Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Fading Into Grey by PuckerUpRemus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Letter from Sirius Black to Regulus Black
December 16, 1971

Reg,

Don’t be such a todger. There’s nothing in the garden. You probably just heard a bird or a squirrel or something and it’s nothing to be afraid of. If anything, Kreacher was probably trying to wind you up. I know a few good hexes now and I’ll get him for the both of us when I get home.

I don’t think I like living with three dorm mates. I miss having my own room. Potter gabs about Quidditch until the wee hours of the morning and our beds are right next to one another, Remus’s feet smell like Gran Irma, and Peter blows off in his sleep. I once counted nine times before I fell asleep! The twit eats beans and toast every day. It’s awful when he eats cabbage at dinner. Remember when we had to sit with Gran that one summer everyday after tea while she read to us? It smells that bad!

Classes are winding down. Nothing new except I earned more points (for bloody Gryffindor) in Transfiguration. I think that’s my favorite class so far. Of course, I lost more points because of that sodding detention. Mother sent another Howler. It wasn’t my fault. Even Potter said I was framed. Bella did it and when Professor Sinistra showed up, I was the one holding the bag. She’s going to get it at holiday. I wish we didn’t have to spend it with them, well at least not Bella.

Father finally wrote me a letter. He said he thinks it’s great I joined Slughorn’s club. He thought it was brill that I was asked. He told me I’m the youngest Black to join old Sluggy’s club. Brilliant, huh?

Do you know if you’re all coming to pick me up at King’s Cross? Mother didn’t say. I wish my punishment was over. I keep thinking about it. I’m sure my bum will never be the same again. I hope it’s that easy.

Sirius







Chapter Six


December 1971

“Do you know what you’re getting for Christmas?” James asked Sirius as they lay awake the last night of term. They were due to take the train to London tomorrow for the start of the winter holidays. As per usual, the two of them sat up late randomly discussing anything that came to mind “ which for James, Sirius was learning, was usually Quidditch. Remus and Peter had long ago fallen asleep.

“We celebrate Yule.” Sirius yawned widely. “Never done Christmas.”

“Do you still get presents?” James echoed the yawn.

“Regulus and I each get one gift,” Sirius answered. He sat up, leaned over the bed and grabbed one of his shoes off the floor and launched it across the room at a raucously snoring Peter.

“Oi!” Peter sat up, bleary eyed and baffled.

“Stuff it, Pettigrew!” Sirius hissed, “or I’ll never bloody get to sleep.”

Peter huffed, rolled over and covered his head with his patchwork quilt.

“Only one present?” James continued as if Sirius chucking a shoe at Peter were standard practice. “Is it something good?”

Sirius pulled a face. “It’s usually an heirloom or something with value to the family. Wish they’d get me something cool just once though, like a wizarding wireless. Maybe then I could hear songs off the records Remus’s mum gave him.”

“Probably not, that’s all Muggle music. We have a wireless in my da’s den, all they play is Weird Sisters and Hob Goblins and that sort…good stuff mind, but not Muggle.” James lifted up, punched his pillow to fluff it, and settled back down. “What sort of heirlooms do you get?” he asked, genuinely intrigued.

Sirius stretched languidly before answering. “Usually some old trinket or musty old book, sometimes clothing.”

“Clothing?” James asked horrified. “It’s bad enough my Auntie gives me socks each year.”

“It’s not so bad.” Sirius shrugged. “One year I got this great bloody sword, it was wicked, emeralds encrusted on the handle with the Black family crest carved into it. It was my great, great grandfather’s…” Sirius paused “…I think. Anyway, then my brother accidentally cut three of his fingers off with it.”
At James’s horrified look, Sirius shrugged and continued, “No worries, my mother put him right. He’s got all his fingers again. Anyway, my father took it and stuck it on the wall of his study.”

James, regaining his composure, simply nodded and smiled weakly.

“The next year I got my uncle Cygnus’s cloak he wore when he spoke against Muggle Rights, he was well famous for that speech and well…” Seeing James’s eyebrows shoot up under his fringe in shock, Sirius backtracked; “Err…that’s a long story. This year since my mum’s mad at me I’ll probably get a pair of my Gran’s old knickers.”

James snorted. “Bad luck, mate.”

“What sort of things do you get?” Sirius stretched and pulled a jumper off the floor and wiggled into it over his pajamas. The nights were getting very cold. Winter up north was very different than winter in London at Grimmauld Place. He rolled back around and faced James. James was still lying there with his hands behind his head. He eyed Sirius as if debating something, then shrugged.

“Oh, nothing I guess,” James said and rolled over so his back was to Sirius.

“Lying git.” Sirius threw his pillow and hit James in the back of the head. “C’mon, what do you get?”

