Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Is Timeless by ReeMarie LeBeau

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 4: The Truth

It had been about a month since Hermione had been tossed back in time and she was adjusting quite fine. Even though she had not been there long she felt close to all her new friends even if they didn't feel the same. She was very close to Lily, James and Sirius. They reminded her so much of Harry and Ron, it made her feel at home. Remus was always there to help here when she needed it and she considered him a very close friend. Peter however was the opposite. She kept her distance from Peter though not as much as it would show. She did at times try to give him a chance, but it never worked.

One Friday night the six decided to have a cram session, forced on to them by Hermione and Remus of course. They studied mostly potions and charms because of the tests coming up in those subjects. They stayed up until about 11:00pm. That's when everyone dropped like flies. Peter went up first, followed by Sirius and then James and Lily.

"Are you two sure you want to study longer? You study enough already," yawned James.

"I just want to read one more thing. Remus you can go up if you like. I don't want to hold you back from your rest," said Hermione.

"No it's alright. I have something else I want to check anyways. I'll be fine."

James and Lily smiled at each other. Then James said very loudly, “looks like somebody wants more time with his dream girl and it isn’t me.” Remus blushed and turned his head toward James. He looked as if he would murder James later. James took the hint. He gave Lily a kiss and they parted ways. Back on the couch Remus didn't want to turn to Hermione for fear that she might catch him blushing.

Hermione put her legs up on the couch and leaned against Remus, which caused him blush even more. "Am I bothering you Remus?" she asked.

"N...no...no, go right ahead," he replied

"Thanks."

Hermione just rested on him and read a bit, but within a few minutes she was asleep. Remus had just finished reading his book when he looked over at Hermione. She was sleeping peacefully. He didn't want to wake her. He figured since it was a Friday he'd leave her to her sleep. I can't leave her alone. Remus thought. He picked her head up lightly and placed it on his lap. She stirred a little and drifted back to sleep. He unconsciously rubbed her head and took the strands of hair out of her face. How do you do this to me Hermione? From the day you came I have felt such a strong energy from you, but it is also sensitive. I don't know why I feel this way towards you. I don't think you'd ever...ah. Remus shuck the thought from his head. Stop this Remus. You don't even know her. He placed his arms around his chest, leaned his head back, and while clearing his mind, went to sleep.

Around 5:00 the next morning (Saturday), Hermione opened her eyes slowly. She expected to find herself in her room, but instead found that she was in the common room, with her head on someone's lap. She thought about the last thing she remembered, which was reading her book. She looked at her side to see Remus' cloak on top of her. He's such a sweetheart. He must have covered me. She sat up a little to see Remus sound asleep. She stood up and stretched. She then looked out the window and saw the lake. It was still dark, but there was still a glint on the lake that made her smile. She turned around and walked back over to Remus. He looked so peaceful sleeping there. It was not the way he slept when she first saw him during her third year. She tapped his shoulder; there was no response. She then whispered his name, still no response. She shuck him, no response. "REMUS! Will you get of the bloody couch!” Hermione yelled.

Remus woke up wide-eyed and jumpy. He blinked a few times to find Hermione in front of him with her hands on her hips.

“Goomwanin’ Herm...ee," he yawned.

"What?"

"Good morning Hermione," he said more clearly.

"Good morning Remus. I believe we should get to our own rooms,” she said smiling. She took his hand and pulled him up. "I'm still tired and if I don't get the rest of my beauty sleep I will snap at everyone all day."

"Trust me, you don't need beauty sleep." He walked off to the stairs and stopped. Hermione then walked to the stairs and stopped.

"Are you going to bed or not?"

"Only if you go first."

Hermione went up the stairs. With on final look at Remus she went to her dorm. After that Remus then went to his bed also. He wasn't surprised to find his friends still sleeping, then again wouldn't anyone at five in the morning.

^*^*^*^*^*

"Alright boys it's a beautiful Saturday morning and since we've already harassed Remus on what happened between him and Hermione, which he says was nothing, we must now bother Hermione and Lily. She must have told Lily something," proclaimed Sirius.

"Oh come on Sirius get off it. Neither of them are the types to do anything. They're not you," said James.

James, Sirius, and Remus headed down to breakfast. Peter insisted on being left alone so he could sleep longer. As they sat Remus took special notice of the ceiling. It usually reflected how it was outside. It was clear and looked beautiful. Just like the girl he liked. Soon Lily and Hermione joined them in the Great Hall. Lily sat next to James obviously and Hermione sat next to Sirius. Bad decision! Sirius automatically started bombarding Hermione with questions, which caused Lily to get angry.

"Sirius just because you can't be alone with a girl and Remus can doesn't me you have to be jealous. We all know that's the reason." Lily smirked. It was a big blow to Sirius' ego. He shut up and the topic stopped there. It turned to the issue of the Halloween Ball. It was in two days and they never really talked about it, but already had things planned. James and Sirius were wondering if they should pull a prank this year, but thought it would be no fun if people expected them to do it. They talked about what they would wear and who they would go with; well, Sirius spoke about who he would go with; everyone else just kept shut. James leaned over to Remus and whispered in his ear, "Why don't you ask Hermione?" Remus looked at her and just shrugged.

