Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry, Come Back by inhphtml

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry and Hermione have a fight...a fight to possibly end his life.

Harry had arrived at the Burrow just after his birthday, although in his heart he knew that he truly wanted to leave much sooner. The Dursleys' had been unusually kind to Harry. He was convinced that they were entirely happy that he was going to be leaving, but he had no idea that they felt fear every single time that they saw him.


His two best friends were happy to see him, but they were positive that his unpleasant mood swings were a total downside. He was negative about the slightest thing, and his friends were sure that they knew why. The day he was attacked was the worst. He seemed to be channeling Hermione’s old know-it-all spirit that Harry and Ron couldn’t stand in their first year.


"Hermione, I won’t listen to another word, since I’m right about it!” Harry said rudely.


“Harry, I don't know if anyone has informed you, but it doesn't exactly matter," Ron said to Harry darkly.


"I was talking to Hermione, not you, Ronnie," Harry said bitterly.


"But I can't help but interrupt when you are being a total git," Ron groaned.


"I am not!" Harry groaned. He started stomping on a mouse. Hermione and Ron exchanged worried glances.


"Harry, the mouse is not a Horcrux!” Hermione said hopelessly.


"It could be an Animagus Death Eater!” Harry said. He continued to stomp on it. Hermione stepped forward.


"Harry, stop. This behavior has got to end some time, and that time is now. You are acting as paranoid as Moody used to be,” Hermione said sternly.


"He’s still paranoid, Hermione! And no, I am not paranoid at all!” Harry said, stepping into the Burrow.


"Harry, mate, just take a break. You need to loosen up a bit,” Ron said to his friend.


“I can’t!”


As Harry walked out, Hermione and Ron exchanged worried glances again.


---


Finally, the next evening as Harry was in the kitchen reading a book on Horcruxes, which he had finally found
after weeks of searching. Hermione walked into the room. Harry looked up.


"Hello Hermione," he said bitterly.


"Hi Harry. How are you feeling?"


"I’ve felt fine the whole time I’ve been here."


“No you haven’t, you aren’t the same person you were a month ago. What happened?”


“What happened? WHAT HAPPENED? The one person that could lead me one step closer to destroying Voldemort was murdered. That’s what happened!”


"Harry, I know this has been hard on you, but why are you taking it out on your two best friends? This isn’t going to be easy in any way, but we’re here for you.”


”I know, but I feel like this time, nobody can help me. I don’t need space, but I don’t need help right now. I just need time to figure things out.”


"You can't yet. You heard Lupin. Things aren’t getting any better. You need to wait a bit longer. You are going back to Hogwarts, right? You didn’t answer me yesterday when I asked you."


"Actually, I am not even sure if I want to go back," Harry confessed, slamming his book shut.


"You don't want to go back to school? You really need to! Dumbledore would want you to."


"Hermione, it isn't that easy. What if it isn't the right thing to do?"


“Harry, you need to go back to Hogwarts! That is definitely the right thing to do. Another year could save you, and that is really important! I know that this is important to you, but I am sure that Dumbledore would be happy to see you go back.”


“What if another year does nothing? What if because I didn't try to stop Voldemort soon enough the whole wizarding world was gone? Another year could destroy everything I have worked against! Think about it, Hermione.”


Ginny began to come into the kitchen, but heard them talking and decided not to barge in. She had the feeling that Harry was going to be going off at Hermione again.


“Hermione! Stop trying to control every move I make! You know that I am going to have to do this now, or it will never be done!”


Ginny sighed. She knew that Harry was right, but she dreaded seeing the day that he left. When she was with him, she was breathless. When she was not, she ached for him.


“Harry, I was trying to be sensitive. I was trying to help you,” Hermione said.


"Well, I need space," Harry said through clenched teeth.


“That’s not true! I remember how you were when Cedric died, you were always yelling, but you weren’t this bad!”


“Really? I haven’t been bad!”


