Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Journey On Water by SK witch

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Ballroom looked absolutely mesmerizing and enchantingly beautiful that particular night. As Draco and Hermione went through the great oak doors that led to the event, they could not hold back a gasp as they took in their magnificent surroundings.

The ceiling was like a glass dome that allowed everyone who looked up to see the stars that sprawled out across the night-blue sky; their light winking down at them from far above. The walls, instead of being completely opaque, were clear and transparent in places and gave everyone a plain view of the vast sea surrounding them. The tall glass windows were giving an impressive sense of openness to the ballroom.

A grand orchestra was playing at the far end of the ballroom. Men in black waistcoats and women in formal clothes sat on long and silver stools; passionately playing their instruments, producing music that enhanced the magical atmosphere surrounding them all. The symphony was compelling, and the guests at the very centre of the room danced gracefully to the tune; their swift and elegant movements causing Hermione to sigh out dreamily.

Tables with splendid red and white covers sat all around, each having a bouquet of flowers in a crystal vase and a slender white candle sitting on top. The light that was given off was solely due to the candles and small chandeliers that glowed peacefully, which sort of gave an enigmatic sense and a feel of the old-fashioned ways.

“It’s all too much like the movies,” Hermione whispered in awe, enthralled with what she was seeing. “It feels like I’m in a fairytale.”

Draco didn’t say anything, but nodded his head slightly; his aristocratic eyes silently observing all that was before him. He was impressed by what the Muggles had to offer and was daunted by the fact that all this was done without an ounce of magic. They had created an ambiance that was so mysterious, romantic and dazzling all at once that it was hard to believe that they had achieved all of this out of pure effort and will alone.

Draco took a sideways glance at Hermione and marveled at the way the candle’s glow played on her skin; it seemed to soften her features and gave her an air of mystery and beauty that prickled his skin with a weird sense of pleasure. He was with the most beautiful and intelligent girl “ no, woman “ he had ever set his eyes on and she was his for the night. His lips curled into his all-time smirk as he watched her turn around to meet his gaze; her cheeks coloring as her warm, brown eyes bore into his own.

He looked more handsome than ever; his midnight-black suit contrasting with his silver-grey eyes and platinum blonde hair. The white shirt he wore underneath gave him a more striking look, but Hermione knew that white shirt or not, the guy before her was without a doubt the most attractive man on the ship. His steely gaze went straight through her heart and she felt little tingling sensations from her head to her toes as he continued to stare at her without a hint of embarrassment. He had an air of secrecy and arrogance that pulled Hermione in and she was sure that if she continued to stare into those icy-silver eyes any longer, she would get sucked right into them.

“Shall we?” Draco asked softly, offering his arm to Hermione, who stood seemingly transfixed; her eyes unable to tear away from his intense gaze.

“Wha- ? Oh, yes,” Hermione mumbled, blinking furiously as if it would jolt her to her senses. “Let’s…” She shyly took his arm, her fingers gently holding onto him, and gave him a warm smile that sent shivers through Draco. Trying his best to seem unaffected, he gave her a small wink and together they walked around the magnificent hall to look for their friends.

***


Furtive glances and hushed voices followed the pair as they roamed around the ballroom; their stunning looks combined with the fact that they looked lovely together caused some people to nod their heads in approval and others to take it as a chance for gossiping.

“Did you see…?”

“My god, look at him!”

“They look gorgeous, whoever they are…”

“Hell, that girl is attractive.”

“Get your eyes off of her, Blake!”

“He could do so much better than her…”

“She looks absolutely beautiful!”

Draco scowled whenever a guy stared in awe as Hermione passed by, his insides boiling in anger as he watched them smiling and eyeing her longingly. Their comments irritated him and he wished that they would all just shut up or at least whisper so that they couldn’t actually hear what they were saying! Some of the guys even had the nerve to come up and say a quick ‘hello’ to her before he glowered at them and steered her towards another direction.

Hermione too was trying her very best to ignore the whispers that were directed towards them and tried not to snap at the girls who jealously whispered about ‘that handsome hunk’ who ‘deserves better than her’ and that she was ‘just another pretty face’. She rolled her eyes as she watched girls swoon and sigh as Draco passed by and she glared at them menacingly as they flirtatiously battered their eyelashes; mouthing small hey’s when he took a quick glance at them.

“This is ridiculous!” Hermione muttered heatedly as she watched a girl stare at Draco as if he were from another planet altogether. “You’d think they’d never seen a guy before.”

