Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N Will you ever forgive me for taking this long?




February 14th dawned brightly. Snow was still on the ground and the air was crisp and cold. As the 3rd years and up gathered to leave, their breath was visible in the chill and they pulled their scarves up over their faces and their hats down to cover their ears.

Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione wandered around Hogsmeade for a while, not really watching where they were going. Passing Madam Puddifoot’s tea shop, he glanced inside the steamy window and saw the strangest thing, causing him to do a double take. Sitting by the window were…Neville and Luna. Shaking the bizarre image from his head, he hurried to catch up with the others.

“What should we do now?” Ginny asked when they got to the end of the street.

Ron’s teeth chattered as he said, “Why don’t we go to the Three Broomsticks for a butterbeer and warm up there?”

“Alright, then,” Harry agreed. They walked into the pub and Hermione went to the counter for drinks while the rest found a table.

“There you go,” she said, coming back with the bottles and sliding into the booth next to Ron. He put his arm around her.

“Finally,” he said teasingly, “we’ve found a good job for you. Serving me.” In response, she playfully punched his arm.

As they sat in their booth, looking around and sipping their butterbeer, they heard the bell on the door ring as it opened.

Krum walked into the pub, shaking snow off his hat. Seeing his students, he waved and walked over.

“Good afternoon,” he said brightly. “It is a cold day today, isn’t it?”

Ron sat tensely without answering.

“Yeah,” Harry said uneasily, glancing over towards Ron. “It’s really cold.”

“It reminds me of being in Bulgaria. Ve vere alvays trying to get varmer.” He smiled at them all, then seemed to notice Ron’s _expression. “Vell…I must be going now. Goodbye.”

Hermione elbowed Ron hard. “Bye,” she called as Krum headed back to the bar.

“So,” Ginny said after an awkward pause. “What are we going to do next?”

“Why don’t we split up for a bit,” Harry suggested. “I’m sure the girls have shopping or something to do.”

“Good idea.” Hermione stood up. “Come on, Ginny.”

“We’ll meet you at 3:30 in front of the Post Office,” Ron said as the girls left through the door.

“Let’s get going,” Harry said, throwing a couple of Sickles onto the table.

The snow-covered streets were far more crowded now than they had been when they went into the pub. Dodging several snowballs and a couple of carriages, Ron said, “Where do we need to go?”

“I’ve no idea. I haven’t ever shopped for a girl. What kinds of things would Ginny like?”

“Hm.” Ron thought for a moment. “Ginny’s not like other girls. She’s not into all that flowers and chocolates and sentimental stuff. She’d prefer you to make her laugh. Get her something useful.”

“Yeah, but where would I go to get something like that? I don’t imagine that something from Zonko’s would do.”

“Heavens, no!” a voice behind them said. Harry and Ron turned to see Cho.

“Oh?” Ron said. “Where do you propose that we go?”

“Treasured Trinkets,” Cho replied easily. “They’ve got some great stuff in there.”

“Where is it?” Harry asked.

Cho pointed down the street. “It’s down there, just past Madam Malkin’s.”

Harry and Ron looked at each other, then hurried off down the street.

“Thanks,” Harry said over his shoulder.

“Be sure to tell the shopkeeper that Cho sent you!” she called back.

As they passed Madam Malkin’s Robes shop, they saw a little building nestled next to it. It looked more like a small cottage than a shop. Opening the door, Harry and Ron gasped. There was one large room, filled with shelves of what could best be described as trinkets. There were earrings, necklaces, and pendants, all sparkling gaily against the mahogany wood they were laid upon. A man with light brown hair and warm brown eyes smiled at them from behind the counter.

“Hullo, lads. What can I do for ye?” He had a heavy Scottish brogue.

“We’re looking for a gift.” Harry said. “Er “ Cho sent us here.” he added awkwardly.

“To be sure! That lass is always sending people in here. Thinks I need the extra business. But if I’ve told her once, I’ve told her a thousand times, ‘Daughter, let me be worrying about it meself.’ But does she ever listen?” He smiled, his eyes twinkling to let them know he wasn’t serious.

“Wait a minute,” Harry said. “Cho’s…your daughter?”

“Technically speaking, she’s not. Her own parents died, see. A few years back. Me wife and meself took the little mite in. We were friends of her Mum and Da. The name’s Billy Keegan.” He held out his hand and they shook. “Now,” he said, suddenly businesslike. “What might it be that the two of ye are interested in?”

“We need a gift for Valentine’s Day,” Ron said.

“Ah,” Mr. Keegan nodded. “And what type of lass is it that ye’ll be buyin’ it for?”

“She’s uh…a lot of…well, she can…I…”

Mr. Keegan laughed heartily. “Quit your stammerin’, boy! Alright, an easier question for ye, then. What were ye thinkin’ of getting her?”

Harry found his voice. “I guess something fun, that’s not too girly. Maybe a simple necklace or something that’s useful.”

“Hm. Ye know somethin’ lad, I might have just the thing.”

Harry and Ron followed him to a shelf in the back. Mr. Keegan pulled a jeweled box out and handed a little cord to Harry. Reading over it, Harry smiled.

"Perfect. I’ll take it.”

The shopkeeper handed him the box after putting it in a purple velvet bag.

“That’ll be 1 Galleon and 13 Sickles.” He turned to Ron. “Anything for ye, then?”

Ron turned red. “I’m good,” he said hastily. “I’ve already done my shopping.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry and Ron hurried towards the Post Office, dodging people and carriages once more.

“Hurry up, we’re late!” Harry hissed. Skidding to a stop, Harry and Ron looked around. They were at the Post Office, it was 3:40, and the girls weren’t there.

“You don’t think they got mad and left us?” Ron asked worriedly.

“Pssst!”

Both boys turned towards the sound. Hermione stood at the corner of the alley, beckoning them forward anxiously.

“Hermione, what-” she pulled them after her, silencing them with a shake of her head. Further down sat Ginny, and with her…

“What happened?” Harry cried, rushing forward.




Special thanks to CuteandQuirky for taking the time to type this up for me! I love ya!

I've given you a lovely cliffie to think about for awhile. Please don't abandon me for my lack of posting, I'm really trying my best. Even if I can't update, I have been keeping up with writing and I've even started a sequel. As always, here's a lovely little spoiler!

Knowing what he must do, he pointed his wand.

"Stupefy!"


Now, you can all go ahead and tell me I'm evil for the things I do to you!