Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Getting to the truth by iceblue

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 21: First steps to forgiveness


Just as Dumbledore began to speak, there was the sound of a huge explosion somewhere near the dungeons. Both Harry and Hermione began to grin wickedly. Hermione's plan to get Snape had worked after all.

Dumbledore looked at Harry and Hermione as if he was expecting them to say something. He arched his eyebrows and continued to look at them. Hermione knew she would have to say something as both Professor McGonagall and Dumbledore were looking at them expectantly.

"This is hard to explain - do you remember anything?" Hermione was hoping they would have some idea about what had happened; but judging by the look on their faces they did not.

Dumbledore was the first to speak. "May I ask what has happened to Professor Snape's office? It would seem that there was some sort of explosion and by the looks on your faces you had something to do with it."

Harry and Hermione just looked at Dumbledore. They did not want to admit to what they had done but it was obvious that he already knew or that he knew they had something to do with it. After a few minutes of silence in which Harry and Hermione were frantically trying to figure out what they should say, Hermione spoke first.

"I think we should start at the beginning - when we went to the grave the Death Eaters came, we did not know what to do. But something just sort of happened, we did not do it on purpose but...well we sort of paused time." Both Harry and Hermione could see the look of shock in the Professor's eyes and hastily continued "We were both shocked and had no idea what we had done. I mean it's not as though we meant to do it or anything; it just sort of happened "

As Hermione said this as a very angry Professor Snape entered the room "Things just seem to happen quite often to you, don't they?" Snape snarled the comment. This had the effect of making Hermione blush, but to Harry it just made his anger begin to rise, his anger did not begin the disappear until he heard Hermione's voice in his mind calming him down.

Acting as if Snape had not entered the room, Hermione continued, but she could not help but smirk at his appearance. Even though he had not physically sustained any injuries his robes were ruined, Hermione doubted he would be ever able to get the mess out.

"After we realised what had happened, we decided we should return to Hogwarts, to see if we could figure out how to sort the whole situation out. When we got back we soon realised that the potion which we needed to make had ingredients which were not available to us." At this point Harry began to speak.

"So we decided that the best thing to do would be to create a spell which would give us the ingredients we needed. But it has taken a while; although you feel as though no time has passed quite a lot has to us. But we managed to master Season Magic to a high enough level to complete the spell and the potion. Which brings us to where we are now."

All three Professors were standing not quite believing what they had been told, or what they should do next. Snape was the first to speak.

"Why did you change the ingredients for my potion?" He demanded. "And while you are at it who said you could use any of my person ingredients? I have never given you permission to use them!"

Harry's anger was now beginning to boil over and no matter how much Hermione tried to calm him down she was unable.

"What were you doing brewing an illegal potion?" Harry shouted at Snape. "And if we had not used the ingredients, do you think you would be here now?" Hermione grabbed Harry's hand and tried everything to calm him down, she didn't know what he would do if he was unable to get control of his rising temper.

Slowly Harry began to gain control of his anger but not before, he sent jets of water flying towards Snape. Snape created a shield but the water simply passed through it, hammering Snape into the wall because of the force behind it.

Dumbledore after seeing what had happened realised that Harry had become much stronger and, if his hunch was right, so had Hermione. The two teenagers stood rooted to the spot as Dumbledore tried to clear away the water on the floor, without any success. For some reason it would not move. Hermione simply moved her hand and muttered a charm and the water began to trickle away into the stone floor. Both professors who were still conscious were amazed at the level of power Hermione had.

"I see you have both become much more powerful. It is now more important than ever that you gain control over your powers and..." Dumbledore was now interrupted by Fawks landing on his shoulder with a letter. Opening it Dumbledore became angry.

"It would seem that the ministry has detected that you have stopped and restarted time. I am not sure if you are aware that it is illegal to do this and you have both been summoned to appear at a hearing which will take place tomorrow."

Harry and Hermione were shocked - they were rooted to the floor. They wouldn't move. Harry remembered the last time he was at a trial at the Ministry. He got off, but would it be the same this time? After thinking about it thought that, it really did not matter. Like they would be able to take him away to Azkaban.

