Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N Just trying to get this up as fast as possible. Have much fun reading, but don't think that I'm JKR because I'm really just playing with her stuff, like everybody else here.




"What are you doing?" Ginny asked, coming up behind Harry in the Gryffindor common room and kissing him on the cheek.

"I'm just looking through these diaries," Harry replied. "Listen to this."

August 20

Dear Diary, you'll never believe this. You know all the weird things I can do? It's because I'm a witch! Mum, Dad, Petunia, and I were so surprised to find out. I have to go to a special school called Hogwarts where they'll train me. I can't wait, but I wish Petunia could go, too.


Harry closed the book. "That was written the year that my mum turned eleven. There's ten books, each on with about a year in it. In this one, she mentions my dad."

November 12

Diary, that James Potter is so arrogant. He keeps riding around on his Nimbus 1500, messing up his hair and flexing his muscles. Ha! As if you could call them muscles. I wish I could just walk up and say, "Jimmy, you're just a thirteen year old boy and if you think all that Quidditch is helping you muscle then you must not realize that Seekers are typically just as scrawny as you!" That would show him. He hates to
be called Jimmy which is exactly why I do it.


"It's strange," Ginny said. "From all I've heard about them, your parents were desperately in love. What changed?"

Harry handed her the seventh diary. "My dad did. He grew up a lot when he was Head Boy. What I don't understand is the relationship between Mum and Aunt Petunia. My aunt hates her, but in these diary's my mum says nothing but good things about her. I just want to know what went wrong."

"Maybe the answers are in the diaries," Ginny suggested.

"I thought so, too." Harry grinned. "Now, will you go through them with me?"

Ginny smiled. "I thought you'd never ask."

August 31

Dear Diary, tomorrow I am leaving for Hogwarts. I can hardly believe that it's my last year. Yesterday, I got a letter from Professor McGonagall. I'm Head Girl! I can't wait to see who Head Boy is. I just hope it isn't. . .well, never mind.

Petunia has a boyfriend, Johnny Hilton. He's really nice but Petunia hasn't told him about my being a witch. She's afraid of how he'd react. I would so hate it if my magic got in the way again. Thankfully, Petunia was in the process of breaking up with Alan when that owl flew in. Otherwise, she might not have ever forgiven me. I was worried that the memory charm would make him forget the break up as well, but Petunia lucked out.

I hear Mum calling me, diary. I need to finish packing. I'll write again after the opening feast tomorrow night. Then I can tell you all about the Head Boy!


October 5

Dear Diary, in these last few weeks, I've noticed something different about James. He's not quite as arrogant as he used to be. Now that he's turning eighteen, he's matured a lot and we're becoming good friends. I know, I know. After all the terrible things I've said about him, I must sound like an awful
hypocrite. But, it's the truth and I'm really glad he's the other Head.

I've gotten to know his friends by now, as well. Sirius is a lot of fun and Remus is always so nice and polite. Imagine my shock at discovering he's a werewolf! I'm sure that's why they call him Moony. I haven't figured out the other nicknames yet, Prongs, Padfoot, and Wormtail. As for Peter, of all the "Marauders," he's the one that I know the least about. Somehow, he frightens me, though James just laughed
when I told him that. He told me that Peter was harmless but I still don't trust him.

I'm going to bed now. It's a Hogsmeade trip tomorrow and James invited me to go with him.


November 30

Dearest Diary, I could fly to heaven and back! I've never been so happy! James kissed me tonight. It was so perfect, so wonderful. . .but of course, Filch caught us and we had to run for it. But it was still the best night of my entire life! I'm going to invite James to my house for Christmas. Petunia really wanted to meet him. Johnny has proposed to her and
she's so happy now! I can't wait to all of them again.


December 24

Well, Diary, I'm home! Poor James was really tired. I think it has something to do with Remus and the full moon but he couldn't possibly have stayed up with him, that would have been too dangerous. Anyway, he slept the entire time we were on the Underground. He sat with his head, leaning against my shoulder and he looked so young and helpless. It's hard to imagine him being a powerful Auror but I know he'll be a great one.