“Tell me about it,” Draco mumbled back, sending daggers at a guy who was looking at Hermione admiringly. “I mean, it’s as if they’ve never set their eyes on a pretty girl their entire lives.”

Hermione blushed at the implication and tried to focus on finding their friends. She couldn’t see them anywhere and she was desperate to find a familiar face among the hundreds that kept taking small fleeting looks at the both of them. She was a little bit elated that she had gained such attention, but was even more pleased by the fact that Draco had taken it upon himself to make sure that no one came close to her. She could feel the hint of possessiveness about him and couldn’t help but smile to herself every time he put his arm around her and pulled her in the other direction, telling her that they might as well check the other side to see if their friends were there.

It was funny how it all came to this in the end. Not much time had passed and already Hermione felt close to Draco. She enjoyed having him around, she started to get used to his arrogant remarks and she now secretly yearned for his subtle, tender gestures. Him warmly putting an arm around her, giving her a rose, taking her hand between his and giving it a small peck… all these simple actions had a massive impact on her. She felt drawn to him “ his every move, his smart, witty comments, his smirk that now almost seemed like a smile sometimes… Yet, for some odd reason, she felt wrong. Maybe it was because of their past times together or maybe this all felt odd because of the fact it was Draco… She didn’t quite know, but to her, Draco seemed forbidden in a way.

“Hey, over there! Isn’t that them?”

Hermione looked to where Draco was pointing and found Violet, Roger, Alex and Jake walking through the oak doors; looking around the ballroom “ completely mystified by their surroundings. “They weren’t here all this time!” Hermione laughed, shaking her head in amusement. “We should have known after taking two full rounds around the ballroom!”

“You’re the one who was insisting we do,” Draco said, his lips quirking into a small smile. “I was the one who suggested we should stay put and that they would eventually come to us. So, I’m smarter -”

“Oh, get over yourself,” Hermione said exasperatedly, smiling nonetheless. “Let’s go and say hello.”

Draco and Hermione weaved around the crowd and made their way towards Violet and the rest. The ballroom was now teeming with people, so both of them kept an eye on their friends so as not to lose them in the crowd. Once they had finally reached them, Violet squealed in delight and hugged the both of them; the guys following suit once Violet had given them the chance.

“You’re looking stunning, Hermione,” Alex smiled warmly once he had given her a hug and had looked at her properly. “And I’m sure your date is pretty happy tonight,” he laughed, thumping Draco’s back as a way of greeting. “You guys look great.”

Hermione’s first impulse was to tell him that it wasn’t a ‘date’, but she stopped herself just in time. How could she possibly humiliate Draco in front of everybody? She looked at him and saw him give Alex a small smirk. Obviously, he didn’t mind… in fact, it seemed as if Draco himself considered this as a date. Hermione inwardly smiled at the thought. If Draco saw this as some sort of a date, then why couldn’t she? Initially, she hadn’t considered it as one, because she had thought it would have only been a one-sided thing, but she was wrong “ Draco was on the other side now… And anyway, who was she trying to kid? Deep down she knew this was more than just simple a night out.

“You guys don’t look too bad yourselves!” Draco replied smiling; clapping Roger on the shoulder. “And Violet…” he said, giving her a tight embrace, “you look very, very pretty tonight.” And she really did. She looked absolutely splendid in her beautiful purple gown. Together with her curly, jet black hair falling to her shoulders and the slight make-up she had put on, she was really a sight to behold.

“Aw, thanks!” Violet said, beaming. She looked over at Hermione and Draco both standing side by side and inwardly smirked. Hermione gave her a lop-sided grin and Violet returned a knowing look that caused her friend to blush.

“Alright, come on! Let’s go and find a free table, where we can all sit,” Hermione said quickly, trying to ignore Violet’s small smile.

“Yes, let’s,” Violet chirped in, taking Hermione’s arm and pulling her forward. “Where you’re going to tell me all about Draco’s reaction…” she whispered excitedly as she dragged an exasperated Hermione towards an empty table.

“Oh for Merlin’s sake, there’s really nothing much to say…”

Violet laughed and shook her head. “Oh, Hermione… I know you have loads to tell me!”

***


Once they had all reached their table, Draco took his place beside Hermione and finally took the time to take in the full splendor of his surroundings. Even though the whole event was taking place inside, Draco felt open to the night-blue sky above. He tilted his head slightly and gazed up at the glass dome; the millions of little stars, looking like a giant wet cobweb, giving him the impression they were winking down at them cheerfully.

