Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Sirius Dilemma by ElspethBates

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 8 “ Formal Dress Robes

Sirius sprawled on the settee in the drawing room; exasperation and irritation were etched on his face. “Mother, why do we have to be fitted for formal dress robes?”

“They are for the betrothal,” she snapped.

“You told us the ceremony called for plain black robes. Not dress robes,” he replied slowly, trying desperately to keep his temper under control. If he made her too angry she wouldn’t let him out of the manor, and he needed to get back to the Blackwaterfoot Lodge so he and James could figure out a way for him to escape.

“That’s for the ceremony only.” Impatience and scorn dripped from her words. “After the ceremony there will be a dinner and dancing. For that, you both need dress robes.”

From the stool he was standing on as the tailor pinned luxurious black silk robes to the proper length, Regulus smirked at Sirius’ discomfort. “What’s the problem, brother? This shouldn’t take more than a few hours.”

Sirius controlled a wince at the mention of hours spent in his mother’s presence. “It’s bloody boring, brother,” he sneered.

“Regardless of whatever you have planned Sirius, you will be fitted for dress robes, and you will wear them after the ceremony!” His mother seated herself behind the desk. Sorting through stacks of parchment, she found the one she was looking for and held it up. “There will be nearly one hundred guests coming and you will be on your best behavior!”

Sirius glared in her direction. “What makes you think that?”

“The fact that you might want your wand back at some point.”

Sirius growled under his breath. He had no choice. If she returned his wand, he would be able to get back to London.

The tailor cleared his throat nervously, the tension in the room was thick enough to cut with a knife and all he wanted to do was finish fitting these spoiled aristocratic brats and go back to his shop. The fee he was going to receive for this commission was quite large but he felt he was earning every knut. “There you are young man. I believe I’m finished with your robes.”

“You next Sirius,” his mother ordered. “Stand up straight; I don’t want to have to have these robes fitted more than once. The betrothal is only a week away.”

Sirius expelled a huff of irritation. The sooner he started the sooner he would be finished. As the tailor draped the heavy charcoal gray silk into place, he allowed his mind to wander.

Surprisingly, his mind turned not to plotting his escape, but to Maeve. They’d had a delightful afternoon walking through the town after being ejected from the lending library. She was sweet, attractive, and had a lovely laugh.

“If you aren’t from around here, what brings you to Machrie Moor?” she asked.

“Oh, family business among other things.” He chuckled.

“Other things?”

“Well, I managed to get myself into a bit of trouble this year at school, and my mother in her infinite wisdom, decided I needed to spend the better part of my summer here,” he drawled. “I must say, for a punishment, things are looking up.”

Maeve blushed lightly and looked away, as if not knowing quite what to say at this point.

They neared Brodick Old Quay and splashing in the Bay caught Sirius’s attention. “I say, let’s go out on the pier, I believe I see seals out there!”

“Oh yes, they are always fun to watch!” she agreed with a smile.

They picked up their pace a bit to get to the pier. There were seals playing in the water, sunning on the rocks and barking at the people watching them. Sirius and Maeve laughed at the antics of a pair of seals jumping from the rocks into the water and back chasing each other. It was obvious from the tone of their barking they were playing some sort of game.

“They seem so intelligent, don’t you think?” Maeve asked brightly, tucking a wayward curl behind her ear.

“It makes you wonder if there are any Selkies with them,” Sirius replied, trying not to stare at her too much.

“What would you know of Selkies?”

“Oh, I know a lot of things,” he replied enigmatically.

“From all those books you read?”

Sirius leaned against the railing and grinned wryly. “Yes, I suppose I do learn a bit from books.”

“You enjoy reading that much?”

Sirius glanced at her and turned his attention back to the antics of the seals, before replying roguishly, “Some of my favorite memories are from between the covers.”

Maeve squeaked at the double entendre. “You are a scoundrel aren’t you?” She pretended outrage, but the grin lurking at the corners of her mouth gave her away.

Sirius stood straight and placed his hand over his heart, feigning innocence, “How can you say something like that to me madam? I simply told you. . .”

“Oh, don’t play innocent with me my good fellow.” She cut him off from his theatrics. “I am completely aware of what you meant!”

Sirius gaped at her for a moment before a bark of laughter escaped him. “Not so easy to fool, are you?”

“Not for a moment. Now behave before I have to put you in your place!” she teased.

He pretended to ponder her threat. “It just might be worth it to see how you’d go about that!”

Maeve arched an eyebrow and replied daringly, “Trust me, you don’t want to know.”

He laughed again and offered his arm, “Shall we resume our stroll?”

She laid her hand in the crook of his elbow and answered, “Yes, I believe we should.”


“There you go, young man.” The tailor said, breaking into Sirius’s reverie. “All finished. That wasn’t so bad, now was it?”

Sirius looked around the drawling room and realized he was alone with the tailor. “Not bad at all old man, not bad at all!” He allowed the man to help him, carefully, from the robes stuck full of pins.

“I’ll have these finished in no time at all. Please tell your mother I’ll have them delivered by tomorrow afternoon.” The tailor beamed.

“Of course,” Sirius replied, not wanting to take his attitude with his mother out on the poor man. “I’d be happy to.”

Now he could escape and meet up with James!