Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Truths Unwritten by Astrid Skywalker

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
For Marie and Beth, my lovely J/L homegirls . . .

TRUTHS UNWRITTEN

Snow


Head and Prefects’ Lounge, 2:17 PM

A curtain of snowflakes obscured the Christmas-card scenery taking place outside the window. The glass pane felt stingingly icy against Lily Evans’s cheek, and she drew her face back slightly, watching as a small patch of fog covered the section where her skin had previously been. As she observed the chilly snowfall outside, she shivered and drew the comfy wool blanket tighter about her shoulders. It was Saturday, the weekend before the start of the January term, and being one of the four student leaders left at Hogwarts, she took advantage of the empty lounge. Her holiday term work was spread across two desks by the fireplace, and a huge stack of dog-eared volumes stood beside them. At present, she was curled up in an armchair, with her feet tucked beneath her. David Copperfield rested on her lap, and she sighed contentedly, sinking further into the soft cushions and turning back to the page she was reading.

It had been a quiet holiday. Most of the Hogwarts population had gone home to their families, and the school was quite deserted. From the Gryffindor lot, only six people in Lily’s year remained: her, James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, and Susan Ross, a girl who shared Lily’s dormitory. She and Susan didn’t particularly get along, mostly because Susan tried to outdo her at everything, even if it was crystal clear that the only people who could match Lily’s brilliance at school were James and Sirius. It was ironic that two of the most notorious pranksters were also two of the most intelligent boys in their year, though Lily had gotten a tad used to them already. Four months of working with James in the Headship hadn’t been as hellish as she expected, even if she had to deal with his gang’s occasional pranks. She and James had had quite a harmonious partnership. Even though he still had that arrogant swagger about him, James had proven himself quite the responsible leader.

The wind howled eerily outside, causing Lily to glance up from her book once more. Silently wondering where James had gone again in such horrible weather, she closed her book and reached for the steaming mug of hot chocolate perched on the side table. Sirius had come to pick James up from the lounge when the snowfall started, bringing with him James’s cloak and gloves. At first, Lily had protested, though her efforts proved fruitless, as they always were when James and Sirius had concocted some sort of scheme. Then again, it wasn’t as if she was protesting very strongly.

Just then, the door swung open, revealing a very red-faced, very cold James Potter. He was covered head to toe in snow, and his messy black hair was standing on end and covered with frost. He was breathing heavily, and took great gulps of air as he stepped inside and closed the door.

Lily addressed him as if he showed up caked in snow everyday. “Where have you been?”

“Went outside”greenhouses”bloody hell it’s cold.” James’s teeth chattered noisily as he scampered to the hearth. Pulling his cloak off, he knelt before the flames and leaned forward slightly, allowing the heat to penetrate his icicle-like hair.

“And what did you do at the greenhouses?”

“Caught Snape and a bunch of Slytherin gits stealing Mandrake roots from greenhouse three.” James pulled his wand out and dried his clothes and himself off and turned to face Lily, who had a slightly dubious look on her face. “I swear! I took twenty points off Slytherin for it and informed McGonagall.”

Lily stared at him intently. “Why were they stealing Mandrake roots, of all things?”

“They’re for another one of Snape’s potions, probably.” James shrugged nonchalantly and he jumped, perfectly dry, onto the couch beside the chair Lily was sitting in. He pointed to Lily’s hot chocolate. “Where’d you get that?”

“There’s some over there, by the windowsill,” replied Lily, pointing to a huge silver jug beneath the opposite window. Like a dog who found his stick, James hurried towards the jug, hungry for more warmth. While he filled a huge mug with chocolate, Lily pelted him with more questions.

“How’d you know Snape was in the greenhouses?”

“Sirius, Peter, and I were building snowmen in the nearby courtyard.” Upon seeing Lily’s incredulous face, James added, “Hey, we saw that Muggle-born first year, Henry Green, doing it yesterday and we wanted to try it for ourselves. Mine ended up really ace, you should see it.” He lifted the mug to his lips and took a huge swig. “Anyway, we spied Snape and his gang enter through the back entrance, where Sprout usually goes.”

“Hmm . . . .” Lily stared off thoughtfully as her companion resumed his place on the couch. Swinging his legs onto the armrest, James said, “Look, Lily, it’s no big deal. Slytherin lost points and the idiots now have a weeklong detention with Slughorn. Stop fretting.”

“I just want to know what he’s up to.” It wasn’t the first time Snape tried to steal Professor Sprout’s plants for experimental potions purposes, and no matter how many times he got caught, he still pursued it.

James was eyeing her with an amused smile playing on his face. “I didn’t know Snape intrigued you so much, Lily. Breaks my heart to see your eyes on another.”

“Oh, ha ha.” Lily rolled her eyes and stood from her chair. “You are such an arrogant prick, you know that?”

“Yes, darling, you remind me everyday.”

