Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The New Girl by loonyluna22

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do not own anything (characters, story, ect.) of J.K. Rowling’s.
__________________________________________________________________

Harry Potter was dreamily looking out the window, excited for his new year at Hogwarts, his sixth. He watched the puffs of smoke coming up from the train, the Hogwarts Express. He was sitting by his best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

"Harry! Come on, don't conk out on us now! The train hasn't even left yet," Ron said to Harry, playfully pushing him.

Harry yawned, "Sorry, I'm tired. We had to wake up pretty early, you know."

Harry and Hermione stayed and Ron's house, the Burrow, for half of last summer. He usually had to stay at his aunt's house, the Dursleys', which he dreaded. They were Muggles, and the most horrible ones.

"I wonder where Neville, Ginny, and Luna are," Hermione said, looking out of the compartment window into the hallway,"Hmm... I guess they couldn't find us. Might just be us this time."

Harry and Ron grunted in response. They were getting out a game of exploding snap. Harry yawned and stretched out in his seat, as Ron made the first move. Harry was so glad to be going back to Hogwarts, the place he loved more than anywhere. Suddenly, there was a knock on the compartment door.

"Maybe that’s the others," Ron said, looking at the door.

But instead, in came a girl they had never seen before. She had straight, blonde hair up in a rather messy ponytail. She was wearing a light blue T-shirt and jeans. Along with her bags, she had a guitar in a case swung over her shoulder. 'Wow, she's pretty' Harry thought. She smiled and took a few steps inside.

"Hi, my name's Jen- well Jennifer, but I prefer Jen," she smiled, then continued, "I’m new to Hogwarts. Can I sit with you? I can't find anywhere else," she said, looking at them. She had an American accent.

"Yes, of course. My name is Hermione, and this is Ron and Harry," Hermione said pointing at Ron and Harry.

Jen came in and sat down next to Hermione. She sat her guitar down and started to put her things up in the compartment. As she was doing this, she dropped a bag.

"Oh!" She exclaimed. But right then Harry ran over and caught it, then gave it to her, "Thank you," she said smiling.

"N-no problem," Harry said looking at her intently.

"Not to be rude or anything, but... why do you have an American accent?" Ron said when Harry sat back down. He smirked at Harry.

"That's because I moved here from America. You might have noticed I’m a little old to be a first year. I used to go to a school of witchcraft and wizardry in America. My mom always wanted to live in London. It was her dream. So, last summer we moved here," she said and smiled.

"Wow, it will be very interesting to have someone her from America," Hermione said happily. She looked over at Jen's guitar, "Oh, you play?"

"Oh yes. I have loved the guitar ever since I was seven," Jen said picking up her guitar.

After they changed inter their robes, the rest of the trip they talked. They asked Jen a lot of questions about America and her. She came from a Muggle family, and had lived in Ohio. She has a little sister and an older brother, who are both a witch and wizard too. Their names are Tiara and Joey. Tiara is only seven and won't be going to Hogwarts for three years, and Joey is 23 and is going to get a job at the Ministry. Her father is a Doctor and her mother is a lawyer.

After they talked a little, Hermione went right to her book and read. Harry, Ron, and Jen played the exploding snap Ron and Harry started. After a few minutes, when Jen added a card the stack fell and exploded. Harry thought she still looked beautiful even though her face was back and covered in ash. She looked in the mirror on the other side of the compartment and smiled at her reflection, and they all laughed.

When the train stopped at the station, they got there things and walked to the door. They went outside and walked to the horseless (but not to Harry) carriages.

"What? Why are Thestrals pulling these carriages? They always give me the willies whenever I see them!" Jen exclaimed, cringing at the empty space (again, not to Harry) in front of the carriages.

"You can see them, too?!?" Harry said. He was exasperated that someone else could see the Thestrals, which you could only see if you haven't seen death. Harry looked over at the jet black, bony horses. They were pawing the ground and snorting menacingly, their dark mains whipping around their faces in the wind.

"Yes. My baby brother died a while after he was born, and I was watching him," Jen sighed, still watching the Thestrals. It seemed talking about him was hard for her.

"Oh, I’m sorry," Harry said looking at her sorrowfully.

They climbed into the carriages and sat down. They talked all the way to the castle, and then went inside the Great Hall to sit at the Gryffindor table. Jen had to go up to the stool to get sorted even though she wasn't a first year. Proffesor McGonagall came with the stool and the Sorting Hat and told the students what they had to do. Jen was sorted first since she wasn't a first year. She cautiously walked over to the stool, sat down, and put the Sorting Hat on her head. She closed her eyes as the hat started to mutter about where she should be put.

Finally, he screamed, "GRYFFINDOR!" Jen smiled and ran to sit next to Harry, Ron, and Hermione at the table.

"Somehow, everyone we become friends with always ends up in Gryffindor! Does Dumbledore plan this or something?" Ron said, eyeing Dumbledore suspiciously.

They all laughed, and then became quiet as Dumbledore stood up to make his speech, "Hello and Welcome to a new year and Hogwarts. As my usual announcements are, the Forbidden Forest is forbidden to all students, hence its name. Dungbombs, Filibuster Fireworks, and a very long list of other items are not allowed in the hallways. You can find that list on the bulletin board in your Common Rooms. This year we have a special announcement. A new student named Jennifer has come to our school from America. She is in her sixth year. Jennifer, would you please stand up?" Dumbledore asked.

Jen did as she was told and stood up. Everyone clapped, especially Harry, Ron, and Hermione. When it quieted down Dumbledore finished his yearly announcements and then the food appeared. Everyone started getting their food. When Jen and piled her plate, she turned and smiled at Harry. I think I am going to like the year a lot, Harry thought, smiling to himself.