Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chance by WebSpinner

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry this took so long to update. I actually had the chapter almost finished for ages but I just lost track of my storyline. But it's okay. I got it up and running again so hopefully I'll start updating more frequently. I hope you and enjoy and if you have the chance, let me know what you think! Thanks!
Chapter 8 - Unexpected Exchanges
After their discussion at lunch, there seemed to be an understanding between the two. Hermione didn’t press Malfoy for information because she knew deep down that it would come out eventually. Hermione figured that she was about the only acquaintance that he had. She had so many questions for him but decided to be patient and let them come out in their own time.
But one piece of information stood out to Hermione the most: his new name. Why did he have it? She had a feeling that the answer was something quite obvious but couldn’t put her finger on it.
A few days went by with Hermione working in the wizard store. The Bontecous didn’t know that Malfoy was a wizard so he stayed in the Muggle half. Hermione found this quite ironic and often chuckled to herself at the thought. She also wondered if Malfoy had come to the same realization.
It was this thought that made all the pieces click together in her mind. A huge smile crept on Hermione’s face as she realized why he had a different name. Hermione immediately dropped the book she was trying to put away and ran into the Muggle store.
“George!” she yelled, trying to find Malfoy. “George!”
She rounded a corner and saw him stooped over a box with an annoyed look on his face. “What do you want, Granger?”
“I figured it out!” Hermione was practically jumping up and down, a little reminiscent of her school days.
“Congratulations,” he drawled and continued stocking books without looking at her.
Hermione felt a pang of annoyance herself at his disregard of her. “I know why you have a different name…” At that Malfoy moved swiftly and immediately covered Hermione’s mouth before she could utter another word. His eyes darted around the store before resting on Hermione’s confused face.
“Would you keep your bloody mouth shut?” he whispered dangerously. He slowly removed his hand from her mouth but gave her a piercing look that said he would do anything to silence her if she said the wrong thing.
Hermione hesitated for a second before she replied, “We need to talk.”
“I realize this,” Malfoy smirked. “But not here. We need to go somewhere private and secure.”
“Well,” Hermione started. She figured they could go up to her apartment but her old prejudices die hard and she was having a hard time letting hers go. She shifted around a bit before she continued, “I guess we can go up to my flat.”
Malfoy took a glance towards the back room and frowned. “I can’t.”
“Why…” Hermione started but stopped when Malfoy shook his head.
He seemed to be struggling with his decision too. Finally he said with a pained expression on his face, “My flat. Tonight at 8:00. I’ll give you directions.”
Malfoy wrote them out on a piece of paper quickly and handed it over to Hermione. She looked over the paper and knew she could find the place. When Hermione turned to go back to work, Malfoy grabbed her arm and she turned around.
“Don’t lose that,” was all he said as he let go and went back to his own business. Hermione wasn’t sure why he was acting this way but she knew it would come out tonight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At 7:30, Hermione decided to head out. She wanted to make sure she could find the place and didn’t want to show up late. However, the directions were easy enough to follow and Hermione found herself staring up a decrepit apartment building, wondering if maybe she had read them wrong.
She reread the address scribbled at the bottom and decided she hadn’t made an error. She walked in the front door and went up a couple of flights of stairs to apartment 306. She hesitated before she knocked on the door, not sure of what would be on the other side.
As soon as she knocked, she heard a bit of grumbling on the other side and then the metal clicking of about four dead-bolts being unlocked and the rattle of a chain being unhooked. After all of this ceremony, the door opened a crack and Hermione could see a sliver of Malfoy’s annoyed face. But as soon as he noticed who it was his face softened a bit and he opened the door wider to allow her entrance.
Once inside, Malfoy locked up the door again and turned to face Hermione who was quickly surveying her surroundings.
It didn’t take long to see everything in the apartment. Like her flat, his was one big room with only the bathroom blocked off. However, his flat was about one-fourth the size of hers and much dirtier. To her right was a couch with pillows and blankets stacked next to it which gave the impression that it had a fold out bed. There were also two ragged chairs across from the couch to give it the appearance of a living room.
The kitchen had a gas stove, a little refrigerator, and a sink which Hermione would find out produced brown water. The cabinets were very worn and some of them didn’t have doors on them.
The bathroom was equally small with a simple sink, toilet, and shower only. Hermione thought she saw bugs running around the base boards but dismissed the idea so she wouldn’t scream and try to run away.
“Home sweet Home,” Malfoy said sarcastically. The smirk on his face proved his disgust for his living quarters but also betrayed his arrogance that he deserved more. “Have a seat.”
Hermione hesitated before she picked her way carefully to the couch and sat down cautiously.