Lily ignored him, something she wouldn’t have done two years ago. After working with James for a few months, she realized that lashing back would only make him more annoying. She had grown accustomed to his habitual flirtations and did not read much further into them to avoid further complexities. The whole school was gob smacked that Lily hadn’t protested against James’s position as Head Boy, moreover fought with him. James might’ve taken this as a positive turn of events, but she didn’t know.

She didn’t want to know.


~*~


The fire crackled merrily in the Gryffindor common room, emanating a soft golden glow on the red-embroidered furniture and the scarlet tapestries hanging on the walls. Sirius Black, handsome and charismatic, was sprawled on the hearth rug, clearly enjoying the comfortable warmth of the flames. Across him sat Peter Pettigrew, small, clumsy, but with quick wit and a sardonic sense of humour. Between them sat a chessboard with only five pieces playing: a white king and a pawn, and a black king, a rook, and a bishop.

Sirius yawned widely, “Get a move on, Wormtail. I’m bored.”

“You aren’t the one in danger here,” snapped Peter as he reached out a hand to trace where his white king could take refuge. Sirius’s pieces were tapping their feet, wearing looks akin to their player’s face.

“C’mon sonny, we don’t have all day!” the rook cried out in a squeaky voice.

Peter’s finger paused on a certain white square, and his king yelled, “Don’t send me there! His Holiness will have my head!”

Surely enough, the black bishop clutched his speared staff and grinned wickedly. Peter growled in frustration. Sirius closed his eyes and shifted to a more comfortable position, more than ready to fall asleep. Finally, Peter said, “King to G-4.”

The king moved one space backwards and rolled its eyes. “You brought me back here five times now. Is there nothing but fluff in that thick skull of yours?”

“You know what? Maybe I should just let you die if you’re being so goddamn snarky,” hissed Peter, and the chess piece stopped talking, but crossed its spindly arms and scowled.

“Bishop to C-7,” said Sirius lazily without even opening his eyes. “If you keep that up, Wormtail, you’re going to turn your whole army against you.” His bishop moved five spaces diagonally to the right and swiped Peter’s remaining pawn. The little pawn’s head flew off the board, and the bishop kicked the wriggling body out of the way and took its place.

Peter raised his hands in exasperation. “All right, I give up. You win.”

Sirius’s pieces looked at each other with identical devious grins, and all at once, they surrounded Peter’s king, who was shouting frantically. “You idiot! You let them take me! Help”help!

“Oh, sod off,” yawned Peter. He pushed the chessboard aside and straightened his podgy legs out before him. “Where did Moony go?”

“Said he wanted to go for a walk,” answered Sirius thickly. He stretched his lean figure across the floor and sat up. Running his fingers through his rather long black hair, he continued, “Do you still have that bottle of firewhiskey in your trunk?”

“Erm . . .” Peter shifted uncomfortably. “I”er””

Sirius narrowed his eyes at him and flung himself back onto the rug in resignation. “Wormtail, what the hell am I to do with you?”

Peter pulled a bulging pouch from his pocket and tipped its contents to the floor. Several brightly-coloured balls, much like Muggle marbles, rolled around on the varnished planks. “You could play Gobstones with me while you’re at it.”

Sirius growled.


~*~



The temperature dropped considerably that evening, and while the snow ceased to fall, the wind speed increased tenfold. Lily left James in the lounge with his long overdue homework and began the lengthy walk up to Gryffindor Tower. Frost clung to the surface of the windows, making them more ominous and chilling. Drawing her homemade shawl tighter around her shoulders, she trudged up the stairs leading from the fourth floor to the fifth, attempting desperately to ignore the wind’s sinister moans.

Try as she might, Lily had never appreciated winter. She hated the way she sank almost knee deep in the snow, and the multiple layers of clothing she had to wear. High winter boots irked her, and the icy cold caused her skin to dry up and crust at times. The idea of sliding down a steep hill on long wooden sticks didn’t appeal to her, especially after a nasty accident in her third year that resulted in a fractured thumb. Her list of why she despised this season could go on for miles, and her friends had heard it so many times that they grew accustomed to seeing the distasteful crease in her forehead whenever the sky expelled the jagged white shapes.

When she reached the fifth floor, she spotted a lone figure strolling down the corridor to the general direction of the library. The torches highlighted his soft, enigmatic features and suddenly, Lily decided to abandon her trip to the common room. Breaking into a jog, she called after the quiet youth, one Remus Lupin, who Lily considered to be her closest friend.

“Wait for me, won’t you?”

Remus Lupin paused and turned around slowly. A smile lit up his exhausted grey eyes and he waited until his redheaded friend caught up with him. “Not trying out for the Quidditch team, are we, Lily? Unless you suddenly went athletic on me and decided that lanky old nerds like me are unworthy of your attention.”