James and Sirius went off to decide whether to play a prank or not. Lily went back to the common room and Remus decided to go to the library with Hermione.

In the library Remus sat down in front of Hermione at the table. They were in the library and he found it quiet and private. She looked up to see who had just sat down. It was Remus.

"Oh you found your book already."

"Ye...yes," he stuttered.

"Remus what's wrong? You're acting weird." stated Hermione.

"Nothing's wrong it's just that I want to ask you something and I don't know how."

"If it is to go to the Halloween Ball then the answer is yes."

"How...How did you know?" asked a very confused Remus.

“Call it women’s intuition for now.” They smiled at each other. He said he’d speak to her later. Hermione just smiled. She wondered what she would be doing now if she weren’t here. For the first time in a long time she thought about Ron and Harry. She thought about what they could be doing and if they're okay. "I miss you guys so much," she whispered to herself.

^*^*^*^*^*

Remus was pretty happy the rest of the day. He would get to go to the ball with Hermione and get to know her better. That is until he caught up to one of his friends. He found Peter wandering the halls as if searching for someone. Remus called out to him causing Peter to turn abruptly and fall. Remus helped him up. He noticed that Peter seemed extremely jumpy. When he asked him what was wrong, Peter said it was nothing.

"Guess what Peter!"

"What?"

"I asked Hermione to go to the ball with me."

"Hermione! Why?"

"I guess because I really like her."

"Don't you know what Halloween is? It's a full moon that night Remus. You can't go to the ball."

Remus felt like he was slapped in the face. He completely forgot. He had been so happy that he forgot that it was a full moon. This was one of the times that he hated being a werewolf. He hated that his conditioned always ruined something great for him. He said goodbye to Peter and stormed off.

Peter waited until Remus was fully out of sight before turning down a dark corner and a skinny figure emerged.

"Do you have any information Pettigrew?" asked the person.

"No Serverus. There isn't much going on. Except that new girl."

"I don't care about Hermione. I care about your stupid friends."

"They're not stupid."

"Didn't they betray you and leave you ever since Granger showed up. I thought the great marauders were the best of buddies. Isn't this why you are spying in the first place."

Hermione had been heading to the Gryffindor common room when she heard harsh voices. It was when she heard her name that she became suspicious of who it was. She stood close enough to the wall so that she could hear, but far enough so that she could run.

"You already know that Remus is a werewolf, what else is there? I shouldn't even be doing this. It makes no sense."

"Lets just say this is for my own personal gain."

"But...but...you said that if I didn't spy for you the dark lord would kill me," Peter whimpered.

"I lied."said Serverus.

Hermione couldn't believe what she had just heard. It was too early for Peter to spying. There was no resistance to Voldemort yet. Also it wasn't even the end of they're seventh year. This just weren't right. I've already changed things.

Peter had just backed out of the dark corner to find a very upset Hermione. He turned just to face Serverus. Hermione and Serverus looked from Peter to each other.

"I'm sorry Granger, but you've heard too much," said Serverus. He sent a spell her way, but she blocked with a spell she learned in her fifth year. It sent him flying. Peter tried to run, but Hermione caught him with Stupefy. She then stunned Serverus before he could reach his wand. "I'm sorry Serverus, but you've seen too much." She used a spell on him that would cause him to lose any memory of the last 72 hours. She left him laying in the hallway. When she went to go do the same thing to Peter he was gone. Hermione was going to leave it alone, but with all these changes happening so fast she couldn't risk it. She hurried to the Gryffindor common room with a feeling that Peter did the same.

By time Hermione got to the common room she found and angry group of marauders walking down their steps to greet her. What hurt her the most was the sadness on Remus' face. She did want to see him sad and the look of anger and disappointment on James' and Sirius' faces were enough to make her feel like she would drop dead.

They surrounded her. She felt very intimidated, but wouldn't let it show. "If you guys want to talk, then I know a place where we can do it privately so that a certain person's secret can be kept a secret."

"I'm not falling for it. I want answers now Hermione!” yelled Sirius.

"I'll tell you if you don't bring that traitor along," she said pointing to Peter. He cowered in the corner. "I'll tell you everything you want to know about what happened today."

"You can trust her Sirius. Me, you, and James will go with her, but Peter will stay here," said Remus. He didn't even look at them. He stared at Hermione and hoped she would tell the truth. Hermione led them to a part of the castle that they were not used to going to. Actually they didn't know if they had ever seen that part of the castle before. She closed her eyes and before they new it the were in a room with chairs and shelves of book and a warm fireplace. Hermione sat down in the chair closest to the fire. There were so many cold daggers being thrown at her that she needed the warmth.

