Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
AN I love this chapter. I spent a lot of time preparing it for you. HP is JKR's and I'm TO'd!




Harry woke up late the next day. Ginny had already been taken back to Hogwarts with the St. Mungo’s people. About an hour later, everybody else left.

The ride back to Hogwarts was uneventful. Mrs. Weasley had ushered them all onto the Knight Bus and they were off. Being Christmas Eve, it was packed with last minute travelers and Harry found himself on the top deck, which wobbled so furiously that he was clinging on for his life. Through a little sweet talk from Mrs. Weasley (“You’ll do it or I’ll curse you so badly that you won’t be able to sit for years!”) the Hogwarts bound group was allowed off first.

“Bye ‘Arry Potter!” called Stan Shunpike as Harry moved down the stairs. Mrs. Weasley threw him a dirty look and he quickly looked away.

“Be good,” she said to the three pulling them in to hug them one by one.

“Take care of Ginny,” she said to Ron who straightened his shoulders. “You too, Harry. She thinks the world of you.”

Harry hung his head but Mrs. Weasley didn’t notice. She’d already boarded the bus and it pulled away.




Harry stood in front of a mirror in his dress robes and sighed. He had a plan for getting Ginny back. Nervously he tried to smooth his hair to lie down flat. Suddenly, what felt like an electric jolt seared through his forehead. He doubled over in pain and clapped his hand to his scar. Moments later, the pain had passed and he straightened up slowly.

“I haven’t felt that for awhile,” he said to his reflection. “What could it mean?”

“What?”

Harry spun around. “N-nothing Neville. Just talking to myself.”

“Oh,” said Neville, walking over to adjust his robes in the mirror.

“So,” Harry said, trying to change the subject. “Do you have a date for tonight?”

Neville turned slightly pink. “Actually, I do.”

Harry was shocked. “Really? Who?”

Neville blushed even redder. “Luna Lovegood,” he mumbled.

“Good for you. I’m glad you asked her.” Harry clapped him on the shoulder.

“Actually, she asked me.”

Harry was speechless. “Oh,” was all he could manage.

“Well,” Neville said after an awkward silence. “I’ve gotta get going. I’ll see you later.”

“See you.” Turning back to the mirror, Harry tried to flatten his hair again. He stared at his reflection.

“Don’t do it tonight,” he told his scar. “Not now.”




The Great Hall was brightly decorated with Christmas trees and wreaths. Mistletoe hung at all the entrances and instead of candles, Christmas baubles floated gaily about the students as they danced. A light snow fell upon them, surprisingly warm to the touch, which disappeared before it hit the ground. Instead of a live band, instruments had been bewitched to play on their own. As Harry walked through the open doors, he looked over the heads of the crowd, searching for Ginny. Unable to see her, he walked to the refreshment table and grabbed a butterbeer. Taking at seat he observed those who were dancing. Luna and Neville were nearby. Neville kept tripping over their feet while Luna just hummed to herself, a dreamy expression on her face. Harry could see Ron at another table making jealous glances across the room. Harry followed his gaze and saw the subject of Ron’s envy. Hermione and Krum were dancing together. Hermione kept laughing and flipping her long straight hair out of her eyes. Harry watched Ron’s fists clench, unclench and clench again.

I’ve had enough of this, Harry thought. Ginny’s not even here. He got up, disappointed, and started to head back to the common room, however, something told him to go outside. Following the feeling, he walked out the doors and headed to the gardens. Being fairly early in the evening, it was still empty of students. Harry shivered under his cloak and turned to go back inside when he heard a soft noise. Someone was crying. Peering around a bush, he saw the short red hair before seeing her face. It was Ginny. Her boyish haircut had been curled under into a nineteen twenties bob. She wore red dress robes of a soft gauzy material. Despite the bandaging across her nose and the cast on her ankle, she looked beautiful. A twig snapped under his weight and she quickly turned, wiping her eyes with a lacey handkerchief.

“Spying on me, Harry?” she said softly. “Am I so ugly that you’ve come back to stare?”

Harry sat down next to her on the cold stone bench. “What have I done?” he asked. “How could I have been such a fool?”

Ginny scoffed. “What is this? Now you’re going to come crawling back? Feed me some bull about how you want things back the way they were?”

“No,” Harry said, taking her hand. “I want it to be better.”

“You don’t know what you want,” Ginny replied, jerking her hand away. “Do you have any idea the pain you put me through? I thought my injuries from the accident were excruciating but when you broke up with me, they paled in comparison to the dagger that impaled my heart. Why should I trust you when you say that you love me? The last time I heard that, you broke up with me the following day! You couldn’t even give me a reason why! Later that day when Hermione came to see me, I understood.”

“How are you feeling?” Hermione asked cheerfully.