James rolled back over, the mirror image of Sirius, lying on his side, elbow propped and head cupped in his palm with an odd expression on his face.

“What?” Sirius asked again.

James bit his lip as if he wasn’t sure he should continue. “Your family is a strange lot.”

“Don’t start that again, Potter!” Sirius warned, “or I swear I’ll…”

“Calm down,” James sighed as he pushed his glasses up his nose. He smirked and threw the pillow back at Sirius’s head. “I just mean it’s Christmas, time for fun things, not knickers or swords.”

“Knickers can be fun.” Sirius said with a waggle of his eyebrows and a sexual suaveness beyond his eleven years.

James cocked an eyebrow at his mate curiously then with a shake of his head decided it best to ignore him.

“What sort of things do you get then?” Sirius asked finally.

“The kind of stuff most kids get; holiday sweets and candy and pies, Fizzing Wizzbees, those fantastic floating sherbet balls, Ice Mice, exploding bon-bons, Christmas Crackers, and toys, top of the line broomsticks; that sort. A few years ago I got a Wizarding camera and last year a broom servicing kit and this toy wand that shot sparks out when I pointed it at my mum and a book of beginner spells.”

Sirius sat speechless for a moment. He’d never received such things for Yule…or ever. Toys and candy and noisy trinkets were not something you would find in the House of Black. He didn’t even know what a Christmas Cracker was. His mother would never stand for such tosh, he was sure or it. Sure he’d love to get those sorts of things but that was something his family never did. His Yule wasn’t so bad though. Potter made it sound as though he never received a thing. He got that sword and hadn’t he mentioned it was wicked?

Neither of them really knew what to say after that. Sirius could almost feel James’ eyes on him and it was making him feel awkward, like he was so different from all of them. Finally Sirius said he was tired and climbed in under his covers. He stared up at the red curtain canopy overhead for a long time then finally mumbled:

“Be cool to get a camera, I suppose.”

He rolled over onto his side so his back was to James before adding a mumbled, “G’night”.

Sirius was unaware of it, but James watched him thoughtfully until he fell asleep.


*~*~*~*


“I win, Potter, take that!” Sirius laughed as he laid his final card and it exploded unceremoniously in James’s face.

“Best of nine?” James suggested hopefully, waving the smoke from in front of his face. There was soot forming on the skin around his glasses from his continuous losses.

“We’re pulling into the station soon,” Peter pointed out as he watched the passing cityscape out of the cabin window.

“Remus, you feeling alright?” James asked as he and Sirius picked up the Exploding Snap cards.

Remus again was looking pale and peaky. He was using Sirius’s warm woolen cloak as a blanket and snuggled himself into a corner and had dozed off and on most of the trip.

“Yeah,” he smiled weakly and yawned. “I’ll be fine once I get some fresh air.”

“Sorry, mate.” James half smiled apologetically as he tried to wave the smoke out of the cabin.

As the train pulled into Kings Cross, the boys gathered their things. Sirius could feel the excitement in the cabin, he himself was eager to see Regulus and show him all the cool things he’d learned. He missed his parents too, but he wasn’t looking forward to seeing them and finally accepting the pending punishment that had been brewing since his Sorting in September. But, it was Yule. Perhaps his mother would let it slide just this once.

Right.

He followed his three friends off the train; Peter first, then Remus, James and finally himself. Remus eyed his parents immediately and mumbled a shy goodbye before clumsily dragging his trunk towards them. Sirius watched Mrs. Lupin closely. She was a Muggle, after all. Perhaps Remus was hiding something. But, while watching Mrs. Lupin wrap her arms around her son, smiling down at him and give him a quick kiss on the forehead, Sirius couldn’t help but think that she was a nice woman, even though she was a Muggle.

Mr. Lupin seemed to ask Remus something and Remus turned and pointed at the three of them. Sirius looked away politely, embarrassed to be caught staring, but looked back in time to give Remus and his parents a small wave. James and Peter were busy scanning the crowd for their own parents. Peter found his next.

Mrs. Pettigrew looked just how Sirius had imagined her, short and squat and carrying an awful handbag that looked like a dead animal hanging from a strap. Peter’s little sister, Pamela, looked like him but with pigtails. She kept staring at Sirius and he had to look away before he laughed.

“Well, just you and me,” Sirius sighed and James nodded.

Sirius’s heart was racing and his nerves were on end. He searched the crowd again for his mother and father. The station was so over crowded with busting students and delighted parents that it was difficult to find anyone. Then he saw them, his mother first. Standing tall, shoulders back, chin up, sneering down at all the screaming children as if they were dirty mongrels.

Blacks were never caught bustling.

Sirius had to laugh inwardly at how strange his mother looked in this setting. She stood stiff and still as the rest of the world scurried around her. As if everyone around her were moving at a normal pace and she were in slow motion.

