Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Is Timeless by ReeMarie LeBeau

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 9: Snape Got Run Over By a Hippogriff

Disclaimer: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer was originally written by Randy Brooks in 1977. I only adjusted it to fit the needs of this chapter. Frosty the Snow man was originally written by Jack Nelson and Steve Rollins and I only adjusted it to fit the needs of this story.

"Good Job, Lucius. Though I'm surprised you let a little girl get the best of you," snorted Voldemort.

"She hasn't seen the best of me, besides the point was to scare her and I think I did a good job of that."


The daylight was getting shorter each day and the weather getting colder and colder. Students were making plans for their Christmas holidays, but the holidays were still two weeks away. Professor where awaiting the vacation too. To them it was a chance to get away from the students and also a chance to give the students traumatizing exams before they go. Lily, Hermione, James, and Sirius sat at a rounded table in the library studying for the tests they will be taking. They all had Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms and Potions to take and none were happy.

"Sometimes I really hate these teachers. This is supposed to be the time of the year for giving, so they should give us a break," said Sirius annoyed.

"Get over it Sirius. It's not that bad. They just want to make sure that we don't forget anything," said Hermione in a matter of fact way.

"Oh please. The only reason you’re saying that is because you actually like to study," he told her.

"I resent that," she complained. "Lily, tell him that is completely untrue." Lily stayed completely silent. "Lily?"

"Sorry Hermione. I have to side with the boys on this one,” admitted Lily.

"Some friend you are," said Hermione sarcastically. They all laughed and returned to studying. Hermione was helping Sirius with his potions since he was absolutely horrible. After about an hour a familiar face came to join them.

"Remus, your back from the hospital wing," said a shocked Lily. She didn't expect him to recover so quickly from the full moon the previous night.

"I feel almost one hundred percent," replied Remus as he sat down next to her. She turned to him and gave him huge hug. This caused him to blush and the guys snickered quietly. Lily turned back their friends. He took a moment to cast a glance at Hermione. The still hadn't talked about that kiss they shared and they both were uncomfortable around each other when they were alone. Hermione's eyes lingered momentarily on his until she looked away, unable to look any longer. Remus frowned and leaned into the seat.

"You ready for the Defense Against the Dark Arts test tomorrow," asked Hermione, trying to be friendly. She knew she had been cold to Remus over the past day or so. She didn't want to be, but she didn't know what to make of him or herself. Talking to him opened up old wounds and made her revisit things in her past that she rather leave behind.

"It's my best subject. You don't even have to ask,"

Hermione looked at the time and saw that she had to meet Serverus.

"I'm going to head to the library. I'll see you guys a little later," said Hermione

"We were just at the library not to long ago," argued Lily.

"I know. There was just one more thing I wanted to do," she replied.

"Want me to come with you?" asked Remus hopefully.

"No, it's okay, I'll be back soon," she said as she left the common room. Remus lowered his head sadly and sighed.

"Hey Moony, is there anything going on between you and Hermione?" asked James.

"I wish," he sighed. Sirius noticed the sad sound in his voice and knew he was serious. "Remus if you’re serious about her then you should tell her," he said to him.

"I think she already knows."

"What do you mean?"

"We uh...we kissed that night we came back from Hogsmade." James and Sirius looked completely shocked but Lily wasn't surprised. She got up and sat next Remus, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"There's one thing I don't understand about guys. You're completely oblivious to what is obvious. Don't you see the way she is around you? She's always worried about you and wanting to know your okay. Sometimes she's even shy around you and when you compliment her or show you care she blushes like crazy. Don't you see," Lily tried to explain to him.

Remus took a minute to think. He did notice a few things, but he was so confused. He wanted to believe that he awoke the same feelings in her mind that Hermione awoke in him. He wanted her to feel the connection that he felt and he needed to be with her. Not want, but need.

"It's not that easy," he said to Lily.

"You'd be surprised how easy it can be," she replied.


Hermione entered the library and walked toward the back to the usual spot where she and Serverus sat. To her delight, he was already there. He looked up and smiled at her before turning back to a piece of parchment on the table. She set down her things and sat down across from him.

"What are you reading?" asked Hermione.

"Oh, nothing important," he replied nonchalantly.

"Alright, have you heard anything?"

"No. I haven't heard a thing as of late. I feel like I'm being kept in the dark--on purpose."