“All I have been trying to get through to you was that you shouldn’t be going alone. I can’t go with you, and I thought that your friends were going to go with you, after all, that’s what you said at Dumbledore’s funeral.”


“Don’t mention it, Hermione! If you say one more word about what’s happened, I’m leaving.”


“Harry, don’t go. Dumbledore wouldn't want this,” Hermione whispered.


"ACCIO TRUNK!" Harry suddenly yelled after a long, painful silence.


"Harry!"


“If you ever see me again, don’t talk to me,” Harry said, glaring at Hermione. He slammed the door shut behind him.


Ginny sighed and walked over to Hermione.


"How much did you hear?" Hermione asked.


"All of it," Ginny confessed.


"I am sorry you had to hear it," Hermione said.


"It's okay. Do you want me to get him?"


“I don’t know, maybe it would be better if I went ahead and got him.”


"To be entirely honest, it might be better if I did. You know, he hasn't really yelled at me this summer. I have just been the witness to the fights. I'm not trying to be offensive, but maybe he'll listen to me."


"Go on ahead, Ginny. But try to convince him soon, since it is really getting dark outside."


"The whole world is dark outside," Ginny said, thinking of Voldemort and his Death Eaters.


"Hurry!"


Ginny nodded and went outside. She broke out into a run when she saw Harry.


“Harry, come back! You can’t possibly think it is safe out here!”


Harry turned around. "Ginny, you know I can't go back."


"Why not?" she asked.


"Hermione is trying to direct my life, and it isn't right."


"You know she isn't trying to direct your life. She really cares about you. I really care about you. Why do you want to leave behind a place where people care about you?"


"It just isn't enough anymore," Harry said.


"Harry, behind you!" Ginny squealed. She pulled out her wand. Before she could say anything, Harry was twitching on the ground.


"Bellatrix Lestrange! I don't think we've properly met," Bellatrix said.


"STOP HURTING HARRY!" Ginny yelled.


"I don't see any reason to any longer," Bellatrix sighed evilly.


"What?" Ginny shrieked.


"CRUCIO!" Bellatrix yelled. She yelled it several more times, pointing to Harry and Ginny.


---


Some time later, Ginny sat upright. She realized that she had been unconscious. Trying to remember what had just happened, she looked to her left and noticed that Harry was lying on the ground and breathing heavily.


"Ginny," Harry sighed.


“Harry? Oh no! Are you okay?”


“Tell Hermione I’m sorry. I was being stupid.”


“I won’t need to. You are okay; I am okay. Everything will be fine. We should go back to the Burrow.”


“No, I am so tired. I love you. I've been so stupid this summer. I know I am dying. Just promise me you will tell Hermione that I said I was sorry,” he closed his eyes.


“No! Harry, no! I’m not losing you!” Ginny felt Harry's wrist for a pulse, and found it. She picked him up and did her best to take him back to the Burrow without dropping his limp body. She burst through the door with a struggle.


“Ginny, what happened?” Hermione shrieked, tears beginning to flow from her eyes.


“I-I don’t know,” Ginny said, trying to remember. She was shaking and very pale.


“We need to get him to your mum; she’ll know exactly what to do!”


"I'll get her," Ginny volunteered. Minutes later, Mrs. Weasley was rushing into the kitchen.


"Oh dear. Harry!" Mrs. Weasley said, trying to wake Harry up.


"Is he going to be okay?" Hermione asked.


"I have no idea. What happened, by the way?"


"I have no idea," Ginny replied to her mother, still thinking about what could have possibly happened. She remembered waking up and seeing Harry.


"He'll have to go to St. Mungo's," Mrs. Weasley concluded.


Ginny and Hermione exchanged worried glances. They knew that everything was going to change.


---


Later that night, Ginny sat upright in her bed. She had just realized what had happened to her and Harry. She began to cry and decided that it was too late to tell anybody what had happened.