Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

James and Lily: Hate and Love: Life and Death by immortal_evil

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer- I do NOT own Harry Potter. Don't make matters worse for me!
____________________________________________________________
How much further do I have to go?
How much longer until I finally know? (finally know)
'cause I am looking and I just can't see what's in front of me
in front of me

Hoobastank- Crawling in the Dark


“Lily?” James asked, turning on his heal. “Lily!” He began to run. Students opened their door to see what was going on but James, ruthlessly, shoved them back and yelled, “Stay inside!”

He continued to run, faster and faster, occasionally pausing to barricade curious students into compartments, even if he wasn’t sure if they belonged there. All on his mind was Lily.

He slipped on some ice and fell hard on his chest. Terrible pain filled his forehead again.

It was so dark now. Suddenly, the screaming stopped. He felt around and found a wand. Not caring whose it was, he stood up.

“LUMOS MAXIMUS!” he hollered. A massive ball of bright light erupted from the end of his wand and he stood, transfixed, at the scene before his eyes.

Lily was spread, like an eagle, on the floor, her face white as the ice, wand in her hand, and eyes as empty as a cookie jar once placed in front of Sirius. A dementor was leaning over her.

The dementor shrank back, momentarily, blinded by the light.

James was in shock. But he regained his mind. “C’mon dementor,” James growled, “Follow the pretty light.” He made the ball of light a bit smaller and he waved it around. As he looked at the wand, he realized it was his wand. When he looked back at the dementor had returned over Lily, it was completely ignoring James.

“Hey! Over here, you great big, evil… thing!” The dementor looked up and hissed. It abandoned Lily and made for James, its rattling breath and the cracking of ice underneath James’s feet were the only sound.

James close his eyes and focused his entire mind on Lily smiling at him, like she had done a few minutes earlier…

The dementor was a few feet away. James’s eyes snapped open and he bellowed, “EXPECTO PATRONUM!”

Much to James’ surprise, and the demetors’s, an actual patronus flew out of his wand. A stag. Before, only a river of silver light came out.

The stag reared, threw James onto its back, and charged at the hooded creature. The dementor glided back, but the stag caught it in its antlers and pinned it to the ground.

The dementor screeched. The patronus reared again, the dementor still in its clutches.

James caught sight of three second-years and two first-years watching him through the glass of their compartment, and he waved to them, arrogantly.

The students just continued stared at him, their faces pressed against the glass, mouths dropped open.

The patronus used its hind legs and it kicked a window apart. Then, it tossed its head and the dementor ended up falling out of the train and down the bridge. James waved his wand and in a flash the window had repaired itself.

James dismounted his patronus and knelt down next to Lily.

“Lily, please don’t be dead… please… wake up!” James whispered. He was shaking.

“Is your girlfriend dead?” a cute, innocent voice asked. James turned, eyes red with tears, and saw a little boy first-year staring at him. James wiped his eyes, reminding himself that head-boys do NOT cry in front of adorable first-years, especially him.

“She not dead!” he yelled. He then added, “And she’s not my girlfriend!”

The little boy took a step back. Behind him was a first-year girl. She was staring in awe at the stag.

“My dad has one of those, only it’s a elephant,” she said, vaguely. Then the stag dissolved into mist, after doing one last show-offy prance in front of the girl.

The first-year boy, shaking like James, questioned, “Does this happen often?”

“No.”

James looked in front of him and realized that a rather large crowd had gathered in front of him.

“Oh no…” James prayed. Fortunately the train began to move again and the lights flickered on, so everyone was momentarily distracted. He picked up Lily and made is way through the crowd. “Make way, make way,” James ordered.

“What wrong with her?”

“She going to throw up all over you if you don’t move aside!”

“Oh…”

A cubicle door slid open and Sirius wandered to into the crowd.

“Sirius!” James called out desperately, “Sirius!”

“James! You’re O.K.!” James ran into the room and slammed the door shut, but not before Sirius was able to leap into the room.

Remus cast a spell over the door and windows so that so one could eavesdrop or spy on them. James flopped Lily on the seat.

“What did you do to her, James?” Peter asked.

“Boy, you must have been mad…” Sirius remarked. “Hey! You got your wand back!”

“Send a letter to Professor Dumbledore, quick!” James commanded.

“Saying what, exactly?” Sirius inquired, “That you just killed Lily Evans?”

“Oh, I’ll do it…” James growled. He grabbed a piece of parchment and a quill dipped in ink, and began to scribble furiously about the events that had just occurred. His friends were reading over his shoulder.

When he finished, he asked, “Does anyone have an owl?”

“Oh! I do!” Peter squealed excitably. He scrambled over to his trunk and pulled out his owl.

The owl looked in pretty bad condition. It had lost most of its feathers and it seemed to begin eating itself. One eye was a different color than the other and its beak was chipped in various places. It had talons that were sharp and hooked.

“You call that an owl?” Sirius demanded. “It looks more like Remus after full moon.” Sirius began to laugh, but he fell silent instantly, after seeing Remus glaring at him.

James felt very uncertain about sending an urgent letter with that creature, but it had to be done.

The owl swooped down clumsily, snatched the letter out of James’s hand and flew in front of the window. Remus opened it and the owl flew into the rainy night.

James turned away. “Take care of Lily. I have to tell the prefects what to do at Hogwarts.”