The sounds of laughter and of people talking animatedly echoed throughout the ballroom. Draco watched with interest as women in elegant gowns glided across the dance floor with their partners; their graceful movements flowing beautifully with the music. The way in which their dresses swirled around them as they twirled across the floor seemed artistic in a way and Draco was for a moment mesmerized with their whole dance. But something was missing. Yes, he was taken in by the beauty of the couples dancing their hearts out on the floor, but there was a certain magic that was lacking.

”Enjoying yourself?” Hermione asked in a low voice, nudging Draco slightly.

“Quite,” he replied curtly, his eyes never leaving the synchronized movements of a couple moving smoothly across the dance floor. After a moment’s pause, Draco added, “It’s interesting to see how perfect and beautiful a dance can be and yet seem dull at the same time…”

Hermione followed Draco’s eyes and found the couple that had caught his attention. She watched them silently for a few seconds and tried to figure out what he had meant. “What do you mean?” she asked, her eyebrows furrowing in curiosity.

“Look at the way they move; synchronized and absolutely perfect in every way, right?”

“Right,” she agreed, not knowing where this was going at all.

“Now, look at their expressions and how they’re looking at each other. Look at the way they’re holding each other.”

Hermione intently studied their features and their postures. The man was stony-faced and without an inch of emotion on his features, while the woman’s was that of pure concentration. They held one another as if they were uncomfortable with each other and as Hermione continued to watch them, the beauty of the dance slowly disintegrated.

“There’s no magic, right?” Draco chuckled slightly as he saw her eyes open in realization. “No chemistry.”

Hermione whipped her head around and stared at him as if were another creature all together. “Since when are you an expert in all this?” She was perplexed by Draco’s deep observation. The fact that he had noticed the lack of chemistry between two people intrigued her. “How did you notice something like that?”

“Believe me, I’ve been to many Balls and dance events and I’ve picked up a lot along the way.”

Hermione cocked one eyebrow up at this and looked at him doubtfully. “Draco Malfoy at Balls and dance events?” she asked, trying to bottle up a laugh that was bubbling up in her throat. “I can’t even begin to imagine it.”

“My parents used to drag me to all sorts of events. ‘To make our presence known,’ they would say,” Draco laughed bitterly, shaking his head. “Well, as you know, our ‘presence’ soon became very well known.”

Hermione’s laugh died in her throat. “Y-yeah…” she stuttered uncomfortably, suddenly unsure of what to say. She didn’t quite know how to handle topics involving his parents yet, so she remained silent “ she didn’t want to say anything that would offend him that night.

“Okay, you guys! It’s time to celebrate our last night here together,” Roger said loudly, standing up and holding a glass up in the air. “It’s been one hell of a holiday and I say we make our last night here together a memorable one.”

“Aw, you say that as if we’re not going to stay in touch at all,” Hermione said, relieved that she was saved from a moment of awkwardness between her and Draco. “We’re all going to try and keep tabs on each other right?”

“You bet,” Jake said warmly, giving her a small smile as he raised his glass. “To a long lasting friendship,” he said enthusiastically, raising his glass up higher; motioning for the others to do the same.

“To a long lasting friendship,” they agreed in unison before taking a long swig of their drinks.

In the middle of gulping down the remains of her non-alcoholic champagne, Hermione chocked and sputtered as two figures in the middle of the dance floor caught her eye. The cool liquid must have gone down the wrong pipe, because a second later she was coughing hysterically into her hands, her eyes swimming in tears as the coughs wrecked through her body.

In a flash, Draco poured her a glass of water and pushed it between her lips, forcing her to drink as Violet patted her back to ease her coughing “ both looking at her in utter disbelief. “Honestly woman, it’s not even alcoholic…” Draco muttered incredulously, as she struggled to drink the water. “How you managed to drink all those alcoholic beverages a few days ago is completely beyond me…”

Hermione scowled. She swatted his hand away and took the glass between her hands “ drinking deeply as she felt the coughs slowly subsiding. “Tell me,” she said darkly as she finished her glass of water, “since when have they become so close.”

“What are you “ oh wow…” Violet said in surprise as everyone followed Hermione’s gaze. “I have no idea.”