"Where are we?" asked James.

"We are in the Room of Requirements. I found out about this room at my fifth year here at Hogwarts."

“You’re fifth year? That can’t be. You said you were a transfer."

"And this is where my story begins. I believe you would all like to sit down."

Remus and James sat down, but Sirius chose to stand. "Suit yourself Sirius and I need none of you to interrupt me," Hermione said to him.

"First of all, I am not a transfer student from Beauxbatons. I have been attending hogwarts since my first year and I am now in my seventh year. I know your itching to know how that's possible and you've never seen me in your life, but I'm from the future. At this point in time from where I am from it is October 1997."

"1997! Okay now you are making no sense. There is no way you are from the future. This is all bull shit and you know it. If you're going to lie, at least make it a good one."

"I said don't interrupt me!" she yelled. Sirius was taken back by her force and sat down.

"As I was saying. I'm from the future and how I ended up here? I'm not completely sure myself. The last thing that happened to me was that I was attacked. I had my time turner and I was trying to go back in time. While using it an enemy of mine attacked me and I came back farther than expected. I ended up here. James, that's why I asked you to take me to Dumbledore. I had to tell him what happened, to see if I could go home. Today I heard my name in a conversation and I heard Peter's voice. He was talking to Serverus about you guys. He was spying and telling Serverus things that shouldn't have been told. I know what happened in your sixth year and that Serverus found out that Remus is a werewolf, but that's not enough to satisfy him. He wants to know more."

"That's not possible. Peter would never do that. He's our best friend," stated Sirius, "Why should we believe you over him?"

"Because I know what will happen. I have already changed things by just being here. I shouldn't be telling you anything because there are strict laws with wizards who mess with time. I wasn't going to allow that traitor Peter Pettigrew to win when there is something I could do about it."

There was a moment of silence for about 5 minutes. The guys were just taking everything in about what they just heard. Hermione was just hoping they believed her. So they all just sat there, Until Remus broke the silence.

"Hermione, I really like you and I want to believe you, but how do we know you are telling the truth."

"I don't know Remus. What else do you need to believe me?" Hermione was beginning to regret her decision to go to the past. She wished she had just let her life go as it was and escape from her stepfather when she got out of Hogwarts.

"How about you tell us two things that only we would know that no one could have told you." suggested Sirius.

"Okay fine. First one thing for all of you. Sirius your animagus form is a black dog, James, yours is a stag, and Peter's is a stupid, ugly rat. Sirius, you were disowned by your mother for being a pureblood from a family full of Slytherin's and you were put in Gryffindor. James' parents have taken you in like a second son. James, the best thing I could tell you is that you’re going to have a son. His name is Harry Potter and he is one of my best friends. I love him like a brother and he acts almost just like you. And Remus, you got your bite from a werewolf at a very young age, but Dumbledore took you in anyway. You go to the Shrieking Shack every month to transform. That's why it's known as the most haunted building in Britain."

All three boys were in shock. Even Sirius had to admit that she was telling the truth. Things that only his closest friends knew, she told him straight to his face. "How is Peter a traitor?" He asked with his head down.

"I can't tell you anymore than I already have. I just don't think you should trust him. Especially after today. I don't want to mess things up worst than I already have. I just..." Hermione had nothing else to say. She just didn't want to talk anymore. It had been a frustrating day and she just wanted it to be over. She got up and walked over to Remus. He had been by her side while she was there and always seemed warmest to her. Although Sirius and James reminded her of Ron and Harry, Remus made her feel different. She knelt in front of him and reached to put a hand on his leg. He flinched at her touch. "Have I done you so much wrong that you feel threatened by me?" asked Hermione.

"No Hermione. I'm just soaking it all in. I believe you," he bent over and gave her a hug, "I believe you." Hermione hugged him back and appreciated it after all that had happened with such a small amount of time. She whispered to him thank you.

James and Sirius looked on. They both could see the closeness that had developed between the two in such a short time. Something would form and things would change after this night.

"So what are we going to do about Peter?" James asked breaking up the 'happy moment'. Hermione released Remus and sat cross-legged on the floor.

"I think you should still be friends with him. He'd become suspicious if you just shut him out and there is still hope for him. And I think I'll tell Lily about this whole thing. I don't like having secrets from her."

Sirius got up and walked over to Hermione. He kneeled down and gave her a hug. James followed and did the same. "We believe you Hermione," said James.

"You remind me of your son." Hermione smiled. For the first time in the past hour or so she felt happy and just had a feeling that everything would be okay. Now all she had to do is break it to Lily. Not only that, but she worried how long her friends would hold out and not expect any information from the future.
AUTHORS NOTE: I know that it took a while for this chapter to be put up and I'm sorry for you if you've been waiting forever. ^_^ I just had a lot on my plate with school work and term finals and volunteer work. It was a lot, so this chapter is up and please tell me what you think. All suggestions are welcome. Thanx...^_^