Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The End by Anira

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Exam week passed by rather uneventfully… Harry endured Transfiguration on Monday, Defense Against the Dark Arts on Tuesday (which he was sure he’d received full credits in), Charms on Wednesday, and Potions, to his extreme abhorrence, on Friday. He felt that he did well enough to pursue his future goal as an auror on all of his exams. Remembering McGonagal’s vow in his fifth year to help him in any way she could, Harry felt he would be dishonoring her to not do his absolute best, even on Potions. Hermione naturally would receive top marks on all of her exams, and Ron, as usual, would do considerably well and surprise himself.

On Saturday morning the trio sat in the common room chatting about their exams and how unbelievable it was that they would soon be heading down to the Great Hall for the end of year feast, for the last time in their student career. They spent the day walking around the school, roaming its halls and recalling memories of the last seven years at Hogwarts. Each turn Harry made, he realized more and more how much he was going to miss it all.

When 6 o’clock finally came, they dressed in their robes and set off to the Great Hall. They took their seats at the head of the Gryffindor house table, and to their tremendous astonishment, found themselves staring up at Dumbledore, situated at center stage, ready to give his speech. Gasps could be heard throughout the Great Hall. It was evident that although the students had faith in his return, they were still amazed by their Headmaster’s speedy recovery.

“It is the end,” he began, “of another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This year, more so than the others, I am happy to be able to give this speech in health and wellbeing. Before I really begin, I would like to acknowledge the death of an excellent teacher who has been apart of the Hogwarts staff teaching Potions for 13 years, Professor Severus Snape. I would like you all to please join me in a moment of silence to remember Professor Snape, and all he did for this school.”

The Great Hall went silent; every person, student and staff alike, seemed to have closed their eyes, forgetting Snape’s strict and often unkind ways, in order to pay respect to his death and what he gave his life for.

After a minute or so, Dumbledore continued, “Professor Snape will unquestionably be remembered as one of Hogwart’s greatest and most courageous teachers to ever step through the doors of this school. A trusted friend and colleague, it was because of Professor Snape that we knew of Lord Voldemort’s imminent plans. It was because of him that we even had a fighting chance in this war against evil. I would also like to remember all of those who risked their lives, and in some cases lost their lives, in quest to make our world a secure place. Voldemort is gone, yes, however we would be deluding ourselves to believe that all evil and malevolence has vanished. He has been defeated, yet we will not live lives of pure happiness from this point on. Because of this, we must not let our bonds of fellowship and friendship break, we must remain unified if we wish to extend this period of harmony in the wizarding community. For this reason, there will be no House Cup this year…”

He paused to let the confusion, and in some cases, outrage, wither away. Raising his hand slowly into the air to silence the protests, he continued, “It was the bravery and courage of all four houses united that has brought about one of the most tremendous accomplishments of our time. As I said to some of you once before, three years ago at this time, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. We will only be able to overcome the hardships that may arise in the future if we maintain, and hopefully strengthen, these bonds of alliance and trust.”