Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

My Magical Romance by MrsDanRadcliffe27

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Now that Susan has finally made up her mind as to what to do, all that remains is how.
Susan sat on the edge of her bed, still in her pajamas, on the following Saturday morning. Celia sat on the floor, hurriedly sorting through roughly ten thousand past issues of Witch Weekly for a very specific article that related to Susan’s love-life troubles. Sun was streaming though the windows of the tower, casting dancing rays onto Celia’s hair. Susan took a deep breath of sweet near-summer air. She admired Celia’s long, blonde hair, wishing that hers was just as lovely, silky, and gorgeous.

“How much longer will this take?” Susan asked impatiently. She was anxious to begin her Charms essay, which would easily take several hours to complete. Every single professor that Susan had was beginning to put on the end-of-the-year rush of homework and added studying in time for exams.

“Oh, just a few more minutes. I know that this issue is somewhere between last August and last March…” Celia said as she flipped through a magazine. “A-a-and, voila! Here it is!” She tossed the open issue to Susan, who caught it with her arms and elbows.

Wizard Boys and How to End Relationships With Them,” Susan read aloud. The title was blazed upon the top of a long and detailed article filled with several pictures of good-looking “wizard boys.”

Susan threw a skeptical look at Celia.

“Should I even begin to trust this?” she said flatly. Celia rolled her eyes.

Yes. This is what got me through about half of the relationships I’ve been in. It really works. Trust me. If it doesn’t work, then I’ll be a hippopotamus,” Celia said in an offhand tone.

“Fine.”

“Good.”

“But I have another question.”

“What?”

“How do you get your hair so soft?”

“Well,” Celia said, “I think it’s just genetics. Y’know, being partly Veela helps a little.” She laughed.

“Yeah, yeah,” Susan scorned. “Now that we’ve gotten this mess out of the way, I think I’m going to go and work.” Susan eased herself off her bed, her leg stiff from sitting on it.

“You worry too much,” Celia said nonchalantly.

Susan gazed at her friend. “You think so?”

“Yeah. I mean, you’re always panicking about something or other. You’ve got to learn to relax, Su.” Celia flicked a lock of hair away from her face. “Y’know? Reading a magazine isn’t like Avada Kedavra.”

Susan sighed deeply, taking her gaze from Celia to out the window. The clouds floated lazily across the sky, like enormous fish in a river.

“I think once this whole Roger-deal is over, I’ll feel better. Well, I need to really get going. I’ll see you later, Lia.”

-/-/-/-

Later that evening, when Susan was alone in the dormitory, she pulled out the article from Witch Weekly.

Wizard Boys and How to End Relationships With Them,” Susan said softly to herself.

Let’s face it: Wizards are not exactly the smartest of the magical world, are they? Wizards don’t know anything about relationships, and now Witch Weekly is here to educate you on how to educate them on ending a painful relationship.

“First off, witchies, you’re going to need to be CONFIDENT. If you’re nervous, your wizard will think that you don’t really mean what you’re saying. However, you don’t want to be over-zealous or too subdued about breaking-up. Being over-zealous will make your wizard think that you’re too bouncy and bubbly, and like the relationship never meant anything. (Even if it didn’t, you want to end on a good note.)”


Susan looked up from the article and out the window of the dormitory. The moon was shinning brightly from the darkened sky, and stars twinkled faintly at Susan.

Confidence…, Susan thought. I can do that. Susan continued reading:

“Secondly, DO NOT WEEP. Wizards do not understand how to deal with emotion, and putting more on them while breaking-up will not go over well. Remember, timing is everything, and you’re goal is to end whatever relationship you’re in without emotion-ties.

“Thirdly, promise to be FRIENDS. Staying in touch will help the break-up end with good terms. Even if you don’t really
want to be friends, it’ll do you well in the end. And be friendly to him when you see your wizard! Ignoring him will make you both feel awkward, and that is something you want to avoid prior to a break-up. Make polite conversation, and smile. Be kind!

“Fourthly, after the initial break-up, you want to stay HAPPY. Keep busy and active: Letting your mind wander will lead you to become sad, or even feel like breaking-up was a mistake. Doing things that you enjoy “ such as making Potions or designing robes “ will help the after-break-up pass by and let your heart mend. However, if you feel that this break-up was a mistake, and you think you’ll be happier with your wizard, then perhaps you should consider getting back into a relationship. (See the article on getting him back in our next issue!)”


The article went on to describe stories from real witches who successfully broke up with their “wizard.” Susan looked at the attractive wizards on the page, sighing thoughtfully. Suddenly, there came a knock from the dormitory door. Celia popper head lovely head inside the doorframe.

“Hey!” she said as she entered the room.

“Hey. I was just reading that article you lent me.” Susan closed the magazine and tossed it onto the foot of her bed.

“What do you think? Are you going to use it?” Celia asked. She walked over to Susan’s bed, moving the magazine to sit in its place. Celia looked into Susan’s eyes.

“I reckon. I mean, what else am I going to do?”

“When do you think you’ll talk to Roger about it?”

“Dunno. Maybe tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? Do you think you’re ready?”

“Why not? I believe that I am. I mean, better late than never.”

-/-/-/-

“Hey Roger? Can I talk to you for a moment?” Susan looked at Roger, who was sitting opposite of her at breakfast. He was quietly shoving spoonfuls of porridge into this mouth.

“Sure, Su,” he replied. He took one last spoonful of porridge, eased himself off the bench, and gave a quizzical look to one of his friends. Susan stood up as well, leading the pair to the Grand Hall. She took deep breathes and closed her eyes. Her heart was flitting about in her chest. Once in the Hall, Susan faced Roger and looked him the in eyes. His eyes were a little wet, Susan noticed.

“I…We need to talk,” Susan said nervously. She kept her eyes on Roger’s.

“Susan”” Confidence! Remember! “Before you tell me what you need to say, I need to tell you something.”

“Yeah?” Her heart pounded harder.

“I think we need to break up.”

The words were like music to Susan’s ears. She resisted the urge to smile broadly.

“Oh. Yeah. Well. Er, I was going to say that, too. I just don’t think things are working out.” Susan put her hand on Roger’s shoulder. “But, we can still be friends, right?”

“Yeah, er, of course. You’re really a great girl, Susan,” Roger said sadly. Dear Merlin, this relationship really meant something to him. Just try not to look too happy that it’s over.

“Thanks, Roger. I reckon you’re great, too.”

“I-I need to head off to Potions. I’ll see you later, Susan.” Roger embraced Susan and gave her a peck on her forehead. He walked slowly and sadly off into the corridors. Susan watched him until he had gone out of earshot and quietly yelled,

“YES!”

Susan Whitmer was finally free to go after Harry Potter.