Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Seventh Soul by PadfootBaby

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Horribly sad chapter! Make sure to grab a box of tissues!
Harry sat at the entrance to the Burrow, head resting on his arms. The house had already been mended magically by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, and apart from being a bit more crooked than before, it looked none the worse for the wear for having been burnt up. Harry dimly wondered how they had fixed it so fast, but he didn’t much care. The house was the last thing on his mind as he sat there dejectedly.

It was the day of Ginny’s funeral. True to Mr. Weasley’s word, it had only been two days since her death, which still weighed heavily on Harry’s heart. If only a broken heart could be mended with magic as easily as the house had been. Harry felt he had been torn into pieces by the Death Eaters’ attack. They had taken away from him the one person who had meant the most to him, and he would never be able to recover from this brutal attack on his already fragile heart. Cedric... Sirius... Dumbledore... and now Ginny.

Harry stared blindly out over the grounds. A fresh grave had already been dug for Ginny’s body. Hermione and a few of the Weasleys were milling around the site, preparing for the ceremony which would be held later in the afternoon.

Harry didn’t know how he’d be able to cope with the funeral. This would be the second in three months that he’d had to attend. Dumbledore’s had been bad enough ” now he would have to face Ginny’s, which would feel far worse, since he had been so much closer to her. At least this time there wouldn’t be a big crowd of people shoving there faces at him to see how he felt. Saying their final goodbyes to Ginny would be a small, quiet affair. There would be no one there except for Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys themselves. Charlie, however, would not be able to arrive on time. Mr. Weasle had sent him an owl just that morning, and he had still not gotten an answer back. Percy the prat had also been written the horrible news, but the owl, Errol, had been sent back without a reply. Nobody had any idea how he felt or whether he was coming.

Harry felt too horrible to do anything beside sit there, but he knew he couldn’t stand not doing anything either, so he stood and entered the Burrow. He began wandering aimlessly about, hands stuffed in his pockets, lost in his own thoughts.

After a moment or two he looked up and found himself in Ginny’s room upstairs. How on earth had he managed to get here, of all places? There was too much in here that would remind him of his loss...

But instead of turning and leaving, Harry found himself moving forward. He looked around. The cramped room was very neat, even though it had been touched by fire in some places. There was a small bed with a pink-and-purple quilt on top. There was a small table with a lamp next to the bed. On the wall next to the bed was a big, bright poster of the Tutshill Tornados Quidditch team, with the players zooming about on their broomsticks. At the opposite wall, next to the door, a short dresser stood. Ginny’s broom lay on top of it, and Harry touched it lightly, trying to feel Ginny through the wood. He remembered the time just last year when she had accidentally-on-purpose crashed into Zacharias Smith, a bratty Hufflepuff, after the Gryffindor team had won a game. Harry smiled. It felt good to remember Ginny that way, as the active, smiling person she had always been.

He started wandering around her room again. As he passed the bed, he suddenly tripped on something hard. He landed heavily, facing the underside of the bed. His round glasses had just slipped off and flown halfway across the room when he spotted a small book hidden under the bed. He reached out and grabbed it, then sat back up, dusting off his robes. Putting his glasses back on, he studied the book curiously. It looked like an ordinary diary, with a magical lock fixed to the outside. After thinking a moment, Harry pulled out his wand and lightly tapped the cover, which to Harry’s complete surprise immediately sprang open. He looked at the first page. Yes, it was a diary. It was also fairly new. Feeling just a bit guilty, Harry turned the page and began reading...

September 6

Today I’m going back to Hogwarts for my fifth year there. I’m so excited! I’m sure this will be a year to remember. I love our school. And magic.^_^ I’m going to try out for our Quidditch team this year. Wonder who will be the new DADA teacher?

Harry and Hermione are here as well, getting set to leave. Hermione and I have been talking about Harry. She says that if I just try and be myself around him, maybe he’ll notice me more. I sure notice him! When he arrived, I tried doing what she said. At first I felt really weird, but after awhile it felt really nice to be around him, talking to him. I wonder if he noticed my looking at him a bit more than usual?

Well, it’s time to go! I can’t wait to see all my friends back at school. I’m going out with Dean Thomas now. He’s nice, but I’m sorry to say I’m not all that interested in him as, you know, a long-term thing. I can’t stop thinking about Harry! Maybe he’ll get jealous and finally get up the courage to ask me out! Hmmm...

