Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Is Timeless by ReeMarie LeBeau

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2: Backwards

Hermione laid in her bed. She kept running through her mind what she could do and how she would do it. I can't use the time turner. It's against the rules. She thought to herself. You're allowed to break the rules once in a while. You're not perfect. Said a creepy little voice in the back of her head. Shut up! Hermione yelled to herself.

She sat up in bed as the noon sun shown through the window. As she looked through herself she began to realize that using the time turner would probably be the only way to get a chance at a new life and get her family back.

"Okay." Hermione convinced to herself. "If I'm going to do this I need to find somewhere private, but that's almost impossible in this school. If I'm really going to do this I need somewhere private." She walked out of the dormitory and headed down to the common room.

As always it was full and she decided to leave. She walked around the hallways trying to avoid prefects, ghosts, teachers, anyone that might question her. Around the corner she could here someone coming so she opened the closest door to her. She walked in and placed her back on the door. When she looked around she found it to be the Charms room and it was surprisingly empty. Standing in the empty room, Hermione had a good feeling. "Never thought this room was ever empty." she whispered. She stared down at the time turner that laid on her chest. It glittered in the light for the room was dark and light shown through the only window. She placed the trinket in between her finger. She whispered good bye and good riddance to the world she would no longer know; though for some reason she felt as if she were saying good bye forever. As she began to turn the time turner she heard a squeak of floor wood, but paid it know mind. She began to spin it faster. She didn't know when to stop, but hoped she would when the time was right. It was then she heard the creek again. Turning around she saw the door open and out came Draco Malfoy along with an exhausted and very messy Pansy Parkinson. Her skirt was ruffled and her hair was a mess. Hermione didn't even want to think what was going on. She continued to spin the time turner and tried to sneak into a corner though she did not succeed in her efforts.

"GRANGER!" Hermione looked at Draco. She was shocked at what they could have been doing. Before she could turn and run away Hermione was hit in the chest by one of Draco's spells. It hit her with such force the she flew back and hit the wall. Hermione's vision was blurred. She felt dizzy and then blacked out. What Hermione didn't notice was that she wasn't hit with the full blast of the spell. In fact it was her time turner that took the damage and was now shattered into pieces.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^

A groggy Hermione woke up to a feeling of softness under head and back. She tried to open her eyes and sit up, but a sharp pain hit her head. Automatically she laid back down in bed. Her eyes blinked a few times before they gained focus. The room had a yellow red-ish tint since they sun was setting and was just above the horizon. Hermione knew she must have been out for a long time. A few hours at that. She heard someone coming near, it was Madame Pomfrey. Hermione tried to sit up straight without the feeling of nausea. Madame Promfrey came to the side of her bed and handed her a mug.

"What is it?" asked Hermione.

"It's tea. With a little something to help with the pain. You had quite a bump, but I took care of it."

"Thank you Madame Pomfrey," Hermione paused, "Um--Do you know how I got here?"

"Oh, that Potter boy brought you in. He said he found you in the charms room unconscious and brought you here right away."

Harry brought me here. How did he even know I was there? What about Malfoy? And the time...? Hermione looked down at her chest. Her time turner was gone. That's what she expected. She had to find Harry. She swung her legs over the side of the bed and took a deep breath. Madame Pomfrey was walking away.

"Wait Madam Pomfrey." called Hermione

"Yes dear, what are you doing out of bed?"

"I feel much better that tea did the trick. I just wanted to know if you know where Harry went after he brought me here?"

"Harry?"

"Yes, Harry Potter."

"I think you're mistaken. The only Potter in this school is James Potter." Madame Pomfrey corrected.

"James Potter? I guess I was mistaken."

Madame Pomfrey looked at Hermione awkwardly. "You've had a bad bump to your head. I think you should rest."

"I think your right." Hermione agreed. She walked back to her bed and went under the covers. Staring at the cover Hermione was thinking. She couldn't believe what she just heard. That she was at Hogwarts with James Potter, but that would mean Lily and Sirius were there too. Along with Professor Lupin and that ratfink Peter Pettigrew. Hermione continued to think about actually being stuck in the time of the Marauders.