Petunia pulled me aside as Dad took James to the guest room. She told me that he was adorable and that if she didn't have Johnny, she would steal him from me. I just laughed.

Dinner was a lot of fun tonight. Afterwards, James and I got a box of Filibuster's Fireworks and set them off in the back yard. We sat there for a long time, holding hands and staring at the sky. He tried to kiss me, but Petunia came outside and he quickly pulled away. The look on his face was so funny, I laughed so hard, my stomach still hurts. Tomorrow Johnny is going to be here for Christmas dinner.


December 25

Diary, what have I done? I've spoiled everything and now Petunia will never forgive James and me. Johnny wasn't supposed to be here until five. At four, we began to decorate the house, naturally doing it with magic. James was throwing tinsel at me and I was throwing the popcorn garlands back. Suddenly, I fell off the ladder and James used Wingardium Leviosa to catch me-just as Johnny walked into the house.

His jaw dropped and...Petunia tried to explain but he would have none of it. He yelled that she was a freak, I was a freak, the stalked back out the door. James tried to lighten the mood by pointing his wand at Johnny and saying, "I can still get him from here." It was tactless and Petunia exploded. She started shrieking and throwing things at him. Mum and Dad came running. After hearing what had happened, they took her to her room to talk to her.

James and I are going to leave tomorrow and let her cool down. One thing's for sure. Johnny won't be marrying Petunia. He called and broke it off saying that he couldn't marry into a house of freaks. Petunia hates me and hates James even more.


"I guess that's it," Harry said, looking up from the diary. "If Johnny hadn't been so close-minded he would have married Petunia and I might have grown up a lot happier."

"Not necessarily," Ginny said, holding a newspaper clipping. "This was in the 8th diary. Apparently, Johnny liked to gamble, lost all his money and ended up going crazy. He's in a home now and the only intelligible words he speaks are about either flying or magic."

Harry gave a half-smile. "That's justice for you." He yawned. "I think I'm ready for bed. Goodnight, Gin."

"If it's alright with you, I think I'd like to read a little more."

Harry nodded and headed up to the dormitory.

June 11

Dear, dear, dear, a hundred times dear Diary! It's finally happened. I'm going to be married! As I sit here and write this, I observe the beautiful ring on my left hand.

The band is gold, centered ontop is an enormous diamond which is surrounded by alternating emeralds and rubies. The ring alone could have made me say yes. Of course, James alone could have made me say yes! Oh, it was so romantic.

We were on patrol and he suddenly turned and said that he had a surprise for me, but I'd have to be blindfolded to get it. I complied and he started to lead me somewhere. Before I knew it, we were outside and he was sitting me on a broomstick. He sat behind me and wrapped his strong arms around me. Suddenly, I felt the wind rush past my face and I knew we were flying, but James still didn't speak. It was glorious to lean back against him, feeling completely safe.
Then, the broom stopped and he helped me down.

He told me to take hold of a rail and I did. He guided my foot to step up, then I felt him against me, I felt his heart beating rapidly and he told me to let go of the railing. When I felt his arms about me, I did. He told me to look straight ahead as he pulled the blindfold off.

I stood on the highest pinnacle of Hogwarts. The only thing higher than us was the moon and the stars. I saw the world from miles away, stretching out before me. As I gasped in awe, I felt James move away. Something in the forest caught my eye and firewords suddenly exploded reading, "Prongs loves Lily!"

I turned around and before me was a beautiful stag with soft brown eyes and magnificent antlers. I finally understood what Prongs was.

James turned back into a human and took my hand, kneeling down on one knee. He told me he loved me, then said that the greatest sacrifice you could give was yourself. And that's what he did. He gave himself completely to me and asked me to marry him. I said yes.

Diary, I feel that something important has happened here tonight. Something that will impact the world. Not even Voldemort can destroy us. Through out love, we can do anything.


"Thank you, Lily," whispered Ginny, tears streaming down her face. "You've already given the world so much with your deaths and by letting us keep your son. You've also shown me the importance of love."




Yeah, so it's a little corny. I like corny. And yes, also slightly Titanic-ish but at least there was no "king of the world" quote. I love the idea that Voldemort didn't really destroy them. Killed them yes, but they do live on in Harry.