"Harry, do not think like that!" Hermione scolded him.

"I can guess what you were thinking Harry, and I must ask that you keep control of your temper. It will not help if you go in there and hex everyone."

Harry looked directly into Dumbledore's eyes " I will control my temper but only if they do everything by the book and actually listen to what we have to say, or I will make them listen."

"Harry. You can not go and injure the people in the court." Hermione shrieked. She did not know what was happening. Everything had been so relaxed and calm while time had been stopped. But now, everything had changed. They were in so much trouble now and Harry was getting angry at the situation they were in. She could see why she was angry, hell she was angry but at least she was able to control it.

"Who said anything bout injuring them? I will jut make them listen."

Dumbledore knew that there was nothing he would be able to say or do that would stop Harry from forcing them to listen, but did have one request. "Would you please make a wizard's promise that you will not injure anyone? And I mean anyone."

"I can't, because of Malfoy shows up I'm not sure what will happen." Dumbledore looked taken aback, but he knew what Harry meant.

"Well then promise that you will not injure anyone who is not a Death Eater, and you will only react to a situation and not start one."

Harry knowing that he would not have any choice over this, begrudgingly agreed. Hermione breathed a sign of relief.

"Now what exactly did you do to Professor Snape?"

Hermione answered the question, explaining the potion was creating and the ingredients they changed. Dumbledore just nodded and said that he would sort it out. They were told to be in his office at nine in the morning the next day so they could go to the Ministry.

***


Later on in the afternoon, after Hermione had spend most of the day in the library, again researching everything she could about wizarding courts (according to her Hogwarts library contained books she had not read the previous year), while Harry sat in their common room and read Quidditch Through the Ages. Even though he was nervous about what was going to happen in the morning he was also quit calm. There was one significant difference between the last time he was summoned to a wizarding court - this time Hermione would be there, and he knew as long as he was with Hermione, everything would be fine.

About half an hour after Hermione had returned from the library with a few select books to read, they were surprised to see Ron walk into the room. Harry and Hermione who had been lying on the settee together sprung apart and sat there nervously. This was the first time they had seen him since hospital. There was an uncomfortable silence, which was broken by Ron once he had sat opposite Harry and Hermione.

"Hermione, I am so sorry for the way I reacted and what I did to you. There was no excuse for what " Ron was interrupted by Hermione

"You're right Ron, there was no excuse, none at all." Hermione said, rather harshly

Ron began to blush because of Hermione's response. But he thought to himself that this was to be expected. After what he had done to her, it would not be easy to make it up to her and Harry; but he would try his best. He knew that he needed his two best friends back, he also knew that something was going on between them; something they were keeping from him but they did not trust him. He knew that he would have to gain their trust again - no matter what he would have to do.

"I am not sure what I can do to show you how sorry I really am Hermione, but tell me and I will." Hermione made to interrupt but Ron said "Please don't, I really need to say this. While I was in hospital, it gave me time to think. You see I had always liked you and well...I had hoped that you would like me. Please just listen. "

"And well, when you and Harry came to tell me you were going out, I don't know what happened. I just sort of lost it - it was like I had lost all control, you have to understand that I am truly ashamed because of what I done. I know it will take time for you to forgive me and I accept that but please let me try and make it up to you. You never know we may be able to forget about this one day."

Harry and Hermione were stunned, they were not used to Ron talking to them like this - he was being deadly serious, not his usual joking self, but mature and serious. They could both see how hard he was trying to make up with them but Hermione did not know what to say. She would have to think about it and talk to Harry.

"I know there is something going on between you two - something that you feel you can't tell me, but I really do want to help. I know it has something to do with your relationship because I overheard a conversation my mum and dad were having."

"Ron - you have to understand that it is going to take us time to talk about this. In the end, it is up to Hermione, and yes there is something and I think it best you not know yet. We will have to talk about this sometime; but not now, we have a long day tomorrow but how about you come back in a few days once we have talked things through?"

Ron knowing that this was more than he could ask for from them, bid them fair well and left for the Burrow. Once Ron had left Hermione rested her head in the crook of Harry's neck, and Harry's arms encircled her and held her tight to him.