Time to face the music…er…punishment.

“There’s my mother and brother,” Sirius pointed. James’s eyes followed Sirius’s arm until he came upon Mrs. Black and Regulus. She was standing with both her hands on Regulus’s shoulders. Regulus too, was dressed in his finest winter cloak, eyes the size of Quaffles as he watched all the children running around them. From time to time, Mrs. Black would pull him back from a particularly grubby or “Muggle” looking student.

Sirius watched James’s expression as he gave a half-hearted smile.

Then Regulus saw Sirius. He broke free of his mother’s grasp and ran to him. Out of breath when he reached him, Regulus went to hug Sirius but stopped at the last second. He smiled oddly and glanced back at their mother as she strode forward.

“Hi!” Regulus said, excitedly and breathlessly, all smiles. “I missed you!” Then in an added whisper, “Just to warn you, she’s on the warpath.” Sirius chanced a glance at his mother. She was frowning, and he nodded a silent thanks to Regulus.

“Hullo,” Regulus greeted James politely.

“Hullo, Squire,” James smirked as Sirius reached out and ruffled his brother’s hair.

Regulus pushed at Sirius and the two immediately started to play wrestle, until their mother approached.

“Regulus,” she said evenly. “I told you not to touch him before we can get him home.”

Regulus backed away guiltily as James gave Sirius a quizzical look.

Mrs. Black’s eyes fell upon James.

Sirius cleared his throat a little. “Hullo, Mother. This is James, one of my dorm mates.”

Nose in the air she surveyed him like a particularly difficult purchase.

“James?” she asked.

“James Potter,” Sirius added.

“Potter you say?” she asked thoughtfully, “from the Devonshire Potters?”

James chanced a quick look at Sirius before nodding with an answer, “Ahh…yes, ma’am.”

She didn’t quite smile but Sirius could see she was pleased.

“Very well. We have a dinner engagement, James Potter, so you must excuse us. Hurry along, Sirius.” She nodded curtly to James and pulled Regulus along with her.

James eyebrows shot up as he exchanged looks with Sirius. Sirius was quite sure from his reaction that James had never met anyone quite like his mother.

“That’s my mum,” Sirius told him unnecessarily, then shrugged.

They bid each other shy and awkward goodbyes and Sirius followed his mother and brother, dragging his trunk behind him.

“See you in a few weeks!” James called.

“See you!” Sirius called as he hurried to catch up with his family.


*~*~*~*~*


Humiliating is what it was. He could have managed just fine on his own…completely degrading. What did his mother think he could be infected with? What could possibly be on him? He’d been living with a half-blood for nearly four months and he’d never come down with any illness. If he was carrying any sort of diseases surely they would have affected him before now.

While his mother and Regulus had dinner with the LeStranges, Sirius was confined, literally hexed to the bath while Kreacher and the other house elves scrubbed him down forcefully.

Humiliating. The last time he was bathed by anyone other than himself he was three years old and he was surely capable at the age of eleven to do so on his own. He definitely didn’t need that mangy house elf scrubbing so bloody hard. Even his skin hurt now; never mind his pride.

Sirius sat in his bedroom on top of his bed, wrapped in his bathrobe and chilled due to his damp skin and hair. He scanned his bedroom. It felt odd being back here, in his old room. It was too quiet, for one. Peter and Remus weren’t here, squabbling over the last Chocolate Frog and there was no James raving madly about the Cannons chaser, Whoshisface.

The room itself felt peculiar but he knew it shouldn’t. This was his bedroom and had been for eleven years. After living in a dorm with three other boys he realized it wasn’t like most rooms for boys his age. There were no Quidditch posters on the walls, no unseemly messes or disorder, no odd and unexplained odors… nothing that really made it his own. All three of his friends had decorated the walls by their beds with their own personal items; James added Quidditch posters, Peter added a photo of a famous film actress, and Remus had some posters of rock-n-roll bands, both Muggle and magical. Sirius’s wall by his bed was empty. He’d had nothing to put there.

It was just like his room, bare except for the décor his mother had put there before he was born. His bed was a four-poster, grand and carved wood, although the drapes here were green. The walls were dark wood panels and the few pictures on the wall were ancestors. Nothing made the room his own, well, except for the pile of Wizard Comics Andromeda had pilfered for him and he had hidden in the space under the window seat, but of course no one but he knew they were there.

In the distance he heard quick footsteps pounding up the stairs and suddenly Regulus burst into his room, ran to him, and tackled him flat on the bed.

“Ooof!”

“Sirius!” Regulus cried breathlessly hugging his brother. “You’re all clean now!”

Sirius pushed him off but smiled at his enthusiasm.

“Yeah,” he mumbled. With a sigh he asked, “How was dinner with the LeStranges?”

Regulus shrugged and pulled a face, then bombarded Sirius with questions.

