Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Virtue of Being Prepared by the nutty imp

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Virtue of Being Prepared


The 1994 Quidditch World Cup


By Honey Jones, Junior Correspondent







Normally this place would simply be a deserted moor, yet for the past few weeks, Wizards all over the world have camped out at this site to cheer for their favourite team and countrymen.





'We bought our tickets and set up our camp months in advance, I had to make sure that my boys got plenty to eat during these games.' Rosie Brown stood proudly in front of her family's tent; it was but one of the many propped up in this vast campsite.





This year, England plays host for the 422nd Quidditch World Cup. A new Quidditch World Cup Stadium has been built, specifically for this purpose.





'We've decided not to settle for the Ellis or Ilkley Moor Stadiums; they simply wouldn’t be big enough to hold this crowd. Moreover, they would elicit unnecessary Muggle suspicion.’ Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Games and Sports, explained the reason behind this Multi-million Galleon project. 'This event only comes around once every four years, and this year, Britain has the honour of hosting the Quidditch World Cup. It was well worth the five hundred Ministry workers who spent the past year pulling it together.'





Well worth it indeed! To ensure a manageable distance from the Muggle population, a 20-minute walk through a magical lantern lit trail from the woods is required just to reach the campsite. The high golden wall of the Stadium was designed to absorb all noise that will be generated from the hundred thousand fans, who will be held inside. A Muggle Repelling Charm also protects every inch of the area, from the campsite to the Stadium.





'Those Muggle Repelling Charms have been in effect since the start of our construction. Every time Muggles get anywhere near here, they suddenly remember some urgent appointment,' Mr. Bagman said. 'We wish to ensure that everyone can fully enjoy these games without any concern about Muggle interventions.'





Ludo and his team should be applauded on the job well done for their preparation of this event. If only our home team had been even half as prepared.





English fans were widely disappointed on the outcome of the first elimination game. 'We lost,' Ryan Johnson wailed, 'I can't believe it! Spain was not even expected to reach the finals.'





According to George Malley, Head Coach of the English National Team, 'It was a combination of Spain's luck and our own negligence that we lost this round. However, we’re still in the running. Although I must commend the skill level of this game's set of National Players. Bulgaria's rookie Seeker, Viktor Krum, is definitely someone to watch for. I never thought I'd see someone perform the Wronski Feint so perfectly in my lifetime.'





Quidditch fans everywhere seem to have caught the 'Krum Fever' as well. Souvenir merchants can’t seem to keep up with the demand for 'Viktor Krum' merchandise. 'He has captured the imagination of Quidditch fans everywhere. He's so young yet he flies just like the late Ivan Wronski. It's hard to believe that he's in the Quidditch Hall of Fame, after only his first professional game.' Jane Leerie gushed as she wrapped up a prized Viktor Krum figurine. 'Take care of that. It'll soon be a rare collectible.'





Helmut Burowski, the Head Coach of the Bulgaria National Team shared how he came upon his star Seeker. 'I found him five years ago as I watched a Durmstrang game. He had plenty of raw talent, but he was still too young to be recruited for the last Quidditch World Cup. I approached him to introduce myself and asked that he keep practicing because I would likely want him in the future.' One cannot mistake the pride in his voice despite the heavy Bulgarian accent, 'He took that promise to heart. Viktor has more drive and dedication than anyone I know. I should say that I made the right decision in pushing for him be our starting Seeker in this World Cup.'





All the publicity and propaganda about Viktor Krum aside, he's but one of the many talented players slated to play for their respective countries. Each of these players had years of training behind them just to prepare for a game such as this.





After the Welsh's crushing loss of 50 to 200 points to Uganda, the only team at equal standing with the Bulgarians are the Irish. "The Bulgarians are the least of our worries, we ought to concentrate on our upcoming game against Luxemburg," said Aidan Lynch, starting Seeker of the Irish National Team, "but since you asked, I think we're a better team. This game is about teamwork and strategy, and not superstars. Our team has been working together for almost four years."





Whether it was the preparation of a typical Wizarding household, or the building of this Stadium, or the training the players had to go through, the games that we, the Quidditch fans are about to enjoy, took months, even years of preparation and hard work. Our love for this game is what makes all the hard work worth it.





The Quidditch World Cup only comes once every four years, so let us all enjoy this wonderful event to promote international ties and friendship. Most of all, let's just enjoy a great game of Quidditch.