Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Getting to the truth by iceblue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 20: The potion (part 2)


Harry was frantically checking to see if she had died - as far as he could tell she was still breathing and had a pulse. But why was she just lying there all limp in his arms? Something had happened to her but what? Harry knew he would have to go to the library - but he could not leave her. So he gathered Hermione up into his arms and thought about the restricted section of the library and in a circle of flames he had vanished from the common room and was in the library. He placed Hermione on the floor after performing a cushioning charm.

Looking through books, which were about Season magic and some of the effects it has on people’s bodies Harry was able to find a few paragraphs, which described the symptoms, which Hermione had.

While performing Season magic, especially while learning, it is common for people to become extremely tired - this causes their whole body to shut down except for vital functions. The person will not be able to wake up until their body has been able to recover from the large amount of magical energy, which has been drained from them.

However, there is also another way of reviving the patient; a simple pepper up potion administered should have the patient awake within half an hour. It is vitally important that the patient rest for at least twelve hours after taking the potion. To prevent this from happening in the future it is important to gradually build up the use of powerful spells. Once this is done this will not occur in the future.

The only other explanation for someone in this condition is that they have become ‘lost’ while the two bodies have been connected. This infrequently happens and when it does it is to a person who has had little experience with this type of magic. The only known way of bringing this person back to life is through a complex spell can be found on page 56.


Harry read the last paragraph in horror. What would happen if this is what had happened to Hermione. All he could do is hope that by giving her a pepper up potion she would come round. Once again taking her body in his arms, he transported them to the infirmary. When he arrived he was frantically searching the cupboard where the potions were stored. He could hardly think of anything else other thank finding this potion and trying to revive Hermione. When he finally found the potion which was incidentally right at the back of the top shelf, which he had serious trouble reaching he transported them to their bedroom. He changed Hermione into her pyjamas; her body was stone cold. Her face was all white and she was lifeless. If it were not for the faint pulse he could feel he would have thought she was dead. He gently lifter her head from the pillow and rested it in his arms. His thumb slowly opened her mouth and poured the potion in.

After all the potion had gone he held her in his arms hoping that she would wake up soon. His hands began to play with the small pieces of hair around her face, which was void of any expression. A small tear began to trickle down Harry’s face, as there was no sign of Hermione beginning to wake. The first was followed by more until he saw her eyes begin to flutter open.

“Mione” He whispered. His voice was all chocked from crying.

Hermione could not speak; all she could do was nod. Her head felt like it was going to explode. She could not find her voice - when she attempted to speak all that was head was a small squeak. Her mouth was all dry she could barely keep her eyes open. She really wanted a cold glass of water.

Harry was so happy to have her back be softly kissed her lips. Hermione gave him a small smile and tried to tell Harry she wanted a glass of water. Even though she could not speak, Harry knew what she wanted. He always did. So thinking about an ice-cold glass of water, he conjured one. It appeared right in front of him on the bed in a circle of bright red flames. Hermione tried to pick up the glass but found she was too weak and it nearly fell. Luckily, for her Harry was able to get a hold of the glass, he then slowly put it against her lips and she slowly drank. Her throat was beginning to feel a lot better but she still had a splitting headache. After drinking the water, Hermione settled herself in Harry’s arms, snuggled into his chest, and fell asleep knowing she was safe. Harry just lay there with Hermione in his arms - waiting for her to wake.

***


Hours later Hermione awoke to find Harry asleep and that she was in his arms. She could hardly remember what had happened; only waking up to Harry and him kissing her, a glass of water and falling asleep. She needed to know what had happened to she began to run her fingers along the nape of Harry’s neck. In turn, Harry began to rouse, when his eyes fluttered open he saw Hermione staring lovingly at him.

“Mione?” Hermione smiled and leaned forward so her lips gently brushed against his.

“Are you feeling all right? You scared me you know.” Harry’s voice was full of concern. Hermione could tell he must have been worried about him. She knew that if it were the other way around she would have been.

“Stop worrying about me. What happened anyway?” Her voice was still a little bit croaky but other than that you would not be able to tell anything had happened.

