Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Getting to the truth by iceblue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 10: Hermione’s fear and the plan


At four-thirty, Harry was beginning to stir; he opened his eyes and he could see Hermione wrapped in his arms. She looked so peaceful, lying there, her arms wrapped around his back. He just lay there looking at her. Her head was on his chest and her bushy brown hair was covering her eyes. He slowly brushed away her hair to reveal two chocolate brown eyes staring at him.

“I’m sorry -- did I wake you?”

“No, I'd just woken up ... you?”

“The same.”

A cheeky smile spread across Hermione’s face.

“What are you smiling at?”

“Just the way you look when you wake up,” she started to laugh and playfully punched him. Harry’s hair was more untidy than normal. It was the first time they had awoken in each other’s arms like this, and they were looking at each other as to savour this moment forever.

“You look the same!” Harry just started to giggle. However, straight away he knew he had said the wrong thing when Hermione stared at him.

“So … you don’t like what I look like?” Hermione looked like she was on the brink of crying, her voice was barely audible. Harry was puzzled -- he did not know why she was reacting like this. He was just joking with her. He did not mean for her to take it literally.

“Hermione -- I did not mean it like that … I was just joking. Don't take it seriously. It’s just your hair is a bit messy, that’s all.”

“What do you mean ‘don't take it seriously’ … you said I was ugly!” Hermione stormed out of the room holding back her tears while Harry shouted after her.

“I did not say you were ugly,” it was too late -- Hermione was away up the stairs into her room, “you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen,” Harry finished in a whisper.

Harry sat, puzzled. Why did she react that way? They were just joking around with her. He could not understand what he had done. Even though they were linked by the Eros charm, he had not fully mastered it and could not tell what was upsetting her. All he wanted was to be there for her … to comfort her.

Hermione was sitting on her bed crying; she knew that Harry hadn't called her ugly, but she was worried that he would find her unattractive. She knew that Harry said she was beautiful, and that he loved her for more than what she looked like, but still, she couldn't help but be insecure.

"Pull yourself together, Hermione Granger. He loves you … he loves you with all his heart, and what you look like does not make any difference to him,” Hermione told herself, as if saying it aloud would restore her confidence. She gazed out the window and saw that the sun was beginning its descent toward the horizon on this summer evening, and realized she needed get ready to meet with Dumbledore.

She went to her closet and grabbed a fresh set of robes. When she had taken all her clothes off, she stepped in front of her full-length mirror and considered herself. She hated the way she looked … she hated looking at her self it made her feel ugly. Why would anyone love some one who looks like this? A tear dripped down Hermione’s cheek; it was soon followed by many more.

Her emotions took over, and she collapsed onto the floor. She was whimpering while tears flowed down her cheek … at that moment, she wanted to die … to end her misery and anguish. She knelt on the floor, naked, crying, her face in her hands. All she could think about was what would happen when Harry finally saw her naked. Would he laugh or just feel sorry for her? Either way, he would not want to be with her. Her body was dreadful and she wanted to change it. If there was one thing she could wish for it would have been to change her body. Every other girl in the school was beautiful -- more beautiful than she.

She lay there as long as she could without making herself late for Dumbledore. She did not want him or Harry knowing about this. She began to dress, thoughts racing through her mind. She knew that Harry would have to see her naked sometime, but she would just have to put it off … put it off for as long as possible. She was so scared of what he would think of her. Scared of his rejecting her. She knew she should tell Harry how she felt, but she felt so ashamed.

After she dressed, she went down to the common room to wait for Harry. She knew she would have to apologise for her behaviour, as he had done nothing wrong.

***


After Hermione had run out, Harry went to his room to change his clothes. When he returned to the common room, he saw Hermione sitting on a large chair in front of the fireplace, a solemn look on her face. He could tell she had been crying; he sat down beside her and wrapped his arms around her. Knowing that he had upset her made him fell awful … as if he would never be happy again. He had to make up with her.

“Hermione -- I am truly sorry … I never meant to upset you. Please forgive me, Hermione.”

Hermione looked at him, knowing that she would have to tell him how she felt at some point -- but not now; she needed time to think.

