Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

This Is How the Story Ends by venusgreenight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Since the last few chapters I have been persistent in thanking my reviewers, I've decided to try something a little less redundant. So, to all the people who haven't reviewed, THANKS FOR NOTHING! *cough* well I'm glad that's been settled.
:-)



THE DEAD MAN BEHIND THE VEIL

“I would have told you earlier, but you weren’t home. Ron said that Hermione’s going to have a baby!”

Luna clasped her hands in front of her in delight. “Oh, Harry! That’s wonderful!” Harry smiled down at her before finishing the rest of his coffee.

“I want to get to work early today so I can talk to Sirius. Tonks and I were exploring Fudge’s house last night, trying to look for clues.”

“Did you find any?” Luna asked, a concerned look on her face. Harry sighed.

“Nothing really. Tonks is guessing that the murder is because of all the people Fudge put in jail, but I’m not absolutely sure.”

“That seems like a strange reason to just flat out kill someone,” Luna said softly, gazing off into space.

“Yeah, tell me about it. Well, I’ve got to run, honey. Love you.” And with that he kissed he goodbye and apparated just outside of the Ministry of Magic.

Harry strode into the building and headed straight to the Department of Mysteries. He walked down the dark familiar hallway that led to the Department, and then knocked three times on the door that ended the corridor. It opened with a slight creak. A red haired freckled face peered out at him.

“Harry! Here to talk to Sirius?”

“Yeah, if its okay with you, Ron.”

“No problem. Monty and I were just trying to crack this spell and…oh, never mind. Come on in. You know the way.”

“Thanks mate.”

Harry softly entered the department and the large circular room it contained. The multiple doors surrounded him were a looming and forbidding presence. He walked through the one directly in front of him and into the stone amphitheatre. On the bottom of the many tiers of the room stood a stone archway raised on a dais. It’s black curtain fluttered in an invisible wind.

Harry descended down the tiers and walked calmly over to the archway. Abruptly he kneeled on the ground at the base of the dais. Placing both hands flat on the stone surface, he clearly said “Sirius Black” in a loud enunciated voice.

The curtains began to flutter even more as if the wind was picking up. They blew faster and faster until it seemed they would be ripped right out of the archway. Then they stopped. They didn’t move at all.

“Yes?” said a familiar voice. At that word, the curtains fluttered ever so slightly.

“How’s it in the land of the dead?” Harry asked.

The curtains twitched as the voice chuckled.

“As dead as usual, Harry.”

“Look, Godfather, I came because I need some help.”

“That’s the only reason you come these days,” Sirius’s voice said playfully. Harry smiled slightly. “What do you need to know?”

“Well, I need you to duck down really quick and ask old Cornelius Fudge who killed him.”

“Fudge is dead?”

“Didn’t you know that?”

“Well, I’m not up to date with all of the new arrivals. There’re people dying every day, Harry. Every minute. I can’t possible keep track. But sure, I’ll talk to Fudge. Be back in a second.”

And precisely a second later, Sirius’s voice returned.

“He doesn’t know. It was someone dressed in black. That’s all he can remember.”

Harry sighed. “That’s what I thought.”

“Is that all you needed?”

“Yes. I guess I shouldn’t be discouraged. It isn’t the first time a victim hasn’t seen their murderer.”

“Good luck on finding Fudge’s killer. Do you have any suspicions as to who it is?”

“Yeah, kind of,” Harry said. “Wormtail. He’s the one that’s been stirring up the trouble. He’s trying to get all the remaining Death Eaters back together, you know.”

“Huh. That’s not good. Do you have any idea why he would have reason to kill Fudge?”

“No...I don’t. But Tonks does.” Harry filled Sirius in on Tonks’ suspicions.

“She could be right,” Sirius replied. They were silent for a while, both thinking. Then Sirius chuckled. “Now that I know Fudge is down here, I’m a little uncomfortable. All those years he thought I was a murderer myself, you know. Serves him right.”

Harry smiled and stood up.

“‘Bye Sirius. We’ll talk later.”

“Be safe, Harry.”

“Well…think about it. If I died…you’d be able to see me again.”

“Don’t think like that,” Sirius scolded. “You still have a loving family to care for. I’d kill you if you ever died.”

“I know you would, Sirius. I know you would.”

Harry headed back to the entrance of the department, but was mildly surprised to see Ron standing by the door, a copy of the Daily Prophet in his hands.

“Harry, did you see this morning’s paper?” he asked.

“No, I was too busy. Why?”

“There’s been another murder with the Dark Mark.”

“No way!” Harry snatched the paper from Ron, looking down at the front page. DARK MARK STIKES AGAIN, ANOTHER DEATH. Harry read down a bit and found that it was a Dorcus Methuselah that had been killed. The name sounded oddly familiar. Looking back up at Ron, Harry asked, “Can I keep this?”

“Sure,” Ron shrugged.

“Thanks a bunch! See you later.”

Harry exited the department and walked slowly down the halls, reading the paper.

“Methuselah, whose house is located in Ottery St. Catchpole…” Harry read quietly aloud. “Ottery St. Catchpole? That’s were Ron and Hermione live!”

Harry turned on his heel and raced back to the Department of Mysteries. He knocked loudly on the door. It opened almost immediately.

“Back so soon?” Ron said.

“Yeah. I was just wondering if you know anything else about the murder, since you live right by it.” Harry replied.

Ron shrugged, looking down at the floor.

“Yeah, I know a little bit about it,” he said softly. “I…uh…was walking by when it happened.”

“What?”

“It was right down the street. I was walking by it to go pick up a couple of things from Elmira Doog, who lives a couple of blocks away. And, well, I just happened to walk by the house when I saw a big flash of green light. No one had to tell me twice to call up Dad. He’s got Kingsley on the job, I think.”

“Did you see the murderer?”

“Yes. Well, no. Kind of. I’m not sure that it is who I think it is…”

“Who was it?”

“I-I don’t want to point fingers. I’m not absolutely sure.” Ron was staring intently down at the ground, his ears turning a bright shade of scarlet.

“Come on, Ron.”

“No, I’m not sure. Okay?” And with that, Ron shut the Department of Mysteries’ door in Harry’s face.

“And its been bugging me all day,” Harry said pulling back the sheets and climbing under. Luna set her book down on the nightstand and gave her husband an understanding look. “Who was it that Ron saw? Why won’t he tell me that he was Wormtail? Is he covering for him?”

“You’ve had a hard day,” Luna said soothingly.

“Hard day? Tell me about it. Tonks and I haven’t found any more clues, I’ve got another murder to deal with, Ron’s being all secretive”“

“Baby,” Luna said quietly, putting her arm through the crook of his elbow. “Everything will turn out fine, you’ll see. You’re the best Auror I’ve ever known. I bet Wormtail is shaking in his boots knowing that you’re on his trail.”

Harry smiled. Luna rested her head on his shoulder. “I love you,” she whispered. Harry turned his head and planted a kiss in her hair.

“I know.”



Reviewism of the day:
Harry Potter: "But why's she got to go write a REVIEW?"
Ron Weasley: "Because that's what Hermione does. When in doubt, write a REVIEW."