Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N This isn't mine. Well, it is, but the characters and setting and everything else you recognize is JKR's. Darn her.




The long table was set with silver plates and goblets, seemingly groaning with the weight of the food. Harry sat between Mundungus and George, opposite Bill and Fleur. Silence fell over the table when Dumbledore arose, holding his glass aloft.

“To the couple,” he said brightly. “May many long years be ahead of you. Live in happiness, working together as one and may you overcome your differences as you do."

Professor McGonagall stood. "I wish you joy in times of war and peace.”

As they went around the table, each person had some piece of advice or wish for happiness for the couple. When it was finally Harry's turn, he stood and awkwardly spoke.

"Er--congratulations," he said. "As many of you know, when Sirius died, he left this house to me. Professor Lupin and Tonks spent all summer here, working on it and fixing it up." He held out a piece of paper. "This is the deed to Grimmauld Place. I want you to have it." He handed the paper to Lupin. Tonks looked up at him with tears in her eyes.

"Harry, we can't accept--"

"Please," he interrupted. "I don't want it and I don't need it. The only stipulation is that it must be used for the Order still. That is what Sirius wished when he gave it to me."

"Thank you," Lupin said quietly. "Thank you so much."




As the festivities were finished, Lupin and Tonks left. With many calls of congratulations and well wishes, along with some crude suggestions by the twins, the house began to empty. Finally, it was only the Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry left. Ginny had gone to bed some time earlier and the twins had returned to the Burrow.

Noticing Ron yawning, Mrs. Weasley said, "Why don't you lot go to bed now. I'll take care of the cleaning up." She shooed them all upstairs.

Not wanting to deal with Ron's silence, Harry didn't go to the room. Instead, he continued up the stairs. Three flights up, he turned left and headed into Sirius' old room.

Nothing in it had been changed since Sirius had died. Harry sat down on the bed and looked around. There were two tables on either side of the bed. Across the room was a large dresser and against the far wall was a wardrobe next to a chest. Harry walked over to it and read aloud what was engraved on the top.

"J and L," he said. "J, L....James and Lily....Mom and Dad." He tried to lift the cover but it wouldn't budge. He pulled his wand from his pocket.

"Alohomora!" He tried again but nothing happened.

Disappointed, Harry walked over to the wardrobe to go through it. Instead of a normal set of roves, Harry found many other things in it. He pulled a familiar lloking set of red and gold robes, the name "Potter" splashed across the back. "Dad's Quidditch robes," he murmured, laying them down on the bed. Next, he pulled out dress robes of black and a white dress. Noticing a bit of parchment with them, he read it.

James and Lily's wedding robes. Being Muggle-Born, Lily chose to wear a traditional muggle gown.

Harry looked at it. The dress was long with a beaded skirt that rustled when it moved. It had a simple bodice and the sleeves were covered in lace. At the cuffs were tiny pink rosebuds.

"Mum must have looked beautiful," Harry said to himself. After emptying the wardrobe of his parents clothes, he picked up an old leatherbound book and it fell open, a note falling out of it.

"A History of the Potters," he read aloud. Curious, he skipped to the end to find that he was already written in. Picking up the note, it said, Harry, this is the history of your dad's family. It writes itself as you create your own history. Thought you might find something interesting in it.

Harry laid the book aside and prepared to shut the wardrobe. As he began to close the door, he saw a parchment envelope in the back. It was addressed to him. Using the tip of his wand to open it, he smoothed out the creases and read the familiar writing.

Dear Harry, in this wardrobe and chest, I have kept many of your parents belongings. Dumbledore recovered them from their home in Godric's Hollow. It's not completely empty yet, this is all he could get at the time. Someday, you and I will go home and get the rest. The key to the chest is enclosed in this envelope.
Sirius


Harry reached into the envelope and pulled out an ornate oldfashioned key, threaded on a faded red ribbon. It was gold and a lion's head was shaped at the top. Moving back to the chest, he inserted the key and it opened.

First, he pulled out a large red book that turned out to be a photo album. In the first pages were pictures of babies, on with black hair, the other with curiously green eyes. Flipping through, they got older, now there were pictures of Sirius and James at Hogwarts. There were pictures of Lily in her school robes, a prefect badge pinned to her chest. At the end were wedding pictures. Laying it down, Harry picked up another album which was fully of pictures of a baby with black hair and green eyes. Me, he thought.

Harry yawned and tiredly glanced at his watch. It read 3:47. With a start, he realized he had been at this for more than three hours. He quickly put everything back but the albums and the family history. He'd come back another time to look deeper. Putting the key safely in his pocket he left the room.

Going down the stairs, he entered his door. After stowing the three heavy books in his backpack, Harry fell on his bed and went to sleep, a smile on his face. He had found his parents tonight and had never felt closer to them.




I love my story. It just makes me so happy. Okay, it will pick up after this, I promise. I assure you, the next chapter is one of my favorites. It'll be up as soon as possible. A spoiler you ask? Why, sure.

"You don't know what you want," Ginny replied angrily, jerking her hand away.

Enjoy and don't kill me.