Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N Hey guys, sorry about the wait. Please enjoy and while you do, understand that it took me two hours, a container of eyedrops, and a sore back to type this for you.

Props to JKR, not me. ;)




"Now Bill and Fleur!" Ron exclaimed, reading a letter from his mother. "Barely three months ago Fred and Angelina got married. How could they?"

"They're married?" asked Harry incredulously.

"No, engaged, but still!"

"It's the war," Hermione said idly, turning the pages of her book.

"Excuse me?" Ron said.

"What she means is, people are scared and they're doing things they normally wouldn't in times of peace. Kind of like, if this was your last day to live, what would you do?" Ginny grinned. "But for once, Hermione's wrong. Bill's been planning this for months. He told me so at Christmas."

"How's Penny doing?" Harry asked.

"Fine. She stayed at the Burrow for awhile," said Ginny. "Tonks invited her and Janey to live with her at Grimmauld Place. They moved in last week."

"I'm glad it's getting put to good use," said Harry.

"When's your evaluation with McGonagall?" Hermione asked, changing the subject.

"This morning," Ginny replied.

"Are you absolutely sure that you want to be a Healer?" Ron asked. Ginny glared at him.

"I'm positive."

"Only fools are positive," he retorted.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive!"

Ginny rolled her eyes as Harry and Hermione laughed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Miss Weasley, have you given any thought to what you
wish to do when you graduate from Hogwarts?" Professor McGonagall eyed her from over the rims of her square shaped spectacles.

"Yes, I have," Ginny replied. "I'm going to be a Healer." She said this with such certainty that McGonagall looked at her piercingly for several seconds before shuffling through the leaflets piled on her desk.

"Ah yes, here we are," she said, extracting one. "Your grades will need to be exceptional for this career. The classes you must take are Herbology, Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. In each you must receive an "O" at NEWT level." She pulled a folder out from inside her desk.

Opening it, she told Ginny, "It seems that you have been highly marked in all of your classes."

Laying all the papers down, she folded her hands and once more eyed Ginny.

"Miss Weasley, this is a very difficult path to take. After you graduate, there will be another ten years at Healing school. It's also a very stressful job and not very conducive to having a family." Ginny opened her mouth to retort but McGonagall continued.

"I say this simply because it's the truth. As a Healer, you won't be home very often and you would have little time to spend with a husband and children. However, that is all up to you. You're very strong-willed and I wouldn't put it past you to succeed at anything you set your mind to." McGonagall

smiled.

"In short, Miss Weasley, I feel that this is a very suitable career for you. You have to drive and determination to be successful as a Healer. Do you have any questions?"

"No Professor."

"Very well. This concludes our career consultation." McGonagall shook Ginny's hand warmly, with a smile that softened her severe eyes. "Good luck."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"How'd it go?" Harry asked, that evening in the common room.

"It went well," Ginny replied, settling herself on the couch next to Harry. She leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Why do you want to be a Healer so badly?" Harry asked.

"I want to help people. I've been thinking about specializing in long term cases, like Neville's parents. I know it's too late for them, but through research, we might be able to help others."

"I'm proud of you," Harry said, kissing her on top of the head. "I want to catch the bad guys but you prefer to heal those that they hurt. Healers don't get enough recognition but there's is the more noble work."

He chuckled. "Half the time, I'm not even sure that I want to be an Auror."

"It's okay to change your dream," Ginny said, sitting up. "It doesn't define who you are. One day, you might learn that you don't love what you do. When that happens, do what you love, not because it's right, or good, but because you love it."

"Did anyone ever tell you that you're very . . . wise for a fifteen year old?"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Harry, get some sleep. You're starting to talk crazy."

"Your first patient ever," Harry retorted, sticking out his tongue while Ginny grinned.

"I'll see you in the morning, Harry."

"Goodnight," he replied as she kissed him on the cheek.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

With the approaching OWL's only a week away the studying in the common room was intense. Harry sat with Ginny at a table, reviewing her for her Charms practical exam while Hermione was looking over Ginny's sample questions, correcting them meticulously.