“Harry…you have nothing to be sorry for -- it’s me. I cannot talk about it now ... maybe tomorrow," she sighed. "I need time to think. Please do not try to find out any other way. I will tell you when I am ready.”

Harry could tell she was upset about something but thought it was best to let it lie until she was ready to confide in him. He did not want to upset her anymore than he already had.

“I can wait … just as long as you are not angry with me. I love you and cannot bear the thought that I have upset you. I promiseI will not try to find out if you do not want me to. We are still entitled to out privacy, after all.”

“Oh, Harry, you have not upset me -- it is me; just forget it for now. We will talk tomorrow, I promise. Thanks for being so understanding,” she smiled at him and could tell he felt better.

Hermione fell into her thoughts, reflecting on what had just happened in her room. Would he really disown her when he saw her naked? He was sitting right beside her with his arms wrapped around her. He truly loved her, didn’t he? What her body looked like would make no difference, would it? She wanted more than anything to believe he would love her no matter what she looked like.

But then what about Cho? she thought. She is beautiful, and Harry could have any number of women. But he chose me, her thoughts began dueling. He never loved Cho -- he loves me. Yeah, loves. He will see me naked, and it will be the past. What I look like does not matter to him -- he loves me for who I am, not what I am.

One final question played on Hermione’s mind: Did he really, really love her? In the bottom of his heart, did he love her -- actually love her? Yes! she realized. The Eros charm has proved this. I am just being stupid -- I love him and he loves me! But what about …

Dumbledore entering the room interrupted Hermione’s thoughts. The look on Harry’s face was that of sheer concern … concern for Hermione. He knew something was wrong, but he did not know what. She looked so depressed … so shamed of something. He could not imagine what it could be -- to him, she had nothing to be ashamed of. I will just have to wait and see, he resigned himself.

“Harry, Hermione … you know why I am here?”

“Yes, professor.”

“Have you rested?”

“We have been asleep and feel refreshed,” Hermione spoke this time.

“Very well. I will begin by trying to enter your minds. It is important that you try your hardest to keep me out. Do not under any circumstances use a wand. When Voldemort enters your mind, you will have no wand to protect yourselves."

“How are we supposed to …” Hermione was cut off by Dumbledore.

“Keep me out? Well you have to concentrate on the memory you want me to see. The one memory. By doing this I will not be able to see any other. However, it will take time. I will more than likely get in the first several times, but this is to be expected. Are you ready?”

Harry and Hermione held each other tightly. They were looking into each other’s eyes.

That last thing they heard was professor Dumbledore saying, "Legilimens."

They were on the Hogwarts Express heading to school. Hermione had just repaired Harry’s glasses and was leaving the compartment … then they were at the Dursleys’. Harry was standing in the living room with thousands of letters flying toward him. He grabbed on and ran for it … They were in a shop with Hermione and her mother, looking for clothes ...

Harry and Hermione were using all their strength to stop the intrusion, but they could not find any strength. The last memory was embarrassing for Hermione, and Harry could feel the embarrassment building within her. They pushed harder and harder to stop Dumbledore's seeing this. Somehow Harry knew what was about to happen. He did not want to see this and embarrass Hermione ...

They finally managed to push Dumbledore out. But they had failed he had seen many memories. They were both disappointed, and Dumbledore could tell by the look of sheer disappointment of their faces.

“Do not be ashamed. That was excellent for a first attempt. I am glad you stopped me there … I would have exited your mind if it went any further. I do not wish to embarrass you. ”

Hermione blushed, as she did not want anyone to see what happened next. Not even Harry. She was ashamed. Harry knew what he had been about to see, but could not fathom why she had been so embarrassed.

“Hermione … ” Harry did not continue as he could see Hermione’s face. She did not say a word, but he knew not to push the subject and that she would tell him when he was ready.

“Another go before we call it a night,” Dumbledore interrupted their thoughts.

Again, they were going through their minds but this time they only saw one memory. It was not the one they wanted; but at least they had managed to limit it to one. Both Hermione and Harry were ecstatic -- they had nearly done it. However, they were exhausted, and Dumbledore managed to break in again after a minute. It had taken a lot out of both of them.

“Harry, Hermione I am very proud of you. You nearly have it. With more practice, you will be able to master it. Now go to bed and get some rest. You will need it.”