...I’m centered too much on him. He probably won’t ever notice me anyway. I’ll ask Hermione about it later, on the train. Tomorrow I’ll be at Hogwarts!


Harry smiled a little. Yes, he had noticed her, and she had gotten him jealous. He couldn’t believe Hermione had been in on this whole plot to snag Harry. He turned the page. The next entry was almost two months later.

November 3

Sorry I haven’t been writing! Lots of stuff has been on my mind. Lemme bring you up to date: I am now a Chaser/substitute Seeker for the Gryffindor Quidditch team! And guess who’s the captain? Harry!!!

Horace Slughorn is the new teacher for Potions. He’s pretty nice, but he seems a bit conceited. Almost reminds me of Lockhart, though not quite as full of himself. Snape is teaching DADA, which was a huge surprise.

We’ve already won quite a few games, even though Katie wasn’t around. Dean had to replace her. I think I’ve gotten Harry jealous! He and Ron caught us snogging in a corridor, and Ron blew up, but Harry had the funniest look on his face! Even though at the moment I was bashing on Ron, I couldn’t help but notice the way Harry was staring at me, as if he’d realized for the first time that I was a girl! He can be so cute.

Hermione really likes Ron. She won’t admit it, but I can see the way she is when Ron is with his new girlfriend, Lavender. She’s starting to hate Lavender. She says it’s because she’s so stuck-up, but I know better!

We’re going home for Christmas soon. Hermione and Harry’s coming with us, too! It’s going to be a wonderful holiday! I’ll try to write again soon!


Harry grinned. He hadn’t realized how smitten Ginny had been with him. He and Quidditch were the main things she liked to talk about in her diary. It wasn’t really a surprise to him that Hermione liked Ron ” he had also noticed how she looked when Lavender was around him. Lav-Lav and Won-Won!

Harry flipped through a few pages. The intervals between entries became longer and longer until he came to the last page. His grin faded as he read.

May 27

This is a horrible day. I considered not writing in here, because I don’t want to have to relive what’s happened. But I feel I have to just get it out.

When the Death Eaters attacked Hogwarts a few nights ago, Professor Dumbledore was killed by Snape, who’s turned out to still be loyal to You-Know-Who. He ran off with Draco Malfoy, who apparently was supposed to kill Dumbledore but chickened out at the last moment. Good riddance to the little ferret (ha-ha).

Bill got hurt real bad by a werewolf, but he’s now doing okay. Phlegm and Bill’s wedding is still on for the summer. Today we had a funeral for the Headmaster. It felt horrible! I hope I never have to go to another funeral for someone I knew and cared about.


Here Harry’s eyes watered, and he stopped for a moment to clean his glasses, which had gotten very foggy. She never did have to go to another funeral, Harry thought sadly. Instead, we have to go to hers.

He pulled a stray tissue from his robes and forcefully blew his nose. He then continued reading.

Harry looks terrible. I think he feels responsible for what happened. After the funeral he came up to me and told me that we couldn’t be together anymore. (Yes, we did eventually get together.) I love Harry so much, but I think I understand why he had to go. He said that You-Know-Who would try to get at me if he knew I was so important to him. I hated his choice; I wanted to stay with him forever. Some of the happiest days of my life were spent with him. I’ll miss him so much. I think I’ve fallen in love, diary... I wish...

Here the entry suddenly cut off. Harry stopped and closed the book again. Two months later, Ginny had been brutally murdered, and he didn’t want to think about that right now. He replaced the diary under the bed and stood up, trying to wipe away any trace of tears from his face.

He suddenly heard someone coming up the stairs, so he ran to the door and tried to look as if he hadn’t been in Ginny’s room. Hermione appeared at the top of the staircase.

“Harry?” she said hesitantly. Harry knew why she was acting so meek; last time he had talked to her, he’d blown up in her face. He felt bad about it, but wasn’t sure quite how to apologize. “Harry... we’re ready to start outside. Are you ” are you coming?”

Harry nodded silently. Hermione looked like she wanted to say something else, but she apparently changed her mind and went back downstairs.

After standing there a moment as if he were frozen, Harry shook himself and followed Hermione’s lead. In the kitchen, by the front door, he stopped and looked back, taking everything in. He planned to leave that night, if he could, and he didn’t know if he’d ever see the Burrow again. How he’d loved this house! I first met Ginny in this very room, he thought. Tears came to his eyes as he remembered. He finally turned abruptly and exited the house, to the Weasleys’ yard.