Nearby, Colin was fiddling with his camera, his shut, muttering antidotes under his breath. Kyla was sitting across from Neville and reciting the names of various plants and their uses.

The mounting stress was evident. Ron was busily keeping fourth years and below quiet with various threats of point deductions, detentions, and disembowelment.

Ginny massaged her temples, agitatedly.

"You alright?" Harry asked.

"I'm fine," she replied. "Just tired. Give me the next one."

Harry glanced back at the book. "Incantation for summoning charm and wand movement."

"Accio," she said. "You indicate the item to be summoned with wand."

Harry grinned. "Good."

Hermione passed a stack of papers to Ginny. "You only missed a couple and they were really close."

"Thanks." Ginny yawned.

"Are you sure that you're fine?" Harry asked, laying his hand on her shoulder. "You're really pale and your eyes are bloodshot."

"I just need to rest," she murmured. "Let me lay my head down for a bit." She leaned her head on her arms and shut her eyes, breathing deeply.

Herione clicked her tongue. "She really should get more sleep. She's just too--"

"Hermione, I don't think that's what's wrong!" Harry interupted, staring at Ginny, wide-eyed. Her breathing became harsh and rapid, then a small moan escaped her lips.

"Ginny!" cried Harry, as she slumped to the floor. He pulled her head up and her eyes opened, wide, and un-seeing.

"Get help!" he yelled. Out the corner of his eye, he saw Kyla dash to the door. Ron and Hermione knelt be his side and several students began to gather about them.

"Is she-" But Ron's question was answered when she began to speak, her voice strained and raspy.

"The final battle can only be won when it ends how it was begun. He who was born as the seventh month died will be tested, weighed, measured and tried. But the time has come for him to stand, against not his first enemy, but the silver hand. Long it could be until this is won when the battled ends how it was begun.

"Hold strong Gryffindor, for this war you're in, could end bad, or good, agaisnt Slytherin. Inside some hearts a monster is found, when unleashed great rage and terror is found. But ere the end, the monster is slain, difference in blood, pure or not, is feigned. Still, the final battle can only be won after it ends, how it was begun.
"

Harry stared down at her as she fell silent, shaking, with tears streaming down her cheeks. The crowd that had gathered about backed up slowly, and Ron and Hermione looked uneasy, disbelief etched on their faces.

"Ginny-" Harry was cut off as Kyla came flying back.

"She's coming, Harry!"

Professor McGonagall rushed into the room, her robes flapping behind her.

"Miss Weasley!" Ginny's eyes flew open. She gazed into Harry's fearfully and did not look away as McGonagall continued.

"Are you-is this-I can't-" For perhaps the first time in her life, she was speechless. Quickly regaining her voice, she uttered, "I suppose . . . hospital wing."

"No!" Harry said, sharply. "We have to get her to Dumbledore." Turning back to the pale girl, still watching him intently, he gently asked, "Can you walk?"

"Yes," Ginny whispered, but as she attempted to stand, she fell back into Harry's arms. "No."

Harry lifted her with ease, yet still, her eyes never left his face. He walked past McGonagall who seemed very flustered, and Ron and Hermione jumped to follow.

"As . . . as you were," McGonagall said faintly to the bewildered students, then hurried to catch up.

The four marched silently down the hall, with McGonagall now ahead of them.

"Drooble's Blowing Gum," she told the gargoyle who sprang aside, revealing the rotating staircase.

"He'll be waiting for you," McGonagall said, leaving them.

Dumbledore met them at the door and ushered them in. His face was grave and he drew up a large squashy armchair. Harry set Ginny in it, and finally she tore her gaze from him.

"I believe you know why we're here, Professor," she said softly.

He inclined his head. "I do indeed. I wish to know exactly what you Saw."

Ginny nodded wearily. "There was-"

"No, no," Dumbledore said. "Take out your wand. I'll have you use the Pensieve."