Hermione couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Jessie, looking stunning in a midnight-black dress that clung to her body, was dancing with Bob! Bob, who barely knew Jessie! Bob, who had no idea what she really was like! Hermione shook her head in disbelief as the ‘couple’ glided across the dance floor “ Bob confidently leading the way and Jessie smiling radiantly as if to show how happy she was. Hermione looked on with distaste as he pulled Jessie against him as they danced; the latter giggling pathetically into his chest as they swayed to the music. How were they friends all of a sudden?!

“Well, well, well,” Draco chortled, “it looks as if she has finally moved on.”

“You don’t suppose she could’ve used -”

“Amorodor?” Violet finished for Hermione. “I don’t think so. I’ve got it safely hidden away. Besides, even though it is surprising she’s dancing with him of all people, it’s just a dance. It can’t be more than that. I’m sure she found him cute the other day and asked him for a spin or something…”

Hermione was only half listening. The word ‘revenge’ flashed through her mind as she watched Jessie gently rest her cheek against Bob’s chest. Was this one of her schemes to get Draco jealous once again? Was she trying to get back at her for exposing her in front of her friends? Hermione didn’t know, but she certainly didn’t like the fact that she was dancing with him. How dare she dance with him after using him as a ploy just two days ago!? It was unfair on him! Hermione glanced at the two of them once more and blinked in surprise as Jessie flashed her a smug smile; waving her fingers slightly as if trying to taunt her.

“That no-good witch!” Hermione muttered under her breath in disgust. What was she playing at?! That smile… what did it mean?!

Draco saw the worried expression on her features and felt a small pang in his chest. Why did Bob suddenly matter so much, he wondered in distaste? Why did it have to upset her as much as it did? Slowly, Draco reached out his arm and gently pressed his cool hand on her arm, causing her to turn around and meet his gaze. Her eyes reflected both hate and worry. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at her more seriously.

“Let it go,” he said calmly, but with a firm tone in his voice. “It’s not like she’s going to hurt him. It doesn’t mean anything… it’s just a dance.” He whispered so that the others, who had already gotten over the initial surprise and were chattering away amongst themselves, wouldn’t be able to hear. He thought it would be rude to express his own opinions about one of their friends. “There’s nothing to worry about.”

“You don’t understand!” Hermione whispered back urgently. “I think it’s -” She stopped in embarrassment as she realized Violet and the boys were now looking at them inquisitively, probably wondering what they were talking about and why she and Draco weren’t joining in their conversation.

“Is there something wrong?” Roger asked, looking at the pair of them curiously.

“Oh no…nothing’s wrong!” Hermione said, a little too quickly, for she blushed at her mistake.

“No, don’t worry,” Draco replied smoothly. “I was just asking her whether she would like to accompany me and get a drink.” He looked at her and cocked his eyebrow. “You are coming, aren’t you?”

Hermione caught on immediately and replied, “Of course. I need a new glass of…erm…of that champagne! Barely tasted any of it seeing as I nearly spurted out half the glass of that last one…” She laughed weakly as she got up from her seat slowly. “We’ll be back soon.”

“I’ll come with you too!” Alex said earnestly, quickly standing up from his chair. “I was going to go and get a drink myself. I’ll just tag along since you guys are heading that way as well.”

“Oh, well -” Hermione began, but was cut off when Violet rolled her eyes and pushed Alex back down. She looked at Hermione and gave her a cheeky smile.

“No, he’ll go later,” she emphasized, giving Alex a small scowl. “You guys go ahead and… catch up with things. Don’t worry.” She winked and motioned for them to get a move on. “Take your time!”

Hermione sighed in relief. She could have hugged Violet, but instead she gave her an affectionate smile. “Thank you,” she mouthed wordlessly as she walked away with Draco. “I owe you!”

Violet laughed silently to herself and discreetly gave her a thumbs-up. She had a good feeling about tonight. There was always something magical about Balls and such events. The atmosphere created the perfect, romantic mood and she had an inkling that this would benefit both Draco and Hermione in more ways than one. Hopefully, they would not argue or upset one another… the two of them were unpredictable at times!

“What was all that for?!” Alex accused, irritated and confused. “Why, in Merlin’s beard did you push me back down, Vy?!”

“Oh, honestly!” Violet snapped, annoyed at his ignorance. “Didn’t you think they would have wanted some privacy, from time to time during the evening? Some time together alone?!” Violet looked at the three of them, hoping they had understood, and couldn’t help but laugh as they looked at her with wide eyes. She shook her head in amusement. Boys will always be… Violet sighed… boys.