Hermione and the Weasley family were gathered around the grave they’d dug for Ginny’s body. She was on the lawn next to it, in a beautiful wooden casket. As Harry approached it, the casket seemed to shimmer, making it obvious that it had been made magically.

Ron and Hermione stood partly away from everyone else, holding hands to comfort each other. Ron looked behind him and, seeing Harry, nudged Hermione on the shoulder. She also looked back, and seemed to be surprised to see Harry. That wasn’t very surprising, though. He hadn’t spoken to either of them since Ginny’s death.

Ron and Hermione both moved over to make room for their friend, but Harry walked past them, to the rest of the Weasley family. He didn’t really feel like talking to them just now, so he stood next to Fred and George in front of the grave.

Mr. Weasley strode forward. He opened his mouth to begin the funeral, but suddenly someone Apparated behind him with a loud crack. He and all the others spun around simultaneously to see who it was. To Harry’s complete surprise, Percy had just appeared on the Burrow lawn. Looking around at everyone else, Harry saw that they hadn’t been expecting Percy to come at all, either.

Percy didn’t look at anyone. He just came forward, head bowed, until he stopped at Ginny’s grave. Then he just stood there, waiting silently for Mr. Weasley to speak.

Mr. Weasley seemed flustered by Percy’s appearance, and didn’t say anything for a moment. Then he took a deep breath.

“We are here today to remember and celebrate the life of our beloved Ginny. We all knew her, of course. She was close to each of us, and I’m sure you’ll all miss her as much as I d-do”” Harry’s eyes welled with tears. Mr. Weasley broke down for a moment, then gulped and continued. “I’m sorry... She was a daughter, sister, friend, and”” here he glanced at Harry “”perhaps more than just a friend, to some. She was loyal, trustworthy, and had a great zest for life.” He smiled a bit. “Frankly, I’m sure she would hate such a solemn gathering, especially for her. She’d probably expect a happier funeral, like she lived.”

Harry smiled to himself. Yes, she always was one for living, Ginny. She would hate a quiet, sad funeral like this. He would miss her so...

Mr. Weasley continued, “As I’m sure many of you know from experience, she had a horrible temper. She could go from happy and joking to moody and angry in three seconds, and I know this because Fred and George actually timed her on it once.”

Fred grinned a bit, remembering, and elbowed George in the ribs. Harry heard him as he whispered, “Remember that, George? She got so mad at us when she found out we were doing it...”

“...that she smashed our timer to pieces,” George finished. He grinned too. “That was brilliant.”

“Ahem.” Mr. Weasley cleared his throat and looked down at the twins warningly. They immediately stopped talking. Mr. Weasley continued, “She knew who her friends were, and stuck by them to the end. Despite her temper, she was incredibly loyal. She was also a great fighter, our Ginny. She was very stubborn. Once she got her head around some idea, she would never let go, no matter how fierce the argument. When Ginny made up her mind, she never changed it, not for anything.”

Harry nodded. That had indeed been one of Ginny’s most... entertaining qualities. She’d argue for hours to get the conversation going in her advantage. Harry remembered once, when he and Ron had found her kissing Dean. She had yelled and screamed at Ron until he couldn’t think of anything else to say, then gone in for the kill, getting the last word in before stomping away. Ginny had always been able to get the last word.

Harry turned his attention back to Mr. Weasley, who now seemed to be fumbling for words. “...I’m glad you could all be here, today. I’m sure Gnny would be glad, too, having her family together again...” Harry was sure he was referring to Percy, and he automatically looked over to Percy, trying to guess his reaction. Surprisingly, he was crying; still staring at the ground, but crying nonetheless.

Almost everyone around Harry was crying, but Harry himself wasn’t. He didn’t know what was the matter with him. He just knew that he couldn’t cry for Ginny. Perhaps he had already cried all his tears out, with Sirius and Dumbledore and everyone who had gone before them. Perhaps his subconscious didn’t want to cry because Ginny wouldn’t have liked it. For whatever reason, Harry couldn’t cry, so he stood there numbly, staring at her casket.

“Erm...” Mr. Weasley said awkwardly. “If you’d all like to... say goodbye to her, before we bury the casket...”

