Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Beast and The War by Dragontamer1

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A little story to whom it may concern- which is probably very few people, but it is an interesting (though exhausting to tell) story, indeed. I'll go against my better judgment and tell you about it anyways. This story is about The Sphinx Science War. (I hope you’ve heard of it, supposing they still teach a history of magic at Hogwarts) It is about how my immature little brother started the Sphinx Science War and how yours truly put an end to it.

First of all, I am Robyn Diana Spot Scamander. Imagine, my name is Spot. You wouldn't believe how often my middle name was a point of very rude laughter when I went to Hogwarts. Horrible. Even my brother made fun of it, wouldn't you know. Of course you wouldn't, you don't know him well. That can be changed. His name is Boris (though everyone calls him Boar) Pan Bruno Scamander. Yes, I get Spot and he gets Bruno. Mum always favored him best, unfortunately. When we grew up, we both went into the same branch of science- Zoology. However, he studies all animals in general, while I naturally keep myself specific. I only study reptilians. But I can't convince him that that is too broad a topic. It's a fact, and I've told him so. 'It's an opinion' he says. But I know better.

You probably have no clue what life is like for me there and then. That's because you probably don't have a good history professor like Mr. Binns at Hogwarts. But he'll be dead by now. In any case, we were better off than the Muggles then- as always. Their current queen was Victoria. We wore sensible clothes, nothing like what you wear today. But life was always changing. Especially in London, which may have just gone through the biggest population boom in its history. It makes me glad that my researches take me away from that horrid city. The streets are simply vile, but I've escaped that urban setting.


In any case, what I'm trying to tell you is as story that starts with my brother, on front-page news. He claims to have discovered an odd animal, a mix between a griffin and a human in Egypt, which could have possibly been the basis of the Sphinx in Roman and Egyptian myth. Naturally, I know that my brother was pulling another stunt, trying to become famous. But the scientific community didn't believe that, and I wasn't going to try to convince them. But my brother was just being immature, as usual. But this immaturity would lead to The Sphinx Science War. Of course, this 'war' wouldn't start until a very… well, stupid, politician, by the name of Daemon Fudge.

As I mentioned before, Daemon was very stupid. But he was a candidate for whenever the next Minister of Magic came into office, and of course, he wanted to come across as smart. He had this idea in this head that he could look smart by pointing out anything that came to mind. So when my brother made this discovery, Daemon pointed out that Egypt, as part of the International Muggle Awareness and Human and Animal Protection Union, (IMAHAPU) was to discover all major species of animals and make sure they were not a threat, or invent some means of making them less threatening. But The Egyptians had not yet discovered this 'dangerous and uncontrollable beast that is clearly a threat to the Egyptian Muggle and Wizarding societies alike.' Daemon gave a long, violent speech about our safety and the rights of the Egyptians. You can imagine that the Egyptians did not take this lightly.

That's really how the story begins. But I feel that my civil duty was to do as much as I could to stop a terrible catastrophe from occurring, and with that silly idea in my head, I sought out an answer to my problems.
The next day, it was all over the news. Some were reporting that a war between Egypt and ourselves was possible, some claimed even inevitable. I knew this was all silly poppycock, all started by my little brother's immature attempt at fame. How could something so small start something as serious as a war? It gnawed in the back of my mind, though, because there are things just as bad as war.
Now, I'm a smart woman, and I know that the only way to avoid something major was to do some research, and all my studies led me to the same point. I was going to have to tell my brother about some of my ideas.


Dear Boris,
I truly cannot believe how you could do something to cause something as horrible as this. Have you read the Headlines? There talking about war! Not that you would have noticed, you're probably sulking off the money you've made from this big 'find.' I'm going to stop what you've started, and don't worry, I'm leaving before you can send an owl to talk me out of it.
~Robyn, unfortunately

P.S. I'm not telling you my plans.


But soon I received a letter of my own.

Dear Robyn,
First of all, may I remind you that I am highly intelligent, and only buy the best owls, and they can find you wherever you go. Secondly, Yes I do know that my discovery has led to some startling events, but it's the most you can expect of politicians. Thirdly, the sphinx was a real discovery, and does live in Egypt. Fourthly, I WILL find you.
~Boris, unfortunately.

