Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Fall in Love Again by Madame Marauder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Bellatrix went through the next day, avoiding Rodolphus. She had hidden herself in the second-floor library and was reading a book on ancient torture spells. Rodolphus pushed open the heavy door. The setting sun shone through the window, and cast a glow on Bellatrix’s face. He watched in admiration and love, but his wife didn’t look up.

“Bella?” he said her name like a question as he strode across the room. “Have you been here all day?”

Bellatrix nodded and turned the page of her book.

Rodolphus sighed, “Have you been avoiding me?”

Bellatrix looked up suddenly and her book fell to the ground. Rodolphus took a step back.

“Our master beckons,” Bellatrix said softly, caressing her left arm.

Though Bellatrix was used to the Dark Lord summoning her by the Dark Mark, the pain came suddenly. Rodolphus cocked his head.

“Bella, are you alright? I don’t feel a thing…” he said, resting a hand on her shoulder.

Bellatrix batted his hand away. “Then he calls for me. I must go,” she said, a hint of anticipation in her voice.

Rodolphus kissed her softly on the mouth, and then watched her apparate from sight. When she was gone, he sighed. Maybe she really was avoiding him…



“My Lord,” Bellatrix said, genuflecting at Voldemort’s feet. Voldemort laughed.

“Bella… Bella… Stand up. I have little time for this bowing at the moment; there is work to be done,” he said softly.
“Work?” Bellatrix asked. “What sort of work?”
Bellatrix looked around for other Death Eaters-- Lucius, McNair, or even Snape-- but saw only the Dark Lord before her, and Nagini curled up by the hearth. Bellatrix pulled herself to her feet.

“I have a task for you,” Voldemort said softly. “A very, very important task.”
Bellatrix looked up at her master. “Yes my Lord?” she said, her heart fluttering.

“I require an heir,” Voldemort said, dropping his voice; Bella found his four words to be the most appealing she’d heard. “Stay with me, and together, we shall produce a line so great that the world will no longer question our reign.”

Bellatrix looked to her left arm. On her finger was the constricting ring that bound her to Rodolphus, but on her forearm, was the Dark Mark, her promise to Voldemort. The Dark Mark could not be removed. Bellatrix bowed her head, though smiling all the while.

“You’re bidding shall be done, my Lord,” she said passionately.

Bellatrix followed Voldemort up the stairs and slid the ring from her finger and placed it in her robe pocket.



The morning sun glared through the cracked windows of the Riddle House. Bellatrix opened her eyes, memories of the previous night replayed in her head. Each reminisce was sweeter than the last. She looked over to see that Voldemort was no longer beside her. She sat bolt upright, pulling the sheets around her skin. Quickly, Bellatrix pulled her clothes on and dashed down the stairs. She found Voldemort discussing something with Nagini in Parseltounge. He turned his attention to Bellatrix.

“Bella, you were still asleep so I didn’t bother waking you, but now that you are awake, I think you should return to your home. We don’t want Rodolphus to be… suspicious.”

“Of course not! He’d surely be suspicious… As you wish, my Lord,” Bellatrix said, though slightly disappointed; she’d hoped to spend eternity with the Dark Lord, and this seemed an abrupt end for their magical night. Without argument, Bellatrix apparated home. Voldemort turned back to Nagini and smiled a serpentine smile.

“She doesn’t suspect a thing,” he hissed softly. “My plan will not fail now.”



The occasional times Bellatrix saw Voldemort within the next month were uneventful”he didn’t acknowledge her in any special way. Rodolphus on the other hand worked extra hard to please Bellatrix. He tried to impress her with gifts of flowers and he scheduled a time once a week for them to eat an elaborate dinner together. But no matter what he did, Bellatrix would still fantasize that the Dark Lord would call for her like he had a month before.

Bellatrix stood on the doorstep of Malfoy Manor and knocked with the heavy metal serpent-knocker. Her sister answered the door.

“Narcissa, we need to talk,” Bellatrix said, letting herself in.

She hung her cloak on the coat rack by the door and wrung her black hair out before stepping onto the hardwood floor. Narcissa looked at her sister and smiled to herself.
“Indeed, we do,” she said leading Bellatrix into the parlor. “What’s wrong?”

Bellatrix and Narcissa seated themselves in soft armchairs facing one another. Bellatrix bit her lip.

“I don’t know where to begin…” Bellatrix began.

“I do. When are you due?” Narcissa asked.

Bellatrix looked at her sister in confusion. Narcissa merely smiled; from the moment her sister had removed her cloak, it was obvious she was pregnant. Narcissa had given birth to Draco nearly seventeen years ago; surely she’d know the signs. Bellatrix however, didn’t understand.

“Due? What’s due?” she asked.

Narcissa cocked her head and laughed softly. “The baby. When is it due?”

Bellatrix’s mouth flew open as though she would protest, but Narcissa held a hand up.

“Bella, you’re pregnant. When are you due? No time soon, I’d imagine… but I’d estimate about eight months from now. I’m glad to see you and Rodolphus made up,” Narcissa said with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

“Rodolphus and I”… The baby is…” Bellatrix seemed at a loss for words.

“You have told Rodolphus, haven’t you?” Narcissa pressed.

Bellatrix clamped her mouth shut. She knew that the child was the Dark Lord’s, but she didn’t know what Rodolphus would do if she told him.

“Cissy, I haven’t told him yet. I need to, but I wanted to tell you first,” Bellatrix lied, but her face remained calm.
“Congratulations, Bella,” Narcissa said, embracing her sister. Though Bellatrix was never one for hugs, there were rare moments when that didn’t matter.

“Thank you, Narcissa. But I really must tell Rodolphus,” Bellatrix said, pulling away. “I’ll let you know how that goes over.”

Bellatrix retrieved her cloak and apparated home where Rodolphus was waiting for her. Bellatrix held her head high and knocked on the study door, half-hoping he’d be there.
“Enter,” Rodolphus said wearily.

Bellatrix pushed open the door and cast her cloak aside. Rodolphus sat in one of the chairs; he looked as though he may have been sleeping just minutes before. Bellatrix smiled at her husband, but she thought she might cry. Rodolphus had rarely seen his wife loose her composure.

“Bella, tell me what’s wrong,” he said.

Rodolphus got up and rushed to his wife. He pulled her into his arms. For the first time in years, Bellatrix Lestrange broke down in her husband’s arms. He held onto her as she cried, not once asking questions.

“Rodolphus… I’m pregnant,” she whispered hoarsely. “I’m sorry. It’s the Dark Lord’s…”

She looked up into his eyes and she knew he understood her perfectly. If he was hurt, he hid it well. Instead he squeezed Bellatrix tighter.

“Bella, on our wedding day, I vowed for better or worse. You’re mine and I vowed to take care of you. I love you and nothing can change that. Not even the Dark Lord. I love you.”
And that was when she knew that she had always loved Rodolphus. She looked down at the gold band on her finger- it squeezed tightly, never to let go. It wasn’t constricting, but binding-- a ring of endless love. It just took an affair to help her fall in love again.