"Honestly, I have the same feeling. Malfoy attacked me at the last Hogsmade visit, but then you certainly would have known about it."

"Not necessarily. You don't give them enough credit Hermione. They're smarter than you think."

"Not smart enough," Hermione replied the clenched teeth.

"Hermione, have you ever thought about why you’re doing this? I mean your here risking your life and for what? For all you know, what you do here doesn't make a difference."

"First Dumbledore and now you. Why is everyone questioning me? Better yet, why are you doing this?"

Serverus froze. He had no answer for her. He didn't know why he was doing something so crazy. It was confusing to him. He didn't know whether it was the fact that he liked Hermione or the fact that he wanted retribution. He cleared his throat and looked at Hermione. He thought she was beautiful. Her hair in cool waves, yet slightly untamed. Her figure, while not perfect, was desirable. Her skin looked soft like a baby's and her eyes as dark as chocolate and he wanted her.

As much as she hated Snape in the future, his younger self wasn't as bad as he could've been. She actually enjoyed their intellectual conversations and she at times valued his opinion. Though when he started to question or argue with her, it was another story.

"I have my reasons Hermione," he stated simply.

"And so do I. We can leave it at that!"


"Where are you going for the break Hermione?” asked Lily the next morning. They stayed in the common room for breakfast due to the fact hat the girls in their dorm were having some problems and they figured the girls wanted to be left alone.

"I was planning on staying on Hogwarts. It's pretty much my only option," she replied.

"I'm sorry. My parents and I are going to some family. If I could I would have you go with me," she said apologetically.

"It's alright, really. I quite enjoy being at Hogwarts, especially during the winter months. Sometimes the lake freezes over."

"That hasn't happened in years though and I doubt it will happen."

"There are some miracles in life." The girls giggled. Just then the common room doors opened and dozens of students filed into the once quite common room. Of them were the marauders. They saw the two girls and walked over to meet them. James greeted Lily with a gentle kiss, causing her to giggle, as Remus greeted Hermione with a simple "hello". Hermione sank. Sirius looked at her with this awkward look on his face, but shuck it off. They all sat down, including Peter. He sat across from Hermione and continued to stare at her. She stared back at him. She wouldn't let him rule her.

"Hi Hermione," said Peter politely. Hermione's eyes opened wide. Did Peter just say hi to me? There is no way that just happened. I must be dreaming, but that kiss on the cheek felt real enough. Maybe he's finally clearing his head. Maybe I'm finally doing something right.

"Hello Peter," she replied after a long train of thought. "How are you?" she continued.

"I'm fine and you?"

"I'm okay." Hermione found the situation very uncomfortable; she would have rather him giving her a look of disgust than delight. Everyone else was stunned too. They found it extremely odd that Peter was being civil toward Hermione. Sirius actually kept pinching himself to make sure that he wasn't dreaming. Peter noticed the odd look on everyone's face and sighed.

"What?"

"Nothing Peter, it's just, you and Hermione haven't been on the best of terms and..." began Sirius.

"Listen," started Peter after cutting Sirius off. "I know that I haven't been nice to Hermione and that's why I want to apologize. I was acting like a true rat and I'm sorry."

Hermione smiled. He sounded so sincere. Wow, Peter just apologized. Either he meant it or he's a good actor.

"I'm sorry too Peter. I guess we both acted harsh toward each other," she said holding out her hand on a truce.

Peter smirked and lightly shuck her given hand. Inside, Wormtail was laughing. You'll see what harsh means. Just you wait. An awkward silence followed, only broken by a couple of second years screaming into the common room.

"So Moony, where are you going for the holidays?" asked Sirius.

"I don't know. I was going to go to my parents, but I went last year and I don't really mind being in the castle. I don't know yet."

"You're staying here and you know it." Remus blushed and said nothing more.

"Where are you going Sirius?" asked Hermione even though she knew very well that he was going to stay at James like always. There were like brothers and attached to the hip. She knew James' parents considered him a second son.

"Staying at James, like always. Except this time we plan on having a lot more fun," he stated after sporting a mischievous grin. "What about you? Are you staying with Lily? Maybe we can all meet up on Christmas at James' house?"

"No, I'm staying here. Lily and her parents are going to visit some family members."

"Well Lily, can't Hermione go with you. She can crash by you, Remus and I can crash by James. Then before it's time to come back we can all hang out."