“What did you bring home? Did you bring those exploding cards? Do you have any sweets?”

Sirius laughed. “No, no sweets but I did bring the cards.”

“What’s Hogwarts like?”

Sirius smiled widely. “It’s wicked! I’ve never had so much fun in my life!”

“What are the classes like? Are they hard?”

“Nah, they’re a piece of cake!”

“Are the professors mean?

“Only a few…most are cool though.”

“What’s your favorite class?”

“Transfiguration! It’s unbelievable,” Sirius answered enthused, “we took this old wardrobe and turned it into a row-boat and me and James got it on the first try! We all went down to the lake and just sat back and watched as the others in the class struggled, trying to paddle theirs or stop the doors that were still on the bottom from coming open and sinking them. It was funny!”

“You had to turn a wardrobe into a row-boat and you did it on the first try?” Regulus asked, wide-eyed.

“Of course.” Sirius answered with a shrug and a grin.

“Do you really have classes with Mudbloods?” Regulus asked wide-eyed.

Sirius shifted uncomfortably. “Don’t say that, Reg”

“What?” Regulus asked, affronted.

“They’re called Muggleborns, not Mudbloods.”

“I never heard ‘Muggleborns’ before.”

“Well you have now, so that’s what you should call them.”

Regulus rolled his eyes, “Doesn’t matter what we call them.”

“Yes it does,” Sirius said.

“Why? They don’t matter.”

“They do so.”

“No they don’t.” Regulus said with a little laugh. “They’re all worthless filth.”

“That’s not true!” Sirius said.

“Says who?”

“You’re an idiot,” Sirius said with a roll of his eyes and pushed Regulus back off his bed.

“I am not,” Regulus argued as he stood back up.

“Yes,” Sirius nodded angrily, “you are!”

Regulus, confused at his brother’s sudden attitude, said plainly. “Shut up!’

Sirius shot back, “You shut up!”

“No! You shut up, Sirius! Just because you’re away at school doesn’t make you better than me.”

“I never said I was better than you!”

“You act like you are!”

“I just don’t think it’s right to say ‘Mudbloods’, is all!”

“Why not?”

“It’s just not on, Regulus. I just don’t think it’s right to call them that. I know some and they’re alright.”

“You know some? Who?”

“Doesn’t matter who.” Sirius shrugged off the question. “I’m just saying he’s an alright bloke.”

“We’re better than them though, you said so yourself that you and James transfigured the wardrobe on your first try, and you’re both purebloods.”

“How do you know James is a pureblood?” Sirius asked surprised.

“Mother checked.” Regulus said with a shrug.

“How did she…?” Sirius started but Regulus interrupted.

“Are we going to play cards or not?”

Sirius rolled his eyes. He knew he wasn’t really angry with Regulus; he was still angry with his mother for ordering Kreacher to give him his bath. And, he remembered that he’d promised himself he’d make sure Regulus had some fun while he was home for holiday.

“Fine,” Sirius smiled slowly, “let just play then, eh?”

Regulus grabbed the cards from Sirius’s bedside table, giving his older brother a small shove and a small smile as he did so.


*~*~*~*


Sirius had been subjected to long and monotonous lectures since he’d come home for the holidays. He’d been home nearly a week and not a moment had passed when he came in contact with his mother that she wouldn’t remind him of his duties, his expected role in the family, directions to shun the unworthy among his housemates and school and bring honour to the Black family by excelling in his studies, which he’d been doing so far, but no one seemed to mention.

From what he had expected when he’d got home, he felt he could handle the lectures and thought he’d gotten off rather lightly considering.

“Wait for me!” Regulus called as he sat in the foyer of Grimmauld Place attempting to tie up his bootlaces while wearing mittens. He was bundled from head to toe in cap, cloak, scarf, mittens, and boots. It was the eve of Yule and they were pleasantly surprised to once again be allowed the afternoon to play about outside.

Sirius looked down and rolled his eyes before crouching down and finishing the ties for his brother with his glove free hands. He then grabbed his own Gryffindor scarf out of his cloak pocket, wrapped it around his neck and the two boys headed out into the uncommon London snow.

“Race you to the garden?” Sirius asked.

“Five second head start,” Regulus replied.

“No, three! Your legs are longer than when I last saw you!” Sirius argued.

“Five! You grew too!”

“Fine,” Sirius added in exasperation and before Regulus could say any more he started counting out loud: “Five! Four! Three!”

It took Regulus until “Four!” before he realized his brother had started the counting and he dashed off towards the white covered and crystallized playground. Sirius rushed past his brother just before Regulus reached the swing; the same one that they always used for the finish.

Out of breath, he pushed his brother with a smile. “I’m still faster.”

Regulus sulked for only a moment before brushing the fresh fallen snow off the swing and hopping up onto it.