Everybody stood frozen for a moment, each unwilling to be the first person to approach the grave. Finally, Percy strode up, swiping at his eyes. They all watched as he looked miserably down at Ginny, then said quietly, “I’m sorry... for snapping at you whenever you’d bother me... I wish I had another chance...” He swallowed, then reached into his robes pocket and pulled out a small red rose, which he placed tenderly on top of the lid. “Goodbye...” he whispered. He glanced up and stiffened when he saw Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys staring at him. He quickly backed away and stood awkwardly a few feet from the grave.

The rest of the Weasleys slowly followed suit, going up to Ginny and murmuring their last words to her. Ron and Hermione went up together and came away crying, hugging each other for support. Harry watched them, wishing he was with them, but felt he had to do this alone. Such support would have been nice, but Harry doubted it would help him.

Finally, he was the only one left. He clenched his teeth and approached slowly, mind racing. What was he supposed to say to the lifeless body of one who had been so close to him?

Reaching the casket, he looked down at Ginny’s pale face. Her eyes were closed, and there seemed to be a hint of a smile on her lips. Her flaming red hair was neatly arranged around her head. Her hands were folded carefully on her chest. Harry’s eyes watered. She looked so beautiful, even in death. If he hadn’t seen her die, he would have believed that she was only sleeping.

A mixture of feelings bubbled up inside Harry as he stood there, staring down at her lifeless face. He was tired, so tired of this... realizing how much he cared for people like Sirius, and Ginny... then having them cruelly snatched away. He was angry, hating the Dark side more and more every time he lost someone.

Harry gently brushed a tendril of hair from Ginny’s pale forehead. He suddenly remembered something Dumbledore had told him, less than a year ago... “You are protected, in short, by your ability to love.” Harry snorted. More like a curse than protection, love is, he thought bitterly. Every time I start to love someone, get close to them... So many people have died, now, you’d think I’d know better...

He opened his mouth to say something, anything, but a huge lump had lodged itself in his throat. He fought the horrible feeling for a moment, uncomfortably aware of the Weasleys’ eyes on his back. Finally he gave up and stood there, still as a stone, as a single tear trickled down his face. He stopped struggling for the words to say, and instead thought his last words to Ginny.

I’m so sorry we didn’t have more time together, Ginny. But I-I’m glad we had the time we did. You were so wonderful, such a great friend, a great person... I’m sure you fought it till the end. I’m so proud of you, Ginny. Ilove you so much... I hope you knew just how much...

Tears were freely cascading down his cheeks now. Emotion filled Harry’s heart as memories flew unbidden through his mind.

Ginny, sending Harry a singing valentine her first year... Ginny, working to pull Ron and Hermione together... refusing to speak in front of him, she used to be so shy... Ginny, dancing at the Yule Ball, red hair floating behind her as she twirled around, laughing... Ginny, fighting side by side with Harry in the Department of Mysteries... making everyone grin with her sarcastic comments at Quidditch practice... Ginny, laughing at Ron and his brief romance with Lavender Brown...

The memories were coming thicker and faster now. Harry slumped against her casket, overcome with grief. He let the memories pour out like blood from a wound, trying to alleviate this pain, this unspeakable pain.

Ginny, who liked to call Fleur Delacour “Phlegm”... whose raging temper had earned her a reputation at Hogwarts... Harry kissing Ginny... Ginny... Ginny...

Memories swept by so quickly they turned into a blur. All Harry could see was Ginny’s face, over and over again... sweet, sweet Ginny... If Harry hadn’t been so blind, they could have had years more together... but her time had now run out, and there was nothing Harry could do.

“Goodbye, Ginny,” he whispered. He leaned down and tenderly kissed her, for the last time. Stepping away, he wiped his eyes and looked at everyone else. Mr. Weasley met Harry’s gaze, and Harry saw the question there. He nodded, and stood back as Mr. Weasley carefully closed the casket and lowered it into the grave. “Goodbye...” Harry repeated, swallowing hard.

She was gone.




A couple hours later...

Harry sat miserably back on the front steps of the Burrow. He had planned to leave right after the funeral, but now that it came to it, he felt strangely reluctant to leave. He watched as Mr. Weasley magically put the final touches on Ginny’s tombstone with his wand. Ron and Hermione wandered aimlessly around the lawn. Everyone else was inside, but Harry didn’t feel like facing them all right now.

