Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chance by WebSpinner

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This semester has been so hectic so I apologize for the wait between chapters. i write when i have free time and it's not very often. But this is my stress relief so I welcome it with open arms. Hope you all continue to read and enjoy!
Chapter Seven: Civil?

The next week passed pretty uneventfully. Hermione stayed on the wizard side of the store. She expected every day for Malfoy to come barging in to interrogate her but he never did. She also avoided going out much because she didn’t feel like having a confrontation with him. But as the week progressed her curiosity was starting to get the best of her.

On Friday morning Hermione went down to work and was about to step into the wizard side when Mr. Bontecou stopped her.

“Hermione, I need you to work in the Muggle store. We got in a huge shipment of books that need to be stocked and that new boy doesn’t work near as fast yet. He’ll need your help.” And with that he turned around and went back to work.

A slight grimace crept across Hermione’s face as she groaned inwardly. Today was the day when it would all come out, she was sure of it. Hermione braced herself and walked into the store.

She didn’t Malfoy anywhere at first and immediately got to work in pricing and stocking the books. Mr. Bontecou was right in saying there was a huge shipment. Hermione saw about ten boxes out in the store but also knew that there were more in the stock room that had to be put out.

Hermione checked her watch; Malfoy should’ve been at work ten minutes ago. “Just like at school,” Hermione said out loud. “Always fashionably late.”

“Well I’m glad you think I’m fashionable, Granger.” Hermione turned around and saw that he was standing right behind her. She wasn’t really in the mood to argue or talk at all.

“Will you just get to work, Malfoy? I’m here because you work slowly and there’s a lot to do.”

“I’ll get to work if you stop calling me Malfoy.” He had a hard, but seriously look on his face and the usual sarcasm wasn’t in his voice.

“And what, pray tell, shall I call you then? I can think of a few that all involve little rodents.” Hermione was starting to get irritated that he still hadn’t started to stock books so she was trying her best to irritate him back.

“My name is George Westerfield so call me by my name.” Malfoy was really started to look angry and a little anxious that Hermione wasn’t cooperating.

Hermione was starting to have a little fun so she decided to see if she could press him further. “But that’s not your real name.”

Malfoy slammed his fist on one of the stacks of boxes. “Yes, Granger, it is.” His voice was a forced calm but Hermione smiled inwardly at finally getting an emotionally response out of him. Malfoy clenched his fists in an attempt to calm himself down. He breathed in deeply for a second and as he forcefully exhaled he said one word that Hermione had never heard him utter before. “Please.”

He kept his eyes closed tightly as he said this as if he anticipated the smile that spread across Hermione’s features. It seemed like it pained him so much to say just one tiny word but Hermione felt so much satisfaction from hearing it.

“Sure thing,” she paused and dramatically finished, “George.” And with that she picked up a box and went to the other side of the store to stack books away from Malfoy.

The hours ticked by and Hermione looked up just as Mrs. Bontecou and Malfoy walked towards her. “Hermione I think you and George should go ahead and take a lunch break together. About an hour should be fine and then you two can come back to work.”

Hermione and Malfoy both flashed each other looks but didn’t say a thing. Instead they both nodded and filed out of the store.

Hermione got outside first and took a left to distance herself from Malfoy but his footsteps soon caught up to her. She didn’t look at him and after a few silent minutes he spoke up. “So where are we going?”

“We? What do you mean ‘we’?” She eyed him suspiciously.

“I already told you I want some answers, Granger. This seems to be the perfect time to get them.”

Hermione mulled this over. She knew it was coming and figured she might as well get it over with; she couldn’t avoid him forever anymore. “Fine, but that means I get answers to my questions too.”

Malfoy nodded slightly and they made their way to a small deli where they could have some privacy from being over heard.

After ordering some sandwiches and drinks they both sat a little awkwardly; they each waited for the other to start. It was Malfoy who again broke the silence.

He seemed to steel himself up for it but he finally started, “Tell me about my father.”

Hermione was taking a sip when he stated this and choked slightly. After a small coughing fit she regained her composure. “Well,” she started, not sure how to say it, “he…um… Well he died in Azkaban…from madness.”

There was a moment’s pause in which Malfoy processed the information. His face didn’t betray any emotions he was feeling. Hermione wasn’t sure if she should say something.

“And my mother?”

“The papers said she died from grief. It happened a year before your father died. They’re both buried at Malfoy Manor.”

“That was expected.” Malfoy paused again, this time a look of sadness swept through his eyes as he stared down at his food, but the look was quickly gone.

Hermione decided to try and fit in one of her questions now. “The papers also said that you inherited the property.”

Malfoy waved it away. “I know but I haven’t been there in years.”

“They didn’t mention where you were or what happened to you.” Hermione decided to go out on a limb. “A lot of people thought you were dead.”

“I might as well be,” he muttered to himself but Hermione caught every word.

“Where did you go?” she practically whispered to him.

Malfoy looked up and stared into her dark eyes; he seemed to be sizing her up. “Do you know what happened up in the Tower that night?”

Hermione sat up straighter; this was it, this was what she had been waiting for so many years for. “I know what Harry told me and what I read in the papers. You were supposed to kill Dumbledore but you didn’t, Snape did. Harry chased the both of you out to the gates where you guys Apparated.”

“Do you know what happened after that?”

Hermione was a little confused; she wasn’t sure what he meant. “The papers never mentioned what happened to you. We all assumed you rejoined Voldemort.” Hermione’s voice shook slightly as she said the name but she wasn’t as scared as she used to be.

“Well you know what happens when you assume,” Malfoy started. “And you’re wrong; you did read about me in the papers.”

“I would remember your name being the papers, Mal “ George.” Malfoy nodded in approval that Hermione had corrected herself.

“I was the anonymous tip.” Malfoy took a deep breath and leaned back in his chair. “Up on the tower Dumbledore offered me protection if I came over to his side. I knew I wasn’t really cut out for killing people. I always thought I was.” He smirked at the thought.

“That’s why I couldn’t do it. I started to really think about taking his help but then the other Death Eaters came up and I couldn’t turn right in front of them. That would mean instant death. And when Snape came I knew there was no escape up there.”

Hermione was on the edge of her seat. This was the most information she had received about that night and she was hanging on every word. She had even forgotten that she was sitting across from her childhood enemy.

“When we arrived outside of the gates and Apparated away, we were all supposed to go to a designated spot to meet up. If someone didn’t show up, it was assumed they were dead or captured. I took my chance and instead, I Apparated to Ministry of Magic.”

At this admission, Hermione gasped aloud. She had no idea this had happened and suddenly she had to reevaluate the person sitting in front of her.

“Wow” was all she could get out. The gears in her head were turning as she processed all of the information she had just received. It also struck her as odd that they were having such a civil conversation; this had never happened before and she wasn’t sure how to take it.

It seemed that the same revelation struck Malfoy at the same time. He cleared his throat and stood up abruptly. He opened his wallet and let a few bills drop to the table to cover their tab. “I guess it’s time to get back to work.”

Hermione sat there for a second, “But I have more questions.”

The smirk crept back on his face. “You made me wait, and now it’s my turn to make you wait.” He strode out the door and headed back to work.

Hermione huffed and followed after but by the time she got to the shop he was already working on a new box. Rather than keep him from actually working Hermione decided to go ahead and wait. She had a lot to think about and wanted to get the most out of him the next time they talked.