It had been a few hours since Hermione woke up and found herself back in time. She was still in wonder of she would get herself out of this very sticky situation, but then again was it really that bad? She was reading a copy of her favorite book Hogwarts a History that Madame Pomfrey let her borrow, when she heard the door to the Hospital wing open. A tall boy with messy black hair walked in. He was an exact replica of Harry except without green eyes. She knew right there and then that it was James Potter. He began walking down straight to her bed. She indulged herself in the book. When he finally reached her she slowly set the book down her lap.

"I see that you’re awake." said James cheerfully.

"Yes, I am." Hermione took a deep breath. "And I see that now I can thank my rescuer. Thank you so much for bringing me here.”

"No problem. What is your name?"

"My name is Hermione." she smiled.

"I'm James." There was a silence for a few seconds when James finally asked a question that was on his mind. "If you don't mind me asking, why were you unconscious in the charms classroom." He sat down at the side of her bed.

Oh boy Hermione. How are you going to explain that? "I don't know. I was in the classroom. You see I'm uh--new here. Yeah I'm new and was just wondering around I guess and I just blanked out."

James found her story kind of fishy and interrogated her more. "Then how come you have Gryffindor robes."

How am I going to explain that. Hermione thought to herself. Her head was really starting to hurt. "I was sorted already. During the summer, but there were some transfer issues that needed to be fixed so I only arrived today." She lied.

"Oh okay, so you're a transfer student?"

"Yes."

"From what school?"

Hermione was getting extremely tired of his questioning and very annoyed. She hated lying. "I came from Beauxbaton."

"That's nice, but you don't sound French."

"That's because I'm originally from London, but went to France to live with my aunt. My aunt is British anyway so the French accent never caught on." Hermione hoped that he would leave it be and have that be the end to the conversation.

"Well, I guess I should go. You need your rest." said James beginning to rise from the side of her bed.

"No wait." called Hermione after James. "I need to see Professor Dumbledore. It's extremely important. Can you take me there?"

"Madame Pomfrey will probably want to wring my neck for this, but I'll take you there. Though only if you're well enough."

"I'm fine, it's just Madame Pomfrey who believes I am ill."

Hermione got up out of bed and brushed herself off. "Let's go."

James and Hermione were able to convince Madame Pomfrey that Hermione was feeling alright and that it was an emergency. They walked throughout the halls in nothing but silence. Hermione felt strangely comfortable in James' presence. She thought that since she was in a different time where she didn't know a thing that she would feel odd and uncomfortable, but she was wrong. When they finally reached Dumbledore's office James said the password and the statue of the phoenix turned and a staircase appeared. Hermione stepped on and James said that he would meet her at that spot when she left. She thanked him and continued to rise until it finally stopped and she found herself standing in front of Professor Albus Dumbledore.

Dumbledore's office had not changed in years between now and the time she attended Hogwarts. It had photos of all the previous headmasters who all seemed very noisy to know why she was there. Of course the most beautiful thing in the room was Fawks, Dumbledore's beloved phoenix.

"Professor Dumbledore?" Hermione said cautiously

"Yes. That would be me. I see you need assisting." He said with a voice that will always be wise and guiding.

"Oh Professor, I don't know how to start. I can barley understand myself."

"Why don't you just think for a minute and start from the beginning. Things always seem clearer that way.”

Hermione smiled and sat down. Dumbledore always had a way to make things feel better. She began to tell her story from all that she could remember. From being in the charms classroom to now. When she finished she just sat there with her head down.

"Well Miss Granger you are in a very peculiar predicament. My only question to use is that why would you play with the time turner when you know what could happen. I am sure that the Professor McGonagall in your time would only give such a responsibility to someone she could definitely trust."

"I know Professor, but the thing is I wasn't just playing with it. I knew what I was doing. I wanted to go back in time, but things just went wrong." Tears began to fall from Hermione's eyes. "I'm sorry. I know it's wrong, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I know it's selfish. I just..."

"Do not cry child. Though what you did was wrong, I can see that there are true pains in your heart to justify your reason." She felt better and began to dry her eyes.