A while later they were summoned to Dumbledore's office for afternoon tea, which was a first for both of them. They sat at his desk while he served them tea and cucumber sandwiches and discussed what he thought would happen in the morning, but Harry and Hermione knew there was something else - there was something he wanted to say but it was as if he was unsure how to say it. After a few minutes more they found out what it was when he said the words

"I hear Ron came to visit." Dumbledore was eying to pair as he said those words, wanting to see their reaction. But he was disappointed to see that very little emotion was shown.

"You know that you will eventually have to forgive him, don't you? He is going to be very important in the war, you three have always been close, and even though you two have become considerably closer, you still need him. You all bring your own qualities and in the end, Ron will be very important to the success of the war. I truly hope you can find it in your hearts to truly forgive him for what he has done, the fate of the Wizarding and Muggle world depends upon it.

"That nicely brings me to another point - the Muggle world. Hermione, the situation with your parents can not continue much longer. You will have to talk to them, the sooner the better. They have returned home even though I told them how dangerous it is. I was thinking that once Grimmauld Place is finished, they could live there through out the war, but until then they can live here. But you will have to convince them Hermione, and the sooner the better. Their lives depend upon it. It has come to our attention that there is a plot to kill a muggle family and this could be your parents."

Hermione let out a gasp of shock, she was not getting along with her parents at the moment, but she would never want them dead.

"I think it would be best that you go there right now and return to my office with them. You must make them see, Hermione, for your sake as much as theirs. Neither you or Harry would be able to forgive yourselves if they died in this way."

Both Harry and Hermione's mind were spinning with all of the information they had been given in the past forty-five minutes, but they knew they would have to talk about Ron later and that they would have to get Hermione's parents to see and return to Hogwarts.

"I will see you later."

Harry and Hermione have Dumbledore a weak smile and then, within a ring of fire, they were gone and appeared in Hermione Granger's Muggle bedroom. The sheer number of books, which were crammed into the room, amazed Harry; he had seen the room in Hermione's memories but the number of books did overwhelm him a bit. They were crammed onto shelves, which were all over the walls. The walls were painted yellow and her bed stood in front of the window. But even though the room was undoubtedly cluttered with books, it was also clean and tidy.

Hermione could hear what was going through Harry's mind and blushed slightly then clasped his hand in hers and dragged him down the stairs to where her mother and farther were, having heard someone come down the stairs.

Both Harry and Hermione could tell that Mr. and Mrs. Granger were shocked to see Harry and Hermione walking down the stairs of their house.

"WHAT IS HE DOING IN MY HOUSE?" bellowed Mr. Granger, pointing at Harry.

Quit calmly Hermione responded, "To save both your lives. I think we should go to the sitting room don't you?"

Mr. and Mrs. Granger were shocked by the calmness in their daughter's voice. Hermione led Harry into the sitting room, the Grangers following, still shocked.

After everyone was seated, Harry and Hermione on the settee and Mr. and Mrs. Granger sitting in two separate chairs.

"Would you like to explain why you are here?" Mrs. Granger said very harshly. "You know what we think of your relationship."

Hermione was struggling to keep calm, but Harry was helping her.

"We are here to stop you being blown into tiny little pieces by Voldemort."

"You can't possibly be serious - why would he want us dead?" responded Mr. Granger having calmed down a little, after all his doctor had said he should not become stressed - it was bad for his heart.

"Because you are muggle and my parents." Hermione said simply looking her father in the eye.

"What difference would that make?" He asked.

"Because he hates muggles, and I am as he says a 'mudblood' and also with Harry."

"AHA, THAT'S THE PROBLEM, HIM!" he shouted again, rising from his chair.

"Farther, you had better calm down now, or I will be forced to freeze you again. But this did not have the effect she had doped for. Rolling her eyes she sent a stream of water towards her farther which on contact froze him, making him look slightly blue.

Hermione's mother let out a shriek. She was shocked which the ease at which Hermione was able to do this.

"He's fine - he can still hear us, he just can't interrupt. I warned him but he did not listen.

