Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lupine by sugarquillgirl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: James and Remus enter Hogwarts and a certain handsome, concieted Black is sorted into a house he insists he does not belong in along with a rat-like boy named Peter Pettigrew.




.::A Place to Belong::.



The trip to Hogwarts had been one of the most exciting journeys Remus ever remembered taking. There had been a few close calls, such as when the boat almost capsized because James was laughing so hard at the sight of the furious boy and girl who had been locked in a compartment being helped into a boat. Their hair was in disarray, and they kept shooting dangerous glances at the boys. This had only made James laugh even harder, and even Remus started chuckling when James elbowed him.

“Come on, Remus!” he exclaimed, clutching at his sides. “Laugh a little, mate! Look at those prats!” Soon Remus had started laughing as hard as his friend. The two were unaware that the boat was rocking dangerously and hitting the boat behind them because of their rolling around with laughter until a student from the boat behind them shouted, “Stop laughing, you idiots! Our boat’s about to turn over!” The boys had glanced back to find more than half the students with white-faces, some clutching their stomachs, and some of the girls holding their hands over their mouths. A few boys were even whimpering and gripping the side of the boat with white knuckles.

James had quieted himself somewhat, but Remus had turned red and apologized in a low voice. “Oh, sorry,” he said. A few people grinned feebly, but some of the first-years scowled. Remus gave a hesitant smile at his friend, and James snickered. Sirius, who had boarded the same boat as James and Remus and was sitting in the back, looked extremely amused, but still did not say anything to the two other boys.

Soon, they arrived at Hogwarts. It was a massive, lofty castle that seemed to sparkle with its many shining lights streaming from the glass windows. It was one of the most breath-taking sights Remus had ever seen. Even James and Sirius became silent for a little as they looked at the castle. Everything after that seemed to happen so fast. As they entered Hogwarts, a stern-looking woman named Professor McGonagall explained to them about the sorting hat, a magical devise that would place them in their proper house. There were four, she explained; Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Gryffindor.

“I want to go to Gryffindor,” James whispered to Remus. “I mean, where else would I go? Hufflepuff is for prats, Ravenclaw is for know-it-alls, and Slytherin -- well, nobody wants to go there.”

“My mum wants me to,” proclaimed Sirius. Remus turned and looked at him. “There hasn’t been a Black that hasn’t been sorted into Slytherin for a century. Of course, then I’d have to be stuck with my cousins, but at least I’d be around my own kind.”

James turned and stared at Sirius, annoyed with his arrogance. “Your own kind?” he asked, glancing at Remus.

Purebloods,” Sirius explained. “Aren’t you one?”

Sirius had been speaking loudly enough that several heads were turned in his direction. He obviously thought what he said was important enough for the whole school to hear. The rest of his group of friends who were standing behind him looked at him haughtily, some shaking their heads in agreement at his words.

“Yes,” said James simply. “But why does it matter?”

Sirius’ mouth dropped open and he surveyed James unbelievingly.

“How does it matter?” he said, aghast. Many of his friends also looked disgusted or shocked, except a fifteen-year-old girl who looked strikingly like the older girl who had stepped on Stella’s tail earlier that day. Remus wondered if she was Bellatrix’s sister. She certainly was not acting like it. She sighed at Sirius’ words and the corners of her mouth were turned down in a frown.

Sirius’ look of shock disappeared after a few seconds, and he shrugged in a manner of nonchalance. “I suppose it doesn’t matter if you don’t come from a wizarding family like the Black family.”

“Well, I’m sorry if I’m not bowing before your feet,” said James in disgust, turning his back to Sirius. Remus watched as Sirius’ face flushed red in indignation, but it soon wore off and he walked over to a blonde-haired boy with a pale, pinched face and began to talk haughtily.

Remus turned back to James.“What house do you think we’ll be sorted into?” he queried anxiously, hoping desperately that he wouldn’t be sorted into the same house Sirius Black, along with the rest of the students who would most likely find him inferior because of his half-blood status.