“You’ll freeze your bum off, you will,” Sirius remarked.

“It’s not that cold.” Regulus lifted his chin in answer.

Sirius wandered around the posts of the swing-set, hanging off sideways and kicking a leg over to climb it. Halfway up he teased, “You’ll come to Hogwarts and people will say, ‘Look, there’s Sirius Black’s little brother, the one with no bum.’”

“No,” Regulus giggled, “They’ll say, ‘There’s Regulus Black, the smart and handsome Black.”

“Oi!” Sirius tackled Regulus off the swing and with an “oomph” they fell on top of each other. They wrestled in the snow; writhing and wiggling like two lunatics. This sort of behavior would never be tolerated inside Number Twelve Grimmauld Place, so when the opportunities to let loose one’s pent up energy came, they were gladly welcomed, no matter what the surroundings.

The snow was too light and fluffy for snowballs so Sirius had to be content with stuffing a handful of the white stuff down Regulus’s trousers.

“No fair!” Regulus screeched and he wormed his way from his brother’s grip.

Sirius grabbed him and pulled him back, and they wrestled a bit more until Regulus was out of breath. He gave a little squeak as snow reached places on his body it never was intended to go.

“Shhh!” Sirius said suddenly.

Regulus stopped, still breathing heavily.

“Did you hear that?” Sirius whispered breathlessly. His eyes were wide and he went very still, listening…

“What do you hear?” Regulus whispered.

Sirius shushed him again and held his hand up. The garden was completely empty as were the streets up to Grimmauld Circle. The only sounds were that of a cold, winter day as the light wind blew gently through the trees, lightly rustling the bare limbs together.

There it was…like a soft whimper.

“Did you hear it?” Sirius asked.

Regulus nodded, eyes wide with wonderment.

They both scrambled up, Sirius holding his hand out to keep Regulus behind him. They slowly crept up towards the bushes where the sound came from. Sirius crouched down. He could feel Regulus’s hot breath at his ear, and carefully and gently spread the thick brush apart to peer in.

A small dog with dirty, matted dark fur looked back up at the two boys and whined pitifully.

“A puppy!” Regulus gasped.

“Shhh, you’ll scare it.” Sirius whispered.

Regulus swatted Sirius on top of the head and whispered heatedly, “I told you I had been hearing things in the garden!”

“Ow! No need to clobber me!” Sirius hissed as he rubbed his head, messing his hair in the process.

Regulus pushed around his brother so that Sirius fell over from his unsteady crouch. He then settled in front of the bush on his knees and started talking gently and sweetly to the puppy.

“Hi, girl.” He held out his hand so she could sniff it. “How are you, little one? Hello. Shhh, we won’t hurt you. Come here…”

Sirius lay back, propped up on his elbows and watched as his brother lured the puppy out of the bush. He smiled when Regulus beamed with pride at his success when he stood holding the small dog in his arms.

“I bet she’s hungry,” Regulus said thoughtfully as he stroked the puppy’s ears.

“We should get her something to eat,” Sirius said as he lifted himself up.

“I bet she’s cold too,” Regulus wrapped her up in his arms and she licked at the hand he was petting her with.

“Yeah.” Sirius dusted off his bum then reached out and scritched the dog’s ears. “She’s friendly, innit?”

“Yeah.” Regulus grinned. His face fell suddenly into a pout. “Wish we could keep her.”

The one thing that Sirius knew his brother had always wanted was a dog. From the time he was old enough to talk it’d been all he ever talked about until a few years ago when he was old enough to realize that his constant begging and whining would get nowhere with their parents. There was no way their mother would allow an animal in her father’s ancient house. Sirius once argued to let Regulus have a dog because Kreacher was worse than any animal or dog Regulus could keep as a pet, but that had earned him nothing but a swift smack about his head for his cheek.

“Perhaps we can…” Sirius cocked an eyebrow in thought.

“How?” Regulus asked, then smiled slightly as he sensed his brother’s sudden brainstorming.

“I know a few spells now, silencing spells, and we can sneak her in and keep her in my room. I’ve got a spot by the window seat, the floor boards come up, we could make a bed for her in there. I could Scourgify it every day, it’s a simple enough spell,” Sirius said with a casual arrogance as if he’d been doing magic for years. “I think we could do it!” He smiled excitedly.

“Are you allowed to do magic outside of school though?”

“Sure. I mean, if I lived with Muggles then the magic would be spotted by the Ministry, but they can’t tell who’s doing the magic, they will just think it’s mother or father.”

The two started back up towards Number Twelve.

“Let’s name her Snuffles,” Regulus suggested.

“Snuffles?” Sirius asked appalled. “That’s the dumbest name I’ve ever heard,” Sirius scoffed as they walked side by side. He reached over and scritched the dog’s head again.