"Now there are some things you should know - things I have not told either of you. No matter if I was with Harry or not, Voldemort would still be after me, because of who I am."

"What exactly are you?"

"Well, it's a bit hard to understand but there is this whole thing in the wizarding world about 'purity of blood' and those who are not pure blood should not be able to perform magic."

Hermione could see the cogs turning in her mother's head.

"A bit like Limpieza de Sangre?"

Hermione was not surprised with this reference, and was happy her mother had made it; maybe it would help her to understand.

"Yeah, like that. Anyway, because I am muggle born according to them I am not as good as them. Which complete rubbish but that is their beliefs. Voldemort was defeated by Harry when he was a baby - because of his mother's love for him who died saving him. Anyway, to cut a long story short, ever since we started Hogwarts he has been trying to get Harry and return to full power.

"I, along with you are now involved and I would have it no other way. If it were not for Harry, I would be dead now." Hermione seeing the look on her mother's face thought she should explain. "In my first year there was a troll which was let into Hogwarts, and it would have killed me if it were not for Harry."

"There have also been other times, but you will find them out later. But you have to understand the danger the two of you are in. You must leave the house. We can put charms on it, which may help, but they will not keep you completely safe. You must come to Hogwarts, for your own safety."

Hermione knew she was pleading and did not care - she just wanted to make them understand.

"What about our practice - we can't just leave it can we? I mean" Hermione interrupted her mother.

"Who says you'll be alive to have a practice if you don't come. There are some spells we will cast on the house and the practice which will keep them safe, but they have to be unoccupied, and if people come and go it weakens them."

Mrs. Granger was again processing all the information she was being given. It looked as though they had no choice. But there was still the matter of her daughter and boyfriend sharing a bed.

"What about you and Harry?" Hermione knew this would one up as well and sighed knowing she would have to tell them the truth, but also that it was not safe to say it here.

"We will tell you everything at Hogwarts - it is not safe here we need to leave quickly."

Mrs. Granger gave a small nod, saying she knew they would have to go. Hermione whispered an incantation and Mr. Granger unfroze and though he did not out up a fight about leaving, it was obvious that he was not best pleased with his daughter.

Wanting to leave as fast as they could Harry waved his hand and the belonging's the Granger's would be needing went up in flames to the cry of Mrs. Granger. Hermione explained that they had merely been transported to Hogwarts and they would see them soon enough.

To cast the protection spells on the house, Harry and Hermione joined hands, and looked into each other's eyes. Joining their minds as they had learned and they began to rise from the ground. Below them water. Fire and wind were swirling around and at the command of Harry and Hermione began to flow through the walls of the house, protecting it from anyone, which would try to enter or destroy the house. When they landed again they were met with the surprised look of Hermione's parents.

"How did you? When did you?" Mr. Granger was searching for words to describe which he had just witnessed, but he could not find any. It was by far the most amazing thing he had seen in his life so far. The way they were looking at each other, the power he could feel being emitted from them was unreal.

Harry brought him out of his thoughts and Hermione joining hands and beckoning the Granger's to do the same. They were a little reluctant at first but after Hermione had reassured them everything would be fine they did as they were told.

In no time at all they appeared to be in a waiting room of a dental practice, everything was tidy and in its place, not unlike Hermione's home.

"Is there anything you need?" Hermione asked.

"No," was the reply, and without waiting Harry and Hermione performed the same spell as they had the house and again the Grangers looked on in amazement as their daughter spun in the air with Harry as fire, water and wind swirled below. The effortless movements they made with their hands, and the way the elements followed their instructions was out of this word. Again the fire, water and wind began to flow into the walls, floors and ceilings of the practice protecting it from the world.

They transported themselves to Dumbledore's office as instructed and saw him sitting in his chair as if he was expecting them at that precise moment.

Author's note:
This has story has nothing to do with J.K.Rowling or Warner Bros.
Thanks to everyone who has reviewed so far. I am sorry for the long delay but I had some things going on. Hopefully the next chapter should be done soon. Thanks to Melissa for beta reading for me - she says she will beta read any stories for you. You can contact her at skyhighdreamer91@aol.com. Please read and review!