Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Desperation, Determination, Deliberation by james_fever

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Lily vs. James?
“There, I’m done,” said Alice, holding up her Transfiguration essay. “It’s exactly a foot long.”







It was late in the evening and Alice, Melody and Lily were sitting in the library doing their homework.







Melody looked up from her work and said in disbelief, “Done so soon? I haven’t even written five inches yet.”







“What about you, Lily?” asked Alice, turning to Lily. But Lily wasn’t listening. Her mind was elsewhere and she was doodling on her parchment.







“Lily!”







“Wh - what?” she stammered, coming out of her trance.







“What’s wrong with you today?” asked Melody. “Is something bothering you, Lily?”







“Yeah. You’re so lost today,” said Alice.







“I made a humungous mistake and I don’t know what to do now,” sighed Lily. “I caught Potter hexing Snape in a corridor the other day and I shouted at him.”







“You caught Potter hexing Snape and you stopped him?” asked Alice, frowning. “You should have helped him.”







“You did make a big mistake, Lily, you know how Snape is…”







“I know he is really horrid and everything, but that doesn’t give Potter, or anyone else for that matter, the right to go against rules and hex Snape or anyone in the corridors!” debated Lily. “And I wasn’t sorry I stopped Potter - until last night. If I knew what I was getting myself into, I would never have interfered.”







“What happened then?”







“I came to the library last night to get the book I had left here and I bumped into Snape,” started Lily, “and he was furious to see me. He pulled out his wand, probably to hex me but quickly hid it when Madam Pince came along and asked us to leave. But before we went, he warned me never to interfere in his matters again and said that he doesn’t need girls, especially Mudbloods like me, to stand up for him, ‘cause he is not a coward and is capable of looking after himself.”







“That git had the nerve to treat you like that after you stopped Potter from hexing him?” hissed Alice.







“Don’t worry, Lily,” said Melody. “He can’t do anything to you.”







“That’s not all, Potter caught up with me this morning after breakfast. I was expecting another warning and you won’t believe this - he asked me out!”







“What?” gasped Alice and Melody at the same time, their mouths dropping open.







“They’re both such gits, the one I stand up for, warns me never to do it again and the one I insult, asks me out…”







“Well thank goodness it’s not the other way round. Imagine going out with Snape!” said Melody, disgusted.







“No wonder Potter is so friendly with us all of a sudden,” beamed Alice. “He likes our Lily!”







“So, are you going out with him this weekend?” asked Melody excitedly.







“Have you two lost it?” asked Lily, incredulously. “He obviously only wants revenge. He thinks he’s the only one in the world with a brain. Stupid James Potter with his stupid plans. But he can’t fool me! I am not gonna give him a chance to pay me back…”







“Nonsense! Boys don’t ask girls out to take revenge,” said Alice, “they ask them out because they like them.”







“Yeah, right! He likes me for insulting him I suppose,” scoffed Lily.







“Lily, be sensible. If he wants to hex you, he can just do it. He doesn’t have to take you out for that,” reasoned Melody.







“Yes, he does,” argued Lily. “He obviously won’t do it in front of the teachers and risk...”







“He isn’t scared of teachers or detentions. You know that, so stop finding excuses,” scolded Alice.







“Even the prefects don’t like messing with him and Black,” said Melody.







“Imagine being his girlfriend,” said Alice with a dreamy expression on her face, “no one would dare to trouble you.”







“He is so cool,” said Melody, bearing an expression similar to Alice’s.







Lily frowned, “I do not believe James Potter capable of loving anyone but himself and no matter what you two think, I shall never go out with him!”







“Yeah. Why would anyone want to go out with him?” asked Melody, sarcastically. “It isn’t like he is clever, smart, cute, popular…”







“Those aren’t the only qualities I look for in the person I want to date,” spoke Lily. “I think it is more important that he is good hearted with a clear conscience.”







“A clear conscience is usually the sign of bad memory,” laughed Alice and Melody.







“That’s enough,” came the stern voice of Madam Pince, as she emerged from behind a bookshelf. “You three have been making a lot of noise. Out!”







Alice, Lily and Melody started collecting their books, parchment and quills and got ready to leave.



Meanwhile, in another corner of the library James, Sirius and Peter held a whispered conversation while Remus sat a few tables away from them, doing his homework.







“I don’t think this is something we’re gonna find in a book. We have searched almost the entire library. We’ll have to apply our brains to figure it out,” said James.







“Then, this is not a task for Peter,” declared Sirius. “He makes a troll look intelligent.”







Peter opened his mouth to retort, couldn’t think of anything and closed it again, scowling.







“Well, until I get some brainwave I’ll just continue hunting in books,” said Sirius, picking up a book from the pile in the center, and beginning to read. Peter screwed his face in concentration but gave up and followed Sirius.