After a few minutes, he sighed and stood up. There was no point in delaying his exit; if anything, staying longer would make him feel worse when he did eventually leave. But instead of going inside to say goodbye, he cut through the side of the house. He wanted to avoid saying any more goodbyes... It had been painful enough doing so to Ginny. He just wanted to go without further heartbreak.

He reached the place in the yard where he’d dropped his backpack. He slowly shrugged it on, then whistled for Hedwig. His owl dropped from the sky as if she’d been waiting for him to call.

“Ready to get out of here, Hedwig?” he said quietly. Hedwig nipped his finger in answer and settled more comfortably on his shoulder. Harry knew he should smile, but he felt as though nothing would ever make him smile ” or laugh ” again. Ginny always could make him crack a smile...

Harry forced any thought of her out of his mind and grimly strode toward the front lawn. He approached Mr. Weasley first. He had his back to Harry, but when Harry opened his mouth to speak, the older man sighed and said, “So, you’re really going, Harry?”

The question caught Harry off-guard. He stammered for a moment, then said, “Yes... um...”

Mr. Weasley turned around. Harry was embarrassed to see tear stains on his face. “Harry... Thank you for staying. Till today, I mean. I know... I know how difficult it must have been for you, to see her like that...” He took a deep breath. “Believe me, it’s likely no one else understands how you’re feeling as well as I. Just... Thank you.”

“Yeah,” Harry said softly. They were both quiet for a moment, staring down at Gnny’s grave. Finally Harry blurted, “Listen, Mr. Weasley, it’s not that I don’t want to stay, it’s just ” ”

Mr. Weasley raised his hand, cutting Harry off in mid-sentence, and placed it on his shoulder. “I know this is something you have to do, Harry. Please, just ” be careful, alright? I’m sure we’ll see each other again.”

He squeezed Harry’s shoulder, then turned and walked away, head bowed. Harry felt immense guilt, watching Mr. Weasley walk away, but he knew he had no choice. This was something he had to do on his own.

He turned and kept walking. As he rounded the corner he saw Ron and Hermione. At least say a proper goodbye, a small voice insisted. Harry reluctantly found himself walking to his two friends.

Hermione looked up and, seeing Harry, nudged Ron in the side. Ron immediately looked up too and stopped walking. He tried to grin, but couldn’t quite manage it. “Hey, Harry.”

“Hey,” Harry said.

He swallowed. He struggled to fill in the silence, but Ron beat him to it. “Harry ” Are you really planning to leave without us?”

“Yeah, Ron... I’m actually leaving right ” right now,” Harry said. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Listen, Harry... Are you mental, you can’t go without us, you’ll get yourself killed!” Ron stood and shoved his face into Harry’s. The look of worry on his face was overwhelming, and Harry broke eye contact first. “You’re crazy, if Dumbledore couldn’t get the Horcruxes himself, you sure can’t!...”

At this, Harry exploded. “So Dumbledore was stupid, was he? He trusted Snape, got himself killed, and was stupid, is that what you’re saying?”

Ron slowly backed away from Harry. He shook his head and turned around, crossing his arms angrily. Hermione jumped in. “Harry, please. You know that’s not what Ron meant, now stop it!” Her voice rose hysterically. She seemed to be on the verge of tears. “We’re just worried about you! We want to help, and you won’t let us!”

Harry opened his mouth to contradict her, but the words were frozen in his throat. He knew she was right. They stared at each other.

“Tell everyone else I said bye, alright?” Harry whispered. Hermione shook her head suddenly, as if willing Harry not to go. Her eyes seemed to plead with him as she looked at him. They stood that way, for several long, uncomfortable minutes.

Harry couldn’t take it anymore. He finally turned and walked away, leaving Hermione staring after him. She shouted, “Harry, wait!” but he ignored her. Don’t look back, don’t look back, don’t look back... Tears welled up in his eyes, but he refused to listen to Hermione’s pleading voice. After a few minutes, she fell silent, and Harry could hear Ron talking with her. But he didn’t look back. He walked away from the Burrow, away from the only family he had ever known. Away from Ron, Hermione, and the Weasleys. Away from Ginny...

But as he walked he made up his mind. He knew with an absolute certainty where he was going to go. He would head back to his first home. To his parents’ home.

Back to Godric’s Hollow.