Regulus’ face fell into a pout. “Nothing wrong with that name. She sniffs and snuffles me. Look!” Regulus giggled as the puppy nuzzled the scarf around his neck and licked his face and nose.

“No,” Sirius said, “If I’m going through all this trouble of keeping her, we are not naming her Snuffles.”

Regulus sighed, “Fine. You name her then.”

“Alright,” Sirius grinned wickedly. “I have the perfect name.”

Regulus gave him a perplexed look but didn’t question him as they approached the door of Number Twelve. Sirius removed his wand from his back pocket of his trousers. Since receiving it, he never left without it. He pointed it at the puppy and muttered, “Patrificus Totalus”.

Regulus gasped as the puppy went rigid in his arms, “Sirius! What did you do!”

“It’s alright, she’ll be fine.” He took the stiff puppy from Regulus and stuffed it under his arm under his warm winter cloak, straightened his scarf once again, then with one last look and grin at Regulus, waved his hand in front of the serpent knocker. The door unlocked and they went inside. Hoping to sneak quickly up to his room, the two boys stiffened instantly when their mother called out.

“What are you doing bringing that vile thing into my house!”

Bugger. How could she possibly know?

Sirius glanced quickly at Regulus and found the boy’s face rigid with horror before he looked up into the eyes of his mother as she crossed the foyer to her two sons.

“I’m sorry, Mother? I don’t understand.” Sirius asked innocently, willing to play it dumb until he knew the game was up.

“You will not wear that in my house! I will not be reminded of that Mudblood lover, a traitor to his own kind. You may have to live in his house while at school but you will not parade around my house with that filth’s colours around your neck! Remove that scarf at once!”

Dumbstruck, Sirius looked down at his Gryffindor scarf around his neck. Before he could remove it his mother pointed her wand at him. He flinched as she blasted it off him, smoke billowing around his head and he coughed. She gave a small smile and retreated to the front sitting room, calling lazily behind her, “Your cousins will be arriving soon. You will go and wash and dress properly so you are ready.”


*~*~*~*


“She’s adorable!” Andromeda squeaked as she nuzzled the puppy. The three of them, Andromeda, Sirius, and Regulus sat on the floor of his bedroom playing with the boys’ new secret pet. “What did you name her?”

Regulus shot Sirius a worried look, unwilling to answer, but a cheeky grin spread so wide across Sirius’s face that Andromeda had to ask.

“Sirius…what are you up to?”

Sirius snorted out a laugh and said, “Trixie”.

“What? Who’s Trixie? Are you talking about Bellatrix?”

“Not really.” Regulus played with the cuff on his trousers and eyed Andromeda through his fringe while Sirius snickered, and answered his cousin shyly.

“Sirius named the puppy Trixie after Bella.”

“You named the dog after my sister?” She laughed. “You’re going to be at the business end of another hex if she finds out.”

“She won’t find out,” Sirius said quickly. “Will she?” And he shot another look at Regulus.

“I’m not going to tell her!” Regulus shook his head, eyes wide in fear.

“Besides, she can’t know. She’ll run straight to mother,” Sirius finished.

“Right,” both Regulus and Andromeda nodded.

Too soon, Narcissa was knocking on the bedroom door calling them all down for dinner. It was customary for the Black family members to gather on the eve of Yule for a lavish dinner and celebration. The boys were once again dressed in their very best; Sirius had moved up to being allowed to wear his best robes while Regulus was still clad in his Fauntleroy suite.

They ate in the formal dining room, which was large enough to accommodate the extended family. Sirius was lucky enough to sit between Regulus and Andromeda. The meal went off without much commotion; although, his grandmother berated Sirius at the table once again for his apparent lack of Black Family pride for being sorted into Gryffindor. Sirius however was really getting rather used to the scolding and took it in stride, nodding like a good lad.

His uncle took him aside after dinner and reminded him that he was the oldest Black male, and therefore the duty to carry on the family name was in his hands. This made Sirius cringe a bit, being eleven, when his uncle started talking about children and going into too much detail as to how Sirius should have as many children as possible, males, strong and proud to carry on the name, and tips on spells that would help produce males when babies are conceived. Luckily, Andromeda came around and got him away, just not soon enough to keep Sirius from getting a little light headed and queasy from all the vivid images his uncle had conjured.

Gifts were opened and it was the usual, this year Sirius received a leather bound biography of Salazar Slytherin…which was better than what he had expected, although it wasn’t very appealing. He politely thanked his mother and father but soon tossed the book aside “ wondering to himself what fantastic haul James was probably making at his own home in Devonshire.


~*~*~*~


Sirius was awoken early the morning of December 25th by his brother bouncing on him and his bed, repeatedly.

“Geroff!” Sirius shoved.

“Sirius! Wake up! You need to see this!”