James sat thinking of the various possibilities by which the three could be with Remus when he transformed. Invisibility cloak? We ruled out that one long ago. We will be sensed by Remus. It’s a pity he doesn’t keep his mind when he transforms. If we look at it that way then it’s impossible for any human to go near a werewolf. That means we’ll have to stop being human when we are near a werewolf. How silly…Hang on, may be we should transfigure ourselves when we go near Remus. That’s an idea! But transfigure ourselves into what? It’s no use turning into anything that’s inanimate. What good will it be, turning into a stone or tree and watching Remus transform? We have to keep him company. We’ll have to change into something that can think, act and is not human. Think…act…sense…That’s it! It’s so obvious now! How come I didn’t think of it before? The problem is now solved!







“I’ve got it!” exclaimed James to Sirius and Peter.







Sirius frowned. “You mean you actually figured out the solution?”







James did not answer immediately. He settled himself in the chair more comfortably, rumpled up his hair and then spoke, “With a brain like mine amidst us, there is no problem for which we can’t find a solution. I’ve thought of the perfect way in which we can be with Remus when he transforms.” He spoke casually but the excitement in his voice was evident.







“Shut up and tell us what you’ve thought,” said Sirius, excitedly and controlling himself to keep his voice down.







James leaned closer and whispered, “Since werewolves attack humans we will have to change into something else when we go near them. We will have to become…”







“Werewolves,” interrupted Peter. “I was just gonna give this idea.”







Sirius clapped a hand over Peter’s mouth and said, “Continue, James.”







“We’ll have to change into animals, Sirius. That’s the only way. He won’t attack us then.”







“Brilliant! You’re right!” exclaimed Sirius, releasing Peter. “We should tell Remus about it. This is simply great. We’ve finally found the way!”







He got out of his chair and made towards Remus. The other two followed.







“Sirius, wait!” called Peter. “If we are going to turn into animals can I be a…”







“Peter, shut up and come here. And keep your voice down!” hissed Sirius.







“Remus, we need your help,” said James.







Remus sighed and looked up at them.







“I am a werewolf and nothing can be done about it. There is no way you guys can help me so just forget it! I’m not in my senses when I transform and I don’t want to put any of you in danger so I’m not going to help you research werewolves. I don’t want any accidents happening so please give up on it,” he begged.







“Shut up, Remus. We still haven’t forgiven you for hiding the truth from us so you’ll have to listen to whatever we say. In any case, we don’t have to research werewolves now because James has found a solution,” said Sirius.







“You’ll need a problem tougher than that to stump James Potter. I got the answer in less than a minute…” began James.







“James, we’ll give you a chance to show off later,” interrupted Sirius and James scowled at him. ”Our plan is to turn into animals when we transform. You don’t attack animals, do you?”







“No, I don’t think I ever go for them,” answered Remus. “But if you’re thinking of Polyjuice, it doesn’t work with animal transfiguration. Besides-”







“Animagi!” said James and Sirius together.







“Animagi! You need to register with the Ministry. They’ve got very strict rules for it. Do you think they are gonna allow three thirteen-year-olds to become Animagi?” laughed Remus.







“James Potter sets his own rules. We won’t register with the Ministry.”







“This is the law! Not the school rules you are used to breaking.”







“Big difference,” said Sirius.







“There is,” retorted Remus, “a lot of difference. Animagi transformation is very complicated and it can go horribly wrong. I don’t want you to take the risk for me. Please. Drop the idea.”







“We are not going to back out now that we are in it. I’m sure we can do it,” said James.







“I know I can never dissuade you people once you’re into something. I have never succeeded in that. But this is taking a very big risk for me. You are risking your lives! I don’t want this.”







“Come on, Remus. The risk is what makes it fun!” exclaimed James.







“We will be risking our lives?” whimpered Peter.







Sirius frowned at him. “You’re doing this for Remus, Peter. Surely you’re not gonna back out because it has a little risk involved?”







“No, er- of course I’ll do it…” mumbled Peter.







“He’s right. You shouldn’t be doing…” Remus had started to say when James stopped him with a movement of his hand.







“I think there’s somebody behind the bookshelf.”







“Let’s get out of here. We can talk in the dormitory. It’s safer,” whispered Sirius.







“Yeah let’s go.”







The four of them picked up their books and emerged out of the library just as Lily and her friends were leaving it too. Lily completely ignored James. As he stared at her, he didn’t realize where he was going and walked straight into solid wall. Sirius’ laughter brought him back to his senses and he picked himself up from the floor, embarrassed.







“That was so stupid of you, James,” laughed Sirius.” I can’t believe you still like her. Anyways, that girl is good for your ego. She’ll help bring it down.”







“I’m over her. I don’t like her anymore,” said James indignantly. “She is just not my type of a person. Besides, she likes Snivelly.”







“Sure you don’t,“ said Sirius disbelievingly.







“I really don’t like her! I, er- sort of tripped and banged into the wall. It wasn’t because of her,” protested James, massaging the side of his head where it had hit the wall.







“I don’t believe you,” said Sirius.







“Why not?” asked James, quickly. “Look, I thought about what you’d told me about her liking Snivelly. And she is also the very rule abiding type of a person. She’ll never see the fun in playing pranks on people. I’m sure she’ll be Head girl one day. Pathetic!”







“That, or is being turned down by that girl too much for your touchy ego?” asked Sirius, with a shrewd expression on his face that James didn’t like at all.