“Well,” said James, “I guess we are about to find out.”

Remus looked up and saw McGonagall reaching for the tall doors leading to the Great Hall. Remus watched at the great doors slowly slid open with a long, low creak, and for a moment, he lost his breath.

The Great Hall did not seem to even be the right name for that beautiful room, thought Remus. It should be named something like the Majestic Hall, or the Splendid Hall. Everything about it was almost like from a dream- the ceiling that looking exactly like the night sky outside, glittering with its many stars. The hall was lit with the light of hundreds of candles, their light dazzling Remus’ eyes as he walked by. There were four very long tables in the room as well, packed with students looking at them as they walked by. Remus guessed these students must have come a different way beside the boats, as it had only been first years with them on their trip there.

He looked directly in front of him and saw the places where the teachers sat. At the center was a tall man with a long white beard. He had a solemn look on his face, but his eyes were smiling- Remus could tell by the way they sparkled. Remus recognized this man as Albus Dumbledore, the man Remus recognized as they white-bearded visitor who had delivered Remus’ letter of acceptance. Normally, a werewolf wouldn't have been allowed to attend the school, but Dumbledore had made a special exception in this case. Remus felt very grateful to him, and seeing Dumbledore made him even happier that he was at Hogwarts at last.

There were a few other teachers, like a short, rather scarred teacher and a very fat, beaming teacher. Some of them seemed nice, but another teacher, with a short gray beard and very dark eyes, looked rather strict. Remus wondered how they would be once he started classes.

Then, right in front in the room, in the center, Remus saw the sorting hat. It was a very ragged thing, and Remus was afraid that it might fall apart the moment anyone touched it. But suddenly it sat up and began to sing a song about the different houses and their qualities. Now, even more than ever, Remus desperately wanted to go to Gryffindor. One by one, students were called up for sorting. The dark-haired girl, Bellatrix, was sorted almost instantly into Slytherin. One of the next students was Sirius Black.

“BLACK, SIRIUS,” Professor McGonagall called out. Sirius walked up to the sorting hat and sat down on the stool, shaking his dark hair from his eyes and placing the hat on his head. He had a look of expectation on his face, obviously expecting the hat to bellow out “Slytherin!” at any moment. At once, his expression changed, and he shook his head vigorously, his eyes wide, as if engaging in a mental argument with the hat.

“GRYFFINDOR!” the sorting hat exclaimed firmly.

The hall was silent for a moment. It seemed that many people knew the name of Black and had obviously expected Sirius to be sorted into Slytherin. Remus looked behind him and noticed that Bellatrix, along with several other people at the Slytherin table, were glaring at Sirius disgustedly. Only the dark-haired girl was smiling. Then Bellatrix let out a shout, leaping up from the table, her eyes gleaming with anger.

“YOU DISGUSTING, FILTHY, BLOOD-TRAITOR! YOU SCUM! YOU DISGRACE THE NAME BLACK! WAIT UNTIL YOUR MOTHER HEARS ABOUT THIS! SHE WILL NEVER, EVER LET YOU FORGET IT!”

“Now, now, Miss Black!” shouted McGonagall over Bellatrix’s shrieks. “Ten points from Slytherin. Quiet yourself! I won’t have this going on in the Great Hall. Students still need to be sorted.” Bellatrix glared at her, but sat down, still staring at Sirius.

Sirius had stayed quiet the entire time, but was now placing the hat down on the stool with a look of shock on his face. He walked over, dazed, to the Gryffindor table, who made a wide berth for him to pass, obviously afraid of him because of he was a Black. He didn’t notice as he sat down, staring straight ahead blankly.

”BLAND, CATHERINE!” shouted McGonagall. A short, tan girl with long brunette hair and round cheeks skipped up the sorting hat, laughing nervously as it fell over her eyes. She had barely sat down when the hat let out a cry of “HUFFLEPUFF!” She yanked the hat off and ran off toward a cheering table of Hufflepuffs.

Several other students were sorted, many to Ravenclaw, and another to Hufflepuff. Then came: “EVANS, LILY!”

