Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 19 “ The More Private Picnic

Maeve sat on a hill above the Old Quay, staring unseeingly at the seals playing in the water or sunning on the rocks. Her thoughts were filled with Sirius Black. His stormy gray eyes, silky black hair, and charming smile that sent shivers down her spine when she remembered how gentle his kiss had been.

These thoughts should be making her world feel wonderful, yet she couldn't forget overhearing him talking about her to his brother as if she were nothing to him. He had told her that his mother had ordered him to escort her to dinner, but when he'd spoken the same words to his brother it sounded as if it had truly been a trial to him.

Had she been nothing but a trial to him? Was she that boring?

She remembered watching the seals play on these very rocks with him. They had laughed and flirted. He'd been outrageous, yet charming. He'd made some sort of off-color remark, and she'd laughed and pretended to be offended. Yet now she wondered if she'd just been some girl for him to pass his time with while he was staying in Machrie Moor.

Her thoughts wandered back to the night of her sister's betrothal. He'd taken her for a walk in the garden and he had given her her very first kiss. It had been soft, sweet, and very gentle- everything a first kiss should be.

A yipping bark startled her out of her reverie. "Snuffles!" she exclaimed happily, before calling the huge black dog over to her.

Sirius couldn’t believe his luck. He wasn’t supposed to meet Maeve until late afternoon for another, more private, picnic. Yet, here she was. Life was good.

He had decided to go for a run to get away from his family and the leftover guests that acted as though they would never leave. He’d been running through the woods that ran along the top of the hills bordering Brodick Bay when the glint of the sun on coppery curls caught his eye. He couldn’t stop a yip of surprise when he saw her. She’d heard him and called him over by the pet name she had come up with, Snuffles.

He romped over to her, tail wagging, happy that he would have even more time to spend with her.

Maeve reached eagerly for the dog she’d become so fond of, glad for the distraction from her maudlin thoughts. “I haven’t seen you for so long I thought your family must have left and taken you with them. I guess you escaped again,” Maeve said as she ran her fingers through his silky fur.

Sirius rumbled deep in his chest, wishing he were in his human form.

Maeve giggled. “I think you might just understand me sometimes. I could use a friend just about now.”

Sirius cocked his head at her, wondering what she was talking about. He curled up next to her, laying his head in her lap, silently urging her to confide in him. Perhaps she might give him a clue as to what Andie had been saying earlier.

“She is a lovely girl, Sirius.”

“But?. . .”

“I don’t really want to add a ‘but’,” Andie replied with a cheeky smile.

“Fine. However...” Sirius urged, rolling his eyes at his cousin's joke.

“Much better. However, I think she has some reservations about you,” Andie admitted.

“What do you mean? We get along so well!”

“You do have quite a reputation at school, perhaps that’s all I was picking up on.”

“Andie, you are my favorite cousin, but I don’t believe that’s what you really think. Maeve is a wonderful girl. She’s pretty, smart, and the nicest person I've ever met. What is it about her that you don’t like?”

“I do like her! I’m just not so sure she cares about you as much as you care about her. If she were as sweet on you as you are on her she would have been more. . .”

“More?. . .”

“I’m not sure. More excited about talking about you, I suppose. Girls generally can’t stop talking about boys they like- especially when they have only known them for a short period of time.” Seeing the woebegone look on her cousins face she added, “Perhaps she was reserved because I’m a stranger to her. I can tell that she likes you, Sirius. There just seems to be some reserve there I can’t quite put my finger on."


Sirius grumbled at bit over the memory, and nudged Maeve’s hand, silently begging for caresses he wouldn’t dare ask her for in his human form.

“Oh, Snuggles, what should I do?” Maeve asked aloud, talking more to herself than to the huge black dog. She looked down into expressive gray eyes and let out a humorless laugh. “You see, there’s this boy,” she began, “oh, what am I doing? Talking to a dog?”

Sirius sat up and woofed quietly, hoping she would take the hint and continue talking.