“When we went back to normal you were just all limp - you were still breathing and everything but you were not there. I was so worried. I went to the library and found out that it could have been one of two things. Luckily it was the first. It said you had used so much magical energy that you were very tired.” Hermione was beginning to look worried. Would this happen all the time?

Harry knew what was going through her mind and put her mind to rest. “It said that with practice this will not happen again.” Hermione let out a sigh of relief; all she would have to do is practice some more.

“I will have to hurry up and build my strength up then, or the potion and spell will not work. Oh, speaking of the potion we should go and check on it. Just to make sure that nothing has gone wrong.”

“What could have gone wrong Mione? There is no one who could have possibly touched it.”

“We should just make sure that it is at the correct temperature and the colour is right. You know how important it is that we make no mistakes while doing this potion.” Harry nodded his head. He knew Hermione must have been feeling better; she was now beginning to think about work again.

***


The next few weeks flew by; Harry and Hermione were busy brewing the potion and working hard on building up Hermione’s power. She thought she was just about there and it was good timing as the potion was going to be ready in an hour. The last hour of brewing saw Harry and Hermione sitting around the cauldron crossed legs slowly adding the ingredients double-checking everything. Hermione had not stopped hammering home that it was vital that everything went well and that no mistakes would be made.

“Are you ready Harry - once we add this final ingredient we will not have much time. We have to be sure that we are ready.”

“I am ready Mione.” Hermione smiled and added the final ingredient as Harry stirred the potion very slowly. After five minutes of stirring, they poured the potion into two viles and began to drink the think brown liquid. As soon as it hit their tongues they begin to retch. The potion definitely tasted dreadful, but they knew what they had to do. They would have to restart time and if this is what they would have to do then they would have to do it.

After the potion had been downed it was time to perform the most important part, they would have to cast a spell on each other at the exact same time for this to work. Once the spell was cast they would have to join their minds and think very hard about what they wanted the new spell to do. After this, they would create the name and the incantation for it. They were not sure about what would happen after this, as the book had not stated it, so they were in for a surprise.

Harry and Hermione both looked at each other and joined the tips of their index fingers together and muttered the incantation. A bright blue light erupted from the point where there fingers were joined. They could feel the sickly feeling, which they first had while drinking the potion return. Only this time it was ten times stronger and they could feel the potion running through their blood. It was going through them it was flowing through the point where their fingers were joined. It was taking all of their strength not top collapse from the immense pain, which was now cursing through them.

Hermione was struggling to keep count, she would have to join their minds at the correct point or they would not come through this alive. Only another five seconds and hopefully all of the pain would stop. It was unbearable - there was a sharp throbbing in the back of her head, which would rush around her body, and then there was her index finger. The blue light had not disappeared it had done the opposite. It was getting brighter by the second and every time it would become brighter the sharp stabbing pain would increase.

Only one second and she would be able to join with Harry, they would be able to comfort each other as they think about what they want the spell to do. It was now time she concentrated on being with Harry, she said the incantation as quickly as she could. The pain was now increasing faster and faster but suddenly all that was gone. She was with Harry. They were one again. The familiar feelings from the past few weeks were back.

When they were joined like this it was perfect, but she did not have time for this she had to think about the spell and what needed to be done. There would be plenty of time for that after they had finished this.

“Harry”

“I am ready Mione. Shall we begin?”

“Yeah, start to think about what we want the spell to do and you can remember the incantation we agreed can’t you.” Harry smirked. Even though he was not in his body, she could tell.

“Yes, let’s begin.”

They thought long and hard about a spell, which would give them the ingredients, which were required for any potion. The incantation they had chosen. Once they had done this, they were sent back to their bodies with an immense amount of force. There was nothing gentle about this spell.

After a few minutes, they were starting to recover from the effects of the potion and the spell. As soon as they did, their lips met in a frenzy of kissing and touching. They could not get enough of one another. Hermione did not care that they were on the stone floor and that it was hard and cold. All she cared about was Harry. Her tongue ran across his lips beginning for him to open up for her. He did without question and she could taste the familiar taste of Harry.