“Don’t be stupid, Remus.” Lily swatted his arm playfully, issuing a chuckle from him. “First of all, you aren’t lanky, and even if you were, I’d still find you very attractive in your new specs.” She winked, causing Remus to burst out laughing again, but there was no mistaking the reddish tint in his cheeks.

It was only in seventh year that Remus’s vision faltered slightly, and though he was required to wear his glasses twenty-four-seven, he only put them on during his and Lily’s regular study sessions in the library after school. When Lily initially questioned him about this, his only witty reply was, “Because I live in a dormitory with James and Sirius, who are particularly talented with Transfiguration, and James doesn’t need another clone.”

When they arrived at the library, Remus immediately started for their usual table, a small circular space near the Charms section. While Lily didn’t particularly know why Remus was in the library on a Saturday night, she followed him all the same. Alone time with Remus always meant catching up with each other’s live and long, intellectual discussions”things that Lily really devoted time to.

Remus helped her into her seat, and she smiled gratefully at him. He had always been a gentleman; he never faltered, not even when he was at his boiling point. He was always so polite and reserved that it was unbelievable that he was a member of the infamous Marauders. Only his three friends and Lily knew the delectable mischief that resided behind his passive visage. This, combined with his shrewd mind and courteous ways, was easily his best asset. As Remus settled into his own chair, Lily leaned forwards, propping her chin on her hand, and said, “So, Remus . . . what deliciously intriguing gossip can you share with me tonight?”

“I have no more gossip than real news, I’m afraid,” he smiled. “I spent most of my day reading in the common room, and unless ancient grindylow history interests you, I have nothing to share.”

“You and your creatures,” commented Lily. “Let me know when you’re announcing your engagement; I want to take part in that grand event.”

“Oh, come off it!” laughed Remus. “If there’s anyone talking about engagements, it should be you. James told me last night that you accepted his invitation to Slughorn’s Welcome Back party next week.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “I neither said ‘yes’ nor ‘no’, because I was planning to ask you. Maybe I should apologize for misleading him.”

Remus surveyed her amusedly, but his eyes held a tinge of embarrassment. He twisted a silver stocking ring on his thumb before saying, “There are a lot of guys who’d like to take you, Lily. Compared to them, I’m nothing special.”

“Have you gone bloody batty?” Lily grabbed both his hands firmly and stared at him, her green eyes flashing. “There isn’t a bloke in this school who can even compare to half of you. You’re my best friend, Remus. Don’t you forget that.”

This time, the redness in Remus’s cheeks became more pronounced, and he flushed even more when Lily kissed his hand fondly. “Your self-deprecation is alluring most of the time, but you should know when to do it.” She winked and Remus grinned, though rather nervously.

There was a moment’s silence, and then Lily propped her chin on her hand once more and eyed him amusedly. “I have gossip to share.”

“Oh, you do?” Remus imitated her position and raised an eyebrow. “Do tell.”

Lily leaned forwards slightly, feigning confidentiality. In a low whisper, she said, “Well, Julia Bennett from Ravenclaw broke up with Gideon Prewett over Christmas break”and,” she emphasized the last word to stop Remus from protesting, “I heard that your offer to take her to Hogsmeade again still stands.”

“You know damn well that Gideon won’t let her go,” hissed Remus, although there was no mistaking the little ray of hope that was now present in his eyes. Remus had actually caught the vivacious Ravenclaw’s attention first, but because his lycanthropy fell on the day of their first date, he had to cancel, and Gideon made his move, much to Lily’s fury.

Lily narrowed her eyes. “He will if you go and talk to her before the rest of the student body comes back. Julia is at Hogwarts, remember? She broke it off with Gideon via owl post.”

Remus sighed heavily and leaned back in his seat, his gaze directed at nothing in particular. Lily observed him plaintively. Remus’s lycanthropy had given him the burning desire to be accepted by everyone, even if that meant getting trampled on in the process. Because of his fear of being shunned, he deprived himself of friends and lovers he could otherwise easily get. Lily was adamant. This would not happen, not in their last year of Hogwarts.

“Remus, listen,” she said with her trademark tone that always commanded attentiveness from her audience. “If I go with James to Sluggy’s party, will you take Julia?”

“What?” Remus looked at her incredulously. “Lily, you can’t be serious!”

“Oh, I am,” stated Lily firmly. She paused, just for a moment, to consider what she was getting herself into. She was sacrificing her evening’s enjoyment for Remus’s chance with the girl of his dreams. ‘One night with James won’t hurt,’ she decided finally. “If I agree to go with James, will you promise me you’ll ask Julia to the party?”

Remus stammered, “I”well”yes”but Lily . . .”

“It’s settled then.” Lily folded her arms across her chest and beamed at him. “You won’t be sorry, Remus.”

“I’m not sorry for myself; I’m sorry for you.” Remus straightened up and gave her an oh-so-familiar stare that made her feel that he was looking right through her. “Are you absolutely sure you want to go with James?”

Lily cringed before answering, “Yes.”