“It’s not that!” cried James, turning red.







“Admit it, James. You’re still not over her,” laughed Sirius. ”I’m sure you’re still brooding over her.”







“Believe me, I’m not brooding,” lied James. ”Actually I never did really like her, and I’m not too fussed that she’s not going out with me. It’s her loss not mine.”







Remus raised his eyebrows at him.







“Prove it! Then we’ll believe that you don’t like her,” said Sirius.







“How?” snorted James.







“Play a prank on her,” said Sirius, after a moment’s thought.







“Prank?” asked James, trying to think of a way to wriggle out of the situation. “We need a plan for that, Sirius. We’ll have to think properly and…”







His sentence trailed away into nothingness when he saw Sirius smirk. He knew exactly what Sirius would say if he tried to find excuses.







“Alright. I’ll do it to prove you wrong,” said James, desperately.







“I don’t believe you can be so stupid as to get talked into this by Sirius. What has Evans done to you that you want to play a prank on her?” said Remus.







“Remus! What has she done to him? You act as though you don’t know the whole story. That girl disarmed James in front of Snivelly…” began Sirius.







“It made no difference. Snivelly was frozen.”







“She was about to hex James!”







“There’s no proof of that.”







“She turned down James and she loves Snivelly!”







“She never said she loved Snivelly,” asserted Remus.







“I’d do it if I were in your place, James,” said Sirius. “She chose the biggest slime ball of the century over you! She’s definitely mental.”







Remus shrugged and James grinned at him. “Don’t try to stop us from playing pranks, mate. They’re too much fun. Sirius, what’s the plan?”







“Should I give one?” asked Peter, who had all this while been eating ‘Every Flavour Beans’ and making grotesque faces.







“No,” replied Sirius. “I’ve already got one. James, I have a trick flower. I’d got it long ago but didn’t know who to use it on. This is the perfect situation. Give the girl the flower and just before she takes it, press the stalk. Then watch the fun!”







“What’ll happen if I press the stalk?” questioned James.







“Trust me, nothing dangerous. But it’ll be fun.”







“How will I get her to take the flower?”







“Oh! You can think of something. You’re ‘James Potter,’ remember?” said Sirius. “Now let’s not waste time. I want to see this.” He started running with the others at his heels. The four reached the common room. James looked around to see if Lily was present and after spotting her, continued up the stairs to the dormitory after the others.







Sirius searched frantically in his trunk and after a few minutes, held up a flower for James to take. “Here it is. Don’t forget to press the stalk. And have you planned a way of giving it to her?”







“Yeah. Brilliant as I am…”







“Go!” said Sirius and pushed him out of the dormitory.







James walked into the common room and went to where Lily was seated.







“Hi!” he said to Alice and Melody.







“’Lo!” they replied, brightly.







“All right, Evans?” he asked.







“What do you want?” snapped Lily. People close to them turned around to look.







“I thought I’d bothered you a little, you know, today morning and the other day. And I thought that may be I owe you an apology.”







“James Potter apologizing?” exclaimed Lily. More and more heads were turning in their direction now and Lily felt pleased that she had been able to make ‘The James Potter’ see sense.







“Yeah,” said James uncomfortably. How does she manage to snub me all the time? But I am more than a match for her, he thought.







“Well,” she said, coolly, “if you’ve already started your apology, Potter, let me tell you you’re not doing a very good job of it.”







James rolled his eyes. “Right. Then, if this is how you want it - Evans I’m really sorry for making you mad. I regret deeply for ever having cursed Snivel- I mean Snape,” he said with tremendous effort. “I truly apologize. Please forgive me! Do you want me go down on my knees or something?” he scowled and held out the flower for her to take.







“No,” said Lily. It was her turn to go red as people around them laughed. She hesitated, with James Potter you never knew.







“Come on, Lily, he’s really sorry!” her friends urged.







Everyone in the common was looking at her expectantly. She sighed and got up. Meanwhile James was having an inner battle.



She’s so pretty.



But she favours Snivelly and she's turned me down, so I should just do it.



She’ll hate me for this.



I shouldn't really bother. I'm over her.



But I don't want the prank to damage her face.



What’s it to me if it does? I shouldn't care, really.



But I do care. I don’t want her to dislike me more than she already does.



I'll have to do it or else Sirius will never let me forget this.








He hesitated and shot a glance at Sirius who was standing near the stairs to the common room. His smirk goaded James into pressing the stalk before Lily could grab the flower. She saw something liquid squirt out from the flower and her face was wet. Shocked, she let out a scream of fury that was drowned by the laughter from everyone in the common room. Her face had turned a vivid red as her hair. But it did not stop there. It slowly turned blue, then yellow and then red again and blue, yellow…







“Colour changing ink!” someone exclaimed.







She turned to look at James with an expression of utmost fury on her face. He was grinning from the outside, but inwardly thinking that he was extremely lucky she didn’t have her wand at that moment.







“I’ll pay you back for this, James Potter. I swear I will!” she screamed and stomped off to the girl’s dormitory.