Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Late Love by joanna

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Late Love


Albus,

I really need your help this time. They just won’t budge. They just want to bury her in the family vault. And Amelia didn’t want that! We spoke about those things and we both wanted cremation. You have to do something! They just can’t ignore her wish because she didn’t tell them or because she didn’t write it down. I know they wouldn’t hear a word from me, but you have to do something! After all, she was your friend too.

Please, Albus! I know you have every right to be in a huff because we didn’t tell you earlier. But honestly, we couldn’t believe it ourselves. You should have seen it coming though. I mean, you could always read my mind, I’ve accepted it. You could have done it just one more time. I certainly hoped you would do it, because I didn’t know how to tell you. I, of all people, fell in love. And when they found us out, it was already too late to come to you. But I wanted to tell you. I just didn’t know how you would take it. But you know how it is. And you know how I feel at this moment. I would never dare to compare this late love with what you had with Minna, but I truly loved Amelia.

One could have never found a couple made of two so different people. She with her love for rules and me, well, you know me. She always joked about my past with the law, but she never questioned me about it. I still remember how surprised she was when I told her that story about the goat. She even had tears in her eyes, she laughed so much. She laughed rarely; she said her family would most likely die of surprise if they ever heard her laugh.

Of course, they never accepted me and I am not even miffed about it. But I don’t want them to bury Amelia in a crypt just because they don’t like me. You have to speak with them. Have they ever told you how they discovered us? It was in a stupid Muggle restaurant. We didn’t want to go to the Broomsticks or to the Cauldron, so we went into a Muggle restaurant to celebrate our sixth month anniversary. And of all the places there are in London, they just barged into that one! You should have seen the look on their faces, though! I know you would have found it highly amusing, you with your strange sense of humour. I have to tell you, I wasn’t in a very humorous mood on that evening. They called me everything you can imagine and even more than that. But you should have seen Amelia, too. She stood up, looked at them with a frown and all of a sudden they just stopped talking. Every one of them. Her daughter even looked like as if she were choking on her words. It was so funny to see. She told them to clear off and they did just that. She had that effect on people. However, she never tried to be stern with me. Which I can’t say of myself. But as I have written above, you know me. And she knew me too. She knew me, but she loved me nonetheless.

By the way, I have sent you some elf-made wine, did you get it? It was Amelia’s favourite too. She said that my Firewhiskey was an evil brew and she kept advising me not to drink too much of it. She said that she knew old Ogden and that he could be trusted to come up with something devilishly strong like that. But she gave me a bottle of very old whiskey for my birthday. She knew better than to want to change me. And I loved her for that too. She accepted me the way I am and I’ll be forever grateful for those six months we could spend together. Now, I can die as a satisfied man because I have known love. You can rub your hands now, you were right all the time.

Amelia told me the two of you had actually talked about us. Did she tell you how we met? On the whole, I have to thank you for that. Remember, when you sent me in January to Sirius? He asked me to stop by the Ministry and play messenger for that Shacklebolt chap. Amelia was there, talking about possible sightings of Sirius in Tibet. I couldn’t help but laugh and that’s when she noticed me. You know well that she wasn’t a pretty lady, and she knew it too, she often joked about it. But it was as if I had recognized someone, like I had known her for ages. I don’t know how to put it, but you know me, I was never great with words. Anyway, Amelia soon left and I decided, should she look back, I would ask her out. Just like that. I can hear you chuckle, you old fox! If it would have occurred to you that I might like her, you would have set us up, I’m quite sure. But she did look back. And the rest is history.

You know, we had a rendezvous on the following day. I mean, the day after she died. I was waiting there, in front of her flat, when she was already dead. She was lying there all alone and all I was able to think about was how I hated that stupid fog in the middle of the summer. My Amelia was already dead at that time and I had nothing else to think about but the stupid weather! How ironic is that? We never talked about the weather. We talked about nearly everything else, but never about the weather. We had so much to say. I still have so much to say. I still have to say how much I loved her. I hope I’ll able to tell her goodbye at least. I hope that this pain goes away then. Because this pain is unbearable. But you know that.

So would you talk to them, please? Thanks in advance,

Aberforth





Many thanks to Lys, my lifesaver!