"I can ask my parents. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. They know how much I hate visiting Aunt Mildred. She is the biggest pain ever," exclaimed Lily. She turned to Hermione and smiled. "I'll ask them, we can have a girls only vacation." Hermione nodded her head in agreement.

"So it's a date," said James snaking his arm around Lily's shoulders. Lily leaned into him and rested on his chest. Hermione smiled at the two. Even if they weren't ready to admit it, she could see the love between them, the love that save her best friend, Harry Potter's, life. It was also the love that her parents once shared and the love that she knew could never exist between her mother and William.

I wonder how Harry and Ron are doing. This is going to be my first Christmas without them. I hope their happy though. I don't want them to sulk over me.


Lucius slowly walked up to his master and bowed and waited for permission to speak.

"What is it Lucius?" hissed Voldemort.

"I have received word from Pettigrew. The fools have accepted his apology my lord. Our plan has been set into action."

"Good. Thank you Lucius. I always knew the worm would be good for something. We shall see how things progress," he replied tuning back around. He waved to signal Lucius to go away, but Lucius still stood. "Why are you still here?"

"I just remembered one more thing from Pettigrew's letter my lord. He said that the werewolf was possibly staying at Hogwarts during the holiday and he and the girl have become close. He is sure that he would be very protective of her in the event of any suspicious activity."

"Well then, I guess we have to avoid suspicious activity," he laughed and shooed Lucius away. He hand not time to deal with his followers. Although he was strong, there was no telling how much information this one girl might hold. After wards, he'd kill her. However, if she knew nothing, he would kill her for sport and be send a message to the wizarding world, that he wasn't a force to be messed with.



December '97

It was December of the year 1997 and Christmas was two weeks away. Everyone was ecstatic and happy to go home and spend time with there families. But not everyone was in high spirits. Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley still missed the third part to their trio, there best friend Hermione Granger. She had been missing for three months now and although the school seemed to move on, they were stuck. Everything they did reminded them over Hermione and how much they missed her. This was going to be the first Christmas since they were friends that they would not be together, and hopefully it would be the last. Other than that, life went on at Hogwarts. The students picked on other students, kids tried to study and teachers ached for the holidays.

Harry sighed as he began packing his things to leave the Defense Against the dark Arts class room. Ron would've been there if it hadn't been for a mishap in Potions that day. Professor Snape couldn't help, but take points away from Gryffindor and whine about how much he hated this time of the year. Remus stared at his young friend. Ever since Sirius died he seemed more fragile, but more fierce and dangerous all the same and now his best friend was taken away. He knew how Harry felt. He had felt the same way for years. Nothing could seem to take away the sorrow that was still held in his heart. There was one person that came close and he pushed them away. As far as he was concerned there was nothing anyone could do. He looked up once again his best friend’s son. “So much like James,” he said to himself. “But with so much burden.”

"Aha! I have an idea." Remus called after Harry just as he opened the door. Harry turned back at the Professor.

"Harry, I know your feeling a little down and I doubt chocolate will help much." Harry let out a slight chuckle at the comment. "I was wonder if you would like to help me relive one of my favorite memories at Hogwarts. Ron can be on it too. Trust me; you'll get a kick out of it."

Harry smiled. "Sure Professor. What is it?"

"I'll let you know when Ron gets out of the Hospital Wing. Now hurry on to your next class."

"Actually, I have dinner now."

"Oh, right you are. Hurry then. I don't want you to starve."

"Yeah, I'll see you later Professor."

After dinner, Remus had Harry, Ron, and Ginny meet him in the Hogwarts kitchen. They snuck down using the invisibility cloak and were curious to what he was up to. Down in the kitchens the house elves looked upon the group awkwardly. Only one was actually happy to see them. It was Dobby.

"Harry Potter sir had come to see Dobby. Harry Potter has some with friends. What can Dobby do for Harry Potter? Dobby will do anything for sir."

Harry eyed Dobby then looked to Professor Lupin. Lupin nodded.

"Dobby," said Professor Lupin. Dobby turned to look at the teacher. His tennis ball like eyes were wide and alert. "Okay Dobby, I want you to do a big favor for me. Is that okay?"

"Yes sir. Dobby help."

"Thank You. Now, you see this pouch in my hand?" he said holding up a small brown bag.

"Yes."

"I want you to make sure that a little bit of this gets into the food that the Slytherin's eat and only the Slytherins...not including Professor Snape," he added as an after thought. "Can you and your friends do that?"

