Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 17 “ An Invitation



“So what do you say Maeve?”



Maeve turned from the drawing room window. She knew it was rude to stare off, but she had a hard time organizing her thoughts. Instead of enjoying Sirius Black's intense regard, she'd found herself ill-at-ease. The conversation between Sirius and Regulus that she and Morag had overheard kept playing over and over in her head.



“Sometimes I wonder where your mind takes you sister,” Morag said, once she’d gained her sister's attention.



“What do you mean?”



“The boys have just invited us to join them on a picnic this afternoon. Doesn’t that sound like fun?”



"Fun?" Maeve looked blindly around the room, her gaze finally landing on Sirius who was smiling at her in his most charming way. She nodded. “That sounds nice. Perhaps we’ll find Snuffles and I can introduce you.”



Regulus laughed. “And who would this Snuffles person be?”



Maeve smiled faintly. “He’s a stray dog I’ve been running into this summer. He’s quite big, and very shaggy. He’s really quite sweet for all he’s nearly as big as a bear. If I’d been near a church the first time I’d seen him I would have probably been scared out of my wits thinking he was a Grim.”



“You forget, I’ve seen him. I shooed him out of the library after you’d let him in,” Sirius teased. “He didn’t seem so very fearsome to me.”



A faint flush colored Maeve’s cheeks. “I didn’t let him in. He went in on his own. I just didn’t want him to get caught by the librarian.”



Sirius smirked at her blush and replied, “I remember, that was the day we first met.”



Regulus watched the interplay between them fixedly. “I didn’t know the two of you knew each other before last night.”



Sirius turned a cold eye toward his brother. “Since when have I ever discussed who I get to know with you?”



Regulus cleared his throat, looking as though he were biting back a sharp retort. Sirius knew his brother wouldn't let himself get caught up in a battle of wits when they had an audience. He'd be mortified to lose. The gleam in his eye told Sirius an idea had spawned in that Slytherin mind. Reggie said with transparent cunning, “Sirius, I just thought if you had spent some time with a lovely young lady like Maeve here, you would have mentioned it.”



“You overestimate your powers of observation, brother,” Sirius replied blithely.



Regulus' eyes widened. Apparently he recognized the signs of his brother revving up to have a go, for he turned hastily to Maeve and said, “So, is the outing agreeable? A picnic at the Manor?”



Maeve flushed lightly, watching the brothers. She wondered at Sirius’ attitude. He had seemed so pleasant the day they had met in the library. He'd been the perfect gentleman during the ball last night, escorting her to dinner. He’d told her his mother had ‘ordered’ him to escort her to dinner and he had ‘pretended’ to be reluctant. Sirius had basically said the same thing to his brother, but the words had sounded so different, so harsh, and even cruel. What was the truth? She had to know, so she said, "“That sounds lovely. What time were you thinking?”



Morag squeezed her sisters’ hand. “I knew you wouldn’t let me down!” she whispered.



“Hmmm, perhaps around two?” Regulus suggested.



“It will have to be a bit later than that. Today is mother’s day to receive callers. She won’t be finished till around four or so. Will that be too late?” Morag suggested.



“Not at all. Four o’clock it is.” Regulus took her hand and kissed it. “Although the thought of so many hours before I can enjoy your company seems far too many.”



Sirius rolled his eyes and smirked toward Maeve, trying to share a private joke. He was puzzled when she didn’t grin in return. “Sounds smashing, we’ll see you girls at four.”



OoOoO



After lunch, Sirius wandered around the Manor feeling restless. He was tempted to go for a run, but knowing he wouldn’t find Maeve took the relish out of that idea. He could hear his mother ordering the Elves about, preparing for a full-blown picnic. He’d been hoping for a quiet picnic where the two couples could wander off in separate directions after they’d eaten.