Lily ran up, brushing her short red hair out of her face. She placed the hat on her head, looking up at it. It didn’t take long before it shouted out “GRYFFINDOR!” She smiled and jogged over to the Gryffindor table as many people let out loud cheers. Remus waited for what seemed forever until he heard his name being called out.

“LUPIN, REMUS!” He walked up to the sorting hat nervously, lifting it carefully and placing it on his head. He hoped it wouldn’t hurt. Suddenly, voice, almost seeming to come from inside his head, spoke to him.

“Ah, yes. I think I already know where you will go,” said the voice. “You are very brave -- yes, of course, and loyal. You want to be liked, I can tell. Intelligent, too, but I won’t put you in Ravenclaw -- no, I don’t think I will. Let’s make it…GRYFFINDOR!” It exclaimed, and Remus leapt up, relived. At least he would be with Lily, and he doubted that James would go anywhere except for Gryffindor. As the table cheered, Remus sat down next to a silent Sirius and waited for James to join them.

Right before James was about to go up to be sorted, a small, plump boy scurried up as his name was called out -- Peter Pettigrew. He was biting his nails, and didn’t stop until he had to pick up the hat and plop it on his head. The hat took a while, but finally let out a shout, “GRYFFINDOR!”

James looked back and glanced at Remus. They both were surprised that this boy had made it to Gryffindor- they were both expecting him to be placed in Hufflepuff. Maybe he was smarter than he looked, but Remus changed his mind as Peter tripped over his own feet in his haste to get the Gryffindor table.

Then James’ name was called. He ran up to the stool and sat down, placing the hat on his head. He beamed as he listened to the hat speaking to him, and then took it off almost before it could shout, “GRYFFINDOR!” The Gryffindors, seeming to like this boy instantly, let out a deafening shout. Remus cheered along with them as James sat down next to him. Lily looked annoyed that he had made it to Gryffindor, but clapped as well. Then, the tall man with the long beard stood up and began to make a speech. It was rather boring, thought Remus, but he learned a lot about Hogwarts and also that the man’s name was Dumbledore.

James elbowed Remus, grinning. “Looks like we’re in the same house, mate!” he said excitedly. Remus felt a thrill race through his heart. James was actually happy to have Remus in the same house with him, referring to him as his friend. Remus looked over to his right at Sirius, who had his head down on the table.

Suddenly plates and plates of food appeared on the table. Remus’ eyes grew wide as he eyed the different dishes. His family had not had this much food to eat in a long time. There was chicken and warm, smoky ham. There was fresh, colorful fruits piled high, and steamy vegetables in bowls, and several dozen different types of pudding. He piled his plate full and felt guilty for being so greedy until he noticed the boy across from him: Peter. He had mounded his plate so high that the food was spilling off the sides.

“Might want to get smaller helpings next time,” James remarked, laughing across the table at the boy. Peter glanced up, turning a shade of light pink, but then busied himself once again in adding another helping of turkey to his plate.

It was almost impossible to hear his friends talk with the loud chatter and laughing from other students ringing across the Great Hall. Remus soon gave up listening to James tell the entire table about the time he had used his wand to squirt water at his Aunt Myrtle’s pet cat. He stared sleepily up at the shooting stars that danced across the ceiling until it was time for desert, which Remus eagerly piled onto his plate.

Soon, the tables were cleared, and with a parting speech from Dumbledore, the students left the Great Hall, chattering and laughing amongst themselves. Remus glanced back over his shoulder to find Sirius walking by himself miserably.

Remus and James found their way along with the other students to the Gryffindor common room. A painting of a sleeping fat lady stood in front of the entrance, and James confidently walked up and attempted to yank it open. It didn’t budge, and the lady’s eyes flew open. Several students let out a gasp. The lady laughed pleasantly.

“You can’t get in here that way,” she chided James. “You must use the password.” James frowned. A tall prefect with large golden glasses made her way from the back of the line, pushing James out of the way.