***


“That was quick thinking,” Hermione muttered quietly as she leaned against the tall, translucent window; pressing her temple against the cool surface.

“I know,” Draco replied matter-of-factly, giving her a crooked smile. “It’s all about staying calm during these kinds of situations.” When Hermione didn’t respond, but instead stared out into the grand balcony, Draco’s slight smile faltered. “Tell me,” he demanded suddenly, his voice hardening, “tell me what exactly is bothering you. Is it because dear Bob decided to go over to Jessie? Is it because Jessie took him away from you?” Jealousy washed over him as he said those words.

“What…?!” Hermione exclaimed in surprise, a little hurt that Draco had thought that way.

“Do you like him, Hermione?” Draco asked, his jaws tight and his eyes full of resentment.

“Excuse me?”

“I said, do you have an attraction for Bob? I don’t give a damn if you do, but I hate being left in the dark.”

Hermione noted with surprise the hint of jealousy in his voice. The set jaws, the serious tone, the way he was asking the questions… could it be possible that Draco was jealous?
Her heart fluttered at the thought. “Oh, Draco it’s nothing of the sort!” she said sincerely. “You’ve got it all wrong.”

Draco looked at her steadily, his eyes boring into her own. “Enlighten me.”

Hermione took in a deep breath. “I really hate her, Draco… I’m sick and tired of her silly antics. Trying to get your attention all the time, almost drowning me, using Bob to try and kiss me and then,” she motioned over to Bob and Jessie, “flirting with him as if nothing had happened.” Hermione grew angry as she spilled her thoughts to Draco. “You should have seen the filthy grin she gave me… taunting me... trying to get me all riled up. And as much as I hate to admit it, it’s working.”

“Hermione-”

“How dare she use people like that! She has no right to flirt with him! He has no idea what she has done to him… tried to make him do!” Hermione was on a roll and there was no stopping her now. All the hate she felt for Jessie, bottled up inside her all this time, exploded in that moment. “What did I ever do to her? Now, she’s trying to get revenge because I exposed her in front of her friends!”

“Alright now, calm down. You’re becoming too loud -”

“She knows. Oh, she knew I’d get upset as soon as I’d see them together. She’s a no-good, foul little witch and I wish I could just -”

Draco took her wrist and pulled her towards the open veranda. She needed some fresh air and they needed to get away from the crowd “ she was creating a scene inside and Draco didn’t want them all to witness her ranting. He dragged her towards the furthest end, where there weren’t any people, and then let go of her wrist when he realized that she was still talking hysterically, her face flushed with anger and her voice now almost high-pitched.

“-and I hate the fact that she’s getting to me! I hate, hate, hate -”

“Hermione!” Draco put his hands on her shoulders and shook her slightly; trying to get her to calm down. He knew she was finally venting her anger, but she needed to relax “ to take a deep breath. “Just breathe for a second, alright? Calm down…”

“I hate her so much…” she whispered throatily, looking up at Draco as if he understood what she was feeling. “So much…” Angry tears spilled from the corner of her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. She didn’t know why, but tears always formed whenever she would get too angry or upset. She disliked this fact, but there was nothing she could do to prevent them. “Oh, no,” she moaned as she felt the tears stream down her cheeks. “Not now…”

Draco blinked in surprise as he watched her. “What…? Why are you crying?!”

“I don’t know!” Hermione mumbled furiously, more to herself than to Draco. “It just happens!” She looked up at the sky, desperately trying to fight them off, but to no avail. Hermione groaned in frustration and turned her back towards Draco, brushing off her tears angrily. She definitely did not want him to see her in this state, so why, oh, why, wouldn’t they just stop!?

Draco chuckled, causing Hermione to blush in her embarrassment. “Oh shut up, Draco,” she muttered, sniffling slightly. She willed herself to take deep breaths and tried to calm herself down. “Merlin, this is so dramatic…”

Draco laughed. “It is.” He pressed one hand on her shoulder and forced her to turn around. “So stop crying and get yourself together,” he said gently, his eyes glinting meaningfully. “You don’t want her spoiling tonight, do you?”

“Of course not! I just had to let that out… the tears just have to come along when I get too angry.” Hermione sighed heavily and rolled her eyes. “At least it’s all out now.”

“Ready to go back in there?”

Hermione looked into the ballroom and nodded her head. “Yeah, I’m ready.” After a few seconds, she cocked her head to one side and said, “It’s good to know I can tell you all of this, Draco. I -” She paused for a moment then continued, “I somehow trust you now. We’ve come a long way, haven’t we?” She turned her head so that she was gazing into his steel eyes and her heart nearly jumped out when she realized he was staring intensely back at her.