"I don't know what to do. How will I get back?"

"Well Miss Granger I really don't know. This situation is not something that happens often. I will however do my best to find a way to get you home."

"You mean I'm stuck here?"

"I'm afraid so, but don't use the word stuck. Think of it as a very useful experience."

"But Professor..."

"Now, I see you have Gryffindor robes so you will be placed in Gryffindor. What year are you in?"

"Seventh, but..."

"Then you shall stay in that year and since you had the time turner I assume you were taking more classes than everyone else."

"Everything except Muggle Studies and Divination, but Profe..."

"Alright then Miss Granger, I think I'll have you drop two classes so that another incident like this doesn't happen again."

Hermione didn't even try to speak; knowing that Dumbledore would interrupt her for the forth time. Dumbledore stood at his desk and walked over to Hermione. He looked at her with eyes that always twinkled like the stars. "Remember Miss Granger; do not let your secret slip. The slightest disruption in time can be traumatic. Also remember that not everything is always clear us what's most unclear is our purpose. Also weren't you the one that wanted to go back?"

Hermione took his words into deep consideration. He was right. She did want to go back and now that she's there she ought to make the best of it. Hermione got up and told him that James was waiting for her downstairs. Dumbledore nodded to her and escorted her personally down the stairs. James was leaning on the wall and looked very bored when he saw Dumbledore emerge with Hermione.

"Hey Hermione, is everything okay now." asked James.

"Yes. Thank you so much for waiting for me." she replied.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Well if that is all. I'm sure that you will take care of our newest student Mr. Potter. She is a transfer from Beauxbaton as you should know and I want her to feel welcome."

"No problem Professor."

"You two may head to your common room since dinner has long since been over."

"No fair, I was hungry too,"huffed Hermione.

"Don't worry about it," said James winking at her.

They began to walk off to the Gryffindor common room when Professor Dumbledore stopped them. "Oh and Mr. Potter, do you best to keep Miss Granger away from Mr. Black," laughed Dumbledore. James also laughed and even though they didn't know it Hermione was laughing in her head for she heard the stories of Sirius the heartbreaker of Hogwarts during his school days.

In the Gryffindor common room students were everywhere, but the most known would have to be the Marauders. There was Remus Lupin, the smart one, playing wizards chess with Peter Pettigrew, the follower. Sirius Black, the ladies man was off in the corner with some girl and his best friend James was no where to be found. James' girlfriend Lily Evans just sat down reading, when Sirius walked over to her after talking to one of the sixth year girls.

"So, Lily where's boy toy James?" Sirius asked.

"How would I know? I'm not his keeper."

"He's been gone since dinner. He said he was going to check on that girl he found. I still find it odd. How do you find a girl unconscious in an empty charms classroom."

"Sirius you need a life other than butting into others."

"I resent that last comment. I do have a life."

"James will come in eventually I mean come on. Maybe he is taking after my example and is trying to study."

"James...study...I don't think so." As if on cue the portrait hole opened and in walked James and Hermione. No one recognized this girl; walking with the prankster. James strolled over to his friends as Hermione walked behind slowly. It was just as she remembered in her own time. Lily then jumped up and her boyfriend a hug and a huge kiss, scaring him.

“Where were you James Potthead?”

"I had to take Hermione here to Dumbledore. She's a new transfer student from Beauxbaton." He moved out of her way and pointed to Hermione. Hermione began to blush and waved hello to everyone. She couldn't believe she was standing there with people who were supposed to be dead and if not dead loyal to Voldermort and if not that, they were working for the order. Of course the first to say hello to her was Sirius Black.

"Bonjour mademoiselle." He said in his best French accent. Hermione giggled.

"Hello." She looked into the eyes of the man who would be framed and sent to Azkaban for twelve years. He looked much happier than in the future and still had an innocent glint in his eyes.

"Don't mind him." Interrupted Lily. "Hi I'm Lily Evans. Don't pay any attention to Sirius. It just boosts his ego." Both girls chuckled. Lily's sounded like such a nice person. Hermione knew they would be good friends. Especially since looking at her or James reminded her of Harry. Everyone wasn't kidding when they said he had his mother’s brilliant green eyes.