Whilst still having just a little bit of coherent though Harry transported them back to their bed where they carried on as if nothing had happened.

***



When Harry and Hermione finally awoke, they found themselves in each other’s arms both thoroughly happy that they had been able to come one-step closer to restarting time again. All that was needed was to test the new spell which they had made. When Hermione had fully awoken, she began to wake Harry up. He was still half-asleep and she thought how cute he looked when he was not asleep but he was not fully awake either. As her lips touched his, he opened his eyes and began to smile into the kiss. His arms came up and went around her body pulling her closer to him. In turn, her hands began to play with the small pieces of hair on the back of his neck.

When Hermione’s tongue entered Harry’s mouth, they both let out a moan as they revelled in the feelings they were creating for each other. As their relationship and magical skill had progressed, they were able to know exactly what they other wanted.

When they eventually managed to drag themselves out of the bed and then the shower, they went to the common room where they ate.

“Are you ready to give this spell a go Harry?” Harry smiled and nodded his head. They were both now eager to see if all of their hard work had paid off.

Standing in the middle of the common room, they began to think about all of the names of the ingredients they would need to make the potion, which would eventually restart time. Their was no doubt in their minds that they would be able to brew this potion of they had all of the ingredients, because they potion which they had just made was far more complicated than the one which they now had to make.

Once they had both thought about the ingredients and what they would be used for their joined their hands and said the incantation which they had thought of. Then out of nowhere, there was a yellowish light, which created a dome like shape on the ground below them. Once the yellow light had faded, they could see all of the ingredients they wanted on a wooden tray - they were also all prepared.

The feelings, which ran through them at the sight of this, were amazing. They truly had achieved something and showed them that if they worked hard enough they would be able to achieve what they wanted. This brought them even closer to being able to restart time.

At the same time, they both ran to each other, arms open wide wanting to be with the other. As their bodies met so did their lips with frenzied kisses. You would have thought they had not kissed for weeks not just half an hour ago. But they had no control over the emotions which they were experiencing, because of the way in which the spell had been created it made them want to be with each other. They had found that as they progressed with Season magic that they needed to be closer together and that this was the nature of the magic, which they were learning.

As their tongues came in to contact with the other their arms wrapped around each other. Hermione’s going around Harry’s neck and Harry’s around her waist. They were both pulling the other closer to themselves. Wanting to minimise the gap between them as much as they could. It would have been impossible for their bodies to be any closer than they were at that moment.

After a long time of kissing which quickly turned into more they were ready to start to brew the potion, which would restart time. Hermione had researched the topic thoroughly and found that they should be able to take a few short cuts in the brewing of the potion with the right spells. Because this potion was not deadly if it went wrong, she was willing to give it a go. With the short cuts, they should be able to brew the potion in a few hours.

Once the cauldron was set up and most of the ingredients were added it was time to try one of the spells, which Hermione had found, which would quicken up the whole process.

“Just stand over the cauldron and say the words ‘accelero advenio’ and then we should be able to drink the potion and say the spells which will hopefully all going well restart time. As Harry said the incantation, the potion began to spin around in the cauldron and as this happened Hermione had a huge grin on her face. It had worked. Just as the book had said. Everything was going well.

Once this had stopped they would have very little time to take the potion so that over with they split it into cups and began to drink. It definitely tasted a lot better than the last one but still worse than many other’s they had taken. Suddenly the room began to spin, everything went into complete darkness. Hermione knew what this meant and at the top of her voice she shouted ‘abhorreo distinction ab’. The darkness slowly turned to light and the spinning began to slow. When they eventually stopped they were greeted with the confused faces of both professor McGonagall and Dumbledore. Both Harry and Hermione knew that they would have some explaining to do.

Just as Dumbledore began to speak, there was the sound of a huge explosion somewhere near the dungeons. Both Harry and Hermione began to grin wickedly. Hermione’s plan to get Snape had worked after all.

A huge thanks to every one ho has reviewed the story so far. Also thanks to Melissa for getting this chapter back to me so quickly. Please read and review!