“I feel as though I’ve been attacked by a Bludger, than dropped from a very great height,” Ginny replied sarcastically.

“Well, that’s good. That’s exactly how I’d expect you to be feeling.”

“Did you bring everything I asked for?” Ginny said.

Hermione unloaded her backpack onto the bed. “Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Divination, and Charms.”

Ginny nodded. “What about the mirror?”

Hermione looked uncomfortable. “Are you sure you want to do this? You don’t have to, you know.”

“I know. But it’s something I need to do.”

Hermione sighed and passed the little hand mirror to Ginny. Taking it, she closed her eyes, held it up, and then opened them. A bandage stretched over her head, the hair cut short. Her cheek was swollen and an enormous bruise spread across her nose and her eyes. Silent tears ran down her face as she lay the mirror face down on the covers.

“You do know,” Hermione said comfortingly, “That Madame Pomfrey said in a couple of week, your skull will be healed and you can use a Hair-Thickening Charm on it.”

Ginny smiled sadly. “Yes, but I’d still have my cheek and leg to worry about. She said it could take months for the swelling to go down and because of the break last year, the limp may never heal.” She started to cry again, and Hermione put an arm around her shoulder.

“I don’t blame him,” Ginny sobbed. “I look like a hag!”


“I knew then. You couldn’t stand to be with me, as disfigured and ugly as I was. My face was swollen, I had a limp and all my hair was gone. I gave up hope. I wanted to die.”

Harry’s eyes filled. “Ginny you always were the most beautiful girl in the world. You’re still that girl. Nothing has changed. Your hair will grow and in time you will heal. But were you bald, crippled and permanently disfigured, you would still be the most beautiful girl in the world.”

“I don’t know if I can believe that,” Ginny whispered, tears clinging to her eyelashes.

Harry took a deep breath. “You said you wanted a reason, Gin. I was afraid. I was afraid.

“You?” Ginny said with scorn. “You’re not afraid of anything.”

“My worst fear came true,” Harry said, his voice shaky. “I lost you.”

“That’s not my fault, you-”

“We’re like history repeating itself,” Harry interrupted. “I found something at Grimmauld Place. It was a history of my family. I didn’t get a good look at everything in it, but I read about my parents. Have you ever seen a picture of my mother and father?”

Ginny shook her head and Harry reached into his pocket.

“There’s a strong resemblance. You look a lot like her.” He handed a wizard photograph of Lily and James at Hogwarts to her. “From what I’ve been told, you act a lot like her. You’re sweet, funny, smart, and beautiful.”

Ginny handed the picture back. “So, you don’t want us to be like your parents? I don’t understand what you’re afraid of; you’re not making any sense.”

“I feared that by loving you, you would become a weapon that Voldemort could use against me. He would kill you because it would hurt me.”

Ginny looked at Harry, understanding and pity dawning in her eyes.

“You idiot,” she said gently. “Why didn’t you just tell me? It should be my choice more than yours whether or not I take that risk.”

“I know that-now,” Harry admitted. “Ginny, I love you. I want you to take me back.”

Ginny closed and opened her eyes. “I’m not ready for love.” She laid her hand, cold from the falling snow, on his arm. “I’ll go out with you Harry, on one condition. The next time love is mentioned, let it come from my mouth.” She moved close and softly brushed her lips over his. “I’m just not ready for it.”

Noticing her shivering, Harry wrapped his arms around her. "We should probably get inside," he said.

“Not yet,” she murmured. “I’m perfectly warm here with you.”

Music drifted through the still, icy air. Harry looked down a Ginny with a smile and said, “Dance with me?”

“I’d love to, but….” Ginny looked pointedly at her ankle. Without another word, Harry scooped her up in his arms, swirling her around as the chorus played. Ginny threw her head back and laughed in a silvery tone, like bells ringing out over the silent castle. Snowflakes fell on the two of them, clinging to their hair, their clothes, and their eyelashes as they simply laughed and danced on.

“I have never felt like this,” Harry said breathily, stopping and pulling Ginny closer.

Breathless from laughing, Ginny looked into Harry’s green eyes and in one slow movement, she kissed him and pulled back, saying, “Get used to it.” She leaned her head against his chest feeling the quick rhythm of his heart. He sat down and slid his cloak from one shoulder, wrapping it around the two of them. Just holding her and rocking back and forth, Harry felt, not the cold, but the peace and belonging he had been denied his whole life.




Sorry for the wait! As I said, this chapter is my favorite. I rewrote so many times, I hope you enjoy it. I'll try to update faster, it's just that I've been so busy. My One Act Play advanced at competition on Tuesday! Now on to the things you guys care about.........drumroll, please.........SPOILER!


His hands were clammy on her waist, his feet felt too big and awkward. Sweat formed along his forehead and he coughed nervously.


Enjoy!