He walked over to the cupboard and pulled out the familiar stone basin. Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked on as he placed it before her.

"Point the tip of your wand to your temple and recall the memory. Good, now slowly pull the wand away."

Ginny's thought fell into the basin and images began to take form.

A Dark Mark swirled eerily into the mist and dissipated as Harry recognized his own face. When that was gone, a small rodent-like man filled the basin, terror in his eyes. Figures cloaked in shadow fought briefly as a lion and serpant lunged for each other. The basin then darkened with a deep black as they collided. Harry's face once more came swimming into view.

"Professor," asked Ron. "What does it mean?"

"I only have guesses, Mr. Weasley and how accurate they are, only time will tell." He turned to Harry.

"What can you remember of the prophecy?"

"Something about . . . the final battle, ending how it began."

"It mentioned Harry," added Hermione. "'He who was born as the seventh month died.'"

Dumbledore nodded. "The war began with Harry and Voldemort, and so it shall end. But this, we knew."

"It's time to stand against the silver hand," said Ron, carefully.

Harry nodded. "Pettigrew."

"It mentioned a monster," Hermione said quietly. "Hidden inside some hearts."

"Ah, Hermione," said Dumbledore wisely. "You know too well what that speaks of."

She hung her head. "I do sir. Bigotry."

"Precisely."

"But Hermione, it says that the monster is slain!" said Ron.

"Yes," Dumbledore assented. "It cannot win. The old prejudice will die out and muggleborns will be able to stand as equals with those of pureblood. It has already begun," he said, indicating Ron and Hermione. "However, you've left something out."

"'Hold strong Gryffindor!'" They all turned to Ginny who had thus far, remained silent. "'This war you're in will end bad or good against Slytherin.'"

"The lion and the serpent," Harry said. "Gryffindor against Slytherin. But what does it mean?"

"FIrst of all, that the outcome is still not clear," said Dumbledore. "Even fate does not know if Slytherin, or rather, Voldemort will win."

"And Gryffindor?" Harry asked.

"I believe that Miss Granger has the answer to that."

"All eyes turned to look at her.

"I. . . first of all, Harry, don't be upset."

"Just tell me," he pleaded.

"You know that book, 'The History of the Potters?' You left it out one day and I read it. Gryffindor is. . . you."

Harry gripped the sides of his chair. "What do you mean?"

"Centuries ago, Gryffindor and Slytherin were at war with each other. It was never really decided who won. Throughout the years, their descendants have continued the fight. Now, for the first time ever, only one remains from each family. The Heirs of Slytherin and Gryffindor."

"Are you saying that I'm. . ."

"Yes," said Dumbledore. "You are the last Heir of Godric Gryffindor."

Harry's jaw dropped open. "But-Hermione, why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

Hermione's eyes were teary. "You and Ginny had just gotten back together, Lupin had died, there were all sorts of reasons.

Harry sighed. "It's alright."

Turning to Dumbledore, he asked, "So, what do we do now? Obviously it's me who has to fight him, not that's even clearer than before."

"I must correct you, Harry. You are not alone. Others can fight with you but you have to destroy him." He stood up, turning his back on them, staring out the window.

"As for what to do now, it's time that we stop pretending that Hogwarts is safe. War is coming. Harry." The headmaster glanced back.

"I must speak with my army."




I hope that you liked this. As of right now, I have planned out what's to happen in the remaining chapters, but they have not been written and what with ten million ideas in my head, it will be awhile before the update comes in. If you wish to be notified when that happy day happens, please leave your email address and I'll tell you when it goes in.

Of course, after that riveting chapter, I must leave you with something to agonize about, just because I'm a mean person. ;)

SPOILER!!!

"He fears death. He fears what many have faced bravely. That is why he murders. He wishes for his enemies to face what he regards as the most terrifying thing imaginable. It must be bitter indeed when Voldemort sends someone into the unknown and they hold their head high."

Mwahahahahaha!