“It’s not going to bite.” Malfoy walked into the kitchen where he grabbed a couple of glasses. “Would you like something to drink?”
“Water would be nice,” Hermione said as she still stared warily around her, wondering how Malfoy was reduced to this life.
Malfoy returned to the living room and handed her the glass of water with a smirk. Hermione almost drank it until she looked down and noticed the muddy colored liquid. “Ugh! That’s gross!” she said before she could stop herself. She quickly remembered not to insult him and stuttered out an apology. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean…It’s just…I’m fine, thanks.”
“It’s alright,” Malfoy chuckled, as he took the glass and handed her a bottle of butterbeer instead. “I don’t drink that stuff either without boiling it. I just wanted to see your reaction.”
Hermione started to blush but gratefully accepted the butterbeer. There was an awkward silence while they both took sips of their drinks and stared around aimlessly.
“You must love this,” Malfoy said suddenly, a dark look in his eye.
“Love what?” Hermione wasn’t sure what she did to entice this emotion from him.
“Seeing me like this. Reduced to living in a filthy flat among Muggles, having a job, coming to you for help.”
“I don’t enjoy seeing you like this!” Hermione practically shouted. She didn’t know what brought this on but it made her angry for him to say these things. “Granted I did think you were always too arrogant for your own good, but I wouldn’t wish this upon you.”
There was another awkward pause in which Malfoy tried hard not to look at Hermione. Hermione felt very uncomfortable but eventually ventured to start the conversation again.
“This is a far cry from the Malfoy Manor though, isn’t it?” she said meekly. “I mean I’ve never actually seen it before but I’ve heard about it. But I promise,” her voice started to gain a little strength, “that I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.”
“I’m sorry,” Malfoy said equally meekly. “I’ve never had any one over and I wasn’t sure what you were thinking.”
“Since when did you start caring what a Mudblood like me thought?”
“Don’t call yourself that.” Malfoy was almost pleading with her. “I’ve made mistakes and I’m trying to change.”
The pair drifted into yet another silence, yet this one was not as uncomfortable as the previous ones. Each one was reevaluating the other. They each realized that the other was not who they thought they had been. They both had changed and they both knew that war changed everything.
“Speaking of change,” Hermione ventured again, but this time distinctly more lighthearted, “I know why you have a new name.”
“Oh yeah, why?” Malfoy picked up on the game and gave Hermione a genuine grin instead of the usual smirk.
“You’re in some kind of witness protection program, aren’t you? Just like the Muggles have.” Hermione was smiling broadly; sometimes she surprised herself with her own brilliance.
“You really are the smartest witch.” It wasn’t a question. “The answer is, yes, I am. After I went to the Ministry to turn myself in, they immediately shipped me off into hiding to keep me from the Death Eaters. I haven’t been in England since, and I haven’t seen anyone I know, until you, of course.”
He said this last part with a pleading look. Hermione wasn’t really sure where to go from here. He seemed so desperate but Hermione wasn’t sure what he was desperate for.
“So is that why you’ve been living with Muggles?” Hermione ventured.
Malfoy sighed heavily like it was such a burden to him. “Yes. Anyone would notice the Malfoy good looks in the wizarding world after all.” He had hitched his smirk back onto his face and leered at Hermione.
“Well, I guess some things never change,” she huffed, slightly annoyed at his vanity.
“And why would you want them to? I mean, I am pretty handsome and why would you want to change this beautiful face?” His smirk had widened into a full out grin that when Hermione paid attention, actually did make him look pretty nice.
“You’re impossible!”
“Impossibly good looking?”
All Hermione could do was shoot daggers out her eyes but then picked up a ratty pillow and threw it at Malfoy’s face. When it smacked him, it let out a big puff of dust that started him coughing and sneezing. It also caused Hermione to fall in a fit of laughter at his situation.
“Think that’s funny do you?” And with that Malfoy picked up his nearest pillow and threw it in Hermione’s face. But since she was so overwhelemed with the giggles she didn’t have enough to stop it before it sent out a cloud of dust and started her sneezing and coughing.
Pretty soon, the living room turned into a battle field of flying pillows and dust. Hermione and Malfoy were both laughing so hard that they were crying which didn’t help the sneezing at all.
Their battle continued for a good ten minutes before it was interrupted by a sharp knock at the door. Both got immediately quiet and stared at the door for a second. The knock came again and Malfoy went to the door and started undoing all of his dead bolts. He eased the door open to check who it was.
Hermione guessed that whoever it was, was a friend because Malfoy opened the door a little wider and she was able to get a glance. Although the sight that met her eyes was not one that she was expecting and her mouth gaped open.