Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Worst Friends, Best Enemies by halfbloodprincess22

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As soon as his feet were on solid ground, Potter wrenched his arm out of the Death Eater’s grasp. Before Granger could do the same, he dropped her arm.



“What’s going on?” Potter yelled, standing in front of Granger protectively, whipping out his wand. He looked around. “Where are we?”



“You should know,” said the Death Eater quietly. Potter glanced at his surroundings more carefully. It was Grimmauld Place.



“But-but…” Potter spluttered, lowering his wand in amazement. “Okay, what’s going on?”



The Death Eater cast a wary look around. “Just get inside,” he hissed, pushing Potter and Granger forward. Magically number twelve Grimmauld Place appeared and the three of them hurried inside.



“Okay, now what the heck is happening here?” Potter asked. “Who are you? How did you know this was the Order?”



Something was happening to the Death Eater. His scars were melting away into his skin, his hair was turning red, freckles were popping up everywhere…and before Potter and Granger’s amazed eyes, he morphed into Fred Weasley.



Potter was so shocked he couldn’t say a word.



Granger, however, collected her wits and said, “Fred…what’s going on?”



“I was working undercover for the Order,” Fred said. “Now I just completely blew my cover, but I had to do something. But-guys-I found something out…”



“Malfoy kidnapped Ginny, didn’t he?” asked Potter immediately. “I’m right. I know I am! That dirty little…”



Fred cut him off. “Malfoy hasn’t done anything. Let me just say this, okay?” he took a deep, steadying breath, and said, as calmly as possible, “Voldemort’s not dead.”



Suddenly it was like Potter’s oxygen supply had been cut off and he couldn’t breath. His blood had become tiny little knives piercing every part of his body. He staggered into a chair and said simply, “How?”



Fred sat down next to him. “There’s one more Horcrux. It was created just before we thought you’d killed him. It’s the Sorting Hat, and I even know where it is. So we’ve got a pretty good headstart.”



“So…Voldemort’s got Ginny and Malfoy, I guess?” Potter sighed.



Fred nodded miserably. “Yes, and it doesn’t look good for them. Especially Malfoy.”



“We’ve got to do something,” said Potter desperately. “But what?”



Just then Granger spoke up. “Where’s Ron?” she squeaked.



“Ron!” Potter jumped up. “We left him at Gringotts. How could we forget him?”



“Oh, God.” Fred groaned. “How in the world did I forget Ron? I’ll bet you anything those Death Eaters took him. There’s no way they didn’t recognize him. Oh, this is all my fault…”



“Great.” Granger flopped into a chair. “So Voldemort’s alive. He’s got Ron, Ginny, and Malfoy. There’s one more Horcrux…where?”



“Somewhere in Snape’s house,” Fred supplied quickly.



“The trapdoor!” Potter exclaimed, jumping to his feet. “Hermione, you’ve got to get into Snape’s vault. But…well, Gringotts is destroyed right now. I have a feeling you won’t be getting that job for awhile.”



“Then how are we going to get the key?” asked Granger.



Potter shrugged. “We’ll just have to get it ourselves.”



“Wait a second,” said Fred. “We can’t just go breaking into a Gringotts vault. That’s possibly the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.”



Potter felt like screaming. What they needed was locked up in Snape’s cellar. The only way they could get inside was the key; and the key was in Gringotts. They had to get into Gringotts. Potter knew it was risky, but how could Fred be so stupid?



“Look,” said Potter through clenched teeth, “I have to get the key. It’s the most important thing right now.”



“What I’m saying is,” said Fred quietly, realizing Potter’s frustration, “is that it’s dangerous and stupid to go gallavanting into Gringotts. People get sucked into those vaults and never seen again. We need help.” He smiled suddenly. “We need somebody who knows Gringotts better than we do.”



“Bill,” the three of them said at the same time.



“So where is he?” asked Potter. He was impatient, wanting to get going and do something, not just sit around while his friends were in danger.



“Egypt, of course. I’m not exactly sure where, though.”



“So, we’ll find him. Let’s go!” Potter was ready to Apparate right away, but Fred stopped him.



“Egypt’s huge. If we Apparate there, we could be looking for weeks.”



“Fred’s right, Harry. We’ll just send him a letter and hopefully he’ll be here before too long.”



“Fine,” sighed Potter, sitting back down. He hated waiting.



Fred summoned a sheet of paper and a pencil and hastily scribbled a note. “Harry, do you have any idea where Hedwig could be?”



Hedwig! Potter had forgotten all about his owl in the past few days. “Um…I guess not.”



“Fine. We’ll just use one of the post office’s owls. We should probably post this right away.” Potter and Granger agreed, so Fred left for the post office to send the letter to Bill.



“Hermione,” said Potter, pacing the room, “we have to go rescue Ron and Ginny and Malfoy. Now, or they don’t stand a chance. We can’t wait until we have the key. They’ll all be dead by then.”



Granger nodded. “I know,” she said softly. “But…we have to make sure Voldemort doesn’t see us. You’re not ready for a full-out duel with him yet, especially since there’s another Horcrux.”



“I know.” Potter sat back down. He was jumpy, restless. “But we have to try. I can’t just sit here while they get killed!”



“Well then, let’s go save them,” said Granger resolutely, though she looked pale and shaky.



Potter nodded. “As soon as Fred comes back.”



* * * * * * * * * *



The old Riddle mansion in Little Hangleton hadn’t seen much action since the year of the Quidditch World Cup, when Frank Bryce had been murdered.



But recently, the place had been crawling with Death Eaters and other assorted filth and scum. A whole floor was being occupied by Inferi, who were tearing the place apart.