Somehow, the distance between them had closed and Hermione was engulfed by Draco’s musky cologne. He moved a little closer and Hermione’s senses shut out completely. She couldn’t form any words and her breath was caught in her throat. Her heart rate increased as he leaned his head forward and Hermione waited, her knees becoming slightly weak, for the inevitable to happen.

Draco had no idea what caused him to move closer to her. Maybe it was because of what she had said just a second ago… I trust you. Those three words continued to ring in his ears as he took another step closer to her. He could now clearly see her long, wet eyelashes, and couldn’t help but lean his head forward as he continued to gaze into her eyes “ it was as if she were pulling him in. Draco had the strongest urge to touch her cheek, trace the outline of her jaw with his fingertips… to kiss her. She was so close, her lips looking as tempting as ever and yet…

“We have come along way,” Draco whispered huskily, resisting with all his might to just press his lips against hers. “And I’m glad I’ve gained your trust.” He softly tucked one of her stray strands of hair behind her ear and gave her a slight smirk. “I wouldn’t want to do anything to break it…” Draco lingered closer still for a few seconds before pulling away and taking a step back. He didn’t want to upset her or ruin what they had so far, but as he saw the hurt expression on Hermione’s face, Draco wondered… Did she have feelings for him too?

Hermione was anticipating a kiss. She was actually waiting for it to happen. Draco had come so close… so close that she could nearly feel his lips on hers. She felt a wave of disappointment wash over her as he leaned back. What was his problem?! What was up with him and his mixed signals?! Hermione couldn’t make out whether he actually liked her or was just playing around with her emotions. It confused her and frustrated her, but she didn’t dare say anything. If she expressed these feelings to him, Merlin knows how he would react. “We should go back in,” Hermione said, her voice somewhat unsteady. “I don’t want to keep them waiting.”

“You’re right. Let’s -” But Draco didn’t finish the rest of his sentence, because Hermione had turned around and left before he could get all the words out. He watched, a little stunned, as she strode back into the ballroom; her dress flapping gently against the salty wind. She didn’t once turn around to see if he was following her “ she was angry at him and Draco knew it, but he couldn’t figure out whether it was because he had gone too close to her or because he hadn’t kissed her.

Draco stared towards the place she had been just a few seconds ago. It had to be because he hadn’t kissed her… she would have pushed him away if she didn’t want him so close. She had just stood there as he had leaned forward, as if just waiting for him to lean in all the way… Draco smirked as these thoughts sped through his mind. And so the serpent had finally captured the lion’s heart. She had fallen for him and he… he had fallen for her too.

***


“So, what happened?!” Violet asked excitedly as Hermione returned to their table and sat down. “And where’s Draco?” She turned to look for him, but saw him nowhere in sight. “Did he go to the bathroom or -”

“I left him outside.”

“You what?”

“He “ well, he annoyed me, so I just left. I’m guessing he’s still out there.”

“Oh, Hermione,” Violet sighed heavily, throwing her hands up in the air, “What did you fight about now?”

“We didn’t fight! He tried to “ well, I thought he was going to -” Hermione thought about how close he had been and felt a shiver run down her spine. “Oh, never mind! The point is I needed to get away from him for sometime.”

Violet put her hands up in surrender. “I give up. You both sort this between yourselves.”

Twenty minutes had passed and Draco had not yet come back. Hermione tried her best not to show it, but she was anxious to know where he had gone off to. She scanned the ballroom for his familiar figure, but he was nowhere to be found. Thankfully, Jessie and Bob had wandered off somewhere before she had come back to the table, so there was one thing off her mind, but now she was starting to feel guilty for leaving Draco like that. Where was he and why wasn’t he coming back?

Hermione watched in silence as people clinked their wine glasses, laughed, and took their partners to the dance floor. The music was slow and romantic and it was little hard for her to watch the couples hold each other and sway to the song. Roger had asked Violet for a dance and two other girls had come and taken Alex and Jake away… It felt awkward sitting all alone.

“It looks like you’re having the time of your life.”

Hermione whipped around and saw Draco walking up to her with his stupid, stupid smirk plastered across his face. He stopped a few feet away from her and laughed lightly as she turned her back to him once again “ furious that he would make sarcastic comments after teasing her like that back outside. He should be apologizing! And what had taken him so long to come back?!

