Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

When Is Too Late? by Oppungo

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Many thanks to my lovely beta, songbook99!




This church really is the most beautiful one I have ever seen, Hermione contemplated. For once, she had nothing to do as she was all ready, unlike Ginny and Luna who had only just seemed to remember the finishing touches that they just had to add. She couldn’t blame them, though, weddings were special.

“Isn’t it beautiful?” she asked, voicing her thoughts out loud as she peeked round the side of the curtain from which she was to appear in a minute. She looked around at the white hall which was filled with white roses and lilies. The guests were all sitting down and conversing quietly with each other, waiting for the bride to appear. The priest was up at the altar, turning the pages to find the right one. The church was filled with excited whispers, all impatient for the ceremony to start. Hermione saw her old teachers, Professor McGonagall and Hagrid. She saw some of her old classmates, Parvati and Padma Patil, Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan.

“Not as beautiful as you,” came a voice from behind her. Hermione whipped around and smiled at who she saw. “OK, well, maybe a bit more beautiful than you - ouch! I think that’s your cue,” he observed, rubbing his arm where Hermione had hit him as the organ started to play. “Shall we?” he asked, offering his arm to her, which she accepted with a smile.

“Can you believe we’re doing this?” she whispered as they began to walk down the aisle.

“Nope!” he replied cheerfully, before seeing Hermione give him a look. “Er, I mean, it seems like only yesterday we were at school, arguing about what was better, Chocolate Frogs or Pumpkin Pasties! Which, by the way, is obviously Chocolate Frogs.”

“It is not! But I still can’t believe this is happening,” she retorted excitedly. A look to her side showed that if the beam on his face was anything to go by, the redhead next to her was equally as happy.

“Yeah, I know. We only left school two years ago, who’d have thought then it would come to this!” That remark resulted in him gaining another look from Hermione. “Is it me, or is it taking us forever to walk down this aisle?”

“It’s because the music’s slow, so everyone can look at the bride and the bridesmaids, the groom and the groomsmen,” Hermione explained with a sigh, though somehow managing to keep her smile in place.

“I know! I was just making an observation!” he protested. “Hey, check out that flower arrangement thingy!”

“Honestly, Ron, did you not take part in the wedding arrangements at all?” Hermione asked him in despair.

“Well, I looked at some of the stuff…” Ron trailed off sheepishly as he concentrated on smiling at the guests instead of Hermione.

“Like what? No, wait, one guess: the buffet?” Ron didn’t answer her. “Ron! Is food all you care about?” she asked him indignantly. Ron wasn’t quite sure how she managed to sound annoyed and yet smile so happily.

“No! I mean, I wouldn’t be here now if I didn’t, would I?” Ron smiled victoriously as this time Hermione didn’t reply. The altar was now approaching fast. They unlinked arms as each glided over to their side of the priest. Luna and Neville came up behind them and took their places, leaving only Harry and Ginny to finish their walk up the aisle before the actual ceremony would start.

When Harry reached Ron, the two exchanged nervous smiles, in comparison to the girls, who looked perfectly composed. The priest looked around to check that everyone was ready before beginning.

Hermione couldn’t help but take in her surroundings again as her mind drifted off from what was being said. She thought of the hardships they had all had to endure, what with Voldemort’s return and the battles they had all had to participate in, physical and psychological. She thought of how the final battle had turned out to be nothing but another hoax, how all that bloodshed had seemingly been for nothing, that Voldemort wasn’t gone, not forever at least. How she wished he was though. She didn’t know if she’d prefer to know he was still at large or not. If he was, though, she thought, I suppose we wouldn’t be standing here today. She knew that if there was even the prospect of finding him, Harry, at least, wouldn’t rest until he had. There wasn’t though. Not for the time being at any rate.

“If anyone has any objections to this couple being joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

Hermione waited with bated breath, along with everyone else, for a minute that seemed to drag out forever, to see if any objections were made. The priest smiled as the silence prevailed.

“Then let me continue with the vows. Do you, Harry James Potter, take this woman, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, to promise to be faithful to, forsaking all others, until death do you part?” The entire church smiled as Harry replied,

“I do.”

Hermione looked at Ginny, who was standing calmly next to her, before returning her glance to the priest, who turned to their side of him.

“And do you, Ginevra Molly Weasely, take this man, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, to promise to be faithful to, forsaking all others, until death do you part?” Once more, the whole church smiled as Ginny answered,

“I do.”

“Then, I now pronounce you, man and wife! You may kiss the bride.” The vows gave way to loud claps and cheers from the guests, who all rose to their feet as the new bride and groom made their walk back down the aisle and outside to go to the reception. Ron and Hermione stayed behind as the guests began to file out.

“Well, they’ve done it. My best friend married my little sister…” Ron broke off to give a customary glare. “But I swear, if he ever does anything to hurt her, or upset her, or - “

“Yes, Ron, we know,” Hermione grinned. “You’ll give him to Colin Creevey or the Giant Squid. Now come on, or we’ll miss the food!”

What? Quick! Hurry up! What if it’s all gone? Let’s go!” Ron yelped as he positively fled out of the church, knocking over several unsuspecting guests in the process.

“Wishing it was you?” asked a faraway voice from behind her, making Hermione jump violently.

“Oh, Luna! You made me jump!” Hermione replied, though avoiding the question.

“Don’t worry, maybe you’ll catch the bouquet.” Luna patted her arm reassuringly before she too walked down the aisle with a small smile. Hermione shook her head in disbelief as she followed her, too caught up in her thoughts to notice the hem of Luna’s dress trailing along the floor behind her…