Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 21 “ The Dart Tournament

“Well Lucius, it looks as though our competition is prompt at least. I do wonder how they’ll play,” Rodolphus commented blandly.

“There won’t be much from Regulus if he throws like he shoots billiards,” Lucius replied with a smirk.

“What of your older cousin, Bella? Any skill there?” Rodolphus asked.

“Being a complete cad is Sirius’ most honed skill,” Bellatrix said acidly.

“An absolute bounder!” Narcissa chimed in. “You remember how he frightened all the owls off so I wouldn’t be able to write to you not long ago Lucius.”

Lucius gazed down at his betrothed, appearing to show concern for her frustration, while concealing his desire to roll his eyes at her pettiness. “Yes, my dear, I do remember that day. My concern grew by the hour until the owl finally arrived letting me know it was a prank of your cousins that kept you from sending your daily note.”

Rodolphus hid his expression by taking a long pull from his tankard. His eyes met Bella’s as they silently shared a joke at Narcissa’s expense.

OoO

Sirius and Regulus pulled the girls to the bar for a round of butterbeers and a quick discussion of tactics before moving to the dartboards.

Morag leaned toward her sister and said quietly, “You know, I am truly coming to care for Regulus, but that Lucius Malfoy is a very handsome man.”

Maeve glanced over her shoulder at the white haired man and felt a chill creep down her spine; “They also say that Lucifer was the Fairest of the Fallen, now don’t they?”

Morag remembered meeting Lucius in the woods just outside Black Moor Manor, and how he had frightened her and nodded in agreement, although she couldn’t help adding, “Just because you’re on a diet doesn’t mean you can’t look in Honeydukes window!”

“True enough, sister!” laughed Maeve.

OoO

“Ready to lose some of your hard earned galleons, Lucius?” Sirius taunted as he, Regulus and the girls joined the older couples at the table.

“As ready as you are of returning those galleons to me,” came the cool reply.

“I say, let’s get to it,” Reggie said smoothly, pulling a slim case from a hidden pocket in his robes.

A bark of laughter escaped Sirius when he recognized the case. “Nicked Father’s darts, did you? You’d best hope his cronies don’t show up for brandies and a game or two.”

“No worries, brother. You know that set Fudge had that Father coveted for so long? The set he claimed Anne Boleyn presented to Henry VIII?”

“Finally beat them out of old Corny Fudge, huh?” Sirius chuckled. “You don’t really believe they once belonged to a king?”

“You never know, there were stories she was a witch that snared old Henry with Black Magic. You should have seen it! Corny turned nearly as green as that stupid bowler he always wears when he had to hand them over!” Reggie snickered.

“If your amusement at the hands of our next Minister of Magic is over,” Rodolphus drawled, “shall we begin? Closest to the bull’s-eye goes first.”

They each took their shot with Lucius’ dart landing just outside the bulls-eye in the 20 wedge. He smirked at Narcissa’s squeal of approval. “I believe the first shot is mine.” He offered his hand to Sirius, as tradition demanded. They shook hands all around before Lucius stepped up to the oche.

He took his turn, rapidly landing three 15’s in succession.

“Let’s hope you have inherited some of Father’s talent,” Sirius muttered, indicating Regulus to go first.

Reggie winked at Morag before stepping up to the oche. He stepped up to the mark, hitting double 18, and two 4’s.

“Bad luck, Regulus,” Rodolphus condescended as he took his place.

Reggie stiffened a bit, but forced himself to smile and relax. “It’s early yet.”

Rudolphus landed two 20’s and an 18. “I do hope you’re better than your brother,” he remarked to Sirius as he gathered the darts from Reggie and stepped to take his shot.

Sirius shrugged. “I’m not too bad.” He turned to the board and threw a triple 16, a triple 19, and a 17. Maeve and Morag shrieked and applauded.

“If I hadn’t been assured that there are anti-cheating charms on the boards I’d suspect you had one of your friends hiding somewhere, giving assistance,” Lucius said in a low voice as he and Sirius exchanged places.

Sirius grinned at Lucius’ frustration. “I have no need to cheat at a simple game such as this.”

“Indeed.” Lucius turned to the board and threw a triple 17, a double 18, and a 20. Narcissa squealed again, nudging Bellatrix to applaud.

Regulus stepped up and threw an 18, a double 20, and a bulls-eye. The encouraging shrieks and clapping from the girls was drawing attention from the rest of the patrons.

The play went quickly from there. Sirius and Reggie won the first game. By the time Rodolphus and Lucius won the second, by just one hit in the bulls-eye, patrons were betting on the two teams.

The play in the third game was tense. The crowd was quiet as each one took their turn, with loud catcalling on misses and wild laughter and applause after each score. Finally, all either team needed was one last bulls-eye. Lucius took his turn, hitting all around the bulls-eye on 11, 4, and 2.

“It’s all on you, brother!” Reggie called out.

Sirius, sitting next to Maeve, leaned over and whispered, “If I win with one throw, do I win a kiss as well as the game?”

Maeve’s cheeks flushed pink, but she smiled happily and nodded.

Sirius swaggered to his mark, took careful aim and hit the bulls-eye square in the middle.

The pub erupted in applause, laughter, and congratulations.

Sirius whooped as he turned toward Maeve, jumping over a chair in his way he pulled her from her chair and kissed her soundly as he swung her in a circle. Reggie, not to be outdone by his brother, snatched Morag from her chair and kissed her thoroughly.

“If you are quite finished with your display,” Lucius drawled, breaking the young couples apart with his icy disdain, “perhaps you would care to go double or nothing?”

“Oh, I don’t think so Lucius,” Sirius replied, mocking Lucius’ tone. “After all, you wouldn’t want to be embarrassed twice in one evening. Now, if you’ll just pay your debt. . .”

Lucius sneered as he pulled a pouch from his pocket and tossed it to the table. “Until next time then.”

“I’ll be ready,” Sirius replied evenly, matching Lucius’ icy gaze with a stormy one of his own. “I’ll always be ready for you.”

“See that you are.”

Sirius chuckled softly as Lucius stalked away. He snatched the pouch from the table and tossed it to Regulus. “What do you say brother? Drinks for the house?”

“They were an excellent audience, weren’t they?”

“Absolutely!”

They pulled the girls back to the bar, Reggie smacked the pouch down on the bar and called out, “Drinks all around!”

Maeve laughed and pulled Sirius down to whisper in his ear, “You really are a legend, aren’t you?”

Happiness filled Sirius to the brim as he pulled her closer, “As long as I’m a legend to you, the rest of the world doesn’t matter.”

“You are definitely a legend to me.” She replied, just before their lips met.

OoOoOoO

A/N: I wish life wasn't so hectic and I had all the time in the world to write of Maeve and Sirius' romantic adventures, but it is, so this is the final chapter, aside from an epilogue. I hope readers have enjoyed the story as much as I've enjoyed their reviews. I'll miss them as much as Sirius!