"That's Peter Pettigrew." Lily said pointing to a fat little boy with rat like features. Oh how Hermione knew him well. She despised him, but she knew she could not let her emotions shine through. Peter was emerged in chess game so she merely said hello, which was all she would say to the traitor.

"And that's Remus Lupin." Hermione had already knew who it was. It was the last marauder she had been introduced too. He also had the same look of concentration when doing something important.

"Ah ha! Check and mate." Yelled Remus as he finished of Peter's wizarding chess pieces. Remus got up and turned around to be facing Hermione. He had been so indulged in his game that he didn't notice her. Hermione looked into pale blue eyes that were so unlike the ones she was used to. In his younger years, Remus was happy and had friends. He also had very hansom face which years of sorrow would eventually take away. She smiled and held out her hand. "I'm Hermione Granger."

“And I’m Remus Lupin.” He shuck her hand and smiled. It was something that Hermione hadn't seen in a long time.

"It nice to meet you." They replied in unison. They chuckled.

"I hope you enjoy your time at Hogwarts and I'm a Prefect so if you ever need anything I'll help you."

"Thanks."

There was a short silence before Sirius spoke. "So since you’re new here I guess you don't know about the troublemakers in this school?" grinned Sirius.

"Oh trust my I know who they are. Lets just say I was warned ahead of time," answered Hermione winking at Sirius. He smirked back at her.

“So Hermione” began Lily, “where are your clothes? I didn't see a new trunk arrive and there is a free bed in my dorm.

"I think something happened while it as being transported," Hermione paused. Come on Hermione think "you see my dad likes to try out new things and then they usually go wrong."

"Oh so your a pureblood?" asked Lily.

"Oh no, I'm not a pureblood."

"Then you’re a half-blood, right?"

"Yeah, that's it." Lily found the way she replied kind of awkward, but didn't press the matter

"Oh. Then why don't you borrow some of my clothes? We're about the same size. I might be a kind of taller, but I think you'll be able to handle it until your clothing gets here."

"Thanks a lot Lily. I appreciate it."

"No problem. Why don't we go up now so we can get you situated?"

"Sure I'd like that. Good night everyone." She said waving at everyone and following Lily.

The boys watched them leave and then plopped down on the couch. They began to discuss different things such as quidditch and classes, but what was really on their minds was the new girl. Hermione Granger.

"So what do you guys think about her?" asked James.

"I think she's cute." said Sirius.

"Besides that Sirius." emphasized James.

"She looks very intelligent and interesting." said Remus.

"Is that all you think about Moony?" Sirius remarked

"Whatever Padfoot. Anyways, what do you think Prongs?"

"She's okay. I still find it odd that she was unconscious in a room."

"You’re right. That is odd." Remus agreed.

"I never got a really clear reason either."

"Well we're not the ones who should be in her business. I think she is a nice girl and we should treat her like another student."

"Yeah sure. Okay Moony, but I have one question. Who really transfers in their seventh year?" said Sirius. The boys pondered. They did think that there was something funny about the new girl, but something cool also. They would get to know her before they judged her.

Up in the dormitory, Hermione tried on tons of clothing and picked a few outfits that she would need until she got her clothes. Her and Lily talked for a while before they decided to go to bed. Hermione was glad that Lily didn't ask her any hard questions or questions about where she was from. It made things a whole lot better. They finally went to bed after Hermione was introduced to the other girls that would be her roommates. Hermione stared out the window as she laid in bed. It was a new moon that night and it really made her think. She realized that she wanted to go back in time and that she got what she asked for. She thought about Harry, Ron, the Weasley's, everyone. Hermione knew that there was a possibility that she might never see them again. Crystal tears fell from her eyes. Maybe Dumbledore's right. Some things do happen for a reason.
ANI'm sorry for the delay for those waiting for this chapter. I apoligize, but there was some family stuff going on and I was going to put it up last week, but things happen so I hope you enjoyed it. Review ^_^