Maeve stared at him for a long moment. “Oh, why not. It’s not like you can tell anyone what I say. There’s this boy I’ve met. He’s really quite wonderful. Tall, dark and handsome, and so incredibly charming...” She stopped to rub the dog’s head, smiling when he closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. “Problem is, I don’t know if he really likes me.”

Sirius jerked back and watched in astonishment as she dropped her hands to her lap and her eyes turned toward the seals playing in the water. Her lips turned up at the corners, but the smile was sad. "I don't have much experience with boys, so I don't know how to tell when Sirius is being sincere, and when he isn't." She sighed. "I want to believe he deceived his mother and brother to be with me, protect me, but how can I be sure?"

"Woof!" Sirius protested, before remembering he was a dog.

Maeve looked down and ruffled his fur. There were tears in her eyes. "He gave me my first kiss. I can't believe it meant nothing to him...that I mean nothing..." She brushed her tears away and rose to her feet. Sniffing, she said resolutely, "I'll find a way to ask him..." Her shoulders drooped. "Somehow..." She petted him one last time and smiled. "Thank you for listening, Mr. Snuffles."

Sirius watched her leave, reeling from what she'd said. He didn't know how she'd learnt about his conversation with Regulus, but he would have to find a way to assure her that she was the one person he would never deceive... somehow...

OoOoO

Sirius approached the Standing Stones at Fingal’s Cauldron Seat, where he’d promised to meet Maeve. He was glad to see he was early; he wanted to make everything perfect. He sat the picnic basket he carried on the stone with a hole in it, remembering Maeve telling him the hero, Fingal, had supposedly tied his dog there while he cooked a meal.

He had begged a special meal from Fancy, his favorite house elf. The basket was charmed to be lightweight, for which he was thankful, for Fancy had packed it full. He pulled out a tablecloth, charmed to repel insects, and spread it where the moss was dry and soft. Quickly he set out bowls and plates filled with food. The dishes were charmed as well. The cheeses, strawberries, and cream would stay cold while the canapés would stay hot. A sterling silver bucket held bottles of lemonade and cider.

He finished just in time to look up and see Maeve approaching. She looked a bit nervous, but she was smiling. He took that as a good sign.

“I hope I haven’t kept you waiting long.” She said, as she got closer.

“Not at all, I’m just now finishing up.” He reached into the basket and pulled out a perfect rose. Holding it out to her, he smiled. “For you, although it pales in comparison.”

A light blush colored her cheeks as Maeve accepted the rose. “It’s lovely.”

Sirius looked at the rose with a puzzled expression. “I thought so too.”

“And you don’t think so now?”

“It’s pretty, but its beauty has faded since it’s been in your hands.” He looked into her eyes and added, “Perhaps it just can’t compete with your beauty.”

Maeve laughed. “And perhaps I should have worn boots.”

“Boots?”

“Yes, boots. With what you’re attempting to shovel around here my shoes might get soiled.”

A bark of laughter escaped Sirius before he could pretend to be affronted. “Here I try to give you a compliment and you accuse me of spreading manure. Is there no romance in your soul?”

“Of course there is. I’ve just yet to have anything to fuel its fire,” she teased lightly. Maeve was relieved that he acted as he always had when they were alone, although she couldn’t help doubting his sincerity. Not wanting to ruin the moment, she tried to push those thoughts aside.

“Well, I guess we’ll have to see what we can do about that.” He wasn’t sure how to handle knowing her fears without her realizing he knew. “Are you hungry? Fancy outdid herself packing this picnic.”

Maeve looked at the dishes spread out beside them. “You went to so much trouble. Thank you.”

Sirius sat down and reached up to take her hand and tug lightly. “It was no trouble at all. Let’s eat.” He plucked a strawberry from the bowl and held it out to her. “Try one, I couldn’t help sampling a few and they were delicious.”

Maeve took the strawberry and bit into the tart sweetness before sitting on the cloth next to Sirius. She said, “Mmmm, well, since you’ve already had your share I guess I get the rest.”

