Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Three - Unexpected Help

The next day, Sirius wandered into the drawing room and stared at the woman seated in one of the dainty, uncomfortable chairs. “Andromeda! What a wonderful surprise!”

“Sirius, I heard you were summering here!” Andromeda greeted, rising to hug him. She’d always been his favorite cousin.

“Summering?” Repeating the word incredulously, he snorted. “Banished here, more like.”

“And what, my dear, did you do to get yourself banished here?” she chided.

“Oh, the usual. Playing pranks on Slytherin purebloods that need to be taken down a notch or two, that kind of thing,” he said offhandedly.

“Yes, I know, and Cissy is here along with Bella, so watch your back,” Andromeda warned.

Sirius was aghast. “Andie, you have to help me! Mother took my wand. How will I defend myself?”

Derisive laughter interrupted them as Bellatrix made herself known from the window seat. “No wand, Sirius? How delightful!” She pulled her wand from her pocket and twirled it idly between her fingers. “Now where to begin?”

Andie drew her own wand and stepped between them. “Nowhere, Bella! You won’t dare to do a thing to Sirius while we are here or Rudy might not like the way you look without those ebony locks.” The menace in her voice was unmistakable.

“Andie, you never were much fun,” complained Bella. “Hasn’t Cissy told you what he did to her this year in school?”

“Like I listen to her caterwauling,” replied Andie dismissively. “You can pass my warning on to her as well. One jinx, one hex, one not so innocent prank, and the two of you will have me to answer to!”

“Never forget, Bella,” Sirius added, “I’ll have my wand back soon, and revenge is a dish best served cold.”

“One day, Sirius Black, one day you won’t have Andie to protect you, and I relish the thought of what I will do to you, you blood traitor!”

“Enough!” Andie snapped. “Sirius, let’s go for a walk, so certain tempers can cool.”

He smirked at his least favorite cousin while exiting the French doors to the garden, enjoying her frustration. Outside, Andie said in the motherly tone she’d apparently gained upon delivery of her daughter, “We are going to have our hands full keeping you out of her and Cissy’s way till we leave.”

“We, is it? Shall I call you the Queen Mum?” He chuckled when she gave him a playful tap on the arm. “You didn’t get a chance to tell me, why are you here? It can’t be for the excitement, there isn’t any,” Sirius said dejectedly, wondering how he was going to manage.

“We’re here for the betrothal, of course,” Andie replied with a grin. “The betrothal which was supposed to have been yours.”

“How is it that everyone knew about this betrothal except Reggie and me?”

“How do you think?” she scoffed, “Your mother of course. She sent the invitations out last month, along with a letter to my mother explaining that for appearances’ sake, my presence must be suffered.” A wry smile crossed her face. “My mother in law has been waiting for a chance to spoil Ted and Nymphadora rotten, and now she’ll have it.” With a sigh, she steered the topic away from her Muggle born husband and the child that would never meet a Black other than him. “The letter also stated why your younger brother was the one to be betrothed to the Stewart girl instead of you, you scoundrel.”

Sirius chuckled. “Well, all in a days work. Better him than me.”

“How do you know? She could be quite the catch!”

“Reggie has already seen her, said she was insipid,” Sirius replied.

“Since when have you and Regulus ever agreed on anything?” Andie asked as they made their way to the gardens.

“Well, never I suppose,” Sirius admitted. “But he has eyes doesn’t he? Surely he can tell if a girl is pretty or not.”

“I think you give him more credit than he deserves,” Andie replied. “I wouldn’t bet he could tell a galleon from a knut.”

A bark of laughter escaped Sirius. “I suppose you're right. I did sort of meet her sister a few days ago and she’s quite lovely.

“Leave it to you to find a pretty girl,” Andie teased. “What did she think of you?”

“Oh, she couldn’t keep her hands off me,” Sirius answered offhandedly.

Andie eyed him closely. “There’s something different about you, what have you done?”

“Whatever do you mean?” Sirius asked.

“I know you better than I know anyone else in this family, including my own sisters. You’ve done something to yourself, there’s a different quality to you. It’s almost predatory in nature.”

Sirius looked around the garden and up at the Manor. He couldn’t see anyone nearby. “Want to know my deepest secret, do you?”

“I’m always good at keeping secrets, aren’t I?” she asked.

He considered telling her about being an Animagus. She’d never betrayed a secret he’d told her before. “You’re right, there is a bit of an animal quality about me these days. Might just be that wolf in sheep’s clothing I’ve always been accused of being before.”

“A wolf?” she asked slightly startled, apparently thinking he referred to his friend that was a werewolf. “You haven’t been bitten, have you?”

“No! Of course not! And be quiet about that!” he urged. “No one at school knows about Remus except the Marauders.” He looked around again; to be sure they were alone.

“Then don’t startle me like that!” she snapped back. “What have you done?”

“Well,” he said in a conspiring whisper as he draped an arm about her shoulders and led her deeper into the garden, “I’m an Animagus.”

“What!”

“It was the only way we could help him through his changes,” Sirius defended.

“Are you going to register?” she asked apprehensively.

“Are you completely nutters?” Sirius exclaimed. “A fifth year, well, almost sixth, registering as an Animagus? We’d get expelled!”

She took a long moment to think it through. “I suppose you're right, I’ll keep your secret.”

Sirius released the breath he’d been holding. “I knew I could count on you.”

She looked around. He knew she was making sure they were hidden from the Manor and no one was near. “Alright then, let’s see it.”

Sirius grinned in a way that melted harder hearts than Andie’s and transformed.

Andie gaped at the huge bear-like black dog standing where her cousin stood just a moment before. “Be careful Sirius, looking like that you could be mistaken for a Grim,” she laughed.

Sirius transformed back. “I’ll stay out of churchyards,” he said, laughing with her. “Unless, of course, Cissy or Bella are around. Could be quite the lark, that!”

Andie shook her head and took his arm to resume their walk. “Don’t even consider it, but do tell me about this girl.”

OoOoO

Once again I want to thank my wonderful friend and beta, Kerichi you are the best!

OoOoO

Please take a moment and tell me what you think, reviews really do inspire!