“Prat,” he muttered. The prefect cleared her throat.

“First years, listen carefully. You must make sure to ask me or another prefect what the Gryffindor common room password is every time you want to come in. It’s very simple to get in once you know it. Watch.” The walked up to the Fat Lady and smiled.

“Toad’s wart.”

The frame swung open, revealing a warm, cozy room with several sofas, desks, and a roaring fireplace in the very center. The students chattered excitedly and steamed into the room, their eyes glowing excitedly. James made a bee-line to the window overlooking the Quidditch pitch.

Remus headed up to the common rooms. He was feeling extremely tired now that the excitement of the day was over. James noticed and followed him up the stairs. They pushed the door open to find three other boys picking their beds and unpacking. James glared at one red-haired boy who was throwing his clothes onto a bed next to the window overlooking the Quidditch pitch. Remus could tell he had wanted that bed the most. There were four empty beds in the corner of the room. James fell backwards onto one of them.

“Feels good to me,” he said approvingly, swinging his feet onto the bed. Remus dragged his trunk from the middle of the room where they had been left and next to the bed across from James’. He sat down gingerly, admiring the large bed. It was extremely comfortable, and there were even curtains he could draw around the bed at night. It was much nicer than the one he slept on at home.

There was a screeching noise at Sirius entered, pushing his trunk to the bed next to James’. He still looked very sullen. He looked at his bed and a look of slight surprise crossed his face. There was a large, slimy toad in the center of his bed, blinking up at him. The red-haired boy who had taken James’ bed looked over and grinned sheepishly.

“Sorry ‘bout that,” he said, scooping up the toad into the palm of his hands. “I guess Sam liked your bed.” Sirius didn’t smile, but James smirked at green, slimly toad. The boy extended a hand to James.

“I’m Zack, by the way. Zack Rogers.” James shook his hand.

“James Potter.” Another light-haired boy walked over.

“I’m Nathan Wood,” he said. “So, are you going to play Quidditch sometime?” he asked James. James grinned.

“Definitely. You?”

The two boys launched into an animated discussion of Quidditch as Remus unpacked. Peter, finally able to drag his massive trunk across the room, selected a bed across from Sirius’. Remus quickly selected tattered bedclothes, embarrassed to be wearing them in front of James and Sirius. He felt slightly better when he watched Peter pull out wool pajamas with pink pigs, but not much. Sirius still sat on his bed gloomily, staring at the wall until the prefects came and ordered all the boys to get into bed.

Sirius was still looking dejected as they crawled into bed along with the other boys. Remus closed his eyes, but did not fall asleep instantly, watching James, who kept sneaking out of the bed looking out the window, trying to see the Quidditch field. Peter was snoring loudly. Suddenly James hopped back into bed, pulling the sheets around him.

“Remus, mate?” he whispered to the bed beside him.

Remus replied in a quiet voice. “Yeah?”

"Is he asleep?”

Remus assumed he was talking about Sirius, and nodded. Several loud snores came from Sirius’ bed.

James sighed. “Why do you think he was sorted into Gryffindor, the prat? He obviously thinks he’s too good for us.”

No snore this time. Remus winced as he realized that in actuality, Sirius was fully awake and had heard the hurtful words that James had just whispered.

“James…” murmured Remus reproachfully.

A loud snore suddenly filled the air, making Remus jump. Sirius had obviously decided pretend he hadn’t heard. Remus looked at the figure of the boy, wondering if he was really as haughty as he acted, or if it was just the influence of his family.

Another alarming thought crossed his mind. If James had already made up his mind to be enemies with Sirius because of the way he acted, would he even consider being friends with Remus, the werewolf? Remus, the monster? For the second time that day, Remus made up his mind that no one would find out about his secret again. With this resolution planted firmly in his mind, Remus closed his eyes and began to fall asleep.

“Mum, I want to buy the giant piece of cheese,” Peter mumbled in his sleep. James snickered loudly, and Remus smothered his laughter in his pillow, forgetting all his troubles entirely for the first time in his life.