Sirius was glad to see the glint of teasing laughter in her eyes. This was the girl he’d come to care for. She was so full of life, happiness and fun. He’d hated seeing her cry, and he’d hated himself for being the cause of those tears. He couldn’t help teasing her in return, “Surely you wouldn’t deprive me of all of them?”

She grabbed another berry and popped it in her mouth, closing her eyes and savoring it. “I don’t know…these are awfully good!”

Sirius picked up the plate of hot canapés, holding it out to her. “Here, try one of these, maybe they will sway you away from my strawberries!”

Maeve took a canapé and nibbled, enjoying the soft, flaky crust, melted cheese, and savory filling. “Your Fancy certainly knows how to plan a picnic.”

“I noticed the other day at the picnic what you seemed to enjoy and asked Fancy to prepare them for you.”

“You watched what I ate?” she asked, slightly alarmed. Had she made a pig of herself?

“No, I didn’t really watch what you were eating so much as I was watching you.”

“Oh,” she replied, not knowing what to say after that.

Sirius notices she seemed a bit embarrassed. He reached into the basket for goblets. “Would you prefer lemonade or cider?”

“Cider, please,” Maeve answered, glad for a change of subject.

“I tried to get Fancy to add a bottle of wine, but she threatened to hit me over the head with a bottle.”

Maeve laughed at the image. “Not really!”

“Oh, yes. Really! Just imagine this little house elf with a tiny button nose looking at me quite fiercely.” He held up an imaginary bottle and adopted a squeaky voice, “Young sir is knowing better than to try that with Fancy. What is you wanting to do? My mistress will surely be threatening Fancy with clothes if I’s to allow that to happen!”

Sirius chuckled at Maeve’s delighted giggles. He said, “If you can imagine that, picture me grabbing the basket and running for the door before she confiscated it in her rage!”

Maeve’s giggles changed to full-blown laughter as she pictured the scene he painted.

“I can’t believe I actually told you about that. Quite embarrassing really,” Sirius said, pretending to be a bit ashamed.

Tears were beginning to form in the corners of her eyes as she continued to laugh. Gasping for breath she pleaded, “Oh, stop! Please! I can’t breathe!” She took a shaky sip of her cider before giggling again. “I can just picture a grown boy like you quavering in fear from a tiny little house elf with a wine bottle as a weapon!”

“It was quite frightening,” he said with a grin.

“I’m sure.”

“Have you given any thought as to what you’d like to do when we finish eating?” he asked, nibbling on some cheese.

“I hadn’t really thought that far. What do you have in mind?”

“We could hire a couple of bicycles and ride up to Brodick’s castle,” he offered.

“I haven’t been to the castle since I was very little. That sounds like fun. Will it be open this late in the day?”

“Being a Black does have a few advantages,” he replied lightly. “I checked and it seems there’s an old wizard that’s the grounds keeper there, we shouldn’t have any problem.”

“You never know,” Maeve taunted. “We might have a bit more pull with me being a Stewart. My family does live here year round.”

Sirius chuckled before answering, “You just might be right.”

After they finished eating, Maeve watched Sirius pull one last thing from the basket, a tiny golden bell. “What’s that for?” she asked.

Sirius only grinned and rang the bell lightly. A moment later a house elf appeared. “Young sir is finished with the picnic?” she asked in a piping voice.

“Yes, Fancy. Would you take these things back to the Manor, please?” Sirius answered in a kind voice.

Fancy smiled fondly before disappearing with the remains of the picnic.

Maeve held back a giggle until they were alone again.

“Imagining her with a wine bottle, eh?” Sirius said, chuckling. He and Maeve walked to the village, laughing and teasing about how ‘fierce’ little Fancy was. Sirius hired the bicycles with money James had slipped him ‘just in case’. The ride to the castle seemed to take no time at all.

“Do you know the story of the castle?” Sirius asked, as they parked their bikes.