Draco shook his head in amusement and walked around Hermione’s chair so that he was facing her once more. He tried to catch her eye, but she refused to look at him. She had her arms folded across her chest and her chin stubbornly sticking out. She was restlessly drumming her fingers against her arm and her posture clearly meant that she was annoyed with him.

“You missed me that much, huh?”

“Go away, Draco,” Hermione snapped, still refusing to look at him.

“No.”

“Stop being such a prat and go away!”

“Why?”

Hermione could have screamed in frustration. “Because I don’t want you anywhere near me!”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m su-” Hermione stopped mid-way and finally turned to look at him. She furrowed her eyebrows and asked curiously, “What is that supposed to mean?”

Draco merely stared back at her, the corner of his lips pulled up into a sly grin. Hermione impatiently waited for him to say something, but he continued to stand there just gazing at her. “Well!?” she demanded, becoming more are more irritated. “Are you going to explain or are you just going to stand there like that for -”

“Dance with me.”

Hermione froze. All the angry thoughts that she had for him fled from her mind as she struggled to register what Draco had just asked her. “E-excuse me?”

Draco extended an arm and offered Hermione his hand. “Dance with me,” he repeated smoothly, smiling slightly at her stunned expression.

Hermione didn’t know what to say! She was so taken aback by his sudden request that she momentarily forgot how to think straight. She stared at him in bewilderment; completely at a loss for words. He had asked her to dance! To dance with him! And she had no idea what to do! She looked at the hand that he was holding out for her and blurted out the first thing that came to her head, “I’m a terrible dancer.” Hermione mentally kicked herself.

Draco laughed. “Luckily, I’ll be the one leading. And it doesn’t hurt to mention that I’m a fairly good dancer, so you’re in good hands. Come on.”

Hermione looked at his small smile and hesitated a second longer before gently sliding her hand on top of his. This was it. She was actually going to dance with Draco Malfoy. No “ not just dance, but slow dance.

***


Draco wrapped his fingers around Hermione’s petite hand and gave her a comforting squeeze. She looked terrified and he couldn’t blame her “ Draco was terrified himself. He had watched her from afar for some time before gaining the courage to go back and face her. After finally acknowledging his feelings, and realizing that they were probably shared by Hermione, everything seemed to change, to shift.

Draco led her to the dance floor and turned slightly to face her. Never letting go of the hand that he was initially holding on to, he took a small step towards her and gently laid his free hand on the small of her back. She seemed small and delicate and Draco couldn’t help but smile as she quickly took a shy glance at him before placing her other hand on his shoulder.

“Relax,” he breathed as he saw her blush. He could almost feel her heart thudding against her chest and Draco couldn’t help but feel a weird sense of pleasure wash over him. “And try breathing out,” he said, chuckling slightly when he saw that she was holding her breath. “I don’t want you passing out on me.” And before Hermione could say anything, Draco moved, leading her slowly across the dance floor.

Hermione was lost. Lost in the music, lost in the dance and lost in him… His movements were confident and smooth and her fears slowly disappeared as she relaxed into him. She almost immediately forgot her surroundings as Draco pressed her closer to him; the intensity of his eyes and the close contact with him drawing her into him. The chemistry she felt between them was electrifying and Hermione never wanted the dance to end. She was in seventh heaven and had no idea how she would come back down. She wanted to stay like this, in Draco’s arms, forever.

However, Hermione was instantly on her guard once she felt Draco’s hand slowly fall to her lower back, causing her body to stiffen. She gave him a surprised look and told him severely, “Don’t play around with me, Draco. It’s not funny.”

Draco chuckled into her ear and pressed her closer still, so that her cheek was gently resting on his shoulder. “It’s called dancing, Hermione. I’m not trying to seduce you.”

Hermione laughed and comfortably pressed her cheek into his shoulder, inhaling his cologne and closing her eyes. “That’s good to know.” And they didn’t say anything for a long time. They simply held each other close and swayed to the music, both completely losing themselves in each other.

***


“Thank you for the dance,” Hermione said shyly, leaning against the ship’s railing and looking out towards the calm sea. “I enjoyed it.”

“No problem,” Draco said, standing close beside her. “I enjoyed it myself.”

Hermione smiled and turned her head sideways in order to look at him. “You never cease to surprise me, Draco. I never thought you had it in you.”

“I told you I could dance. It’s all in the leading...” Draco smirked and held her gaze. “You’re not as terrible as you said you were.”