Sirius growled, “Just feed her and get out of my room.” His head was pounding and he felt as though he had fallen off his broom, he ached all over. Perhaps Ana had slipped him a bit too much port “ which she’d pinched from the cellar after the gifts were opened. In any case, he wasn’t in a mood to see any new trick Regulus had taught the dog.

“I already fed Trixie.” To prove it he let the puppy crawl up and lick at Sirius’s nose. “C’mon!” Regulus begged. “There are presents on your bed!”

“Wha…?” Sirius cocked his head up and squinted, rubbing the wet splotches Trixie’s tongue had left on his face. He slowly focused on Regulus’s face, eyes round, excitement written all over it.

“Sirius, why did you get more pressies and not me?” he pouted. “Who are they from?”

Hair askew and eyes still blurry from alcohol induced sleep, Sirius sat up cautiously as Regulus shoved a parcel onto his lap.

“Open it!” Regulus urged as he scritched Trixie’s ears.

“Not so bloody loud!” Sirius thumped him.

“Ow…” Regulus scowled and rubbed his arm. He was too busy eyeing the carefully wrapped parcel in his brother’s lap.

“There’s a letter!”

“I can see that,” Sirius said as he began opening the envelope. He was waking slowly but was also getting excited himself. Why had he gotten more gifts? He got his Slytherin biography last night at the family Yule celebration. Had his mother and father rethought the sorting and felt bad since his grades had been so good and Slughorn adored him? Maybe these were to make up for their punishment?

He flipped the first letter open, scanned it quickly for a signature and gasped.

“Remus?”

A split second of disappointment; these were not from his parents.

The disappointment was quickly replaced by amazement that one of his dorm mates had thought of him. He’d never had a friend give him things before.

“Your mate?”

“Yeah…” Sirius sat up a bit and scratched at his head. He’d never even thought of sending his new friends something for the holiday. The idea had never crossed his mind. Three packages, this must have meant that the other two were from Peter and Potter.

Sirius read Remus’s letter aloud.

Sirius,
Happy Christmas! I was talking to James before you got in the compartment on the train and he said you don’t receive many sweets at holiday. I’m afraid I’m not very good at buying gifts so I thought my mum’s baking would be a good replacement. She’s been baking like a mad woman since I got home (and no, she’s not really mental, I swear!). She says she needs to fatten me up. I thought you would enjoy some Christmas Pudding and one of her pies since you wouldn’t have any of your own. Share them with your brother (if you want to). I can’t wait to get back to Hogwarts. It’s so quiet here without you, and James and Peter.
Have a good holiday!
Remus J. Lupin


“Pudding!” Regulus yelped with glee as he started ripping at the brown paper before Sirius could even start it himself.

“And a pie,” Sirius smiled, holding it up as Trixie poked her nose at it. “Smells fantastic, doesn’t it?”

“I’m hungry! Can we eat it when we’re done?” Regulus asked as he grabbed for another parcel while Sirius sat the baked goods on his bedside table.

“Sure,” Sirius smiled.

“Open this one next!” Regulus laid a colorfully yet sloppily wrapped box on his lap. Sirius licked some sugary syrup from the pie off his finger before unfolding the next letter.

Sirius,
Happy Christmas! Me and James snuck into the 3rd Years dorms and nicked these Dungbombs a few days before end of term. Thought you could use them on that nasty cousin if she comes to visit for the holiday. I told my mum about all of you and she wants to meet you. My sister does too. Happy Christmas, oh bugger I already said that.
Peter


Regulus’s eyes and mouth formed perfect “O’s” before he smiled at the prospect of getting Bellatrix with something called a Dungbomb.

Sirius laughed. “If I use these here”” he leaned over and pulled open his bedside drawer and dumped the bombs inside “”Mother would kill me before Bella ever got the chance!”

Regulus set Trixie down and crawled to the foot of the bed to retrieve the last present. She jumped and played in the discarded wrapping paper on the bed. Sirius rolled a bit of it to see if he could get her to tug with him. She did. He and Regulus laughed as he let go and she rolled over backwards from sheer momentum. Regulus handed the last parcel to Sirius and sat back on his feet, hands on his legs, nearly bouncing with glee.

“I wonder what’s in this one?” he asked.

“If it’s from Potter, it could be anything!” Sirius smirked. He wondered if his mischievous friend sent a huge Dungbomb to end all Dungbombs. What else had he pinched from the third year’s dorm? It would most likely be something loud, smelly, and completely obnoxious if it was from James Potter, and Sirius was sure he would love it.

He opened the box first this time, ignoring the letter, but stopped his hands just before he reached the item inside. He looked up at Regulus and his brother’s face mirrored his own.

“Is that a...” Regulus breathed.

“Yeah…” Sirius answered in shock.

