Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Worth Everything I Had by Auror81692

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Hey! Weren’t you paying attention in my last four stories? I DON’T OWN HARRY POTTER!

Dedication: For Eddie Lichtenhahn, a third grader in my school who died suddenly Monday, February 6, 2006. I never knew him, nor saw him, nor heard of him, but his death shook me like it shook my school, my friends, and everyone who heard of this tragedy. This story's for you, dude!

~*~*~

Ron was staring at the ceiling of his room in Grimmauld Place. His thoughts were upstairs with his best mate, Harry. Ron was wondering how he was doing. Of course, he was probably terrible after they learned that You-Know-Who might be possessing him. A knock on his closed door awoke Ron from his thoughts and brought him back to earth.

“Come in,” Ron said without averting his gaze.

Ginny walked in and slowly sat down on the edge of Ron’s bed. She turned very slowly to face him and said, “Are you worried about him, too?”

Ron didn’t need her to elaborate. “’Course I am, I’m his best mate, aren’t I? I reckon we shouldn’t have listened to the Order’s conversation. Then he’d be down here with us. Come in,” he added, as another knock on the door disturbed the unusual silence of Grimmauld Place.

Fred and George ambled in; they were carrying two bags that jiggled with every step the twins took. They dropped bags in front of Ron and Ginny.

“It’s your Christmas present,” George said, watching Ron and Ginny pick up the bags gingerly.

“We would have given it to you that day, but with dad in St. Mungo’s…” Fred’s voice trailed off.

Ron and Ginny both gasped audibly as they opened the jiggling sacks. It was filled to the brim with shiny, gold Galleons.

“There’s fifty for each of you,” George said.

“Mind, don’t spend it all in one place,” Fred grinned.

“Fred, George,” Ginny said breathlessly.

“Blimey,” said Ron, unable to say anymore.

“It’s no problem,” George said. Mrs. Black’s shrieks suddenly filled the quiet house. “What do you reckon?” he asked his twin.

“I think it’s worth a shot,” Fred responded, and without another word, the twins Disapparated.

Ron and Ginny sat in silence for the next few minute, both lost in their own thoughts. Then, the door burst open, revealing a shivering and snowflake-covered Hermione.

“Hermione!” Ginny squealed and leapt off the bed to greet her friend.

At once, Ron’s stomach instantly became filled with butterflies. He loved Hermione more than he could ever say, but he was too scared of her reaction to tell her.

“Hi, Ron,” Hermione said, and began to walk over toward him. She kissed him quickly on the cheek. Ron felt himself growing hot, and he silently cursed that damn Weasley blush.

“I thought you were skiing with your parents,” Ron said.

“I did for a while, but I decided to come and stay with you lot,” Hermione said, sitting down on Ron’s bed between Ron and Ginny.

“What, did Hermione find something she’s no good at?” Ron sniggered.

“No,” Hermione said defiantly, but blushing a little anyway. “It’s really good. Where’s Harry?” she asked, hastily changing the subject.

They explained about the conversation they overheard in St. Mungo’s and how Harry thought he’s being possessed by Voldemort.

“I’m going to go and try to talk to him,” said Hermione, and without further ado, she left the room.

“So,” Ginny said, turning to face Ron, “what are you getting Hermione for Christmas?”

“I dunno, I didn’t really think about it yet. Maybe a book?” Ron said, shrugging.

Ginny sighed exasperatedly and looked at Ron with pity and annoyance. “Oh, Ron, everyone knows you like her.”

Ron stomach flipped uncomfortably. “They do?”

“It’s so obvious. Why not get her something nice?” Ginny asked.

I don’t know here to get girl stuff,” Ron said ruefully.

“I do, we can go tomorrow, I have to pick up a few things anyway.”

“Okay,” Ron said, as Hermione walked into the room accompanied by Harry.

~*~*~

Ron closed his eyes and tried to get to sleep, but knew it was no use. He kept thinking about what to get Hermione, and if she’d like it or not. He turned on his side to look at the clock. It read five a.m. He groaned and sat up, massaging his temples in an exhausted sort of way. He stood up and walked to the door, careful not to wake Harry up, who was sleeping fitfully. Ron though vaguely of going to the basement kitchen and making a cup of tea; he was surprised, but not at all disappointed, when he saw he wasn’t the only one who couldn’t sleep.

“You couldn’t sleep either?” Hermione asked, and Ron shook his head.

“I was going to make a cup of tea? Do you want a cup?” Ron asked.

“Sure,” Hermione said, smiling the smile that made Ron weak in the knees.

Hermione got the cups ready as Ron watched the kettle. He set Hermione’s cup down right by her fingers. Just as he was about to let go of the handle, she grabbed it. Hermione was holding Ron’s hand. They both blushed and pulled their hands back, saying “Sorry,” at the same time, making them blush even harder.

Ron hastily gulped down his tea, and walked over to look at Mrs. Black’s sleeping portrait. He was trying desperately to calm those damn butterflies in his stomach down. Hermione came over to join him when she was done with her tea. They both stared at the picture, not really looking at it, both lost in their own thoughts. Then, without any warning whatsoever, Mrs. Black, her eyes still closed, said very quietly, “Mudblood.”

Hermione fell over out of shock. Ron spun and caught her around her middle just before she hit the ground. For a moment that lasted forever, they stared deep into each other’s eyes, and the love they held for each other was more obvious than ever, but neither noticed it. Ron awoke from the trance and hastily helped Hermione up. They looked around awkwardly at anything but each other. Ron’s eyes fell upon a sprig of mistletoe hanging just above where they were standing.

“Bloody hell,” Ron said, utterly horrified.

Hermione looked at Ron questioningly, then followed his gaze up to the mistletoe; she began to blush furiously. They again tried to avoid each other’s eyes, but they both looked sideways at each other at the same time. Their gaze became locked as they stared again into each other’s eyes. Then, very slowly, they began to lean forward. Just as their eyes were flickering closed, a small, almost inaudible, “Hem, hem” rang through the room. Ginny was standing on the threshold of the room, smirking slighting, but other then that ignoring what she had just witnessed.

“Everyone’s waking up, and Mum says breakfast will be in a few minutes,” Ginny said.

Hermione mumbled something about leaving her book upstairs and fled the scene.

“So, are you ready to go today?” Ginny asked.

“Yeah,” Ron said. He knew he had to get a great present for Hermione. And he knew it had to be perfect.

~*~*~

(*A/N: So, how’s my first chapter story? Is it good? It is bad? Tell me your opinion by reviewing!*)