“Well, I know it was built sometime in the fifth century and there’s a room that’s known as “Bruce’s Room”, but it’s said that it was unlikely that Robert The Bruce ever stayed here,” Maeve said.

“That’s the tiniest tip of the iceberg, young lady,” a querulous voice inserted. An old man, bent with age, stepped into view. “Visiting hours are long past.”

“Ah, good sir. My name is Sirius Black and we wondered if you might be persuaded to take us on a brief tour.”

“Black, eh? Any relation to Alphard Black?” the old man asked suspiciously.

“As a matter of fact he was my uncle,” Sirius replied, thinking it was about time he got some use out of his family connections.

“Was? Was! That old goat!” the old man spat angrily.

Sirius was astonished. Generally, anyone he met that had known his uncle had liked him. “What do you mean?”

“That Alphard Black, he swore he’d die before he paid me the twenty galleons he owed me and I’ll be damned if he didn’t!”

Amused by the man’s story, Sirius said, “I assure you Mr…”

“McClellan, Angus McClellan.”

“Mr. McClellan, Uncle Alphard died quite involuntarily of dragon pox, but if he owed you a debt, I’ll be happy to see it good the next time I go to Gringott’s.”

“Ye think I’d be taking money from you for a debt you don’t owe? Be ye crazed?” the old man asked, suspicion colored his tone again.

“Not at all. It’s just that my uncle left me a good bit of gold and I’d be happy to see his debt settled.” Sirius answered quickly. He thought, Especially when my generosity makes a pretty girl smile approvingly.

“We’ll see about that. I’ll believe it when the owl comes with me gold.” He turned to Maeve and asked in a kindlier voice, “Now, who be you?”

“Maeve Stewart, good sir,” she answered politely.

“Brian Stewart’s daughter?”

“Yes, sir.”

The old man’s face wreathed in smiles. “I’ve taken many a good drink with yer father, girl.” He opened the gate and guided them into the castle, telling them of the history of the porcelain, furniture, and arguing with a painting of a knight about which room Robert The Bruce actually slept in. Sirius found Maeve’s look of rapt interest more fascinating than historical facts.

At the end of the tour, Angus led them to a door and said, “A walled garden lies beyond. Courtin’ couples have always strolled its paths, so yer welcome to continue the tradition.”

Maeve smiled eagerly, but Sirius reminded, “We have to return the bicycles.”

Angus looked at the girl’s disappointed face and said, “I have a pair of grandsons who will return them for yeh. Meet me at the Summer House beyond the garden. Yeh can Floo home from there.”

Sirius and Maeve thanked the man heartily. McClellan waved them into the garden with a smile.

-

The sun was just beginning to set when they came upon a bench nestled between two giant rhododendrons. Sirius gestured for her to have a seat. Maeve said, “This has been a lovely day, Sirius. Thank you.”

“I’ve enjoyed myself immensely, Maeve.” He reached over to tuck a curl behind her ear and whispered huskily, “How is it we keep ending up in gardens?”

“I-I’m not sure,” Maeve stuttered nervously.

“Maeve, I want you to know something,” he said, playing with a curl lying on her shoulder.

She stared into his eyes, silently begging him to tell her the truth.

He said, “I’ve never known a girl like you before, and I’m very glad my brother was the one to be betrothed to your sister.”

Her heart pounded. “Why do you say that?”

“Because it would be bloody hell to be married to her and not be allowed to fall in love with you,” he said earnestly.

“Wh-What did you say?” she asked, not believing he actually said what she’d dreamed of hearing.

“I said, I think I’m falling in love with you. I hope you care for me too.”

“Do you really?”

“I won’t lie to you Maeve. I may lie to my entire bloody family, but I won’t lie to you. I promise!”

His vehement words were all the more meaningful to her, because his tone was so gentle. Maeve said, “I do care for you, so much…and it hurt so badly to doubt…”

“Perhaps I can make your doubts go away,” he said quietly, bending to capture her lips with his.