He ripped open the letter and read.

Sirius,
Merry Christmas or Happy Yule or whatever you Blacks say. I was talking with my mum and asked if she thought it’d be alright if I sent you my old camera. It’s a couple years old, I got it when I was nine, the shutter sticks sometimes but it still takes good wizarding pictures. Thought you might like it anyways. Hope you don’t think it’s barmy but I thought it’d be better than getting one of your uncle’s old socks or some rubbish like that. Anyway, Merry Christmas and tell your brother I said hello from Devonshire.
Your mate, James



*~*~*~*

Sirius and Regulus spent most of that day locked up in Sirius’s bedroom playing with Trixie. They took turns playing with the puppy and snapping pictures of each other. The magical photos depicted Sirius lying on his stomach on the wooden floor with one end of a clean sock stuffed in his mouth as Trixie tugged at the other end, while they both growled playfully at each other. Another showed Regulus bouncing a ball that Sirius had transfigured from a candlestick and clapping and smiling widely like a goofy git as Trixie retrieved it and brought it back to him. Sirius had never remembered having so much fun at home with his brother and the belly laughs that Regulus emitted reminded him of he and his new mates at school.

Sirius would definitely have to make it up to James for the present, and to Remus and Peter too for their thoughtfulness. He felt a bit of what he thought must be guilt for not even thinking to send them anything for the holidays, but that just wasn’t how his mind worked.

When the boys were called down for dinner that evening, Mrs. Black even commented on how nice it was to have both her boys smiling and happy and for the four family members to once again be all together. His father even offered Sirius a small glass of port for after dinner toasts, and Sirius smiled since Regulus was only allowed pumpkin juice.

“To family and to blood.” Orion Black offered.

Sirius felt a now-familiar twist in his stomach before he lifted his glass and repeated with the rest of them, “To family and to blood.”


*~*~*~*


The next day, Mr. Black left town for business. It was back to business as usual for the rest of them as the holidays were coming to an end. Sirius was due back to Hogwarts in a few days.

They returned to Number Twelve with their mother that afternoon after spending what seemed like an eternity at the cousins’; where Bellatrix had been keen on telling Sirius that she’d overheard their fathers talking that he and Narcissa were betrothed in order to keep the bloodlines pure, since so many pure bloods were shaming their race and marrying Mudbloods. Sirius had scoffed at her ludicrous story, but secretly feared there was some possible truth to it.

As soon as they got home, the boys ran up the steps, nearly tripping over each other to reach the bedroom first. Once inside they ran to the window seat and lifted back the cover to let Trixie out and roam free in the bedroom for a while. They had made a nice little niche for her, using one of Sirius’s green bed pillows, Regulus’s old blue baby blanket, and the few little toys Sirius had transfigured for her.

But she wasn’t there.

Sirius heard Regulus’s intake of breath, “Where is she!”

“Maybe she got out,” Sirius said calmly. “She likes to curl up under my bed.”

Regulus quickly got on his hands and knees and peeked under the bed and called for her. Sirius wandered around, checked behind his wardrobe, school trunk, headboard but there was no sign of her.

From outside the bedroom door, the boys heard a loud voice call out “Alohomora!”

Sirius’s bedroom door blasted open and their mother stood in the doorway with an evil grin and the hint of satisfaction on her face.

Sirius couldn’t take his eyes off his mother’s face but he saw Regulus peer over at him out of the corner of his eye. Mrs. Black slowly removed a glove from her long fingered hand as she surveyed both her sons before focusing on Sirius.

“You won’t find it,” she said coldly.

Sirius couldn’t say a word. He was frozen. What did she mean? Did she know about Trixie? How could she know? What had she done?

“That filthy mutt is dead. I had Kreacher drown it this afternoon.”

Sirius heard Regulus gasp but the boy didn’t say a word.

“What?” Sirius asked, stunned, all the air in his lungs leaving him at once.

“Kreacher drowned it for me while we were out this afternoon.” She walked into the room and towards Sirius. “I told him to make sure when I got back that that unfortunate, flea-infested creature was no longer taking up residence in my house.”

Sirius could hear a slowly developing, strangled sob coming from his brother but he couldn’t make himself look at Regulus. He was focused on his mother as she walked slowly towards him. She was a tall woman and Sirius was still nearly a foot shorter than her. She was now so close and he could see the tiny lines under her grey eyes and feel her breath on his face.

He should have expected it, but he was in a state of shock and stunned frozen by her revelation of killing the puppy. The blow came across his face so fast and so hard that he felt his lip split and heard his nose crack as his head whipped sideways. He fell to the floor in a heap as his mother looked over at Regulus.

“This is what happens when I am deliberately disobeyed.”

Regulus swallowed down a sob, sniffed, then choked out a quiet, broken, “Yes mother.”