Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 15 “ A Walk in the Garden

Maeve wasn’t certain if she was relieved or disappointed the gardens had several couples strolling together chatting quietly.

Sirius was positive he was disappointed. He’d hoped for some time alone with Maeve and did not want to worry about being interrupted. He sighed. Perhaps it was better there were people strolling about. It certainly reduced the chances he might get slapped.

“It’s lovely out here,” Maeve said.

The sigh in her voice made wonder if she had hoped for more privacy as well. He replied, “Yes, my grandmother had the gardens reconstructed just after her marriage to my grandfather. She even had a trust created so the gardens will be cared for until the money runs out.”

“You must be joking! I’ve never heard of such a thing.”

“Not at all. Very shrewd, my grandmother, she loved these gardens. No one, other than the trustee for that fund knows how much money is there. Supposedly he was in his cups one night and said there was enough there to care for these gardens for centuries.”

“Amazing.”

Sirius shrugged. The quirks of his family didn’t really interest him. “Tell me about yourself.”

Maeve glanced at him sharply. “What do you want to know?”

“Well, I know you like dogs that sneeze when they smell your potions,” he teased lightly. “I also know you like to read. You are a wonderful dancer. What else do you enjoy?”

“Firstly, that dog sneezed when he smelled the potion ingredients!” She laughed at his surprised expression. “I do like to read, although I prefer to read for enjoyment than to study. I have always liked dancing lessons, but I prefer flying.”

“Just flying? Or do you play Quidditch?”

“Usually just flying. There’s a meadow behind our house Father has put a muggle repelling charm around. Sometimes, when I have trouble sleeping at night I like to go out and just fly around. I do like to play Quidditch occasionally though.”

“Which position do you like to play?”

Maeve smiled at the animation that came to every boy’s face when they talked about Quidditch. Sirius was no exception. “Seeker actually.”

“I like to play Keeper. There’s just something about stopping an opponent from scoring a goal that is imminently satisfying.”

“I prefer Seeker, finding and catching the Snitch is just as satisfying!”

Sirius smiled. “I can see your point. Finding and catching something you highly desire sounds very satisfying indeed. Perhaps I’ll try Seeking sometime.”

“What’s your favorite class in school?” Maeve asked quickly, aware that her handsome escort was talking of something other than Quidditch and not quite ready for heavy flirtation.

“Transfiguration,” Sirius answered promptly. “What else would it be, being a Gryffindor and having McGonagall as head of house?”

“Well, I’m a Hufflepuff and although I do like Charms, I prefer Potions,” Maeve answered with a bright smile. “I think I might be a Healer when I finish school.”

“Potions? Potions is alright I guess. Slughorn certainly seems to like brewing up all those draughts of his. He tried to get me to join his Slug Club, but all he wanted was to have a Black in his club, it wasn’t me he liked, just my family. He always comments on the fact that I should have been put in his House.”

“Slughorn is a laugh from time to time. But it’s the potions themselves that I like learning to brew. When I’m home Mother usually asks my help in brewing up handy potions.”

“Find that fun do you?” Sirius smirked.

“Yes, sometimes. What about you? What do you do for fun?”

They strolled for a moment while Sirius contemplated his answer. “I like hanging out with my mates at school. James is, without a doubt, my best mate. Do you know Remus Lupin or Peter Pettigrew?”

“Lupin, yes I think I know him. He’s a prefect isn’t he?”

Sirius chuckled. “Yes, they pinned that on him. I think Dumbledore did that thinking Remus would be a good influence on the rest of us.”

“And how’s he faring so far?”

“Abysmally!”

Maeve laughed at his candor. “So, the stories are true?”

“What stories are you referring to?”

“Oh, the ones about you and your mates torturing others, frightening first years, hexing anyone that gets in your way.”

“Oh, those. Well, torture is a harsh word. Deservingly pranked is how we see it, but a few stories might be true,” Sirius admitted. He noticed with pleasure that as they went deeper into the gardens they were more and more alone.

“You seem so nice. Who would you torture?”

“You really have to adjust your vocabulary," he teased.

She giggled. "Very well...who deserved your pranks?"

Well, there’s always that greasy git, Snape,” Sirius conceded, "but really, is that what you want to talk about?”

Maeve looked around and realized they were quite alone. Blushing nervously, she stammered, “Th-there’s also the stories about what a c-cad you are.”

“Cad? Do I seem like a cad to you?” He stepped a bit closer to her.

“N-no. Not really.” She took a deep breath and looked up into his smoldering eyes. “Erm, d-do you think we should go back in?”

“Presently,” Sirius agreed, his voice just a touch above a whisper. “Maeve, do you know I saw you the first day I got here?”

“That day at the library?”

“No, it was before that. I saw you from a window, and when I saw you, I knew I wanted to get to know you." He smiled. "After I realized you were a witch and went to Hogwarts, I couldn’t have been more pleased. I’d like to get to know you much better.”

Maeve’s heart pounded. “Y-you would?”

“More than anything.” He reached up and tucked a wayward curl behind her ear, letting his fingers rest against her cheek for a moment. Her skin was just as soft as he’d imagined it being.

“I think I’d like that too.”

He ran his fingers gently under her chin and lifted it slightly. Slowly he lowered his head, giving her plenty of time to pull away.

Maeve knew she probably shouldn’t let Sirius kiss her so soon, but the combination of the moonlit garden, the romance of the betrothal, and the excitement of their first dance still pulsed through her.

Very gently, Sirius brushed his lips against hers. Her mouth was warm and petal soft. Excitement flowed through his veins.

Maeve’s breath caught in her throat, an electric jolt of excitement shot through her as he lightly brushed his lips against hers.

Just as Sirius was about to deepen the kiss, a male voice called out his name. He pulled back, cursing silently, but smiled at the sweet expression on Maeve’s face. “I think we’ve been missed.”

Maeve smiled in return, nodding at the inevitable. “I guess we should head back in now.”

“I suppose so,” Sirius agreed regretfully.

“Sirius!” called out the voice again, coming from much closer.

“Here,” Sirius called back, stepping away from Maeve a bit. Gesturing with his head toward the Manor, they began walking back.

James came into view after they had taken only a few steps. “Sirius, I hate to interrupt your walk, but I heard your mother wondering where you were and figured it would be better for her to find you closer to the house.”

Sirius nodded ruefully. “She probably has something for me to do, a toast or some such thing.” They quickened their pace as they returned to the ballroom. Once on the veranda, Sirius gave James the nod to go inside without them before asking, "Maeve, I don't want to let you go. I know it's not proper to monopolize your time, but would you care for another dance?”

“I’d love to,” she answered, with a smile that made him grin as he led her toward the party and their dance.