Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

James and Lily: Hate and Love: Life and Death by immortal_evil

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
During Divination, Professor Zindel randomly mixed Ravenclaws with Gryffindors. James had the misfortune of being paired up with Amos Diggory. But that didn’t dampen his feelings very much.

James was actually quite content because Lily was angry with Diggory. His feelings must have shown because Diggory snarled, “What are you so pleased about, Potter?” Diggory fidgeted in his seat, as if sitting on something annoying. James grinned wider.

“Wow, you still haven’t gotten that tail off, have you?”

“Shut up, Potter.” Diggory looked away and stared at the front of the room.

“All right, children!” came the quiet voice of Professor Zindel. Professor Zindel had minuscule glasses and straight, white hair that she kept up in a huge, loose bun. He skin was all wrinkled and she was shorter than James. Peach and sand colored cloths fell from her shoulders to her feet and a lavender silk scarf hung around her neck. Professor Zindel reminded James of an old duck, the way she waddled across the room, and a mouse by her nose and size.

“Today, we will do an advanced and… painful way of seeing the future, regardless that it’s the second day of school! This will tell you what gruesome events are to pass in you life. The only twist with this is that you must use your own blood if you wish to pass this lesson. Now… on all you tables, there are little knives. You may jab yourself on the finger with it and then let a drop of blood land on your crystal ball. Then, the ball will reveal your future. Take notes. A simple reminder: the more blood you draw, the more your future will tell. You may start.”

Silence…

James was positive that everyone thought that the little, old woman had gone senile over the summer heat and being cooped up too long in the tower. They were supposed to cut themselves up? He had already fell headfirst onto the platform, injured his shoulder from slipping on ice, been attacked by a dementor, and tonight was full moon! James felt as if he were going to die before winter break. He smacked his forehead against the table.

Professor Zindel looked around. “What is everyone looking at me for?” Then she waddled back to her small circular desk and began drinking her tea and reading her tea leaves.

The quietness was broken by everyone murmuring under his or her breath and discussing where he or she was going to poke them.

“So Potter… are you brave enough to slice yourself open?” Amos smirked. “Or are you too vain?”

James grabbed the pocketknife from the table and flipped it open. “You know, Diggory, I’m surprised that you weren’t placed in Slytherin.”

“I’m surprised that you were even accepted to Hogwarts at all.”

“I was placed in Gryffindor for being brave. As I’m about to show you.” James let the blade touch the underside of his wrist. Then, he slowly dragged it across the bottom of his wrist. Diggory twitched.

“Alas… blood! The blood of a Gryffindor!” James cried dramatically. He waved his bleeding arm in front of Diggory, who almost fell off his seat.

“Wonderful! 10 points to Gryffindor, Mr. Potter!” Everyone turned to watch James smear his blood on top of his crystal ball. Girls groaned and looked in the opposite direction while the boys started cutting themselves up to impress everyone else.

“You think you’re so great, Potter. No wonder I didn’t miss your head the night back. It’s so big!”

James tried to keep cool, but he pointed his wand at Diggory and whispered, “I can give you big, buck teeth… or maybe cute, puffy paws… or just a detention.”

Just then, a little paper owl no bigger then James’ fist landed in front of him. James picked it up and unfolded it. Inside, someone had scrawled: Watch it, Prongs. Evans is watching you and she’s not happy with your behavior. “Sirius

He looked at Lily who turned away and pricked her finger, ignoring him.

James wrote back: I’m not doing anything! It’s Diggory! -James

As soon as James’ hand lifted from the paper, it folded itself back up into the tiny owl. It then fluttered across the room to Sirius, where he was paired up with Peter. James took another quick glance at Lily and he pocketed his wand.
~
Remus slowly lifted the knife and poked his arm. He then let two drops of blood fall onto the crystal ball. He and Julianne peered into the ball. They had been paired together. (A/N: How random…)

A few seconds passed, but nothing happened. Julianne sighed and rested her head on the table, impatiently, and then sat back up.

“They shouldn’t force us to take Divination,” she said. “We should choose what classes we should take. Not everyone has an ‘Inner Eye.’”

“Yeah…” But Remus was seeing something. A faint silvery glow was shining. He knew that shine all too well. In fact, he would be seeing it tonight.

“So… do you have anything planned?” Julianne asked randomly.

“W-what?” Remus was startled.

Julianne realized her mistake and quickly covered up. “I-I meant any pranks with you and the Marauders.”

“Oh… um, actually we were planning one over the summer but James was made Head Boy so we had to quit it.”

“What was it?”

“I can’t tell you.”

Suddenly, an owl made of parchment zoomed on top of Remus’ head and bounced into his hands.

Remus glared back at Sirius, who only gave him thumbs up, but then unfolded the miniature owl: Stop flirting already and ask her out!

Remus swallowed.

“What is that?” he heard Julianne ask.

“Nothing. Just a note that Sirius sent to me.” Remus crumpled up the parchment and chucked it at Sirius’ head. It hit him smack-dab in the center of the forehead.

Sirius stared, aghast, at his ruined owl-masterpiece.

Remus turned back to the bloodstained crystal ball. He stole a look at Julianne and got lost in thought… her long brown hair… her light brown eyes… even when she looked bored, Julianne was interesting in his eyes.

“Well, well. What do we have here?” Both Julianne and Remus were pulled out of their reveres and stared at the mousy/ducky Professor Zindel.

“Er…”

“What do you see in the ball?”

“Oh, may I try?” Julianne asked.

“Of course!” Julianne took the knife and cut her finger. Drops of blood dripped on the crystal ball.

“I see… Hogsmeade!”

“Well, there is a Hogsmeade visit the next weekend!” Professor Zindel noted, “What else?”

“Well… I see two views of Hogsmeade. One has me all alone while the other has me with someone else.”

“Who, my dear?”

“Well… that’s the thing. He hasn’t asked me yet. I’ve been waiting for him for a long time now, but nothing has come.”

“Interesting… good job, Julianne.” Then she waddled over to two other Ravenclaws.

Remus suddenly felt all bubbly and nervous inside. He felt like chucking more owls at Sirius. Was she talking about him?!?

“Julianne?”

“Yes?”

“Well, Sirius, James, and Peter wanted to go to some joke shops in Hogsmeade, so I’d be all alone… maybe you’d like to come with me?”

“Oh, yeah, sure. I’d love too!”