Now there would be genteel wizarding games, and 'civilized' eating outdoors, not sitting on a tablecloth on the ground but at tables under awnings. She was effectively taking all the romance out of the idea of a picnic. Sirius couldn’t even complain. If he did, she might figure out that he actually cared about Maeve. Knowing his mother's vindictive side, she would probably enchant the girl into believing him a monster.



The crack of billiard balls drew his attention. He strolled into the gaming room to see his brother hand several galleons to Lucius Malfoy. "You should never bet more than you can afford to lose," drawled the older man, in a condescending tone that made Regulus flush with humiliation.



Sirius clapped his hands in a slow, mocking gesture. "I say, well done, Malfoy." When Lucius raised a brow at his facetious tone, he continued, "What's next on your agenda, a jaunt to the village to steal candy from children?"



Lucius smiled coolly. "Why bother to rob Muggle spawn when I can fleece pure-bloods without getting my shoes dusty?"



"Think you could beat me?" asked Sirius.



"And your mother said you weren't clever enough to be a Ravenclaw," Lucius mocked. "Name your stakes."



"Double what you hustled out of Regulus," Sirius answered, ignoring his brother's protest to say, "If you have the nerve to bet on something other than a sure win."



Malfoy smirked. "Are you sure you can cover that bet? My fiancée tells me you don't even get pocket money anymore."



"I have an inheritance."



Lucius waved an arm toward the rack of cue sticks hanging on the wall. "Then by all means, let's see how soon a fool and his money are parted."



Sirius laughed. "Shouldn't take long, and you can always console yourself with the lesser known saying. A fool and his money make a good fiancée."



"I want to play too," Regulus cut in.



While Sirius looked at his brother in surprise, Malfoy sneered. "Haven't you been schooled enough for one day, boy? Do you really need another lesson?" He waved his hand in a shooing motion. "We can't have a game with three players..."



"We could play cutthroat," Sirius cut in. "Each of us takes five balls. I'll pick 11-15. Last man with a ball still on the table after all others have been eliminated is the winner." He inwardly chuckled when Malfoy curled a lip and chose one through five. His silent amusement became glee when the arrogant Death Eater took the first shot and knocked the number 7 ball into the left corner pocket.



The wizard said derisively while taking aim at the number 6 ball, "Next time, learn your lesson the first time, boy. You're out of your league." He sank the ball and surveyed the pool table. "Number 11 this time."



"It's your funeral," Sirius muttered.



"What was that?" Lucius asked indignantly.



"Nothing, except that you'll miss the shot and then Regulus is going to take you out, and teach you never to underestimate the determination of a Black."



"Hardly," Lucius scoffed, bending over his cue stick once more. Moments later, he stared in disbelief at the ball he'd failed to knock into a pocket.



"My turn, I believe," said Regulus, applying chalk to the end of his cue. He examined the lay of the balls and looked from the former Slytherin alumni to his brother. With a slight smile, he said, "Number 1 in the right corner pocket."



-



James arrived in time to watch Sirius' number 13 ball outlast Regulus' number 9. Sirius told Malfoy, "Who said thirteen was unlucky? Thanks for the pocket money."



The arrogant git didn't answer, just gave Regulus a fulminating look and stalked out of the billiards room.



"Did I miss the fun?" asked James.



"You did. Reggie taught our future cousin-in-law a very important lesson. Never play cutthroat against the Black family. Regardless of our differences, we eliminate outsiders first." Sirius tossed the small bag of galleons over to his brother, who took them with a frown. "But you won, fair and square."



Sirius clapped Regulus on the shoulder. "I couldn't have done it without you, so buy your fiancée something pretty...maybe some roses to match the ones you put in her cheeks."



Regulus did something he hadn't done in a long, long time. He smiled at his brother with genuine affection. "Thank you, Sirius. I will."



After the younger boy had left, James said, "Did my eyes deceive me or did your brother...the incredible prat...actually thank you with a smile?"



"Shut it and grab a cue stick."



"Why? You need money after throwing it away so recklessly?"



Sirius grinned. "Exactly."