They nodded, rose and made their ways upstairs to Hermione’s room.

***

When Professor Dumbledore arrived at his office, he found Minerva sitting in the chair opposite his desk, which was particularly cluttered by many magical objects.

“Good evening, Minerva,” Dumbledore said as he gave her a quizzical look.

“Good evening, Albus. How did it go with them. Are they all right? Will they be able to cope with what is ahead?”

“They should be fine. For a first attempt, they did very well, but they need to build up their strength.”

“Did you tell them the plan?”

“How could I … how could I say we are using them as bait? That they will have to fight Voldemort sometime this year? I could not do it. Not yet. It is best they work hard in training. The plan would weaken them. They will be told when they need to be, but for now, I will not. In addition, the Eros charm must be kept secret. As Ms. Granger pointed out, they need somewhere to sleep, as they need to be together. Have any suggestions?”

“Not really. If they were a year older, they could become head boy and girl ..."

“I thought we might use the head boy and girl dormitories, as we have put lots of spells around it to protect them. We will have no head boy and girl at Hogwarts this year.”

“This will look too suspicious -- no head boy and girl?” Minerva was shocked by this.

“Not suspicious at all. There have been years in the past when we have not had one. This year will be the same. You know what I am talking about -- it happened about 30 years ago.”

“How could I forget?" she sighed. "Just make sure you know what you are doing. I had better be getting along.” Minerva was just getting up to leave when Dumbledore spoke.

“Wait, professor, there is something else; you will have to teach Harry and Hermione to be animagi,” Dumbledore could tell he had shocked her again.

“I … I can’t -- they are too young. It is against the law. You know it is!”

“That as it may, they need to know … it is for their protection. You know that in battle it is an advantage that they need.”

“What else are you planning to teach them?”

“They will be taught fighting techniques by Alistair, disguise by Tonks, defence by Lupin, animagi transformation by you and, finally, Occlumency and Legilimency by me. They will be more than prepared to take on Voldemort within a few months.”

“Albus, this is all well and good but do we have months? Voldemort is looking at five days. What makes you think he won’t come straight away?”

“He is not stupid, he knows he needs surprise, and that comes with time. He will expect security to become more lax as time goes on, and it will. Or it would seem. He will not strike until we are ready. He may think he has the upper hand, but in reality, we do. As you know this is one of the most important things to have in battle.”

“You have obviously thought about this. When do you want me to start teaching them?”

“Straight after Voldemort gets the information. Until then, I will teach them. There is also one more thing I have to ask you.”

“Yes?” McGonagall looked worried. Did he want her to break even more wizarding laws?

“What do you know about season magic?”

“You're not saying … that … that they can do it. It is impossible. No one in over three-thousand years has been able to do it.”

“While I was in their mind, I saw something. Something they could not; but it was there. They have the ability to use season magic.”

McGonagall was taken aback. She took a moment to consider this news, then she spoke, “Well -- I know that it is the most powerful branch of magic there is. I have a very old book that describes what can be done with it. But we must be careful … you don’t think this is what the prophecy is about so you ‘power he knows not?’”

“I think it could be. I must find out how they got this power.”

“Is it in their blood? You know the last with and wizard to have this power also had the Eros charm. Do you think they are related?”

“I do not know yet -- it certainly could be, but we must not tell anyone. I would appreciate it if you could trace Hermione’s bloodline. I will trace Harry’s. We must find out how they have this magic. It is crucial to their -- and our -- success.”

Minerva nodded.

With that, she left the headmaster’s office, she was not entirely convinced about the plan, but she had to trust him. She was going to break the law, teaching two sixteen-year-olds how to transform into animals ... and they had season magic. It is for the best, she thought to herself. If it saves their lives, then it will be worth it.

***


Author's note:
This story has nothing to do with J.K. Rowling or Warner Bros.
Again thanks to everyone who has reviewed. Please continue reviewing if you like the chapter. Also big thanks to Steph (moderator) for taking the time to moderate the story. One more thing, after the next chapter I will have to take a break from writing the story becasue of my A Level modular exams in January. I will be able to post chapter 11, but 12 will not be uploaded until the end of January/beginning of February. PLEASE REVIEW!