Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Seventh Soul by PadfootBaby

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Nagini was returning. The Dark Lord could sense it. And about time, too. Voldemort stretched his spider-like hands impatiently. The snake had been on the road for more than a day with her information on that Potter boy. Hopefully she would bring news of a weakness that they could use against Potter. To break him down. He had to have one… POTTER! Lord Voldemort despised the sound of his name. That… child had thwarted his plans too many times. But not this time. Voldemort smiled, a cold, mirthless smile. This time, that fool Dumbledore would not be able to help him, thanks to the efforts of the Dark Lord’s faithful servant, Snape. No, that Mudblood-lover would never interfere again.

Voldemort’s smile faded. He hadn’t any idea where Snape or the Malfoy boy had Disapparated to, after that eventful night. His suspicions had begun to mount when his Death Eaters had been unsuccessful in finding them. His confidence lessened every day Snape was missing.

He was startled out of his reverie by a knock at his door. "My lord?" A woman with a pale, drawn face and stringy black hair stuck her head around the door. "My lord, Nagini is back."

Voldemort stood from the small chair he’d been sitting on. The woman at the door quickly backed away.

"Excellent. Alert the others, Bellatrix. I must speak to you all, after I have spoken with Nagini. Oh — and get Wormtail for me."

"Yes, my lord." Bellatrix Lestrange bowed deeply, then turned and with a swish of her robes Disapparated.

"Excellent," Voldemort repeated. He left the dingy room and began going downstairs.

As he surveyed his surroundings, his snake-like face twisted into a sneer. The Death Eaters had found a small, dilapidated house around the corner from Grimmauld Place, and the former headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix. Snape had told him where it was located, but since Snape wasn't the Order's Secret-Keeper, Voldemort himself still couldn't find it. Being on location still helped anyway. He had wanted to be right near there in case any Order members showed up. Though he didn’t think that likely, as Dumbledore’s death would have probably split them up and sent them running. Not to mention they probably wouldn’t trust each other again, thanks to their horrific betrayal.

Voldemort flicked a dead fly off the wall with distaste. The old house was very uncomfortable and so dirty, and there was always a draft floating around, but it would have to do. The house was also conveniently located close enough to Hogwarts that if it was reopened, Voldemort would be able to flatten it as easily as a fly. Now that Dumbledore was gone, Hogwarts posed neither a threat nor challenge.

Voldemort exited the house into a grungy alleyway. Three hooded Death Eaters were there, as well as a huge green snake. The Dark Lord hurried toward them, eyes narrowed with anticipation.

The Death Eaters bowed out of his way, murmuring "My lord" as he swept past. He ignored them and bent down next to Nagini. His followers eyed him nervously as he began hissing in Parseltongue to his snake. His uncanny ability unnerved them all. But the snake was a useful spy…

"Leave me!" Voldemort commanded, suddenly straightening. "You are all still here?" He pulled a long wand out of his robes and pointed it menacingly. "Get out!"

His Death Eaters stumbled over themselves as they tried to escape his deadly weapon. They had seen first-hand what a wand could do when in his possession. One by one, they Disapparated. All but the shortest person, a plump man with rat-like teeth and sparse, ginger-colored hair. His left hand seemed to be encased in a glove of shining silver.

"My lord?" he asked nervously. "You asked for me?"

"I don’t ask, Wormtail," Voldemort said lazily. "I tell. I thought you might have some useful information for me, for once."

"Oh, m-master…" Wormtail stammered. "I, ah… that is… No, no, I haven’t, my lord," he trailed off miserably. He cringed.

"I didn’t think you would," Voldemort said mildly. He pointed his wand at the cowering man. His mood suddenly seemed to change. "I could kill you right here if I chose!" he hissed. "You and all the rest of them!" After a moment he smoothly put the wand back in his pocket and watched the shaking Wormtail. He seemed to enjoy the man’s fear. "But today you’re in luck, Wormtail," Voldemort continued. "Nagini has brought back some interesting news that almost makes up for your incompetence. Very interesting news. No," and here he leaned down toward Wormtail, "No, I shall not kill you today. I could think of a whole other host of things that need doing, so why should I waste my time on a sniveling creature like you?"