"Yes sir, we can do that. We will do it for you sir," answered Dobby enthusiastically.

Remus smiled and handed the pouch over to Dobby. Right away he and the other house elves got to work. He turned to his students her were left in the dark.

"What was that about Professor?" asked Ginny. She was clearly tired and yawning her head off.

"I'm sorry I have you down here, but I just wanted to tell you that tomorrow morning at breakfast, start with usual conversation and mention Slytherin when you see that the entire house is seated and eating. Remember to say the word Slytherin really loud so that it could be heard. I think you'll understand what to do after that. Now back under the cloak and off to bed. I won't have you getting in trouble. And if some how you are seen, say you were with me."

The three students were confused, but nodded all the same. They all left the kitchens and went their separate ways.


The next morning at breakfast, Remus joined the head table in the front of the Great Hall late. He wanted to be able to signal to Harry when to do what he had to do. As he walked down the aisle, he stopped at the Gryffindor table and merely said, "About five minutes." Harry understood and told Ron and Ginny. They were both anxious to what the substance in the pouch would do. Five minutes passed and Harry stroked up a conversation about Quidditch.

"So Ron, do you think they're competition this year?"

"Who? I hope your not talking about SLYTHERIN." Ron bellowed the last word causing the entire hall to look in his direction. He began to say sorry when the entire Slytherin table dropped their forks, knives, and spoons on their plates and began to sing an interesting variation to
'Frosty the Snowman'.

"Professor Snape the teacher
Was a jolly happy soul
With a corncob pipe and a button nose
And two eyes made out of coal

Professor Snape the teacher
Is a fairytale they say
He was made of snow
But the children know
How he came to life one day

There must have been some magic
In that old silk hat they found
For when they placed it on his head
He began to dance around

Professor Snape the teacher
Was alive as he could be
And the children say
He could laugh and play
Just the same as you and me"

There Great Hall was full of laughter. Even as hard as the teachers tried, they couldn't help but giggle at the display. The Slytherin's sat down dazed, confused and embarrassed by the display. The most upset person in the hall however, had to be Professor Snape who was a red as a jellybean. He was speechless and his eyes quickly turned to Remus. Remus kept his snickers to himself in front of the students and teachers, but inside he was laughing his ass off.

When Ron, Harry, and Ginny saw what saying Slytherin out loud did, they tried it again. "Can you believe that Harry?" asked Ron.

"No I can't," he replied. "What about you Ginny?"

"I can't believe it either. If I knew Professor Snape was so fun, I wish I was in SLYTHERIN."

At the sound of the house name, the entire Slytherin table rose again, as if in a trance, and began to sing.

"Snape got run over by a hippogriff
Flying home from our school Christmas Eve.
You can say there's no such thing as Voldemort,
But as for Hogwarts, we believe.

He'd been drinking too much firewhisky,
And we begged him not to go.
But he forgot his normal potion,
And he staggered out the door into the snow.

When we found him Christmas morning,
At the scene of the attack
He had hoof prints on his forehead,
And incriminating scratch marks on his back.

Snape got run over by a hippogriff
Flying home from our school Christmas Eve.
You can say there's no such thing as Voldemort,
But as for Hogwarts, we believe."

The hall erupted into another fit of laughter. Even the Professors couldn't help, but laugh. Professor Snape got so upset that he left in the middle of the song. Remus had strolled over to Harry and asked not to continue. He wanted to give time for the spell where off. Harry agreed and the rest of the day ran like butter. Though, Snape was extra mean and snappy that day, whenever another house passed a Slytherin they would break out in song and sing either 'Professor Snape the Teacher' or the favorite 'Snape got Run Over by a Hippogriff.' Dumbledore assured Snape that it was all in fun and in the dark times ahead of them they needed a good laugh. Of course Snape was quick to say that it shouldn't be at him or his house's expense.

"Serverus I must say that who's ever idea it was, knew that it would have the greatest effect if done by the Slytherin house, and if I do say so myself, more catchy," he ended the conversation at that and as he walked away, Snape could here him singing lowly, "Snape got run over by a hippogriff, flying home from our school Christmas Eve..."


I loved doing this chapter. I think I achieved what I wanted. It had some serious parts, but ended on good humor. I'm still singing in my head...Snape got run over by a Hippogriff...ha-ha. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. If you have any comments or suggestions you don't want to put in your review just email me.