“Oh, yeah, well… I was stunned and I didn’t know what to say. It just came out of my mouth.” Hermione paused for a moment then tilted her head slightly. “Just out of curiosity...” she started, now turning her body around, “where were you after I... after I left?”

Draco didn’t answer immediately. His cool gray eyes intensely bore into hers for a few seconds before he turned away and sighed. “I was figuring things out.”

“Erm…what things? If it’s not too personal to ask, of course,” she asked, bravely taking a step closer to him and laying a hand on his arm.

“I was trying to figure out why you got so upset. I was trying to understand what made me do what I did before…” He slowly turned around and faced her; his eyes once again capturing hers. “I didn’t mean to scare you…”

“I wasn’t scared! I just thought you were going to…I mean, you know -”

But all of a sudden, Draco pushed away from the railing and completely closed the distance between them, causing Hermione to gasp in surprise. He softly put his hand behind her head and brought her forehead towards his lips, giving it a small peck. He looked down at her astonished expression and smirked. “I apologize for before.”

Hermione’s mind was reeling. She stood looking at him with wide eyes, unable to comprehend what had just happened. Did he just do that?

“Too short?” he asked, his eyes gleaming mischievously.

“Yeah…” she said, still in a daze. Then, suddenly realizing what she had said, she quickly tried to amend her mistake. “I mean no! No, no, no -” But once again she was cut off, because Draco had swooped down and had captured her lips with his own.

Hermione’s heart nearly stopped. She felt her stomach explode with a thousand butterflies and her knees almost gave away as Draco pressed his hand against the nape of her neck. He pulled her closer to him and all rational thoughts fled Hermione’s head. Her eyes fluttered to a close and she instinctively curled her arm around Draco’s neck; pulling his head forward. The kiss was intense, but sweet, and Hermione couldn’t get enough.

Adrenaline was pumping through Draco. How he had had the courage to kiss her in the first place was beyond him, but he didn’t care “ he was kissing her and she was kissing him back… with equal fervor. Hairs on the back of his neck were standing up and he felt tingles of pleasure course through his entire body. She tasted wonderful and her closeness was driving him over the edge. She was clinging onto him and Draco craved for more… more of this beautiful woman. He had never felt such a powerful connection like this before.

Draco slowly broke the kiss and rested his forehead against hers; taking in deep breaths. The two of them stood there like that for a couple of minutes before he gently cupped her face and dipped his head down for one last peck, whispering her name against her soft lips. “Hermione,” he murmured, drawing smooth circles with his thumb.

“Yes?” she managed to choke out, her heart racing and her mind still dizzy from the kiss.

“Hermione… I think,” Draco hesitated for a moment then said, “I think I’ve fallen for you.”

Hermione looked at him and for a second thought she had misheard what he had said. “What?” she asked in surprise, her eyes suddenly wide with fear.

“You know what I said,” Draco said slowly, trying to figure out her expression. “Is there something wrong?”

Hermione gently pushed his hands away and took a small step back from him; nervously chewing on her bottom lip. She looked at him with distress and Draco could only watch her with a mixture of both hurt and confusion. “Did I do something wrong?” he asked her once more, worry etched onto his features. “Tell me I -“

“No, it’s not that! It’s just…” Hermione took one more step away from him and gave him a pained expression. She hated herself for it, but she was absolutely terrified by Draco’s sincere words. She wanted to tell him so badly that it wasn’t his fault, but how could she explain her complex feelings? She liked him too, but the thought scared her more than she could stomach at this precise moment “ how could Draco possibly understand that?! After a long pause, Hermione finally whispered in an injured voice, “I’m so sorry, Draco.” And with that, she turned around and ran.
Chapter Endnotes: A/N:
Hey you guys!! Wow, it's been an awfully long time! I'm so sorry you had to wait for so long, but I truly didn't have much time on my hands to finish it. It's been a crazy year! Well I really hope you enjoyed the kiss scene you've all been waiting for...! I know the ending is rather disappointing and you just wish you could get your hands on Hermione for pulling such an act, but bear with me a little...! It had to be done in order for my next chapter to work. Anyway, I sincerely hope you liked the chapter! Please, please leave a review on your way out =D Oh, and it would be awesome if you left a critical comment - I think it's good to know what's weak and what's bad..! Thank you so much for being so patient! Credit goes to my BETA, simplyme, who has been just awesome! Thank you!