Wormtail seemed to break down with relief. "Yes… yes, why should… Thank you, my lord…"

"No," Voldemort interrupted. "I'll let someone else do that. I have a mission for you, Wormtail, and you may not come out of it alive. Not that that would be any great loss."

Wormtail blanched. "A-a mission?" He was trembling hard now. "W-what is it, m-my lord?"

"Hmmm," the Dark Lord said. He began pacing up and down in the alleyway. Nagini hissed anxiously and followed him. "Well, Wormtail, Nagini was sent to follow the Harry Potter boy. I trust you remember him? You actually needed him to save your miserable carcass three years ago, didn’t you?" Wormtail shrank back. He’d been sure that he had seen Voldemort’s hand twitch toward his pocket… but he had imagined such things before. He had grown extremely paranoid over his years of service. It was one of the many prices he had paid in following such a cruel master.

"One of my most loyal Death Eaters," Voldemort continued. "One of my most trusted followers… had to rely on a thirteen-year-old boy… a mere child… to get him out of a tight spot! 'Save me, Harry, save me!'" He spat on the ground and drew his wand so fast that Wormtail just spotted it.

Wormtail quickly backed away…

"CRUCIO!"

…But not quickly enough. He was hit by a fierce spell that almost made him double over with pain. A hundred knives were piercing him all over… He couldn’t breath... He was writhing blindly on the ground, and he dimly heard Voldemort laughing above him…

The spell was suddenly lifted and Wormtail lay there, sobbing. Voldemort cruelly kicked him in the side, sneering at him distastefully. "Look at you!" he hissed. "Cowering on the ground like a filthy rat! Which, come to think of it, you are!" Voldemort laughed evilly, his anger evaporating... or so it seemed. Voldemort was too unpredictable to assume anything about him. His wrath could be lurking just below the surface... waiting to be reawakened...

Wormtail got up shakily. His body was still tingling with pain, but the Dark Lord ignored him. Voldemort’s snakelike face twisted again, angrily. "Do you have any idea how great a bond this creates between you and Potter? You owe him a debt now! I’m surprised Dumbledore didn’t see... but yes — yes, he most likely did..." Voldemort was pacing again. "Yes, I’m sure he would have told... Never mind. Wormtail. Nagini here told me that Potter is headed for the home of those blood-traitor Westleys —"

"Weasleys," Wormtail corrected automatically. As soon as he said it he knew it was wrong and clapped his hand over his mouth. "I-I’m so sorry — please... my lord... I did not — I didn’t think..." he stammered with horror.

To his relief, Voldemort didn’t seem to be too angry. "Yes, that’s always your trouble, isn’t it Wormtail? YOU NEVER THINK. But I’ll let you make up for it this time, Wormtail. Potter is headed for the Weasleys' house. I believe there is going to be a wedding... Make it a night to remember — for them and Potter. He has a girlfriend there now, did you know?" He grinned, but the effect it had on his snakish face was hideous. "Bring as many Death Eaters as you like. Does your pathetic little mind understand?"

"Yes, my lord," said Wormtail, bowing to the ground.

"Good," the Dark Lord said. Wormtail turned to go. "Oh, and Wormtail?" The shorter man stopped. "Yes, master?"

"Nagini says that Potter will be heading to Godric’s Hollow after the 'wedding.'" He smiled again, evilly. "I trust you remember where that is, don't you Wormtail?"

Wormtail shuddered, painful memories flooding his mind. "Yes, I do, my lord."

"I thought you might. Hmmm. Ready a surprise welcome-home party for him, for his arrival, Wormtail! After all, he hasn’t been there since his lucky escape to fame. Him and his two little friends. The Weasley boy and that Mudblood girl."

Voldemort picked up Nagini, who twined around his shoulders. He turned away. "You may now go, Wormtail."

"Yes my lord."

Wormtail bowed and, turning, transformed into a large rat that scurried away into the night. Voldemort ignored him and stared unseeingly off into the distance, absently stroking Nagini as he waited for the other Death Eaters to arrive. "But you won’t be so lucky this time, Harry Potter," he whispered to the darkness. "Not this time..."