daughter!”

Sirius blanched, thinking for a moment Mr. Stewart had somehow discovered his feelings for Maeve.

Mrs. Stewart, watching the dancers, smiled happily. “They do look well together.”

Regulus and Morag swirled past them, both oblivious to anyone but each other.

Mrs. Black watched her youngest son and his betrothed for a moment before agreeing, “They do seem to get along well together.” She dropped Sirius’s arm. “This is my eldest son, Sirius.”

Sirius bowed slightly and offered his hand to Mr. Stewart. “An honor to meet you, Sir." He smiled charmingly at Mrs. Stewart. "And a pleasure to meet you, Ma'am.”

Mr. Stewart grasped Sirius’s outstretched hand and pumped it vigorously. “So you’re the young reprobate that was nearly the lucky dog to be betrothed to my daughter.”

“Yes, Sir. Had I known how lovely your daughter is, I would have behaved myself much better in the past. Unfortunately for me, my brother is the lucky one.”

Mr. Stewart laughed heartily. “Hind sight and all that, right young fellow?”

Mrs. Stewart swatted her husbands’ arm. “Be nice Brian!”

“I’m always nice, Gretchen!” he answered his wife, dropping Sirius’s hand. “Run along, young man, I’m sure you don’t want to spend this lovely party in the company of old fogey’s like us!”

Sirius bobbed another shallow bow. “Thank you, Sir. Mother, I leave you in good hands.”

Without waiting for his mother’s reply, he headed toward the punchbowl, hoping someone had spiked it. He was sipping at the bland, unfortified punch, when James bounded up to him.

“Saw you leave with your mother, mate. How’d that go?”

“As expected.”

“Took your wand back?”

“Only one of them.”

James guffawed at Sirius’s smirk. “What shall we do, mate? Have at some of these lovely ladies? Hit the gaming rooms and see if we can win a few galleons, or let off some of those fireworks I know you have hidden somewhere?”

“I think it’s the ladies for me, chum. I think we should save the fireworks for another day. I fear I’m being tested tonight and you know I don’t like to fail tests.”

“Look, isn’t that Maeve headed this way?”

Sirius grinned widely. “Yes it is.” He turned to the punchbowl and lifted an empty cup, which filled itself.

“That’s a neat trick,” Maeve said as she joined the boys.

“I told you at dinner, my mother is a master when it comes to organizing these affairs.”

“That you did. Your father seems a nice sort,” she observed, taking the cup of punch from Sirius.

“He’s minding his manners. I’m sure mother organized that too!” laughed Sirius.

“Maeve, would you care to take a turn ‘round the dance floor?” James offered.

“That would be lovely,” she answered, not seeing Sirius glare at his mate. They set their cups down, not noticing when the cups cleaned themselves.

Regulus and Morag approached the punchbowl, laughing quietly together. “Having a nice time, brother?” Regulus smirked.

“Very nice. Would you mind if I took your betrothed for a turn about the floor?” Sirius replied, ignoring his brother’s snide attitude toward him.

“Actually, yes I do mind. However, if she’s willing to have you trod all over her feet, I’ll allow it.”

“Of course I’ll dance with you Sirius. We’re to be family one day,” Morag agreed.

Sirius led her to the dance floor, sweeping her into a perfect waltz. “You seem to be getting on with my brother.”

“Yes, he’s quite gallant, isn’t he?”

“Not quite the word I would use to describe my brother,” Sirius answered, not wanting to upset Morag. “We don’t get along as well as you and your sister.”

“Maeve is a wonderful sister, we are quite close.”

Their dance was interrupted by a tap on Sirius’s shoulder. “You’ve had her long enough. I’d like to spend some more time getting to know my future wife.”

Sirius bowed mockingly to his brother. “As you say. Morag, should I let my clumsy brother replace me for the remainder of this dance?”

Morag giggled lightly. “If you don’t mind.”

“Not at all.” Sirius wandered to the edge of the filled dance floor, looking for James and Maeve. The song ended just as he spotted them.

He made his way to where they stood chatting. “Would you like to dance again, or would you care for a bit of a break?”

“Oh, Sirius, I thought you’d never ask!” James answered in a falsetto voice, grinning at his friends’ discomfiture.

“I didn’t mean you, you loon. You know I don’t like dancing with you because you never let me lead!” Sirius retorted.

“Well, I’m for a bit of fresh air,” Maeve broke in, laughing at their banter.

“May I take you for a tour of the gardens?” Sirius asked.

“I’d love it!”

Sirius leaned over to whisper in James’ ear, “Bugger off, mate.”

“I can tell when I’m not needed,” James answered, “Maeve, I’m off to see that none of the girls feel like wallflowers. Watch yourself with this bloke. If you need help, send up sparks.”

“Oh, I can take care of myself.”

James made his way through the ballroom as Sirius offered his arm to Maeve and led her onto the veranda. Maeve's pulse began to race. Her handsome escort had a roguish gleam in his eyes. She allowed him to lead her toward the shadowy garden, hoping this night was about to become even more magical.

OoOoO

I hope you've enjoyed reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it! Please let me know what you think!