P.S. I will know of your plans


At this point, I find it necessary to tell you of two more things. The first of which is a despicable character by the name of Margaret Jane Umbridge. This snotty, fat, high-class monster is Daemon Fudge's right hand woman, and almost as power hungry as him. She feels a need to inflict pain on other people. Umbridge is simply the snidest, crudest, ministry idiot out there. But she doesn't factor into the story just yet.
The second thing is a barbaric group of uncivilized people in Wales. We have managed to hide these cavemen like tribes from muggles, and keep them away from any wizard they might harm. One of the clans, the most famous one, is the Mallfouy clan. This is where I come in.

The main reason the Mallfouy clan is so famous is because of a problem it has been having recently. They claim that a monstrous beast had come to attacking their tribal areas. It is large and green with swooping wings and a long ferocious tail. Most people believed that there is nothing going on and that this is all part of their rituals- it wouldn't be the first time- but it had put them in the news often. These barbarians were my last hope.

My plan was, that if I discovered something big and dangerous here in Britain, then maybe we would lay off on Egypt. My guess is that this animal, if it exists, is some form of dragon, my specialty.


When I did arrive at the tribal grounds, the clan welcomed me with open arms. It took some time to finally understand their primitive language, but by using body language, I got the hang of it. My interview began.

I started by asking the Mallfouy whose hut I was sleeping in about the issue. I learned that the animal was indeed a dragon. It had green scales and a long tail that it would wind around huts as it lit fire to the village. It seemed that it lived in the mountains, but went down there to gather and eat sheep and large lambs. Soon the clan started keeping the sheep inside small huts and only letting them out to graze. But the dragon only tore up the huts.

Next I went to the clan leader and talked to him about it. He had sent many men to follow the beast whenever it attacked them, but the ones that survived only brought maps to the beast's cave, or information. They were all too scared to get near to the beast. In turn, I interviewed all those cowardly 'warriors.' Just like men. With several maps, water, food, and a reluctant guide, I prepared to search for the beast the next day.


When I woke the next morning, it wasn't what I expected. Before I could open my eyes I could smell smoke. The hut was burning! I ran outside. Smoke was everywhere, but I managed to see what was going on.

The fire was at every hut, burning and destroying everything. People were everywhere, too, running for their lives and herding distressed sheep out of the fire. I ran into the chief and asked if it was the dragon. He shook his head and told me a visitor from 'Loondon' (as he called it; he obviously meant London) had come and started it. That's when I saw her walk through the flames as the chief ran off to get his family.

She was a plump lady, with frizzy hair and a smirk on her face. I immediately knew who she was. Margaret Jane Umbridge.

It was a long time ago, but I can remember that toads exact words.

"I suppose that you are Robyn Diana Spot Scamander? (Here she gives me the ugliest smile I've ever seen) Funny, my dogs name is Spot. Well, I've been given permission from Daemon Fudge himself to seize you and take care of whoever is harboring you by any means necessary. (She smiled triumphantly as she looked around at the fire surrounding us. That toad.) You've been messing around in politics that a scientist like you shouldn't be concerned with. But I'm taking you to Fudge."

I simply punched her across the face and ran.


She wasn't the only visitor I got that day. Because as I was about to run into the mountains, I heard a shout from behind me.

"Robyn!"

I recognized that voice. I turned around in shock. It was my brother, Boris. The guy that started it all.


Boar had managed to find me and I reluctantly gave him a run down on my plan. I would have to go into the mountains to find the dragon with only one map, and now, my brother. So we began the hunt.


A day later, we had managed to find the dragon's cave- and several eggs. The dragon wasn't there, but it was probably off giving the Mallfouy clan trouble. We figured that if I went to the IMAHAPU in Britain, I'd be arrested on the spot. So Boar would take an egg there, and I'd take one Egypt.


There were some pretty harsh words between British and Egyptian politicians, but by some slim chance I (though my brother would say that he helped a lot) had managed to stop a major Cold War. I spent the rest of my life in Egypt, and my brother, who was living off the money from the sphinx 'find,' insisted that he didn't know where I was no matter how many times Margaret Umbridge interrogated him. Daemon Fudge never made it to office, but he swore that one day, someone in his family would. The Mallfouy clan survived the fire for the most part, and has gained fame- and money- from the incident. Both the eggs were successfully hatched, raised, and studied, and might even still be alive. So I've proved once again, that no one can stop Robyn Diana Spot Scamander when she wants something done. (Though my brother would insist he's the important one.)


----------------
Please R&R. I'm new to fanfiction and the truth would be appreciated.