It was here that the band of Death Eaters brought Ginny, Malfoy, and now the youngest red-headed Weasley boy. Malfoy, it seemed, had just given up. He didn’t resist as Grayback grabbed his arm and Apparated away, though the Weasleys were putting up quite a fight. But Malfoy was limp and listless, all his hope gone.



When they arrived at the Riddle manor, Malfoy’s despair was sealed. The Death Eaters were not at all happy to see the traitor whose actions had almost resulted in their Lord’s death. There’s no way I’m going to get out of this, he thought miserably. He’s going to kill me, and then Potter…



But it seemed that Voldemort was not in the mansion. Relief flooded through Malfoy, but it was short-lived. Voldemort wouldn’t be away forever. He, Ginny, and Weasley were locked in the basement.



The Weasleys immediately searched the entire basement, looking for a possible escape route. “You won’t find anything,” Malfoy said in a hollow-sounding voice, sinking to the grimy floor. “You think they’re that dumb?”



“Oh, shut up, Malfoy,” said Ginny bitingly. “How can you just sit there and let them kill you? You don’t even want to try to fight?”



“What’s the point? They’ll win in the end.”



“No, they won’t,” Ginny said fiercely. “Harry will kill him. He has to.”



Malfoy got to his feet. “What do you know, you filthy blood traitor?” he yelled. “Potter’s eighteen years old, and Voldemort’s the greatest Dark wizard ever to live.”



“Don’t talk to my sister that way, Malfoy,” said Weasley threateningly.



Malfoy ignored him. “Do either of you have your wands?”



They shook their heads. Of course they didn’t.



“And I’m guessing we won’t be able to Apparate out of here. Well, I’m not trying, anyway. We could end up splinched, or worse.”



Ginny nodded and started feeling the walls. “But if there’s a loose brick or something…”



“Forget it. The Death Eaters aren’t stupid.”



Just then there was a crash upstairs. Malfoy looked up, frightened. “Oh, no,” he moaned. “Voldemort must be back! We’re done for!”



“Shut up, Malfoy!” Ginny ran up the rickety basement stairs and pressed her ear against the door, listening. “Whatever’s happening, it doesn’t sound good…”



There was a loud BOOM, and the door exploded, throwing Ginny backwards. She crashed into the wall and slumped on the ground, knocked out. Weasley ran over to her, but Malfoy was frozen in place with fear. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from the hole where the door had used to be. Who would come through…Voldemort?



But it wasn’t Voldemort who ran down into the basement.



Potter.



“Potter!” said Malfoy hoarsely, hurrying towards him. He was already bent over Ginny, stroking her hair. “Let’s get out of here,” Malfoy suggested, “and you can care for your girlfriend somewhere else.”



Potter nodded, barely giving Malfoy a glance. It seemed he had eyes only for Ginny. He carried her up the stairs; Malfoy and Weasley followed him.



The mansion was in chaos. Granger and Fred Weasley were battling five or six livid Death Eaters who barely noticed the foursome running out the door. Granger and Fred turned and ran out, too, dodging the spells coming at their backs as well as they could. Before the Death Eaters could follow them outside, Granger grabbed Malfoy’s arm and they Apparated away.



They arrived in a flushed, red-faced, tangled-up heap at Grimmauld Place. Malfoy wrenched his arm out of Granger’s hand and jumped to his feet, dusting himself off.



Potter got up as well, taking a quick head count to make sure everybody was present. A smile stretched across his face. “We did it,” he said.



Fred was bent over Ginny. “She’s unconscious,” he said, looking up, sounding worried.



Potter’s smile vanished and he knelt down by Fred. “Let’s get her inside,” he said. “We probably should stay here until Bill comes. The Death Eaters aren’t going to be happy.”



Fred picked up Ginny and went inside. Granger followed but turned back at the door. “Will Malfoy be able to get in?” she asked. “I’m not exactly sure how the Fidelius Charm works, but Dumbledore was the Secret-Keeper and he’s dead.”



“She’s right,” said Potter. “Dumbledore has to tell you. I got a note from him, but that was in fifth year, I wouldn’t have it anymore…”



“Where can we go, then?” asked Malfoy, hating to complicate things when they were already so bad.



“This is the safest place,” said Potter. “You should all stay here. Malfoy and I will find somewhere to stay…we’ll be okay.”



Granger looked worried. “Where can you go, though? The Death Eaters will find you.”



Potter sighed. “I know. But I can’t leave Malfoy alone.”



Malfoy studied Potter. Was he seriously leaving this safe haven where he could stay, away from all harm, just to ensure Malfoy’s own safety?



But Potter looked determined and resolved, not a bit of flakiness in his vivid green eyes. Malfoy felt guilty about his earlier rage, and said, “It’s okay, Potter. Stay here. You’ll be safe. I’ll find a place to go. Really. I’ll let you know where I am.”



“Well…okay, if you’re sure,” said Potter uncertainly. “When Bill comes, we’ll come get you, so make sure you send us an owl…”



“Bill?”



“Oh, Bill Weasley. He works for Gringotts and he’s going to help us get into Snape’s vault.”



“Snape’s…?” What would they do in Snape’s vault? Oh. Malfoy grinned as he realized why they were going. “Oh, right. The key.”



“The trapdoor’s where the Horcrux is, Malfoy.”



“So…we have to…destroy it?”



“Yes.”



Malfoy winced. It was bad enough he’d betrayed Voldemort once, but twice? He’d have to hide out the rest of his life. He’d never be safe again.



“After that I can kill Voldemort once and for all.”



The look on Potter’s face was so determined that Malfoy had no doubt that he would vanquish Voldemort forever.