Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
AN: You guys have been so great with your reviews. Keep it up!
These are JKR's characters with the way I want to see them. I own nothing of hers. (More's the pity)




Harry walked the corridors listlessly. Ron was in the hospital wing with his parents, talking to Madame Pomfrey. Ginny hadn't woken up yet and the St. Mungo's Healer had looked worried when she hurried past him in the hall.

He needed to talk to Dumbledore.

Harry stopped beside the gargoyle outside the Headmasters office.

"I need to see Dumbledore please," he said.

"Professor Dumbledore said you'd be coming," it replied smugly. "He also said that I was to let you in. If you please, continue up the stairs to his office." Harry thanked him and entered the door that appeared.

As Harry walked into the headmaster’s office, at first, he saw no one. Looking around, he realized that Dumbledore was bent over something in a small cabinet. The Pensieve.

“I was expecting you, Mr. Potter. How are you holding up?”

“Why Professor? Why does everyone close to me get hurt?”

Dumbledore straightened and smiled. “Your friend has a marvelous gift. I don’t know if she ever told you about it. But surely, you may have noticed it yourself, at times.”

Harry furrowed his brow in thought. As he did so, he saw an image appear in the pensieve. Ginny was on her broom at tryouts and how seamlessly she flew. The image changed to Ginny at the first Quidditch match. She never even saw the Bludger coming towards her. She simply rolled as if she knew, knewthat it was there.

“Why?” Harry said, looking up. “Why couldn’t she do that this time?”

Dumbledore sighed. “Ginny Weasley has the makings of a truly powerful Seer. As young as she is, this is an extreme rarity. Unfortunately, she has had no training. I spoke to Firenze about it and he admits that it is something she desperately needs. Visions may come to her but she lacks the skill to interpret them. Alas, for we have no teacher here at Hogwarts that can instruct her in prophecy. I believe that Ginny knew something bad was going to happen, she just didn't know how or when."

Harry sank down on to a squashy armchair. "How is she?" he asked, stroking Fawkes' head. "Will she be alright?"

Dumbledore smiled somberly. "She will live. That is the important thing."

Harry nodded. "Will she stay here?"

"That will be her parents decision. And hers. Understand though, Ginny will have no wish to be coddled by you. She is extraordinarily independant. Regarding her condition, I would advise you to be honest with her. Don't underestimate her strength."

Harry rose from his chair, ready to leave. "Thank you, Professor," he said.

"You're welcome," Dumbledore smiled, then when Harry reached the door, he added, "She's very special to you Harry, isn't she."

Harry paused before he replied, "More than you know."




Harry cradled his head in his hands. Beside him, Ginny didn't stir, her breathing was slow and shallow. She had fallen from a great height and the Bludger had broken her face in three places. They were tricky bones to heal and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had been told that it could be up to a year before she would look normal again. She had rebroken her ankle and her head was bandaged. Ginny hadn't woken up yet but Harry was determined to be there when she did. Her parents were with Dumbledore now, discussing whether she should stay at the school or go home.

Why? Harry thought. Everyone that I care for eventually gets taken away from me. Well, I'm not gonna lose you Ginny.

"Listen to me, Ginny," he said out loud. "Keep fighting, don't let go! Stay with me and be strong! I never even got to tell you, I-I love you."

He heard her soft voice speak, "Took you long enough."

"You're awake!"

She held up her trembling hand weakly. He grasped it and covered it with kisses.

"Tell me honestly," she said. "How bad is it?"

Harry hedged. "You're alive," he said simply. "Isn't that enough?"

"Is it that bad?" Ginny whispered.

Harry sighed. "Madame Pomfrey said that you've had a fractured skull and concussion. The Bludger shattered your cheek bones and you broke your ankle. Because of the previous break, that will take awhile to heal. Your face will be bruised and swollen for a long time and-" he paused.

"Don't do it, Harry,"Ginny said. "Don't lie to me."

"Ginny, when she fixed your skull, Madame Pomfrey had to-to cut some of your hair. It's a lot shorter than it was."

Ginny was speechless. Her hair had once fallen to her waist, now it was gone.

The door opened and Dumbledore poked his head in. "Harry, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley would like a word with you."

Harry kissed Ginny's palm and whispered, "I'll be back."

"Tell Mum and Dad to come see me when you're through."

Harry walked out of the hallway where the Weasley's stood. Mrs. Weasley gathered Harry in a hug and Mr. Weasley clapped him on the shoulder. When she let go, Harry stood there awkwardly.

"Er-Ginny's awake," he said. "She wants to see you."

"Good," Mrs. Weasley said. "We'll go in just a moment. As you know, we've discussed with Dumbledore about taking Ginny out of school for the remainder of the year and
re-enrolling her next term."

Harry dropped his head. "Yes?" he said quietly.

Mr. Weasley cleared his throat. "Yes well, Dumbledore has assured us that the care here will be sufficient for her. We've decided to leave it up to her. You must understand, though, it will be difficult for her if she stays. She'll have to be in the hospital wing for a while and when she gets out, she'll still be fragile."

"I understand," said Harry. "Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, I want you to know that I care about what happens to Ginny. I wish I could have stopped this. I should have-"

"Oh, no dear," said Mrs. Weasley. "You know as well as we do that no one is at fault. There was nothing that could be done." She smiled. "Go back to Gryffindor Tower and get some sleep, dear. Arthur and I will stay with Ginny tonight." She kissed him on the forehead and pushed him in the direction of the stairs.

"Good night, dear," she said softly before she and Mr. Weasley went into the hospital wing.

Harry headed up the stairs. He loved it when Mrs. Weasley treated him like a son. She was a closest thing to a mother he had ever known. Tears came to his eyes and again, he blinked them away. It had been a long day and he was tired. He trudged up the stairs and eventually ended up in his dormitory. He fell into bed and immediately went to sleep.




AN: Soo, finally you all know the extent of Ginny's injuries. It's bad but not as bad as it could be. Also, since Dumbledore said it, you know what Ginny's secret gift is! Congratulations to those who figured it out! Keep up with the reviews, over 110 now! That totally rocks! Unfortunately, I have to leave you now with my trademark spoiler. Enjoy!

"I'm trying to save her!"

Cho turned and started walking back. "So, you would hurt her, to save her? She doesn't deserve that pain."


Since it's the weekend, next post will be next week. Let's see if I can come back and find 125 reviews! Don't let me down!!!