Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
AN Can't you guys see by now that I don't own the HP world and it makes me sad!!!

Sorry the update took so long to get in. Applying for college is a pain. No wonder so few people go.




Professor McGonagall led Harry, Ron, and Hermione down to Dumbledore's office, late in the evening of the twenty second. They were all silent, no sound except for their footsteps.

"Miss Weasley will be along in a minute," McGonagall said briskly. "Floo Powder is far too treacherous for somebody in her condition. St. Mungos will deliver her to Grimmauld Place in about an hour. Please tell Molly and Arthur that."

She turned to the gargoyle and said, "Blowing Gum." The door rolled to show the staircase.

McGonagall smiled. "I'll see you three tomorrow," and they went up the stairs. Harry gingerly rubbed his jaw. There was a large bruise spreading across his chin, which he'd refused to have seen to by Madame Pomfrey. In all honesty, felt he deserved it and more. He should not have hurt Ginny like that, but there was no other way.

"Welcome!" Dumbledore said. Harry looked up, startled that they were already at the top.

"I expect that they've got a pre-wedding feast prepared so let's not stand upon ceremony. Ladies first!" He presented a crystal jar shaped like a sock to Hermione.

"I thought Grimmauld Place wasn't connected to the Floo," she said. Dumbledore's eyes twinkled and he just laughed. She took a pinch and stepped into the fireplace. Throwing it into the flames, she said, "Grimmauld Place, London!" With a green flash, she was gone.

"You next, Mr. Weasley." Ron took some and did likewise.

When he was gone, Harry reached for the Floo Powder but Dumbledore withheld it.

"Mr. Potter, what am I going to do with you?" he said sadly.

Harry kept his eyes on the floor. "I don't want to talk about it."

"You need to talk about it." Dumbledore's tone was severe.

"I didn't want to hurt Ginny. I wanted to protect her from-"

"Voldemort?" Dumbledore supplied. Harry nodded. "Did it ever occur to you that Ginny might want to choose for herself what's best for her?" He placed his hands on Harry's shoulders.

"Sometimes, Harry, we have to step aside and let those we love make their own choices. When I was young, I was very foolish and I lost someone that I loved very much by trying to protect her." Harry glanced up at last. Dumbledore looked old and his eyes were pained. "Celia was her name. When I was twenty, I wanted to become an Auror. As I pursued my dream, I learned more and more about the dangers of our world. Aurors used to be encouraged not to have families. It stemmed from the idea that our loved ones could be used against us. I pushed Celia away in the interest of her protection. In doing so, I lost the woman that I loved. I never got to tell her that I was sorry. She died sometime after. I never did become an Auror."

Harry was stunned. He'd never have thought of Dumbledore as the tragic hero of a love story. "Professor, what-" He cut Harry off by holding the Floo Powder out. Silently, Harry took a little, threw it into the fire, and was whisked away in a flash of green flame.




Harry climbed out of the fireplace, brushing ash and soot off of his robes. A strong pair of arms lifted him from the floor.

“Hullo, Harry,” Charlie said, clapping him on the shoulder.

“Hey,” Harry replied. Looking around, he asked, “Where is everyone?”

“Ron and Hermione went upstairs, Mum’s outside helping Ginny in, the rest are in the kitchen. What took you so long?” Charlie asked, looking at him quizzically.

“Dumbledore,” Harry said shortly.

“Ah,” Charlie said knowingly. “Say no more.”

He and Harry walked into the kitchen. There were unpoppable balloons floating in all the corners. Streamers hung from the ceiling, hundreds of candles flickered, and the table was laden with food. Mr. Weasley stood in a corner avidly discussing toasters with Tonks. Bill and Fleur Delacour were sitting at a table with Kingsley and Lupin. Fleur looked up and waved excitedly to Harry. He gave her a little smile and Charlie steered him over.

“’Ello, ‘Arry,” Fleur said brightly. “’Ow ‘ave you been?”

“Good, I guess,” Harry sat down. Bill reached over to shake Harry’s hand.

“Blimey! What happened to your face?” he asked.

“I ran into a door,” Harry lied, then changing the subject, “Where’s Fred and George?”

“Fred’s picking up his date and George was at work, last time we checked,” Bill replied.

“Who’s his date?” Harry asked.

“Some girl ‘e knew at ‘Ogwarts,” Fleur aid breezily. “Angeleena somezing or ozzer.”

“Angelina Johnson?” Harry gaped. “When did that happen?”

“Last September,” Charlie supplied. “Poor bloke. First thing in his life he has ever been serious about.”

Lupin leaned across the table to interrupt him. “Might I have a quick word with you, Harry?” He arose and Harry followed silently. The hallway was dark, a sharp contrast to the coziness and warmth of the kitchen.

“Harry, I want to speak with you about something.”

Harry lowered his head. Great, he thought. Another lecture. That’s all I need now. He steeled himself.

Lupin placed his hands on Harry’s shoulders. “We all pretty much know that you’ve decided to become an Auror. Quite frankly, I don’t see you having any problem attaining that goal.”

Harry lifted his head as Lupin continued.

“Harry, you have been given a remarkable gift. When Voldemort gave you that scar, you also know that he gave you some of his powers. There’s a part of him inside you.”

Harry nodded. “Dumbledore already-“

“I know,” Lupin interrupted. “I know that he told you this. However, I want to caution you. You’ve been marked for greatness. That does not mean for good. You could easily use your powers for evil and in doing so, you will be trapped. There is no going back.” Lupin lowered his eyes. “Beware Harry.” He looked back up. “Beware of pushing the good things away. Memories, lessons-“ he paused. “People. In these things will you be saved.”




As Harry sat in the kitchen that night amongst all the festivities and cheer, he thought back on Lupin's words. Their meaning was clear than crystal. He watched Ginny as she sat in a comfortable chair near the fire. Her head was bandaged, her leg was propped up, and her face was swollen. However, as the firelight danced across her hair and lit its short strands with gold, as her eyes danced, she had never looked more beautiful.

What have I done? he though. How could I give that up? I love her. Shouldn't I be holding on to that?

Save her,
another voice said. Don't let her be hurt, it's not worth it.

She's worth it,
the other voice said. Love's worth it.




I'm so sorry that it took so long for the update to get in. I've been really busy with school stuff and theatre stuff. Then, I got sick last weekend. But I'm back now and I intend to get posting a lot more. This book I hope will cover the entire sixth year so I'm only about halfway through. Here's your spoiler:

"Will they ever grow up?" she asked in exasperation.

"Not likely," Harry said. "And I wouldn't want them to change," he added as an afterthought.


To my faithful readers, thank you for being, well, faithful. I love you all and please forgive me for letting my story go so long without an update! Also, review review REVIEW!!! I'm waiting to get some feedback so I know that you guys still want more story. I'm sure you do but for crying out loud, tell me!!! It's the only way I get to converse with you guys and you should know by that I always reply!

Also, I'm taking a break this week from updating. I won't have enough access to a computer often enough so I will spend the week writing. Please leave reviews while I'm gone. My goal is two hundred by the time chapter twenty is posted.